Introducing new cat, things were going well but they suddenly regressed

cloudropis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a six years old female cat I've had for the past five years, and she's the queen of the house. One month ago or so we "got" a one year old male cat, "feral" but well kept, possibly abandoned, who decided to live with us. I've spent the majority of the time trying to make them acquainted.

Unfortunately I couldn't follow the proper introduction protocol - you know, keep them separated, let they sniff each other through a door, gradually have them interact through a gate etc etc, for a simple reason: I live in the boonies, and they both love spending a lot of time outside. The female cat spends most of the time outside as long as the weather allows it, and the new cat is the same, he even refused to get inside for the first week or so because he didn't trust us yet. This means they spend time unsupervised and it's pretty much impossible to keep them 100% separated.

Luckily, introductions didn't go that badly. Our F cat is pretty territorial because she's used to feral cats jumping in our garden trying to pick up fights every now and then. She hissed and growled lightly but never outright attacked, at best she would dash in his face, hiss loudly, and then hastily scurry away. M cat was very chill, he's very playful and curious, he always takes submissive stances whenever the other cat bothers him, at best he turned one of her "aggressions" into a chase in his favor a couple of times, but is otherwise the chillest cat.
A few weeks later and things are going pretty okay, we spend time with them outside and they tolerate each other fine, she ignores him until he really gets into her face, and I even caught them sniffing each other and her rolling on her side playfully once. They mostly ignore each other when he's inside in the female's domain. We even started feeling comfortable in leaving the house with both cats outside. Suddenly, things took a weird nosedive.

Last Tuseday and Wednesday weather was terrible and both cats stayed inside for two full days without seeing each other. Note: Male cat likes staying inside now, and he has his own personal domain where he's undisturbed and untouched by our cat or dog. Now that they are out again, she's sort of... Regressed? Almost like she forgot who he was and is starting anew. She growls a lot more and kind of bullies him even when he's minding his own business: ie, he's prancing around and she gets into his face, and everytime he tries to take a step anywhere she does it again until he starts fleeing. She's also a lot more nervous outside, growling and hissing even minutes after I broke up a fight, and she avoids my touch even though she was used to playing with me while the other cat was a few meters of the garden away less than five days prior.

What happened? Did she forget his smell after not seeing him for two days or something like that? I got Feliway Friends a week ago or so, and by now it should be in full effect in our living room (where the F cat spends most of the time inside), why is she more nervous now? She's otherwise great, doesn't have any symptoms of anxiety, no compulsive licking, she goes to the bathroom absolutely fine, still sleeps with me or on her usual bed, she's chill as usual once she actually gets inside and so on. It's just, now when she's outside with him she acts worse than she did a month ago, and I really don't understand why.

PS: both cats are neutered/spayed, they both have access to food, water, litter and everything a cat may want without interfering with each other's

PPS: this post was written in other forums a few weeks ago. I didn't get the opportunity to follow my cats that much compared to before due to university, luckily my parents take care of them. Today I got the opportunity to look at them interact in our garden for the first time since then: she's aggressive towards him, never fully attacks but now charges at him whenever he moves, and he's fully submitted. It breaks my heart. She used to let him play with us as we split our attentions to them both, but now she just goes crazy whenever he starts walking anywhere, and he's a lot more submissive than before. I have no idea what caused this regression. I actually unplugged Feliway because this started more or less when it should've started taking full effect.
Attaching pic of today's interaction: she got in his face and slowly backed away and started grooming, but as soon as he'd move she'd approach again
IMG_20191011_155230_979.jpg IMG_20191011_155248_544.jpg IMG_20191011_155250_949.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! My guess would be that this is non-recognition aggression. Usually, we see it if one cat goes to the vet and then the other stays home, but I suppose it can happen in a situation like this as well. Cats recognize each other largely by scent, so after spending two days completely inside, your male cat might smell different to your female cat, which could be what is triggering this aggression. You may have to try reintroducing them slowly, like this article suggests: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Non-Recognition Aggression is what I immediately thought of, as well, since they had been isolated from each other. However, there is a possibility that this could be redirected aggression, as well, if your girl was startled by something when the two met again. Also fixable!

Regardless, things can get better! And with cats, you get a do-over!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this is not smell based non-recognition because if it is, it sounds like it could be an ongoing problem whenever they have to stay in. The articles are informative, but I don't think they really have anything that is going to work in your specific situation, since they are indoor/outdoor cats and the problem started when they were in for two days so keeping them in seems a dubious solution. I guess you have to trust that they will work it out. Since they arent actually full on fighting, there is a good chance they can.

I mean, usually with indoor/outdoor cats, one cat will flee to the outdoors as a way to avoid tension, so to accelerate the intro you have to force one or both to stay in. Your situation is the opposite, them being inside is what caused the problem, so I dunno.

Only thing I can say is that when I had 2 indoor/outdoor, they were generally willing to go out for a few minutes here and there even on bad weather days. Although who knows if they smell the same on wet days as dry.

Sorry for rambling a bit...I do think they will be able to work it out. Unless there is bloodshed or genuine fighting, cats can usually resolve things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloudropis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help everyone.
I hoped it wasn't non-recognition aggression, although it quite fits the bill considering the circumstances behind the change in mood. It's.. Quite disheartening to know that weeks of work has come undone just because a door divided them for a day. Luckily it won't be a problem in the future, once they will finally tolerate each other, as the new cat will have full access of the house and won't have to be kept separated most of the time as he is now, but now I wonder how long it will take to even get to that point.
Guess I'll just start from scratch and do the proper introductions again. However, as I've mentioned in my first post, they spend at least a few hours outside together, so it's not really possible to keep them fully separated as ever guide says, which really throws a wrench in the procedure.
It's so, so weird to see them act so differently, before things went south she would initiate "fights" but he was so smug and playful he'd be the one to actually chase her around, now she can barely stop bothering him while his body goes immediately limp from submission (check pic number one for reference). Sorry for the rambling, but it's really unnerves me. I'll try to rework my schedule to have more supervised time together.
Do you think Feliway may be causing problems? Something like, it overwrites the smell of the "real" new cat and doesn't let my old cat recognize him? My mom jokes that she likes Feliway more than him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Beautiful cats. The orange one (the male?) looks a bit like my Ruby girl. :lovecat2: And I love the white tip on the black cat's (female?) tail. :bigeyes:

I think, as A ArtNJ mentioned, the fact that they both are indoor/outdoor makes introductions more difficult. However, things don't look that bad in those pictures.

after I broke up a fight
Was this an actual fight, with claws and fur flying? Or just growling/hissing?

I don't think this is the situation in your case, however, sometimes cats playing looks like fighting. Here's a TCS article that explains how to tell the difference:

About the Feliway, since the cats aren't always inside, I don't know if it's going to be helpful or not. But if your Mom likes it, at least it isn't going to waste. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloudropis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Beautiful cats. The orange one (the male?) looks a bit like my Ruby girl. :lovecat2: And I love the white tip on the black cat's (female?) tail. :bigeyes:

I think, as A ArtNJ mentioned, the fact that they both are indoor/outdoor makes introductions more difficult. However, things don't look that bad in those pictures.

Was this an actual fight, with claws and fur flying? Or just growling/hissing?

I don't think this is the situation in your case, however, sometimes cats playing looks like fighting. Here's a TCS article that explains how to tell the difference:

About the Feliway, since the cats aren't always inside, I don't know if it's going to be helpful or not. But if your Mom likes it, at least it isn't going to waste. ;)
Yes, that's them! I see the resemblance with Ruby, orange cats are so cool.
No it wasn't an actual fight, luckily they never broke out into one. It was the usual hissing/staring contest. I'm not sure if it qualifies as playing though, considering how submissive the male one gets.
Today I finally managed to spend some time with them outside, and she actually played with me as usual without thinking about the male cat too much. She then started her usual routine with him, but I didn't need to intervene and actually spent some time in his vicinities without keeping her guard up (pic below). All in all, it was a great day and I'm starting to believe it will work out again!
cats.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's going to work out too. Fingers crossed it never progresses further than hissing/staring. :crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...hissing and staring is not outside of normal, especially for cats who are still fairly new to each other. It comes under the heading of "sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say." They're learning each other's boundaries, and to some extent, jockeying for position. That's going to happen. So long as it doesn't come to fur in the air and blood on the floor, you're not doing as badly as you fear you are. When they are in the same area, let them "talk it out," but keep a large pillow near by. SHOULD an actual fight break out you can use the pillow to get between them and herd one of them away without endangering yourself. You may never need it, but you'll feel better knowing it is there.