Introducing new cats

Girltreadwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, that is a bit fast to have face to face contact with the cats in my opinion.

It is always best to follow the formal introduction process to build trust between them while building confidence as a confident cat is more likely to accept or be accepted.

We want to make positive associations (using food mainly) and to make every encounter as positive as possible. Having negativity can cause delays to intro'ing the cats.

If you would like specific advice I am happy to help. just start a new thread and let me know the title and I will help you through the process.

Cats are territorial so any new cat coming into "their" territory can be unsettling and cause issues including worry about physical well being and access to food etc. Some cats do better than others but it is best to build trust. Seeing each other so early is a risky strategy in my opinion. Following the formal process is the best to make the transition successful.

It is all about building confidence in each cat through Play, Food, Height and Love, making positive associations using food, and maximizing positive encounters and minimizing or avoiding negative encounters. Those are the fundamental building blocks of successful intros. Always keep those in mind.

Just let me know if you need help and if so what your new thread is. Good luck.
We are over 3 weeks in, that's why the vet suggested the feliway. They all eat side by side at dinner time too now. I'm using this to try and help the one cat who is still irritable as an extra step

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are over 3 weeks in, that's why the vet suggested the feliway. They all eat side by side at dinner time too now. I'm using this to try and help the one cat who is still irritable as an extra step
Sounds good.

Intro's should go at the pace of the cats. So keep building positive associations and maximizing positive encounters while minimizing or ideally avoiding negative encounters so as to build trust and confidence. Use positive distraction to avoid negative encounters as needed.

If you ever need help please ask.

Girltreadwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds good.

Intro's should go at the pace of the cats. So keep building positive associations and maximizing positive encounters while minimizing or ideally avoiding negative encounters so as to build trust and confidence. Use positive distraction to avoid negative encounters as needed.

If you ever need help please ask.
I would like to clarify i was never asking for help for my own cats; I was suggesting an option to OP based on advice I'd recieved already from my vet. If I need future help I will create my own thread

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to clarify i was never asking for help for my own cats; I was suggesting an option to OP based on advice I'd recieved already from my vet. If I need future help I will create my own thread
No need to clarify with me at least and hopefully others. I never saw your post as asking for help or "stepping on" this thread or anything like that. Sometimes I see a poster than may not fully understand the intro process. Sometimes I am accurate, sometimes I am not. So I offer help just in case it is needed and the person is afraid to ask etc.

If you ever need future help I am glad you feel comfortable to ask. That is all that matters. We are here to help people get to harmony as quickly as possible.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday:

Indy has been out since shortly after I put my last comment on here. It's been hours and only some mild hissing and growling. Duncan has decided that the kitchen counter and the dining room table are good places to "hide" when Indy starts getting rambunctious.
For the most part, though, they've done well with doing their own thing. I have no idea where Indy is currently, but Duncan is curled up on top of the sofa. All is peaceful in the house. Ahhhhhhh
How have things been going?

I am guessing pretty good.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's back and forth. Indy is out the majority of the day. They will go long periods of doing their own thing, and then Indy will come around. That sets Duncan off.
Indy keeps doing this thing where he will lie down near Duncan, roll over on his side looking all submissive, and then he pounces. Poor Duncan.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wednesday morning:

Well, they just had quite the fight. I went out to the kitchen, and there were grey tufts of fur all over the place. I don't see any blood, so that's good. At first, Duncan wouldn't let me near him, but it's been a couple minutes, and he just hopped up next to me without my coaxing. Indy has been put back in the bathroom/hallway/bedroom for a while.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday morning:

Well, they just had quite the fight. I went out to the kitchen, and there were grey tufts of fur all over the place. I don't see any blood, so that's good. At first, Duncan wouldn't let me near him, but it's been a couple minutes, and he just hopped up next to me without my coaxing. Indy has been put back in the bathroom/hallway/bedroom for a while.
Any idea what happened? How long was it?

Where did it happen, the same place as the other?

When Duncan hopped up how was he acting? How was Indy acting?

"It's back and forth. Indy is out the majority of the day." - Great

"They will go long periods of doing their own thing, and then Indy will come around. That sets Duncan off." - Yep

"Indy keeps doing this thing where he will lie down near Duncan, roll over on his side looking all submissive, and then he pounces. Poor Duncan." - Yes, that is total play by Indy. At least Duncan (most of the time) understands that.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any idea what happened? How long was it?
No. Right before that, they ran through the living room. Neither was freaking out, so I thought they had finally gotten to the point of play. Shortly after they reached the kitchen, I heard super loud screaming. It lasted seconds.

Where did it happen, the same place as the other?
Kitchen, yes.

When Duncan hopped up how was he acting? How was Indy acting?
He acted completely normal when he hopped up on the arm of the recliner. He was rubbing up against me or just sitting there.

Indy seemed normal, too, when I was corralling him into the hallway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Right before that, they ran through the living room. Neither was freaking out, so I thought they had finally gotten to the point of play. Shortly after they reached the kitchen, I heard super loud screaming. It lasted seconds.

Kitchen, yes.

He acted completely normal when he hopped up on the arm of the recliner. He was rubbing up against me or just sitting there.

Indy seemed normal, too, when I was corralling him into the hallway.
"No. Right before that, they ran through the living room. Neither was freaking out, so I thought they had finally gotten to the point of play." - I am guessing that is how it started and then just escalated.

" Shortly after they reached the kitchen, I heard super loud screaming." - Yes, there was probably a "dead end" and no where to go so it escalated.

"It lasted seconds." - Great. That tells me there was no bad intent. Probably defensive actions.

"Kitchen, yes." - Is there a "choke point" where escape routes limited?

"He acted completely normal when he hopped up on the arm of the recliner. He was rubbing up against me or just sitting there." - THAT is REALLY good!!!! That me that it was a blip in his eyes rather than something meaningful.

"Indy seemed normal, too, when I was corralling him into the hallway." - Great

And great that they knew where the line was. I know it doesn't feel like it but this actually was really positive. Sure, we would not want it to happen but if it does (and it does more often that we would like) this result is what we would be looking for.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Kitchen, yes." - Is there a "choke point" where escape routes limited?
The kitchen is a good size, and there's a half bath off of that. That's normally where Duncan will run and hide. Indy, for whatever reason usually stops at that point and won't follow.

Typically, my house is like a circle, so they could've run into the kitchen and around, through the hallway....BUT...the baby gates are currently there, so there's no way to keep running.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitchen is a good size, and there's a half bath off of that. That's normally where Duncan will run and hide. Indy, for whatever reason usually stops at that point and won't follow.

Typically, my house is like a circle, so they could've run into the kitchen and around, through the hallway....BUT...the baby gates are currently there, so there's no way to keep running.
"BUT...the baby gates are currently there, so there's no way to keep running." - Yep, makes sense. Once we get rid of the baby gates I suspect the issues in the kitchen will go away then so Duncan can go through and find a tree or something.

It seems all play to me that at times ends in a dustup. Happens all the time. :/

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thursday afternoon:

This cat (Indy) is absolutely driving me insane. He just won't leave Duncan alone. One example: Duncan was sleeping on the couch, Indy came over, launched himself on Duncan, causing an all out fight. This was the last of several today. He's back in the bedroom now.
I don't know what to do. I'm sick of hearing hissing and growling, and I'm sick of finding grey tufts of fur all over the house. I feel terribly for Duncan, as I feel like he's constantly on the defensive. Indy just doesn't get it. :argh:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursday afternoon:

This cat (Indy) is absolutely driving me insane. He just won't leave Duncan alone. One example: Duncan was sleeping on the couch, Indy came over, launched himself on Duncan, causing an all out fight. This was the last of several today. He's back in the bedroom now.
I don't know what to do. I'm sick of hearing hissing and growling, and I'm sick of finding grey tufts of fur all over the house. I feel terribly for Duncan, as I feel like he's constantly on the defensive. Indy just doesn't get it. :argh:
I know. They will do that. Young cats have so much energy and he is trying so hard to get Duncan to play. :/

My two ferals this morning had a good tussle, fur tufts, and then they went to eat and I am guessing sleeping away together right now. Third time in 4 days. :/

That launching thing happens all the time. That is the way many cats get the other to get into play.

Was it really a fight? Or like a "knock it off, I don't want to play" thing?

Duncan needs to tell Indy more forcibly. :/

Did Duncan and Admiral ever play?

What I tend to do is call a name, tell them to stop, a good "no", throw a toy, call them over to you, distract them looking out, etc. I also try to step up play to try to drain some of the energy though that is very hard with young ones. Indy is definitely a bit bored and is looking for some fun (rather than trying to drive Duncan away, etc).

Watch how Duncan rebounds to determine how much it bothers Duncan. We often tend to project our feelings as we want the cats to be happy, safe, etc. It is hard to not be too much of a "helicopter mom". I struggle with that all the time since I tend to take in those that have had difficult pasts. But we need to do our part and encourage the cat to stand up as well. It is really art.

Indy is all about wanting to play so the only real issue is that of annoyance for the human and then depending on the reaction of the cat, annoyance on the cat's part. I will say that I have learned to block out some of the craziness and when it gets too wild step in. But it does take a little time for many.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was it really a fight? Or like a "knock it off, I don't want to play" thing?
Well, Indy was standing on top of Duncan.

Duncan needs to tell Indy more forcibly. :/
I'll have a talk with him. :lol:

Did Duncan and Admiral ever play?
Sure, but they had an understanding since they were together most of their lives. It rarely got out of control, and neither one ever lunged at or hopped on top of the other.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Indy was standing on top of Duncan.

I'll have a talk with him. :lol:

Sure, but they had an understanding since they were together most of their lives. It rarely got out of control, and neither one ever lunged at or hopped on top of the other.
"Well, Indy was standing on top of Duncan." - They often do that without fighting. Some cats like to play like that if you can believe it. The reaction of the cat is most telling as to what it really was all about.

"I'll have a talk with him." - There usually come a time when we do have to have "THE TALK". Hahahahahaha

"Sure, but they had an understanding since they were together most of their lives." - And they probably worked out the style of play.

Cats are so different. Some like that pounce and wrestle, some like the run and chase, etc. I have one pouncer and one that is a once in a while pouncer. Some just play together with toys. It is all about personality and what they learned when they were young.

"It rarely got out of control, and neither one ever lunged at or hopped on top of the other." - Yes, that is why Duncan is having a hard time adjusting. But if Duncan is bouncing back quickly then he knows the intent is not negative.

I get a sense Duncan is more annoyed with Indy rather than fearful, distrusting, etc. Indy can't figure out why Duncan doesn't want to play. I get a sense Indy idolizes Duncan. :/ That submissive stuff he does is a big sign. Duncan seems to view Indy as the annoying little brother. :/ For now..................................

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get a sense Duncan is more annoyed with Indy rather than fearful, distrusting, etc. Indy can't figure out why Duncan doesn't want to play. I get a sense Indy idolizes Duncan. :/ That submissive stuff he does is a big sign. Duncan seems to view Indy as the annoying little brother. :/ For now..................................
Awww!
Indy has been starting trouble a lot, but I've noticed that Duncan, even though he growls and hisses, he bounces back immediately. So perhaps it is just an annoyance issue and nothing serious. Will he get past the annoyances eventually?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!
Indy has been starting trouble a lot, but I've noticed that Duncan, even though he growls and hisses, he bounces back immediately. So perhaps it is just an annoyance issue and nothing serious. Will he get past the annoyances eventually?
"Awww!" - It really is cute. Pretty cool.

"Indy has been starting trouble a lot" - Yes, they will do that. They just have so much energy and they see a playmate and kinda go crazy. It also tells me that Duncan is giving off pretty good vibes and Indy totally trusts him. That is another sign we look for, how the new cat is responding to the resident cat.

"but I've noticed that Duncan, even though he growls and hisses, he bounces back immediately." - This is exactly the key and thing that tells us so much. If there were issues and Indy had bad intent this would not be happening. We would see a behavioral change in Duncan.

"So perhaps it is just an annoyance issue and nothing serious." - I get a strong sense this is exactly what it is. I don't think (and confirmed by Duncan's behavior) it is any serious at all. It is all play. And especially with Indy doing that submissive thing trying to tell Duncan "I am your friend, let's play". I am not reading anything that is an issue.

We still want to let them know to "knock it off" and help Duncan tell Indy that enough is enough but they are totally normal and just fine.

"Will he get past the annoyances eventually?" - It will diminish as Indy loses the energy and the novelty of the new playmate. There will be still moments where he will tell Indy I am sure as that is how most cats tend to be but it should get fewer and fewer over time. I have two cats that still get annoyed while the other two are so over it. In my feral colony it is the same. My two closest boys are like brothers, will roughhouse one minute then be rubbing on each other and sleeping together the next.

I just don't get any indication Indy means any harm or negativity. Not only would the action be totally different but Duncan's response would be totally different. But in the moment cats will let the other know and it can look and sound terrible.

I had a siamese that was probably dumped at a young age. She was about 10 and all the other cats she got along with well. Then I added this feral boy and he LOVED to bully her. The intro took 9 months. He would back her into a corner, swatting, growling, hissing, fur, etc. Never any injury but it sounded oh so awful. Well, we finally got them to end it and my siamese would instigate to get him to chase, corner, etc. And when he would let her alone she would actually start things. Cats, they are unique. I realized that all that "stuff" they had between them was much ado about nothing. And the tell was she always rebounded right away and never acted differently except in that moment.

Every situation is unique but there are always "tells". That is what we watch intensely. If there are issue I will definitely let you know and we'll attempt to resolve them. So far, they are doing great in my opinion. In fact, I am trying to figure out when we want to take the baby gates down and figure out the nighttime sleeping arrangements.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I'm kind of dreading that, since Indy tends to make a lot of noise and play off and on throughout the night.
Yep. Until they get older they can be really active at night. I take in ferals and they tend to be even worse. :/ Mine will decide to have some chases and fun and it sounds like a train. My one girl LOVES to go into the cabinets. Opens them no matter how tight they are. She works at it. I have to make sure nothing is accessible. I knew someone whose cat would open the refrigerator. :( And my one girl loves to groom me about 2am. Oh the fun of it all................................ Hahahahaha

I have learned to sleep through the "normal" noises and get up at the "odd" noises. The human body is pretty good at adapting.

The good news with Indy is he should settle in hopefully soon. I think he is just loving life right now and his new home is like DIsneyland to him. The novelty will probably wear off.