Introducing new cat

samzoost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have an issue that's really been ripping my heart out for the last 2 weeks.

Me and my partner adopted Chloe, a 7 year old stray. She had been in homes before, I could tell because she knew how to use the litterbox and was really comfortable in a home. She seemed to really miss us when we were gone as we work a lot, and I thought having another cat in the home would ease her mind- maybe not at first, but over time. It could be beneficial for her in her old age. She was also gaining a lot of weight because we couldn't play with her as much and she loves to eat and sleep, so I figured having a kitty play mate would help that issue as well.

So, as it turned out, we had just been talking about getting another cat for Chloe. A female, young, and gentle. The same day, we came across Lacie. A 7 month old stray who was found anemic, and almost died. A very gentle, sweet cat.

Not surprisingly, Chloe was shaken up. Of course we had Lacie in a seperate room for the first week or so and have started integrating them. It's difficult because Lacie always wants to be around me, but I can see Chloe feels betrayed when I pet her. We have a XL metal crate with lots of food, water and litter box in it for when we aren't home or asleep that she goes in. Do you think 2 weeks is too early to start letting her out at night/when we aren't home? I hate leaving her cooped up but I don't want Chloe to feel traumatized by being alone with her loose.

It took a while for Chloe to warm up to us- but after the first month she was laying next to us, rubbing her face on our faces, and meowing at us. She doesn't even want to be in the same room as me anymore. I always give her treats, especially when she's being patient when Lacie is in the room, but it seems that each day is different. One day she'll be okay in the same room with everyone, not growling. The next day her eyes are super wide and she's nervously walking around the house for hours.

It breaks my heart that I've broken her trust so much. I need to know what I can do to make her feel like she's the #1. Of course I give her her food first, greet her first when I come home, and always make sure the little one isn't invading her space/food/litterbox. I don't know how to make Lacie feel included and loved without making Chloe feel betrayed.

Is this just going to take some time? Has anyone else had this experience when integrating an older cat? I know it can take 8 months to years for cats to become comfortable around each other. I didn't expect them to like each other right way, but I need Chloe to feel like she can take her house back. And protect her stand if she needs to. She often avoids confrontation and lets Lacie do what she wants, just sits a couple feet away and growls.

Sorry this was so long, I'm thankful for you if you've read through all of it. Please help if you can. My Chloe baby is my whole world and I have a knot in my stomach all day long thinking about her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn’t unusual that Chloe is feeling out of sorts with a newcomer in the house. But it is also normal that she appears to be deferring to the newcomer in that adult cats seem to have a built in instinct not to hurt a kitten. So while they will voice annoyance they will also give the kitten great leeway at least until the kitten reaches adulthood and then will be more likely to discipline them with a hiss or slap.

If Chloe can be with the kitten without a fight breaking out then I would leave the two together all the time to start developing their relationship. I expect that once they have some time together and Chloe gets over the distraction of the kitten she will start to return to her old routines including sleeping with you. In the meantime, if she lets you pick her up give her some cuddling that way or an extra treat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks so much for giving both of these strays a home. Hopefully in time they will be best buds. :catlove:

TCS has several article on introducing cats. Here are the links:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite
The Multi-cat Household | TheCatSite

Couple questions as well.
1) Is Lacie spayed? Chloe is, right?
2) Is Lacie eating, sleeping, using the litter box ok?