Introducing new cats

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, so I say keep doing what you are doing. If you do go out then I would probably pull down the sheet just to try to avoid any negativity that can't be monitored.
When I leave the house, Indy goes back in the bathroom with the door closed. I wouldn't leave them unattended at this point, gates or not.

Let's try moving Indy's food a bit away from the hallway so Duncan can get there without "having to go through" Indy. We'll do a little test.
Maybe I'll swap them around tonight, and Duncan can be in the hallway, Indy in the bedroom.

"Indy can roam between the bathroom/hallway/bedroom. He hasn't tried to jump over the gate since those first two times. That was weeks ago, though." - Great. Then at night you are putting him in the bathroom and Duncan comes in your bedroom, correct?
At night, Indy is in the bathroom, yes. Duncan can sleep wherever he wants, unless Indy is causing a ruckus, which happens. That cat can make some insane noises. If I don't close the bedroom door, he would keep me up all night. On those nights, I keep Duncan in the bedroom with me; otherwise he would pout outside the door.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I leave the house, Indy goes back in the bathroom with the door closed. I wouldn't leave them unattended at this point, gates or not.

Maybe I'll swap them around tonight, and Duncan can be in the hallway, Indy in the bedroom.

At night, Indy is in the bathroom, yes. Duncan can sleep wherever he wants, unless Indy is causing a ruckus, which happens. That cat can make some insane noises. If I don't close the bedroom door, he would keep me up all night. On those nights, I keep Duncan in the bedroom with me; otherwise he would pout outside the door.
"When I leave the house, Indy goes back in the bathroom with the door closed. I wouldn't leave them unattended at this point, gates or not." - Excellent, very good.

"Maybe I'll swap them around tonight, and Duncan can be in the hallway, Indy in the bedroom." - Sounds good if you think Duncan would do well in the hall. If not, just put Indy to the side against the wall and leave a path clear from Duncan;s bowl to the hallway leaving maybe 5 feet clearance from Indy. First thing I would focus on is the place that Duncan feels confident (so if he is significantly less confident in the hall that would be a concern) then worrying about where Indy is. You'll figure out what is best.

"At night, Indy is in the bathroom, yes. Duncan can sleep wherever he wants, unless Indy is causing a ruckus, which happens." - Great.

" That cat can make some insane noises." - Yep, they sure can. I have had many sleepless nights.

' If I don't close the bedroom door, he would keep me up all night. On those nights, I keep Duncan in the bedroom with me; otherwise he would pout outside the door." - Ok, great.

Sounds good. Let us now how it goes with the rearrangement. Will be interesting to see who they react. I am trying to figure out how focused Duncan is on Indy.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saturday evening:
I tried rotating them tonight. Indy was in the bedroom, and Duncan was in the hall with the bathroom door open.

Naturally, Indy took to his food right away, but it took Duncan a couple minutes to turn his attention to his own. I sat in the bedroom doorway, and Duncan immediately came over to see what Indy was doing. He hissed, but eventually, he walked to his own food and ate. Right after, he came back over, and the two looked at each other. Duncan hissed again, but I got Indy's toy out, and he was easily distracted by that. With my other hand, I pet Duncan's head and down his back. He normally loves that. When I got near his tail, he let out little meows. It was almost like a "who is touching my tail," kind of meow. He didn't get aggressive or anything. He realized it was me.
Anyway, right after that, he wandered into the bathroom and sniffed around. He was in there a couple minutes then came back out. I was still playing with Indy, so he came over, and I scratched his head again. Eventually, I opened the hallway/LR door, and he walked right out, and I closed it. That concluded that session, so all in all, a positive one.

That said, when I got home from the gym last night, I hopped in the bathtub. The bathroom door was open, so Indy could wander between the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Well, Duncan was on the other side of the gate, growling up a storm. I had to climb out with soapy hair and all to put Indy in the bedroom. Good grief, it's like having kids!

After both encounters, Duncan has been Duncan...happy, pleasant, etc.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday evening:
I tried rotating them tonight. Indy was in the bedroom, and Duncan was in the hall with the bathroom door open.

Naturally, Indy took to his food right away, but it took Duncan a couple minutes to turn his attention to his own. I sat in the bedroom doorway, and Duncan immediately came over to see what Indy was doing. He hissed, but eventually, he walked to his own food and ate. Right after, he came back over, and the two looked at each other. Duncan hissed again, but I got Indy's toy out, and he was easily distracted by that. With my other hand, I pet Duncan's head and down his back. He normally loves that. When I got near his tail, he let out little meows. It was almost like a "who is touching my tail," kind of meow. He didn't get aggressive or anything. He realized it was me.
Anyway, right after that, he wandered into the bathroom and sniffed around. He was in there a couple minutes then came back out. I was still playing with Indy, so he came over, and I scratched his head again. Eventually, I opened the hallway/LR door, and he walked right out, and I closed it. That concluded that session, so all in all, a positive one.

That said, when I got home from the gym last night, I hopped in the bathtub. The bathroom door was open, so Indy could wander between the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Well, Duncan was on the other side of the gate, growling up a storm. I had to climb out with soapy hair and all to put Indy in the bedroom. Good grief, it's like having kids!

After both encounters, Duncan has been Duncan...happy, pleasant, etc.
"Saturday evening:
I tried rotating them tonight. Indy was in the bedroom, and Duncan was in the hall with the bathroom door open." - Perfect. This week I would also like to try them both in the bedroom with Duncan closest to the hallway and or another ext door if there is one (I don't think there is). I would like to see him choose hall/exit over Indy (or bed over Indy, etc). In that scenario Indy would not have direct unimpeded access to the hall necessarily BUT since he can be distracted so easy we can keep him away safely and see what Duncan chooses.

"Naturally, Indy took to his food right away" - Awesome. Good boy Indy!!

" but it took Duncan a couple minutes to turn his attention to his own." - Not surprising.

" I sat in the bedroom doorway" - Good job.

" and Duncan immediately came over to see what Indy was doing. He hissed, but eventually, he walked to his own food and ate." - YES!!! AWESOME!!! This is EXACTLY what we want to see.

On a side note. I had a feral that was marginally attached to my feral colony. EVERY TIME I brought her food or even warm chicken she would hiss at me. EVERY TIME. And I was like "yeah, ok, whatever, here is your food". And she would eat happily. It was her thing. She would tell me not to try anything and then happily eat. We had a routine.

"Right after, he came back over, and the two looked at each other. Duncan hissed again, but I got Indy's toy out, and he was easily distracted by that." - GREAT job!!! Textbook way to handle it. And I LOVE that Indy chooses toy/play over confrontation. AND THAT shows Duncan Indy does not mean harm. Builds confidence and trust.

"With my other hand, I pet Duncan's head and down his back. He normally loves that. When I got near his tail, he let out little meows. It was almost like a "who is touching my tail," kind of meow. He didn't get aggressive or anything. He realized it was me." - Yep, this happens all the time. And tells me Duncan is still lacking a little trust. Duncan is on alert for problems so when something can unexpectedly he is on alert. BUT he finds it is you, nothing negative which builds trust.

"Anyway, right after that, he wandered into the bathroom and sniffed around. He was in there a couple minutes then came back out. I was still playing with Indy, so he came over, and I scratched his head again. Eventually, I opened the hallway/LR door, and he walked right out, and I closed it. That concluded that session, so all in all, a positive one." - AWESOME!! This is nearly perfect. This is why I am so confident.

Great job. Because of your efforts that is why they are so far along.

"That said, when I got home from the gym last night, I hopped in the bathtub. The bathroom door was open, so Indy could wander between the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Well, Duncan was on the other side of the gate, growling up a storm. I had to climb out with soapy hair and all to put Indy in the bedroom." - Just growling? What was Indy doing? I am guessing Indy was at the gate. Was the sheet down?

"Good grief, it's like having kids!" - Yep. ;)

"After both encounters, Duncan has been Duncan...happy, pleasant, etc." - And THIS is the most important part. Duncan is telling us that it is not a real issue. In the moment he warns BUT he doesn't really feel like it is an issue. This is important just in regular intros BUT with Duncan's health is is REALLY important and a very positive sign.

Great job. Keep doing what you are doing. Maybe mid-week try the (both in the bedroom session giving Duncan the escape to the hall).

Assuming everything goes well I think next weekend we are going to lure out Indy with a toy to the other parts of the house and see how Duncan responds. So far Duncan is passing the tests.

Keep up the great work.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On a side note. I had a feral that was marginally attached to my feral colony. EVERY TIME I brought her food or even warm chicken she would hiss at me. EVERY TIME. And I was like "yeah, ok, whatever, here is your food". And she would eat happily. It was her thing. She would tell me not to try anything and then happily eat. We had a routine.
Awww! I love it!

"That said, when I got home from the gym last night, I hopped in the bathtub. The bathroom door was open, so Indy could wander between the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Well, Duncan was on the other side of the gate, growling up a storm. I had to climb out with soapy hair and all to put Indy in the bedroom." - Just growling? What was Indy doing? I am guessing Indy was at the gate. Was the sheet down?
Well, yes, he was at the gate. I'm not sure what he was doing exactly because I was in the bathtub. No, the sheet wasn't down.

Great job. Keep doing what you are doing. Maybe mid-week try the (both in the bedroom session giving Duncan the escape to the hall).

Will do.

Assuming everything goes well I think next weekend we are going to lure out Indy with a toy to the other parts of the house and see how Duncan responds. So far Duncan is passing the tests.
C'mon, Duncan! You can do it, buddy!!

I do have an update from this morning, but I'll have to do it when I get home from class.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! I love it!

Well, yes, he was at the gate. I'm not sure what he was doing exactly because I was in the bathtub. No, the sheet wasn't down.

Will do.

C'mon, Duncan! You can do it, buddy!!

I do have an update from this morning, but I'll have to do it when I get home from class.
"Awww! I love it!" - They are so funny. When you delve deeper they really are so interesting.

"Well, yes, he was at the gate. I'm not sure what he was doing exactly because I was in the bathtub. No, the sheet wasn't down." - You didn't real commotion though? The fact they both bounced back quickly (acted normally thereafter) tells me it wasn't a big deal.

"Will do." - Great. use distraction on Indy as needed. I don;t get a sense Duncan would attack Indy is Indy is focused on something else.

"C'mon, Duncan! You can do it, buddy!!" - He can and definitely will. I have no doubt.

"I do have an update from this morning, but I'll have to do it when I get home from class." - Sounds good. I will check back.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning's update:
I did the reverse positions again today. Duncan and Indy both ate right away. Duncan came over a couple of times to peek in the bedroom, but he didn't show signs of stress. I can't remember if he hissed or anything, but there was no escalation of any point. After maybe 5 minutes, he was ready to head back to the living room. I kept him in the hallway a while longer, though, because I wanted him to see Indy wasn't interested in him. After another 5 minutes or so, I opened the door, and he headed to the living room.

One other thing to note: I have noticed the last couple of days that, when Duncan is eating on one side of the gate (when we're not doing the intros), Indy will sprawl out directly in front of Duncan and just watch. Duncan hasn't had any issues eating, and I haven't noticed him hissing or acting angry with Indy's presence.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning's update:
I did the reverse positions again today. Duncan and Indy both ate right away. Duncan came over a couple of times to peek in the bedroom, but he didn't show signs of stress. I can't remember if he hissed or anything, but there was no escalation of any point. After maybe 5 minutes, he was ready to head back to the living room. I kept him in the hallway a while longer, though, because I wanted him to see Indy wasn't interested in him. After another 5 minutes or so, I opened the door, and he headed to the living room.

One other thing to note: I have noticed the last couple of days that, when Duncan is eating on one side of the gate (when we're not doing the intros), Indy will sprawl out directly in front of Duncan and just watch. Duncan hasn't had any issues eating, and I haven't noticed him hissing or acting angry with Indy's presence.
"This morning's update:
I did the reverse positions again today." - Perfect.

"Duncan and Indy both ate right away." - Awesome. If there were real issues that would not be happening.

"Duncan came over a couple of times to peek in the bedroom, but he didn't show signs of stress." - Great. He is just checking to make sure everything is ok.

"I can't remember if he hissed or anything, but there was no escalation of any point." - If he did it must not have been serious. And watching Indy tells us a lot about the intent or seriousness of the hissing. If Indy is not bothered then it isn't really anything. The other cat always tells us a lot about what is really going on.

"After maybe 5 minutes, he was ready to head back to the living room." - Perfect. A sign of acceptance.

"I kept him in the hallway a while longer, though, because I wanted him to see Indy wasn't interested in him. After another 5 minutes or so, I opened the door, and he headed to the living room." - I LOVE to hear he wasn't interested. That is what we are looking for. If there were issues we would never get this. Fantastic.

"One other thing to note: I have noticed the last couple of days that, when Duncan is eating on one side of the gate (when we're not doing the intros), Indy will sprawl out directly in front of Duncan and just watch. Duncan hasn't had any issues eating, and I haven't noticed him hissing or acting angry with Indy's presence." - Very interesting. I LOVE to hear this. Makes sense as to why they are doing so well without a barrier. Indy is REALLY doing his part. I am SO PROUD of Indy.

And you are doing an amazing job!! Making those positive associations and positive encounters is really making a difference. I am so proud of you. It isn't easy but it is definitely worth it.

Keep up the great work!! :cheerleader:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tonight was almost a complete replica of this morning. But this time, when he went into the LR, he didn't go far. He kept poking his head back in the doorway. He ate right away tonight, but Indy took some time to get to his food, shockingly enough. He chose to play instead. It worked.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday morning:

We just got done with another round that went really well.

Indy: Bedroom, Duncan: Hallway

It all lasted about 5 minutes, not one hiss or growl. Duncan ate right away, and Indy soon followed. Indy ate with his back to Duncan, and Duncan ate diagonally. They took turns looking back at the other, but then they went straight back to eating.

Once Duncan finished, he wandered into the bathroom for a sniff and then wandered back out to the living room door. I opened the door, and he went straight out to his water fountain.

No drama! :banana1:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight was almost a complete replica of this morning. But this time, when he went into the LR, he didn't go far. He kept poking his head back in the doorway. He ate right away tonight, but Indy took some time to get to his food, shockingly enough. He chose to play instead. It worked.
"Tonight was almost a complete replica of this morning." - Awesome.

" But this time, when he went into the LR, he didn't go far. He kept poking his head back in the doorway." - Awwwwwww, that is really good. Sounds almost like he was more interested than concerned? Good body language?

"He ate right away tonight" - AWESOME!!!

"but Indy took some time to get to his food, shockingly enough. He chose to play instead. It worked." - Ahhhhhh, that is fine. Play then eat is really good at building confidence. Since it replicates the Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat routine in the wild (then groom then sleep). That helps show Duncan Indy does not mean anything negative.

Sounds fantastic.

"Monday morning:

We just got done with another round that went really well." - Awesome

"Indy: Bedroom, Duncan: Hallway" - Great.

"It all lasted about 5 minutes, not one hiss or growl." - Wow. THAT is impressive. A great sign.

"Duncan ate right away" - I LOVE this!! Positive association.

" and Indy soon followed. Indy ate with his back to Duncan" - Perfect. Indy does trust Duncan. Which tells me a lot of Duncan's actions aren't very worrisome.

"and Duncan ate diagonally. They took turns looking back at the other, but then they went straight back to eating." - Perfect. Trust building. Positive encounter. EXACTLY what we want to see.

"Once Duncan finished, he wandered into the bathroom for a sniff and then wandered back out to the living room door. I opened the door, and he went straight out to his water fountain." -Awwwwwww, such a good boy!!! Wow, he is accepting.

"No drama! :banana1: " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

Right on plan. Wednesday or so we'll do the feeding in the bedroom. We'll figure out how to position them.

They are going to be fine. I am so proud of you all!!! We have a little more work to go but the end is in sight.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuesday morning:

I don't remember much of last night's introductions, so they must've been status quo.

This morning, I tried putting both in the bedroom. Duncan refused to come in, so I moved his bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway. That did the trick, and he ate immediately. I would say they were about 6 feet apart.

Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him, and I tried to distract him with his toy to no avail. Since that didn't work, I just stepped in front of Indy and re-rerouted him back to his own bowl. I noticed that Duncan never stopped eating, even though he was faced in the direction that he would've seen Indy advancing.

After Duncan finished his meal, I opened the door and he promptly walked out.

The only meowing/anxiety that I saw from Duncan this morning was when I was bringing him in the bedroom, and he saw Indy. Once we got all settled, though, he calmed down.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuesday morning:

I don't remember much of last night's introductions, so they must've been status quo.

This morning, I tried putting both in the bedroom. Duncan refused to come in, so I moved his bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway. That did the trick, and he ate immediately. I would say they were about 6 feet apart.

Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him, and I tried to distract him with his toy to no avail. Since that didn't work, I just stepped in front of Indy and re-rerouted him back to his own bowl. I noticed that Duncan never stopped eating, even though he was faced in the direction that he would've seen Indy advancing.

After Duncan finished his meal, I opened the door and he promptly walked out.

The only meowing/anxiety that I saw from Duncan this morning was when I was bringing him in the bedroom, and he saw Indy. Once we got all settled, though, he calmed down.
"I don't remember much of last night's introductions, so they must've been status quo." - That is actually great.

"This morning, I tried putting both in the bedroom. Duncan refused to come in, so I moved his bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway." - Perfect. GREAT job!!! EXACTLY the right thing to do!!

"That did the trick, and he ate immediately." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

"I would say they were about 6 feet apart." - Perfect.

"Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him, and I tried to distract him with his toy to no avail. Since that didn't work, I just stepped in front of Indy and re-rerouted him back to his own bowl." - GREAT job!! You are becoming an expert in intros!! REALLY well done. What was Indy's body language like? Was Indy focused on the food?

"I noticed that Duncan never stopped eating, even though he was faced in the direction that he would've seen Indy advancing." - WOW!!!! This is such a big deal and a GREAT sign!!! Tells me he is like " I know that cat, he's cool". Just amazing!!!

"After Duncan finished his meal, I opened the door and he promptly walked out." - LOVE it!!!

"The only meowing/anxiety that I saw from Duncan this morning was when I was bringing him in the bedroom, and he saw Indy." - Totally normal and expected AND the great thing is nothing bad happened AND Duncan ate right away. So he is cautious BUT got over it quickly AND there was no threat/negativity so it builds trust and confidence. Test passed.

"Once we got all settled, though, he calmed down." - yes, and this is what is really important. understanding that Indy is not a threat, not a negative. And Duncan's understanding that by settling down so quickly. Then they eat (positive association) and it is a positive encounter which builds trust and confidence.

Keep moving Duncan's food a bit more inside the bedroom if possible. Small distances as needed.

Overall, I am ecstatic. You are doing such a great job (like a pro) and I am so proud of Duncan and Indy doing their parts. REALLY GREAT JOB!!!

Keep up the great work. :cheerleader:

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him, and I tried to distract him with his toy to no avail. Since that didn't work, I just stepped in front of Indy and re-rerouted him back to his own bowl." - GREAT job!! You are becoming an expert in intros!! REALLY well done. What was Indy's body language like? Was Indy focused on the food?
When?

Keep moving Duncan's food a bit more inside the bedroom if possible. Small distances as needed.
Yep, I'll be doing that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When?

Yep, I'll be doing that.
"What was Indy's body language like? Was Indy focused on the food? When?" - When Indy made the beeline to Duncan.
"Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him,"

My guess is Indy's body language was fine. He doesn't seem to have any issues with Duncan. But I just want to check and make sure I have the full picture.

"Yep, I'll be doing that." - Perfect.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Indy was chowing down on his food when he suddenly had a desire to check on Duncan. He started to make a beeline for him,"

My guess is Indy's body language was fine. He doesn't seem to have any issues with Duncan. But I just want to check and make sure I have the full picture.
Oh yeah, he was fine. He just saw another bowl of food and had to check on it. I've never seen an animal so motivated by getting more food all. the. time. It's nuts.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, he was fine. He just saw another bowl of food and had to check on it. I've never seen an animal so motivated by getting more food all. the. time. It's nuts.
"Oh yeah, he was fine." - Great.

" He just saw another bowl of food and had to check on it." - Yep, I figured. Hahahaha

"I've never seen an animal so motivated by getting more food all. the. time. It's nuts." - Yeah, they can be that way. It is helpful during intros, that is for sure. He is young. Some cats are just so food motivated. We can always get into more detail if it is a concern to you. I have an 10 year old that is crazy food motivated as well. Healthy, good weight, no food insecurity issues. BUT she just LOVES food especially what I am eating!!! Silly girl.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

We just finished another round in the bedroom. It's awkward getting set up because I'm trying to hold Duncan, his food bowl, and keeping Indy at bay. Duncan lets out little whimpers as I'm standing over Indy, trying to get him out of the way. Once I get everything settled, though, Duncan is fine.

Once again, I started off by putting his bowl a few inches inside the bedroom, which was a no-go. He stood in the hallway for a couple minutes, back to the bedroom, refusing to eat. I pushed the bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway, and he went right over and ate. Indy at with his back to Duncan, and Duncan didn't see to pay any attention to Indy...even when Indy tried to walk to Duncan's side of the room. I diverted him again, and he went back to his bowl.

We did this until Duncan was done eating, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I opened the LR door, and Duncan walked right out.

Done.

So it was a good night for us.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuesday night:

We just finished another round in the bedroom. It's awkward getting set up because I'm trying to hold Duncan, his food bowl, and keeping Indy at bay. Duncan lets out little whimpers as I'm standing over Indy, trying to get him out of the way. Once I get everything settled, though, Duncan is fine.

Once again, I started off by putting his bowl a few inches inside the bedroom, which was a no-go. He stood in the hallway for a couple minutes, back to the bedroom, refusing to eat. I pushed the bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway, and he went right over and ate. Indy at with his back to Duncan, and Duncan didn't see to pay any attention to Indy...even when Indy tried to walk to Duncan's side of the room. I diverted him again, and he went back to his bowl.

We did this until Duncan was done eating, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I opened the LR door, and Duncan walked right out.

Done.

So it was a good night for us.
"Tuesday night: We just finished another round in the bedroom. It's awkward getting set up because I'm trying to hold Duncan, his food bowl, and keeping Indy at bay." - Yes, I know. But you must be doing a good job. Just do your best. It is hard.

"Duncan lets out little whimpers as I'm standing over Indy, trying to get him out of the way." - Yeah, I am not surprised. But if that is all he is doing and Indy is attacking etc then it is fine.

"Once I get everything settled, though, Duncan is fine." - That is the key.

"Once again, I started off by putting his bowl a few inches inside the bedroom, which was a no-go. He stood in the hallway for a couple minutes, back to the bedroom, refusing to eat. I pushed the bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway, and he went right over and ate." - Ok. So he was facing away from Indy? How far in the bedroom (away from Duncan's bowl) is Indy?

"Indy at with his back to Duncan" - Great.

" and Duncan didn't see to pay any attention to Indy" - Great.

"...even when Indy tried to walk to Duncan's side of the room." - WOW!!! THAT is great!!!

" I diverted him again, and he went back to his bowl." - Perfect!!

"We did this until Duncan was done eating, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I opened the LR door, and Duncan walked right out." - Wow. Great. Sounds like Duncan is not really having any issues. His actions are a sign of acceptance which is great.

Any idea why he is resistant on going into the bedroom to eat? Is he spending less time (in general) in the bedroom lately?

Keep trying to get Duncan to eat in the bedroom. If he wont that is fine. But keep trying. I would like to see them in the same room. If he was worried about Indy he would not be turning his back. We are still on for this weekend with Indy coming out into the other part of the house if you feel comfortable. We'll use play to get Indy out and show Duncan it is ok and then feed Indy in that area after his play. With hopefully Duncan watching and getting some safe love. I would like to see how Duncan will accept Indy in Duncan's territory.

"So it was a good night for us." - I like your understatement, yep, totally agree!!

So we have some small things to work on but so far right on track. Keep up the great work.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Once again, I started off by putting his bowl a few inches inside the bedroom, which was a no-go. He stood in the hallway for a couple minutes, back to the bedroom, refusing to eat. I pushed the bowl to the edge of the bedroom/hallway, and he went right over and ate." - Ok. So he was facing away from Indy? How far in the bedroom (away from Duncan's bowl) is Indy?
Duncan faces Indy when they're doing the bedroom stuff. I'd say they're about 6 feet apart.

Any idea why he is resistant on going into the bedroom to eat? Is he spending less time (in general) in the bedroom lately?
I think it's because we just started this yesterday. I'll start moving the bowls in over time. And he's not spending less time in the bedroom.

Keep trying to get Duncan to eat in the bedroom. If he wont that is fine. But keep trying. I would like to see them in the same room. If he was worried about Indy he would not be turning his back. We are still on for this weekend with Indy coming out into the other part of the house if you feel comfortable. We'll use play to get Indy out and show Duncan it is ok and then feed Indy in that area after his play. With hopefully Duncan watching and getting some safe love. I would like to see how Duncan will accept Indy in Duncan's territory.
Sounds good.