Introducing New Cat Help!

Jazmyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a one year old female who has been living with me in my studio apartment. We recently decided to take in another cat (male, 8 months) that needed a home, and Day 1 was yesterday. Because we are in a studio, my grandma let us borrow her big dog kennel that fits his litter box, food, sleep mat, and toys.

We first tried to just put him in the kitchen and have a baby gate separating him from the living area before trying kennel. My cat originally hid under the bed, but she later slowly came out and from a distance was watching him through the baby gate. I played with him, my boyfriend tried to play with our cat but she was too on edge. It was going great for quite a while, when the new cat suddenly jumped over the baby gate and went right after her. She went under the bed and there was a big loud fight down there she was running all around trying to go up the walls to escape and ended up on the nightstand with him hovering over her on the bed. She ended up pooping there too.

He wasn’t trying to be aggressive and wasn’t hissing at her or even running as fast, but she is just super super scared. So we got him in the kennel and put it in living area by front door hoping she’d calm down. Instead, she hid behind toilet most of the night and then under the bed. She wouldn’t even go to her food or litter box.

So this morning I moved him into the bathroom with door shut. He has all necessities with toys and a small cat tower/scratcher. I feel bad because I don’t want to keep him locked in the kennel all the time but the bathroom is only slightly better. As soon as I put him in the bathroom she started to come out from under the bed.

Is it bad of me to keep him in the bathroom anytime we are not home, and then when we are home either play with him in bathroom or try to barricade the place where we had baby gate so then he’d have bathroom and kitchen? Or what else do I do until my cat stops being so scared? I’ve heard it take a week or more for things to maybe get better but give me all the advice!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it bad of me to keep him in the bathroom anytime we are not home, and then when we are home either play with him in bathroom or try to barricade the place where we had baby gate so then he’d have bathroom and kitchen?
Hi! No, this isn't bad, particularly if it helps her.

She needs as much love and attention as she'll let you give her to build her confidence.

I don't know if you've seen this, but it might help;

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby gates don't really work unless double stacked. Some of our members have bought stuff at Home Depot or elsewhere to improvise as well.

Studios are hard for intros, but the good news is that your cats are so young the odds are really good they will be friends eventually.

Read the guide linked above and consider if you can make double stacked baby gates work.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And while the bathroom is not ideal, it can work. However, give your girl some time in the bathroom with the new boy out and about. This help spread everyone's scent everywhere, and sets up the idea of "shared territory" in their little fuzzy kitty brains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazmyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And while the bathroom is not ideal, it can work. However, give your girl some time in the bathroom with the new boy out and about. This help spread everyone's scent everywhere, and sets up the idea of "shared territory" in their little fuzzy kitty brains.
How do I get her into the bathroom without upsetting her? She hasn’t been letting us pet her very much and I don’t want to stress her out more by forcing her in the bathroom? I do think the idea sounds good

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathrooms that you need to use make terrible isolation rooms. If you have to pee at night when you are too tired to focus on containment, boom you have an escape and forget about getting back to sleep. Even during the day, preventing escapes when you use the bathroom is really hard. Been there, tried that, couldn't make it work. I do have to get up during the night to use the bathroom, so that didn't help, but its HARD.

Honestly, in a studio, with cats this young, I'd just let them work it out. Thats going to be least stressful for everyone. Time together can work miracles, and cats this young have excellent odds of working their way to friendship. What you are describing is just common-level bumps along the way. It would be different if they were actually fighting -- you would have no choice but to try a real and potentially lengthy intro process. But thankfully, you don't have that. Absent fighting, cats can and do get through this stuff on their own, especially cats this young.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And remember...if there is no blood on the floor, or fur in the air, IT IS NOT A REAL CAT FIGHT! Their discussions can get very heated, and loud, and scary sounding, but that's just a matter of "Sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say!"