Introducing new cats

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a video tonight, but it won't upload on here. It tells me I'm missing an extension. :dunno:

If you'd like, you can PM me your personal email, and I can forward the email I was able to send myself.

His tail wasn't as high as it was this afternoon, but it was still pretty decent....and then the second he started walking away, it shot in the air.
Can you upload it to YouTube? I don;t know how to do that personally but I know others have.

Having the video here is best as it would help others watching this thread so they can see the interpretation as well.

"His tail wasn't as high as it was this afternoon, but it was still pretty decent" - That is fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

"....and then the second he started walking away, it shot in the air." - Yes!!! That is good.

Otherwise they did well?

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I don't do YT, and I haven't been able to attach it here or in a PM. It's fine.

We did the gates twice today, I think. It's all a blur at this point.

The 2nd time, Duncan did a really good job. I don't think he hissed even once, his tail was up, and he didn't take swipes. I was able to easily distract him. For the most part, he was unconcerned or even interested in the gates. He also ate straight across from the gates, maybe a foot and a half out. He had a direct view of Indy, but that didn't stop him. It did take a little bit for him to get around to eating, but I think that's because I forgot to pick his food up bright and early this morning, and he snagged some. :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't do YT, and I haven't been able to attach it here or in a PM. It's fine.

We did the gates twice today, I think. It's all a blur at this point.

The 2nd time, Duncan did a really good job. I don't think he hissed even once, his tail was up, and he didn't take swipes. I was able to easily distract him. For the most part, he was unconcerned or even interested in the gates. He also ate straight across from the gates, maybe a foot and a half out. He had a direct view of Indy, but that didn't stop him. It did take a little bit for him to get around to eating, but I think that's because I forgot to pick his food up bright and early this morning, and he snagged some. :)
Furballsmom, do you know how to attach a video onto the thread?

"The 2nd time, Duncan did a really good job. I don't think he hissed even once, his tail was up, and he didn't take swipes." - :yess::hyper::yess:

"I was able to easily distract him." - :yess::hyper::clap2: THIS is AWESOME!!! IF there was an issue and he was really afraid of Indy he would not be easily distracted. A great sign.

For the most part, he was unconcerned or even interested in the gates. He also ate straight across from the gates, maybe a foot and a half out. He had a direct view of Indy, but that didn't stop him." - WOW!! :yess::hyper::clap2: THAT is AMAZING!!!

"It did take a little bit for him to get around to eating, but I think that's because I forgot to pick his food up bright and early this morning, and he snagged some." - That is fine. Once he did he did amazingly well.

How much visual (inches) was allowed?

How did Indy act?

I could not have imagined a better update. This is awesome!!

As you would say "rinse and repeat".

GREAT job!!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! About videos, all I remember is that I followed the site instructions but I had to trim my video of Poppycat chasing a toy in the grass down to barely anything sizewise/timewise.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! About videos, all I remember is that I followed the site instructions but I had to trim my video of Poppycat chasing a toy in the grass down to barely anything sizewise/timewise.
Right, that's partly why I was having issues just sending the video to myself through email - the size was too big, even though the video was maybe :10 long.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8". It's been the same since I lifted it.

Indy is always consistent - Either he's right next to the gate making little meowing noises, or he's eating. He really isn't affected.
8" is great. I think this weekend (as long as all stays good) we should get it to about 10-12".

Great to hear on Indy. He is being really helpful!! The fact Indy is not posing a threat or looking like he might is VERY helpful.

When we allow more visual we will see more negativity. But how we distract and how we help them after will be important. So keep working on distraction and then reassuring after the sessions.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saturday:

I pulled the sheet up more this morning. I would say it's a little over a foot high now.

Duncan walked over to his side with me, and I sat on the ground. He walked up to the gate twice, I think, and let out little meows (veru slight growls maybe) and then hissed quieter hisses at Indy. I scratched Duncan's back, and he quickly turned around and forgot about Indy. He stood there with his back to the gates for a minute or so, so I gave him a treat. He continued to stand with his back to the gates, less than a foot.

When Duncan hissed, Indy just looked at him and then turned back to his food bowl. He didn't seem the least bit worried about Duncan's shenanigans. Shortly after eating his treat, Duncan ate his breakfast. The food was probably 2 feet from the gate, but directly ahead, so not off to the side of anything. Duncan stood on the side of the bowl to eat, so he wasn't looking directly at Indy, but he didn't seem concerned either.

This was try #1 today. I'm hoping #2 will go equally well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday:

I pulled the sheet up more this morning. I would say it's a little over a foot high now.

Duncan walked over to his side with me, and I sat on the ground. He walked up to the gate twice, I think, and let out little meows (veru slight growls maybe) and then hissed quieter hisses at Indy. I scratched Duncan's back, and he quickly turned around and forgot about Indy. He stood there with his back to the gates for a minute or so, so I gave him a treat. He continued to stand with his back to the gates, less than a foot.

When Duncan hissed, Indy just looked at him and then turned back to his food bowl. He didn't seem the least bit worried about Duncan's shenanigans. Shortly after eating his treat, Duncan ate his breakfast. The food was probably 2 feet from the gate, but directly ahead, so not off to the side of anything. Duncan stood on the side of the bowl to eat, so he wasn't looking directly at Indy, but he didn't seem concerned either.

This was try #1 today. I'm hoping #2 will go equally well.
:yess: :hyper: :clap2:

I was going to say let's go more visual today. You beat me to it! :)

"Duncan walked over to his side with me, and I sat on the ground." - GREAT job sitting on the ground with him there. Exactly the right thing to make a positive association.

"He walked up to the gate twice, I think, and let out little meows (veru slight growls maybe) and then hissed quieter hisses at Indy." - Normal, expected and honestly MUCH better than most intros. Duncan is communicating and Indy is being really good, posing no threat which gives Duncan more confidence and trust.

"I scratched Duncan's back, and he quickly turned around and forgot about Indy." - PERFECT!!! Distraction in a positive way. :rock: Always be aware that you are not at risk of being hurt in anyway.

"He stood there with his back to the gates for a minute or so, so I gave him a treat. He continued to stand with his back to the gates, less than a foot." - WOW, what a great sign of trust!! Really great job!!

And this is what we love to see. Duncan thinks he might be at risk, he communicates, Indy shows he isn't a threat, you reassure Duncan, and Duncan thinks "that cat seems ok". Turns his back telling us he doesn't much fear Indy. Honestly, doesn't get much better than that.

"When Duncan hissed, Indy just looked at him and then turned back to his food bowl." - That tells me Duncan was communicating and not threatening most likely. Also, that Indy is pretty confident which is great as a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

"Shortly after eating his treat, Duncan ate his breakfast. The food was probably 2 feet from the gate, but directly ahead, so not off to the side of anything." - Perfect!!! Exactly what we want. Positive association (food = good = Indy good).

" Duncan stood on the side of the bowl to eat, so he wasn't looking directly at Indy, but he didn't seem concerned either." - Perfect. It is fine he ate from the side. Not an issue at all.

Well, I am ecstatic!! They are much further along than I would have thought. Really great job and kudos to Duncan and Indy for doing their parts.

Everyone acting normal when there is no visual? I am assuming yes.

Rinse and repeat. Keep focused, do what you are doing, reinforce, reassure.

Really great job!! I am SO PROUD of you!!! Keep up the great work!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just worked with them again when I got home. I let Indy out and got his food ready. I think Duncan was on the other side of the gate, but I don't think he hissed or anything. I can't be 100% sure, though.

After I got Indy set up, I went to the other side with Duncan. He had just eaten, unfortunately, so he had no interest in his bowl. He was checking Indy out. While I was there with him, he didn't hiss, only let out little meows in Indy's direction. Indy just continued to eat. He (Indy) even had his back to the gate.

As Duncan has been doing, he turned his back to the gate and stretched. He also just kind of milled around calmly and not really caring too much about Indy. His tail was high the whole time.

I have put Indy back in the bathroom, and I'm back to hanging out with Duncan, who is currently standing on the arm of my chair.

I will try again in a couple hours, before I head out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just worked with them again when I got home. I let Indy out and got his food ready. I think Duncan was on the other side of the gate, but I don't think he hissed or anything. I can't be 100% sure, though.

After I got Indy set up, I went to the other side with Duncan. He had just eaten, unfortunately, so he had no interest in his bowl. He was checking Indy out. While I was there with him, he didn't hiss, only let out little meows in Indy's direction. Indy just continued to eat. He (Indy) even had his back to the gate.

As Duncan has been doing, he turned his back to the gate and stretched. He also just kind of milled around calmly and not really caring too much about Indy. His tail was high the whole time.

I have put Indy back in the bathroom, and I'm back to hanging out with Duncan, who is currently standing on the arm of my chair.

I will try again in a couple hours, before I head out.
"I just worked with them again when I got home. I let Indy out and got his food ready. I think Duncan was on the other side of the gate, but I don't think he hissed or anything. I can't be 100% sure, though." - That is great. If it was serious you would have heard something.

"After I got Indy set up, I went to the other side with Duncan. He had just eaten, unfortunately, so he had no interest in his bowl." - That is ok, it happens.

"He was checking Indy out. While I was there with him, he didn't hiss, only let out little meows in Indy's direction. Indy just continued to eat. He (Indy) even had his back to the gate." Perfect.

"As Duncan has been doing, he turned his back to the gate and stretched. He also just kind of milled around calmly and not really caring too much about Indy. His tail was high the whole time." - GREAT. I LOVE the stretch and the turning the back. Such great signs. Sounds like he was confident. Fantastic. That is very helpful.

"I have put Indy back in the bathroom, and I'm back to hanging out with Duncan, who is currently standing on the arm of my chair." - Perfect. Let him know all is good, normal, the same, and safe.

"I will try again in a couple hours, before I head out." - Great. In a few days (maybe Wednesday) we will want to extend the time a bit with Indy being done eating and see how they do when Indy gets less distracted and starts getting interested in you and Duncan. We'll see how Duncan reacts and use distraction to get them to look away from each other.

But for now, keep doing what you are doing. We just want to reinforce that Indy does not mean any harm. The next "test" will be Wednesday with more time spent and see how they do.

But overall, they are going to be fine. GREAT job!!! Keep up the great work.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunday update:

Throughout the day, I tried 3 different times. The first two times, I used their meals. Duncan didn't seem too hungry, so I decided to just see what he would do. He walked over to the gates several times. Sometimes he would hiss, though it wasn't a wild or out of control hiss, and sometimes he would do sort of a growl. Indy never had a reaction. He would turn back to his food and not care.

Since it wasn't at all bad, I decided to lift the sheet more. It's almost the height of one of the baby gates now, so they are fully seeing each other. I made this change with the second feeding. Again, it was mild hissing on Duncan's part, the occasional swat (more like just putting his paw to the gate), but he was always easily distracted. So many times, he was right up next to the gates, and he would take a quick bath, turn his back, or something like that.

So tonight, I decided to try it with no food...just face to face through the gates. It was pretty much the same, but Duncan spent way more time right up next to the gate. Indy sat/laid right on the other side. I left the bathroom door open, so Indy could go in there, if he ever felt threatened, but nope. He never once hissed back or showed any aggression.
I had Duncan's laser toy, which Indy has never grasped the concept. He tends to look at the toy and not the light. I used that tonight as something fun that maybe they could do together. At the end, it seemed to be working. Again, Duncan was right up next to the fence, and the hissing slowed to a minimum. Once it got to the point that Duncan hadn't hissed in 3 or 4 minutes, I decided that was a good place to break it off.

Duncan's body language throughout wasn't stressed. Sometimes his tail was straight up, sometimes it was hanging kind of low but tipped up. That last one was when we were playing with the laser toy, so he was in attack mode.

Indy, like I said never changed his demeanor, always just lying comfortably on the ground, watching Duncan....even through all the hissing.

I'll just keep doing this, alternating between meals or just playtime. If either starts to show stress, then I'll consider going back to just meals. I think it's going really well, though.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty Ziggy doesn't know what to do with the laser either. I adopted her when she was 13 years old, probably never saw one before! She looked puzzled.
Your kitties are doing great!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!!

I started this morning off with a little meet and greet. I had just given Duncan his medicine, so food wasn't in the equation this time.

I went out to the kitchen and sat on the floor, and Duncan came RUNNING over from the sun room.

Then, not one hiss, growl, meow, or anything! We sat out there about 5 minutes, until I pulled the plug. I wanted to stop it before Duncan may have changed his mind. Indy was next to the gate the majority of the time, and Duncan was maybe 2.5 feet away. He was on the other side of my legs. He would watch Indy from time to time, but then he'd rub his head on my flip flop, or move closer to me so I could rub his face. He did this over and over. He didn't seem at all stressed, and Indy was perfect. He meowed a few times, which grabbed Duncan's attention, but again - not one hiss, growl, or angry meow!

What a great way to start the morning!

I will try again in a little bit, once Duncan can have his breakfast. Neither has eaten, so I'll take this opportunity to move Duncan's bowl a little closer to the gate.

SQUEEEEEE!
I just did the breakfast with the two of them, and it went so well. Once again, Duncan looked over and even watched Indy, but not one hiss or growl. He even took time to eat breakfast. He was on the left side of me, so not right next to the gates or anything, but he ate. Eventually, I gave them both a treat right next to the gate, and Duncan and Indy both ran right to it and ate it. Duncan was inches from the gate, and again, perfectly fine.

It wasn't until I got up and went to pet Duncan that he let out a little whiny meow, but it wasn't in any way aggressive or angry. As I walked away, he trotted after me. :banana1:

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday update:

Throughout the day, I tried 3 different times. The first two times, I used their meals. Duncan didn't seem too hungry, so I decided to just see what he would do. He walked over to the gates several times. Sometimes he would hiss, though it wasn't a wild or out of control hiss, and sometimes he would do sort of a growl. Indy never had a reaction. He would turn back to his food and not care.

Since it wasn't at all bad, I decided to lift the sheet more. It's almost the height of one of the baby gates now, so they are fully seeing each other. I made this change with the second feeding. Again, it was mild hissing on Duncan's part, the occasional swat (more like just putting his paw to the gate), but he was always easily distracted. So many times, he was right up next to the gates, and he would take a quick bath, turn his back, or something like that.

So tonight, I decided to try it with no food...just face to face through the gates. It was pretty much the same, but Duncan spent way more time right up next to the gate. Indy sat/laid right on the other side. I left the bathroom door open, so Indy could go in there, if he ever felt threatened, but nope. He never once hissed back or showed any aggression.
I had Duncan's laser toy, which Indy has never grasped the concept. He tends to look at the toy and not the light. I used that tonight as something fun that maybe they could do together. At the end, it seemed to be working. Again, Duncan was right up next to the fence, and the hissing slowed to a minimum. Once it got to the point that Duncan hadn't hissed in 3 or 4 minutes, I decided that was a good place to break it off.

Duncan's body language throughout wasn't stressed. Sometimes his tail was straight up, sometimes it was hanging kind of low but tipped up. That last one was when we were playing with the laser toy, so he was in attack mode.

Indy, like I said never changed his demeanor, always just lying comfortably on the ground, watching Duncan....even through all the hissing.

I'll just keep doing this, alternating between meals or just playtime. If either starts to show stress, then I'll consider going back to just meals. I think it's going really well, though.
"Throughout the day, I tried 3 different times. The first two times, I used their meals." - Great.

"Duncan didn't seem too hungry, so I decided to just see what he would do. He walked over to the gates several times. Sometimes he would hiss, though it wasn't a wild or out of control hiss, and sometimes he would do sort of a growl." - OK, this is normal. Try to distract him a bit to diffuse any tension to try to avoid the hiss. Now, hissing is communication and when it happens and the other cat respects it it is ok. But I tend to like to like to reassure to avoid the hiss if possible.

"Indy never had a reaction. He would turn back to his food and not care." - THIS is awesome!!! Indy is doing his part and that tells Duncan that Indy respects him and doesn't mean harm. GREAT. This is really a big help.

"Since it wasn't at all bad, I decided to lift the sheet more. It's almost the height of one of the baby gates now, so they are fully seeing each other." - Ok.

"I made this change with the second feeding. Again, it was mild hissing on Duncan's part, the occasional swat (more like just putting his paw to the gate)" - Ok. As long as it isn't too defensive or offensive and Indy is ok with it. So if the paw is going there softly and gently then it is better if it is faster or more aggressive. You have good instincts so just try to make the enocunters as positive as possible and avoid any negativity.

"but he was always easily distracted." - YES!!! THIS is a GREAT sign!!

"So many times, he was right up next to the gates, and he would take a quick bath, turn his back, or something like that." - That is really good. A sign of his confidence that Indy is not a threat. So the hissing is more of a " don't even think of it" proactive communication which then Indy respects which builds Duncan's confidence. Really great.

"So tonight, I decided to try it with no food...just face to face through the gates. It was pretty much the same" - Great

" but Duncan spent way more time right up next to the gate." - Very good.

"Indy sat/laid right on the other side." - I love that Indy is not worried.

"I left the bathroom door open, so Indy could go in there, if he ever felt threatened, but nope. He never once hissed back or showed any aggression." - THAT is so great!!! I can't praise Indy enough. AND I think Duncan is communicating in a good way. Not aggressive but more warning.

"I had Duncan's laser toy, which Indy has never grasped the concept. He tends to look at the toy and not the light." - That happens all the time. The one issue with laser is the cat can't really "kill" it since it doesn't have a physical presence. So it can be frustrating to some cats.

"I used that tonight as something fun that maybe they could do together." - Just be careful that the cats don;t get too overstimulated and turn away from the toy onto the other cat. I often use play (hunting) during intros but I am also cognizant of overstimulation and it turning into a negative. So just keep an eye on that.

"At the end, it seemed to be working. Again, Duncan was right up next to the fence, and the hissing slowed to a minimum." - Perfect.

"Once it got to the point that Duncan hadn't hissed in 3 or 4 minutes, I decided that was a good place to break it off." - Great job. Positive association, positive encounter. After the play feel free to give a little "treat" to finish off the Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep way of life in the wild.

"Duncan's body language throughout wasn't stressed." - Great. That is the "tell". What is important. Let the cats tell you when there is trouble coming or already there. And then intervene to avoid a negative and turn it positive.

"Sometimes his tail was straight up, sometimes it was hanging kind of low but tipped up. That last one was when we were playing with the laser toy, so he was in attack mode." - Very good.

Also, watch the movements, their eyes, their eyes, if they are "tall", relaxed, etc.

"Indy, like I said never changed his demeanor, always just lying comfortably on the ground, watching Duncan....even through all the hissing." - Fantastic.

"I'll just keep doing this, alternating between meals or just playtime." - Great.

"If either starts to show stress, then I'll consider going back to just meals." - Yes, anything that is positive and distracts in a positive way.

" I think it's going really well, though." - It is going really well. AGREED!!!

"I started this morning off with a little meet and greet. I had just given Duncan his medicine, so food wasn't in the equation this time." - That is fine. Does Duncan need to keep his stress down around medicine time at all?

"I went out to the kitchen and sat on the floor, and Duncan came RUNNING over from the sun room." - Awwwww, what a sweet boy!!

"Then, not one hiss, growl, meow, or anything! We sat out there about 5 minutes, until I pulled the plug." - Perfect.

"I wanted to stop it before Duncan may have changed his mind." - Exactly correct. Maximizing positives.

"Indy was next to the gate the majority of the time, and Duncan was maybe 2.5 feet away. He was on the other side of my legs." - Perfect, positive association with you there and positive encounter.

"He would watch Indy from time to time, but then he'd rub his head on my flip flop, or move closer to me so I could rub his face." - Awwwwwww. Now running is his way of "claiming you", "owning you". So it is a little sign of some insecurity BUT overall positive.

"He did this over and over. He didn't seem at all stressed, and Indy was perfect. He meowed a few times, which grabbed Duncan's attention, but again - not one hiss, growl, or angry meow!" - Perfect. Rinse and repeat.

"What a great way to start the morning!" - YES!!!

"I will try again in a little bit, once Duncan can have his breakfast. Neither has eaten, so I'll take this opportunity to move Duncan's bowl a little closer to the gate." - Sounds good.

SQUEEEEEE!
"I just did the breakfast with the two of them, and it went so well. Once again, Duncan looked over and even watched Indy, but not one hiss or growl. He even took time to eat breakfast." - :yess: Perfect. This is exactly what we want to see. Positive association, positive encounter.

"He was on the left side of me, so not right next to the gates or anything, but he ate." - That is fine, not an issue at all.

"Eventually, I gave them both a treat right next to the gate, and Duncan and Indy both ran right to it and ate it. Duncan was inches from the gate, and again, perfectly fine." - Perfect!!

"It wasn't until I got up and went to pet Duncan that he let out a little whiny meow, but it wasn't in any way aggressive or angry. As I walked away, he trotted after me." - Awwwwww, that sounds fine. Who let out the whiny meow? Indy, correct?

Keep up the great work!!! You and the cats are doing great!!!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"It wasn't until I got up and went to pet Duncan that he let out a little whiny meow, but it wasn't in any way aggressive or angry. As I walked away, he trotted after me." - Awwwwww, that sounds fine. Who let out the whiny meow? Indy, correct?
No, it was Duncan. I think he was so in the moment, that I may have caught him off guard with a pet on the head. He was fine right after it, though.