Introducing New Cat To Resident Cat

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm about to take in a 6 month old female kitty from a coworker's daughter that was looking to rehome her. I have my 1 and a half year old resident female cat of course. What would be the best way to introduce them to each other when I bring the new kitty home?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guide on this topic here:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

It is a really good guide, but it isn't a book, so feel free to drop back in and let us know how its going so far, and what we think that means for progression and such.

Before you get started, either get vet records from the coworker or take the cat in right off. You don't want to wait, because you dont want to make your cat sick, and the stress of the vet visit could create problems if done during the middle of, or shortly after, the introduction process. If the 6 month old isn't spayed yet, you can talk to the vet about the best time to do it. My thought would be before you start the introduction process to, again, not have stress interrupt a fragile process.

With cats this young, they are often ready to start playing and being buds almost immediately, so you can see how its going and adjust. There is no fixed time table, and excellent chance things would be fine if you ignored the guide and just put them together (not that I'm suggesting you do that).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The new kitty has had all her shots and been spayed. I just got her tonight. I have my resident cat in a spare bedroom and the new kitty in the spare bathroom thats separated. The resident cat heard the new one meowing and smelled her on me and hid underneath the bed...

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20181111_183009.jpg
newest member of the family! Meet Grey, she is super sweet

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's very cute.:catlove: Hopefully she and your resident cat will become best buds. :catrub:

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I come home and my resident kitty definitely knows new kitty is in the spare bathroom. I go to put her in the bedroom and I go in to check on new kitty and she hisses at me and has been meowing. I go and check on my resident kitty and her tail is shaking and just freaked out there is someone new there is obvious tension going on.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, this is what the introduction process is for. Follow the guide.

Do be careful not to think "kitty is scared, I'll pick up and comfort". You'll get scratched. When your kitty is really stressed, you have to leave her be.

NekosMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm about to take in a 6 month old female kitty from a coworker's daughter that was looking to rehome her. I have my 1 and a half year old resident female cat of course. What would be the best way to introduce them to each other when I bring the new kitty home?
Hello Jmiller, I just finished introducing my cats to each other! I have a 4 month old female kitten and a 1 year old male cat. Start by letting them smell each other. Rub socks on the new kitten and give it to the resident kitten. There may be some hissing but this is normal. Don't let them see each other face to face until a week or so. Let them exchange smells. Put the new kitten in a safe room. Switch the resident cat into the kittens room and move the kitten into the resident's room for about 30 minutes a day so they can smell each other without seeing each other. Let them see each other through cracks of the door. It took my cat a while to accept my kitten but now they play all the time and sleep together too! Best of luck

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Jmiller, I just finished introducing my cats to each other! I have a 4 month old female kitten and a 1 year old male cat. Start by letting them smell each other. Rub socks on the new kitten and give it to the resident kitten. There may be some hissing but this is normal. Don't let them see each other face to face until a week or so. Let them exchange smells. Put the new kitten in a safe room. Switch the resident cat into the kittens room and move the kitten into the resident's room for about 30 minutes a day so they can smell each other without seeing each other. Let them see each other through cracks of the door. It took my cat a while to accept my kitten but now they play all the time and sleep together too! Best of luck
Glad to hear of a recent successful kittys intro! How long did it take you to have them met face to face? I had put my resident kitty in the spare bedroom when I got home today because she was just so anxious about what was in the bathroom. I guess I just feel bad about disrupting her environment :(

I did go back in the bathroom to check on new kitty and she was way calmer after I separated the two further. She let me love on her some.

The tension between the two just makes me anxious, I think I'm in over my head, lol! This is my frst experience with introducing two kitties.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NekosMom17 NekosMom17 : Welcome to TCS. Thanks for sharing your cat introduction procedure. I hope you'll stick around the site and tell us more about your cats, and join in on the cat discussions on all the forums. We have a New Cats on the Block where you can introduce yourself and your 2 cats. :compsurfing:

Jmiller1011 Jmiller1011 : Don't feel like you're in over your head yet! It's only been 2 days. I've never introduced cats, but from what I've read it is most successful when the slow introduction procedure is followed.

NekosMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear of a recent successful kittys intro! How long did it take you to have them met face to face? I had put my resident kitty in the spare bedroom when I got home today because she was just so anxious about what was in the bathroom. I guess I just feel bad about disrupting her environment :(

I did go back in the bathroom to check on new kitty and she was way calmer after I separated the two further. She let me love on her some.

The tension between the two just makes me anxious, I think I'm in over my head, lol! This is my frst experience with introducing two kitties.
I let them see each others face while I cracked the door on the 5th day. There was some hissing but right when my resident cat hissed at her I separated them and tried again later. Eventually they'll get used to each others smells and when hissing stops try them in the same room. If the resident tries to hurt the kitten make a loud noise or have a broom in handy. It only took my cats a week to befriend each other, some take much longer. The vet also told me to keep the new kitten separate from the resident cat for at least week or two just incase the new kitten has a virus.

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this morning new kitty was meowing wanting to come out and explore before I left for work, which I havent been able to let her do yet. My resident kitty was looking underneath the door through the crack and just gently pawing underneath. She hasn't meowed, hissed or anything at the door at all that I know of. Good sign? It looks as if she is concerned more than scared now. Im gonna start doing the sock method when I get home to see their reactions towards each others scents.

NekosMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this morning new kitty was meowing wanting to come out and explore before I left for work, which I havent been able to let her do yet. My resident kitty was looking underneath the door through the crack and just gently pawing underneath. She hasn't meowed, hissed or anything at the door at all that I know of. Good sign? It looks as if she is concerned more than scared now. Im gonna start doing the sock method when I get home to see their reactions towards each others scents.
Yes they are excited to get to know each other. Make sure both are up to date with exams before letting them have contact. If the kitten is coughing or sneezing don't let her around the resident cat, she could have an infection! I'd still say wait until a week just incase the kitten pops up sick a few days later to be safe. I made the mistake of letting my cats see each other too early and my kitten was sick, caught something from her shelter, and now my resident cat is very sick with upper respiratory infection which is common in shelters..

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is all up to date on everything according to her last owner and have the papers. I was almost going to let them see each other but then Grey(new kitty) started hissing whenever Destiny(resident kitty) would be close to the door. Grey is getting really antsy in the bathroom and Destiny has free reign of the house. Should I confine Destiny to one room and let Grey explore a while?

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grey has been acclimating very well so far. I've let her out a couple times. She hissed once or twice I think in part of expecting Destiny (resident kitty) and smelling her all around. She went to Destiny's litter area really curious but no aggression at all. They have smelled each other on me and through the door and other objects. I think I'm going to try and have them see each other sometime this weekend.

Jmiller1011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They had their first sighting of each other tonight. I opened the door to Grey's area just a tad and she hissed. Destiny seemed more curious and wanting to play. I put Destiny in the spare bedroom and let Grey out and did the same. Opened the door a tad, Destiny wasn't vocal at all but Grey stalked toward the door and hissed at Destiny. I distracted them and have been letting her roam. I tried to give Grey treats but she doesn't seem to care for the ones Destiny likes. Destiny ate them up though. I praised them for meeting each other though... so I guess try again tomorrow? Grey seems to be a very confident kitty, she was raised with dogs before I got her. I want really expecting for Grey to be the more aggressive one as far as them meeting each other since it's not her territory.

Should I chalk this up as a decent first meeting between the two? Lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think a bit of hissing is normal. Let's see how things go today.