Introducing new cats

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"How big are the gaps in the gates?"

This is what I bought. I think they'll work quite well.
Summer Infant 24 in. Secure Pressure Mount Wood/Plastic Mesh Gate-27540 - The Home Depot

My dad and uncle came over this morning, so I put Duncan back in the bedroom and let Indy out, so they could meet him. None of us was sitting, so Indy was a tad skeptical. He took a little more time to walk around and greet them, but he did traipse out to the backdoor and all about with ease. I think that, if we were all seated, and had he been out for a bit before they came in, he wouldn't have been cautious at all. There was a lot happening in that moment, so it's understandable.

I put him back in the bathroom again (after maybe 10 minutes), and let Duncan out. He promptly greeted my dad and uncle and didn't see fazed at all.

When I got back home, Duncan ran out to greet me, and we went into the sun room. Duncan looked like he wanted to go inside one of the boxes on the cat tree to take a snooze, but he stopped at the toy that I had put there a couple days ago (the one with Indy's scent.) He didn't seem bothered by it, no hissing or anything like that. He did get a little lippy when I went to pick him up, but honestly, he gets like that sometimes anyway. It's just kind of a "Put me down, I'm a cat...and I was just fine sitting here. Why are you moving me?" kind of snippy. I don't think it had anything to do with the toy. Shortly after, he found another level of the cat tree, and he's peacefully sleeping.
The gate looks great. We'll hang something over the top to block and slowly adjust it so there is some visual at the bottom (when the time comes).

"My dad and uncle came over this morning, so I put Duncan back in the bedroom and let Indy out, so they could meet him. None of us was sitting, so Indy was a tad skeptical. He took a little more time to walk around and greet them, but he did traipse out to the backdoor and all about with ease. I think that, if we were all seated, and had he been out for a bit before they came in, he wouldn't have been cautious at all. There was a lot happening in that moment, so it's understandable." - Totally understandable and normal. Not at all an issue.

"I put him back in the bathroom again (after maybe 10 minutes), and let Duncan out. He promptly greeted my dad and uncle and didn't see fazed at all." - Awesome!!! Great sign.

"When I got back home, Duncan ran out to greet me, and we went into the sun room. Duncan looked like he wanted to go inside one of the boxes on the cat tree to take a snooze, but he stopped at the toy that I had put there a couple days ago (the one with Indy's scent.) He didn't seem bothered by it, no hissing or anything like that. He did get a little lippy when I went to pick him up, but honestly, he gets like that sometimes anyway. It's just kind of a "Put me down, I'm a cat...and I was just fine sitting here. Why are you moving me?" kind of snippy. I don't think it had anything to do with the toy. Shortly after, he found another level of the cat tree, and he's peacefully sleeping." - Once again, awesome. Yes, cats like things on their terms so I think you are right he just was fine the way he was. I am not at all worried and actually am really encouraged by his actions. Honestly, it is great.

I think a great day.

How busy are you during the week with work and everything? Also, how is your stress level during the week?

I am thinking we do some visual next weekend? Another week of reinforcement is fine. They will just be even more confident and ready for the next. And you can practice distraction, etc. We'll face a little negativity when we do visual but we will overcome it. I am not at all worried. I am really proud of you and the cats!! REALLY GREAT JOB!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How busy are you during the week with work and everything? Also, how is your stress level during the week?

I am thinking we do some visual next weekend? Another week of reinforcement is fine. They will just be even more confident and ready for the next. And you can practice distraction, etc. We'll face a little negativity when we do visual but we will overcome it. I am not at all worried. I am really proud of you and the cats!! REALLY GREAT JOB!!!
Thank you! :yess:

At this point, I have been told that we're working from home through, at least, January 4. Outside of working out at the gym M-F for a couple hours each day, I'm here at home.

My work days are super manageable, so working with them will not be a problem.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :yess:

At this point, I have been told that we're working from home through, at least, January 4. Outside of working out at the gym M-F for a couple hours each day, I'm here at home.

My work days are super manageable, so working with them will not be a problem.
You are welcome but thank you for all you are doing.

Ok on work etc. That is great and helpful. It is especially going to be helpful getting the intro'd sooner since there will be some supervision. Most people only have weekends where they can monitor etc.

Perfect that the days are pretty manageable. That is very helpful.

We will start off slow with a few inches and then progress depending on how they respond etc. It is all pretty much on their timetable depending on how they do. We will want to try to make every encounter as positive as possible trying to avoid negatives. Even 1 minute of positive encounter is positive. It is not so much the length as it is the amount of positive. Then we try to expand the length of time. Always trying to keep it as positive as possible and try to end on a positive.

It will be really important to stay as calm and confident as possible. The cats definitely feed off the emotions of the human so it is important to stay as calm and confident as possible. Easier said than done I know but trying is important.

I am thinking you should continue doing what you have been doing (positive associations, confidence building, scent swapping, site swapping, working on distracting) and next Saturday if you have some time start the visual? What do you think?

Are you able to take video of them? And do you know how to post them either on here or on YouTube? Interpreting body language and encounters is easier when being able to see.

When we go to visual there will be some moments so emotionally there will be some ups and downs. I'll let you know how to interpret it. I am not worried, we can handle anything and deal with it. I bring it up because they are so good right now that some negativity could be a bit of surprise. It is really all about framing the expectations.

Let me know.

Keep up the great work!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, in addition to doing a fantastic job with the cats, you're my inspiration :heartshape:
:flail: I'll tell you what - I have NEVER been an exercise fanatic, but OrangeTheory has totally changed that. I'm not alone either. I have read so many stories, comments, and watched YouTube videos of people all saying the same thing. I think there's something in their water.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I am thinking you should continue doing what you have been doing (positive associations, confidence building, scent swapping, site swapping, working on distracting) and next Saturday if you have some time start the visual? What do you think?

Are you able to take video of them? And do you know how to post them either on here or on YouTube? Interpreting body language and encounters is easier when being able to see. "

Yes, later next week will be OK.

I can try to take video and upload it, but I'm still having issues with sending pics. I never even managed to get the pics I said I was trying to post here last week. I don't know what's going on with my phone. But I can try.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I am thinking you should continue doing what you have been doing (positive associations, confidence building, scent swapping, site swapping, working on distracting) and next Saturday if you have some time start the visual? What do you think?

Are you able to take video of them? And do you know how to post them either on here or on YouTube? Interpreting body language and encounters is easier when being able to see. "

Yes, later next week will be OK.

I can try to take video and upload it, but I'm still having issues with sending pics. I never even managed to get the pics I said I was trying to post here last week. I don't know what's going on with my phone. But I can try.
"Yes, later next week will be OK." - Great.

Oh my goodness, are they ADORABLE or what?!?!?!?!?! 😍 GORGEOUS cats!!!! WOW!!!

Keep up the great work. Let us know how things are going and we'll target late this week or the weekend to start some visual.

I love those pics. Think they are loving life?!?!?!?!?!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:) They're amazing!

I just woke from a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Duncan was snuggled in nice and tight, so I put his food and water in the bedroom and released Indy. He's wandering around the house now. I closed Duncan's carrier again, and I put a cover over his litter box. Indy is free to check out whatever else he'd like, though.

As always, he's quite confident. He DID try to stretch on and scratch my recliner ( :livid: ). Thankfully, I was there to stop him. I tried putting him on the cat tree and rubbing his little paws on one of the scratch posts, and he showed no interest. Oh boy. Duncan destroyed my furniture over the years, but when I got the cat trees, he took to them immediately. I'm hoping Indy will get the picture quickly. Aaaaaaand now he just went for the arm of the sofa. I need to break this habit QUICKLY! Any tips? (As I'm typing this, he has climbed on the arm of the recliner, and he's rubbing his face in mine, purring like a little engine.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) They're amazing!

I just woke from a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Duncan was snuggled in nice and tight, so I put his food and water in the bedroom and released Indy. He's wandering around the house now. I closed Duncan's carrier again, and I put a cover over his litter box. Indy is free to check out whatever else he'd like, though.

As always, he's quite confident. He DID try to stretch on and scratch my recliner ( :livid: ). Thankfully, I was there to stop him. I tried putting him on the cat tree and rubbing his little paws on one of the scratch posts, and he showed no interest. Oh boy. Duncan destroyed my furniture over the years, but when I got the cat trees, he took to them immediately. I'm hoping Indy will get the picture quickly. Aaaaaaand now he just went for the arm of the sofa. I need to break this habit QUICKLY! Any tips? (As I'm typing this, he has climbed on the arm of the recliner, and he's rubbing his face in mine, purring like a little engine.
They really seem like they are amazing. And they are absolutely GORGEOUS!! Seriously, they are stunning cats.

"I just woke from a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Duncan was snuggled in nice and tight, so I put his food and water in the bedroom and released Indy. He's wandering around the house now. I closed Duncan's carrier again, and I put a cover over his litter box. Indy is free to check out whatever else he'd like, though." - I was wondering if Indy was looking out of the window today. How cute is that pic?!?!?!?!?!?!

"As always, he's quite confident. He DID try to stretch on and scratch my recliner ( :livid: ). Thankfully, I was there to stop him. I tried putting him on the cat tree and rubbing his little paws on one of the scratch posts, and he showed no interest. Oh boy. Duncan destroyed my furniture over the years, but when I got the cat trees, he took to them immediately. I'm hoping Indy will get the picture quickly." - Yep. :( Cats. And the more we don't want them to the more interested they are in those areas. :( They are wanting to get their scent on the item to "own" it more. So that is what is going on.

"Aaaaaaand now he just went for the arm of the sofa. I need to break this habit QUICKLY!" - Yep, not surprising sadly. Again, all about getting his scent on it and "owning" the territory.

"Any tips?" - I like to distract with a toy as play builds ownership in the territory and then I feed some treats. Also, I distract with some love (if safe). I put a scratching post or a scratching post right next to the area so that they can get their scent on that instead. And there there is the "sticky paws" tape as a last resort (in my eyes). It is really all about ownership so the confidence and territorial security building mentioned earlier will help in the longer run while the stocky tape would help in the short run.

"(As I'm typing this, he has climbed on the arm of the recliner, and he's rubbing his face in mine, purring like a little engine." - My goodness, what a love!!!! 😍 How sweet is that?!?!?!?!? How adorable is he?!?!?!?!?! I LOVE him!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he like catnip? Sometimes rubbing 'nip on the cat tree helps.

23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles
I found some old catnip in a vial. I don't know how potent it is, but I sprinkled it around the base of one of the scratch posts and rubbed it into the carpeted post. He seemed mildly interested. We'll see how it goes. I do have a mix of scratching posts/pads for them...the sisel upright posts on the cat trees, a carpeted upright and one of the horizontal/sits on a floor sisel block. I keep that one in the bathroom with him. Maybe I should try the carpeted one in there, too. It's a small bathroom, but put that one in the bathroom before for that other kitty I tried to bring home. Maybe while he's locked up over the next week, he'll get the hint.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They really seem like they are amazing. And they are absolutely GORGEOUS!! Seriously, they are stunning cats.

"I just woke from a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Duncan was snuggled in nice and tight, so I put his food and water in the bedroom and released Indy. He's wandering around the house now. I closed Duncan's carrier again, and I put a cover over his litter box. Indy is free to check out whatever else he'd like, though." - I was wondering if Indy was looking out of the window today. How cute is that pic?!?!?!?!?!?!

"As always, he's quite confident. He DID try to stretch on and scratch my recliner ( :livid: ). Thankfully, I was there to stop him. I tried putting him on the cat tree and rubbing his little paws on one of the scratch posts, and he showed no interest. Oh boy. Duncan destroyed my furniture over the years, but when I got the cat trees, he took to them immediately. I'm hoping Indy will get the picture quickly." - Yep. :( Cats. And the more we don't want them to the more interested they are in those areas. :( They are wanting to get their scent on the item to "own" it more. So that is what is going on.

"Aaaaaaand now he just went for the arm of the sofa. I need to break this habit QUICKLY!" - Yep, not surprising sadly. Again, all about getting his scent on it and "owning" the territory.

"Any tips?" - I like to distract with a toy as play builds ownership in the territory and then I feed some treats. Also, I distract with some love (if safe). I put a scratching post or a scratching post right next to the area so that they can get their scent on that instead. And there there is the "sticky paws" tape as a last resort (in my eyes). It is really all about ownership so the confidence and territorial security building mentioned earlier will help in the longer run while the stocky tape would help in the short run.

"(As I'm typing this, he has climbed on the arm of the recliner, and he's rubbing his face in mine, purring like a little engine." - My goodness, what a love!!!! 😍 How sweet is that?!?!?!?!? How adorable is he?!?!?!?!?! I LOVE him!!!
In addition to the catnip I sprinkled, I did read somewhere that I can spray that feliway stuff where I don't want him to scratch. I have a bottle, and I haven't been sure what to do with it. I may give that a shot, too. I'll also try to draw his attention away.

He found his reflection in the stove again, so he had to stop and check himself out. lol He also jumped on top of the armoire. He's got "I'm a handful" written all over him. Prince Harry would've been a great name for him, and I've considered changing it, but I don't like what he's become. :(

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"You mean the actual Prince Harry?"

Yes - He was always my favorite because he played by his own rules. He's too whiny now, though, so he's been ruined.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to read "Intro" threads so I've read this one...I've put scratching posts by the corners of my couches and chairs, both sisal and carpet (my living room has 5 of them now...) to help with the scratching. Plus small cheapo rugs down on the floor for them to scratch on.
And one of my cats loves the cardboard flat horizontal scratchers so I place those around also.
Your kitties are li'l cuties!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to read "Intro" threads so I've read this one...I've put scratching posts by the corners of my couches and chairs, both sisal and carpet (my living room has 5 of them now...) to help with the scratching. Plus small cheapo rugs down on the floor for them to scratch on.
And one of my cats loves the cardboard flat horizontal scratchers so I place those around also.
Your kitties are li'l cuties!!!
Oh, thank you! :)

I have 2 different scratch posts in the living room, one RIGHT NEXT TO the first place he scratched. It's a small cat stand with multiple posts wrapped in rope. It's definitely tall enough that he could've used it to stretch and work out the kinks, too.

The other post is a taller, carpeted post on the back of one of the chairs. He could've used that, too, since he likes being over there to look out the large window.

The sun room has two very large, multi-level cat trees with multiple sisel posts on each level.

And there's a horizontal scratch pad box in his "headquarters," which I don't know if he's used or not.

So I have quite a variety all around the house. I'm hoping that, once he meets Duncan, he'll kind of learn the ropes from watching him. He seems to LOVE being loved on and getting tons of attention, and I have the feeling he'll want to be near Duncan as much as possible, once they get acquainted. Perhaps he'll have that need for approval from Duncan. This is my hope, anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to the catnip I sprinkled, I did read somewhere that I can spray that feliway stuff where I don't want him to scratch. I have a bottle, and I haven't been sure what to do with it. I may give that a shot, too. I'll also try to draw his attention away.

He found his reflection in the stove again, so he had to stop and check himself out. lol He also jumped on top of the armoire. He's got "I'm a handful" written all over him. Prince Harry would've been a great name for him, and I've considered changing it, but I don't like what he's become. :(
Sounds good.

"He found his reflection in the stove again, so he had to stop and check himself out. lol " - Too funny!!

"He also jumped on top of the armoire." - Yep. Actually I think that is a good sign as going high (Height) builds confidence.

"He's got "I'm a handful" written all over him." - Hmmmmmmm, I am not so sure. He sounds like a really good and happy and confident cat.

"I have 2 different scratch posts in the living room, one RIGHT NEXT TO the first place he scratched. It's a small cat stand with multiple posts wrapped in rope. It's definitely tall enough that he could've used it to stretch and work out the kinks, too." - Great.

"The other post is a taller, carpeted post on the back of one of the chairs. He could've used that, too, since he likes being over there to look out the large window." - Perfect.

"The sun room has two very large, multi-level cat trees with multiple sisel posts on each level." - Perfect.

"And there's a horizontal scratch pad box in his "headquarters," which I don't know if he's used or not." - That is great and something we will use as he expands his territory. I would guess he probably has used it............

"So I have quite a variety all around the house." - Yes, excellent

"I'm hoping that, once he meets Duncan, he'll kind of learn the ropes from watching him." - Hopefully. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. We'll get him to reduce that though either way.

"He seems to LOVE being loved on and getting tons of attention, and I have the feeling he'll want to be near Duncan as much as possible, once they get acquainted. Perhaps he'll have that need for approval from Duncan." - It is just tough to know at this point. It seems like he likes other cats. How close? Don't know. It will depend on both him and Duncan. As long as they are happy that is all that matters. Which I am sure they will be after this.