Introducing New Cat to Resident Cat

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for how long this thread may be. My resident cat, Amadeus, I have had since he was 6months old (he is now 7). He grew up with 2 other cats (1 being my Poe who recently passed away). We did not do the traditional introductions because a) Amadeus did not want to stay cooped up in a room, b) He sorta forced Poe to accept him quickly because Amadeus is overly bearing when it comes to cuddles and snuggles, and c) Poe was a very unique cat. He accepted all new animals within a couple days. Anywho, Poe passed away after being ill for quite some time and I decided to adopt a new kitty. I went back and forth about what kind of cat I should adopt (age, gender etc) because Amadeus is... a weirdo. He is very loving but I think he's missing a few marbles and he can be very feral-like when hunting bugs or the occasional mouse. My roommate had previously adopted a cat and Amadeus would terrorize her, so my adopting a new cat took a lot of thought.

I finally adopted a 2yr old male who is a rather larger cat (which is important to note as Amadeus is a BIG, possibly, maine coon mix of a cat. I'm talking easily weighs 18lbs and is 25 inches long not including his tail. And he is very furry). The new cat, Hermes, is very playful but in a lazy way, which i thought important because Amadeus is the same way. This time, I have been doing the traditional introductions. Kept Hermes in my bedroom for several days before even taking Amadeus upstairs to eat outside the door. Got them both scratching posts and swapped the posts so they can get used to scents. Starting feeding Amadeus outside the room door (it was shut). He didn't hiss once and Hermes tried chirping at him under the door. Amadeus even chirped back once or twice. Eventually I put a gate up so they could see each other. Amadeus would sort of hiss but mostly freak and run downstairs (like I said, he is a weirdo). I let Hermes come downstairs the past few days, and Amadeus sniffed noses with him. Naturally, Amadeus would hiss if Hermes got too close. Is it normal for that to still be happening? He will hiss and low growl if Hermes is too close in proximity. Hermes seems like he just wants to play (he even tries to butt wiggle) but Amadeus just isn't there yet. Amadeus has batted at him a few times too. Any tips or is it something that will just take more time? I'm also worried I could be making it worse in the sense that I am Amadeus' #1 human. I mean, he loooooves me. Any time I sit down he tries to climb onto my chest, he comes running when I say his name, etc. I'm worried that maybe he is being territorial over me? I do my best to keep closer to Amadeus when Hermes is downstairs, pet Amadeus, talk to him, praise him when he is behaving well towards Hermes etc.

Thank you so much for reading. I'm sorry it was so long!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it normal for that to still be happening
Yes, it is normal for Amadeus :) and you are very perceptive that Amadeus is feeling a bit territorial over you.

Mostly time, and continue to do what you're doing. From what I'm reading about them in your post, things are progressing pretty well. You/things can only go as fast as the slowest cat, so as you are doing, just be patient with Amadeus :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, that makes me feel better. I'll keep being patient and doing what I'm doing :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is going great actually. If you try to get *all* the work done through the introduction process, they might be separated for months, or forever. Quite often they need to do some work themselves. Its a good idea to supervise at first, until you are reasonably sure its all talk, and there will be no actual fighting. Growling is just talk, and even a defensive swat doesn't count. Fighting is very recognizable as fighting, with screaming, howling, fur flying, rolling around, that sort of thing. That is the only thing they can't work through, so your goal is to make sure they aren't going to do that if you turn your back. And don't look now, but its the weekend. Well not everyone works a 5 day work week I know, but if you do, the timing is perfect, assuming you have a bit of time! By Monday you should know if they are ok to leave together.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I also think things are progressing really well with Amadeus and Hermes. Normally I would post the links to TCS's cat introduction articles, but it sounds like you're doing everything they suggest.:thumbsup:

As long as the "aggression" is just hissing, all is likely well. It's fur flying, blood, and one (or both) cats appearing stressed and and major changes in behaviour that you need to be concerned about. Things like not eating normally or litter box avoidance issues.

Do tell Amadeus that you still love him, and that he's not being replaced. And maybe when they're together, give them yummy treats so Amadeus associates good things with Hermes.

Condolences. btw, on the loss of Poe. :alright: We have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a tribute to him, if you think it would be helpful. RIP sweet boy. :angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for making me feel better. Internet articles can only reaffirm so much, and it's nice to get affirmation from people who have lived through this and have experience. The amount of time the 2 are around each other is increasing but I still don't leave them alone unsupervised. Mainly because Hermes gets very playful and pouncey, and Amadeus is still unsure some of the time and can get hissy/swatty if Hermes gets too close. I take Hermes to my room at night or when we leave so both cats have a safe and comfortable space they are used to- Amadeus hardly ever comes to my room so him being mostly in the living/dining room is more his safe comfortable space anyway. I'm hoping over the next couple weeks, things continue to improve. Yesterday they were both comfortable enough to cat nap in the living room (Hermes was all contorted on top of the recliner haha).

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. Just keep in mind that sometimes (not always) the older resident cat can stay pretty much exactly as you are describing for months with SLOW progress towards full toleration. "I'm ok with you as long as you keep your distance and will hiss and maybe swat if you get in my face" while the other continues to try to play is a stable state for some cat pairs. Hope for more, but understand that for many cats they get more or less stuck there and hopefully inches towards full toleration. So at some point, you have to trust them or you will drive yourself nuts. If you are unsure they are stable, it is a good idea to give it more time of course, just don't want you thinking that they will pass some magic milestone. The might or might not have that kind of progress.

Last edited: