Introducing new adult cat to older residental cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the above video.
I was following your other thread in behaviour. You got some great advice there.
Will you be 're-starting the cat intros...from the beginning' again? With all the steps involved?
Or are you doing a different type of cat intro?

Can you post the videos from March 7, and March 9th....in this thread, too?
For now I want to keep going but with reduced free roam time. They've never had an actual cat fight, and at most they just do a one sided or mutual smack. Sometimes they don't even land their smacks. It makes me feel like they don't really want to fight, and NC is being overly cautious trying to be dominant while RC sometimes just reacts to the momentary aggression from NC. I also consulted a cat behaviorist with a very shortened summary of their time so far and she seemed like she was shocked and told me to reintroduce... But I just don't think it's a good choice as they don't care about anything other than just face to face sight seeing, and it's only one sided from NC.

i don't know if its the reason but she is calm more often after it reduced her roam time. I also figured out a way to prevent her from jumping over the gate so she can hang out and see us but can not come out.

She did something kind of strange today which just makes me feel like I don't need reintroduction but just more time and positive association. I know smell is a big thing for cat introduction but I really feel like they are beyond that point. Earlier today, RC was sleeping in his carrier, and we let NC free roam a bit. She was hanging around us smelling and then walking around the living area. She started being interested in smelling the carrier (RC was sleeping with his butt outward). She did not act like hunting or stalking but more just sniffing curiously and calmly. Of course she smelled him close enough that he perked his head up, at which point when NC saw his face, she hissed a little and did a small smack before running off. RC just looked at me with a bewildered face hahaha.... But it just makes me feel like smell really isn't the thing that I need to reintroduce. After a minute RC came out of his carrier and went to follow my GF, so it doesn't seem like that incident made him scared.

As requested I will share the videos from the previous few days as well

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that the behaviourist told you to reintroduce.
Did they watch the same videos, that you posted here?
I would have thought, that they would have given you concrete tips and advice of what to do next.
But okay, I guess they've had way more experience with these type of intros.

The reason that I asked for the videos, again, is because I noticed something in the March 7th one, but could not find anything online, talking about it.
If you re-watch the video, Both NC and RC do this thing with their heads...where they kind of dip them down.
It's at the 0:07 mark, where NC does it first, but RC does it next at the 0:18 mark...and then when NC walks past RC...he does kind of go down and back, but pops up so fast towards his bowl.

(I'm really not sure if cats do this before they want to play...or run at each other...or maybe it's just a simple body movement to indicate that they are watching the other cat...but I thought maybe they were like signalling each other.)😼

(I remember walking my previous dog in a dog park, and he was on leash, black retriever, about 1 year old at the time.
My dog would see another dog, coming up the hill and lay down...and want to wait for the dog. He liked playing with any dog.
Anyhow, some older guy with a german sheppard, told me to teach my dog to stop doing the laying down part. Well, I told him, that he learned that behaviour from watching other dogs in the park, since he had never done it before. The old guy just walked off in a huff..so I never got to understand why he thought it was so bad and intimidating for my younger dog to do this. Other dogs would do this too, and my dog would excitedly watch them, copy them,..and run around a lot, when we came to the off leash part. That guy with the gsd...kind of always stayed on the other side of the park, ..so I don't know...maybe it made his dog, kind of nervous.)

The last video, is very revealing, but not only because NC hisses at RC...but for everything leading up to the hiss.
RC totally deserved that hiss.
If you look at the 1:15 mark...that is when RC notices NC.
She's been sort of crouched there, the whole time, ..and at first...I thought..she kind of looks sick, or ill, or not really engaging with anyone...except she does listen to your voice, and she is paying attention to your gf.
I just found it strange, that she is not 'tracking the toy with her eyes'...all that much...she does it a bit...but not much.

**Could you in the future, take out 2 wand toys,...and see if both RC and NC will play with each of you.
Not too close together...but in the same room.
And then switch which cat you play with.
And get a little bit closer...but so that the cats...have their fronts facing each other, for like five minutes,...and then their backs facing each other...for another five minutes.
Just notice how much of a difference each cat displays, when they are playing towards each other...or with their backs to each other.
When are they more alert, and on guard.

I don't think the hiss was a big thing at all...and I actually thought it was a good thing.
The way you both handled it, was fantastic.
Here's why.

When RC first sees NC...he stops playing..at the 1:15 mark....and zeros in on her. Super focused.
But the good thing is...she does not move at all.
He barrels his way towards her...at a very fast rate of speed.
This totally startles and scares her.

(It would be like a double size person, moving so quickly towards you...and you have no idea what they want. What do you do.
Hopefully put up your hands, redirect them away, trip them over, or kick them in the shins...and run.)

What does a cat do...well...she did extremely well...since she only hissed.:)
He deserved a slap. But she didn't do that.
He went right up to her, extremely fast, ..and then when she did hiss...he acted all scared...which is also good...since he moved back...and actually disengaged himself...from something he caused to begin with.
He also did that thing with smacking his lips, at the 1:28 mark...which I think I mentioned that my cats do after an adrenaline rush..or after the excitement is over.

Anyways, what I love about RC...is that he definitely knew that he was the one misbehaving...since he took himself well out of the situation...and actually went behind the gate.
I would have shut the gate, right there, and given him a 5 minute time out.

It's only fair...that you both ..have to treat the cats equally.
If you only favour one,...the other will feel it.
I know that both of you...love them both...because that is so obvious
with the way you play, talk, and just are around them.
but because now...you are in the "training part" of the intros...then you have to show an equal hand.

(sorry if this sounds a bit harsh or critical...it's not what my intentions are...and I cannot convey my tone online. I guess I just see NC there, and she looks subdued in the beginning, ...but okay after the confrontation.)
And I wasn't sure if she was still experiencing constipation, not feeling a hundred percent, or tired...or maybe she just wanted to Play, too. I don't know. She just looked a little withdrawn, in the beginning...later she looks more assured...after you go up to her, near the end.)

Anyway, what your gf did their at the 1:35 mark, kind of getting the feather toy between them, and corralling RC towards the other room was so excellent.
Also Excellent, when your gf...lightly touches the back of NC with the feather toy...to kind of break her out of that negative experience...that just happened to NC.

What's good is that you also stood up for NC...by using your voice...and saying Boogie's name...just remember to pair it with the word "no"...."Boogie No"...so that Boogie associates the word, "no"...with something that you don't want him to do.
I liked the way you said "now, now", too...just remember to pair it with either cat's name...also...like, "Boogie, now, now.".
Eventually, your cats will just know by the tone and pitch of your voices, what you actually want.
Try to experiment a bit with different low and high tones...and see if they respond.
Like FeebysOwner mentioned in the other thread...you have to continuously use Repetition if you want to modify their behaviour.

(And Boogie, totally knew he was wrong, there. He had the same look in his eyes, and the way he swung his head and body around...is exactly like my boy cat does too...acting all, "whoops, how do I get myself out of this one, and make it seem like it was the female cat over-reacting...so they think I'm perfect". My guy does these moves all the time. Acting all innocent, and leaving the scene...as fast..but as normally as he can.)
Probably in all seriousness, that is the best way for a cat to leave any confrontation, ...fast and smooth.

What was funny about your RC, though...was that it looked like he took himself...into the penalty box...for unnecessary roughness.:lol::wink:

The way NC responds to your voice, is still amazing to me, because at the 1:59 mark, you call her name, and she turns, and listens to you, ...and really she looks all fine there. Like whatever just happened half a minute ago...didn't really bother her, all too much.
She looks more interested in whatever your gf is doing, or in the toy now.
And afterwards, too, when you go over to her...she looks fine, and more interested to whatever is happening in the direction she is looking at.
RC looks more guilty to me, under those bar stools...but it's so good that he takes himself...so far away from the area where he purposely confronted her.
She looks to just be sniffing the air at the 3:19 mark.

Whatever you are both doing...is working...in these intros.
And now you're just on the part of 'training the cats'.
But if you do have to go back, and re-do the steps...in sequence...then that's okay, too.
I mean, the cat behaviourist is supposed to be trained, and schooled in this stuff, right.
So I don't know.

I guess I'm just not seeing that they are doing really badly, or that she will become a super boss.
She will be bossy, because she is smaller, female...and that is so natural for them to be.
While male cats will respect that. And often times give in to whatever female cats want and direct them to.
It's just the way, male and female cats act around each other.
The way your two act, ...I wouldn't even worry about watching them. They seem to show a lot of restraint, curiosity, and seem to want to get closer, too.
At this point, even them staring at each other...doesn't seem bad..unless one wants to start playing with the other one...and the other one is just not ready, yet.
I honestly think that you both have these intros well in motion.

PS. I just realized that I wrote you a novel. It's never my intention to do this, when I start writing,.. but I seem to always be carried away by the videos, and by each cat's movements. I'm not sure why I cannot learn to keep it short.
You probably just need a summary of stuff....and I'm writing gone with the wind...or little house on the prairie...in full.:paperbag::rolleyes2::crazy::lol:

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that the behaviourist told you to reintroduce.
Did they watch the same videos, that you posted here?
I would have thought, that they would have given you concrete tips and advice of what to do next.
But okay, I guess they've had way more experience with these type of intros.

The reason that I asked for the videos, again, is because I noticed something in the March 7th one, but could not find anything online, talking about it.
If you re-watch the video, Both NC and RC do this thing with their heads...where they kind of dip them down.
It's at the 0:07 mark, where NC does it first, but RC does it next at the 0:18 mark...and then when NC walks past RC...he does kind of go down and back, but pops up so fast towards his bowl.

(I'm really not sure if cats do this before they want to play...or run at each other...or maybe it's just a simple body movement to indicate that they are watching the other cat...but I thought maybe they were like signalling each other.)😼

(I remember walking my previous dog in a dog park, and he was on leash, black retriever, about 1 year old at the time.
My dog would see another dog, coming up the hill and lay down...and want to wait for the dog. He liked playing with any dog.
Anyhow, some older guy with a german sheppard, told me to teach my dog to stop doing the laying down part. Well, I told him, that he learned that behaviour from watching other dogs in the park, since he had never done it before. The old guy just walked off in a huff..so I never got to understand why he thought it was so bad and intimidating for my younger dog to do this. Other dogs would do this too, and my dog would excitedly watch them, copy them,..and run around a lot, when we came to the off leash part. That guy with the gsd...kind of always stayed on the other side of the park, ..so I don't know...maybe it made his dog, kind of nervous.)

The last video, is very revealing, but not only because NC hisses at RC...but for everything leading up to the hiss.
RC totally deserved that hiss.
If you look at the 1:15 mark...that is when RC notices NC.
She's been sort of crouched there, the whole time, ..and at first...I thought..she kind of looks sick, or ill, or not really engaging with anyone...except she does listen to your voice, and she is paying attention to your gf.
I just found it strange, that she is not 'tracking the toy with her eyes'...all that much...she does it a bit...but not much.

**Could you in the future, take out 2 wand toys,...and see if both RC and NC will play with each of you.
Not too close together...but in the same room.
And then switch which cat you play with.
And get a little bit closer...but so that the cats...have their fronts facing each other, for like five minutes,...and then their backs facing each other...for another five minutes.
Just notice how much of a difference each cat displays, when they are playing towards each other...or with their backs to each other.
When are they more alert, and on guard.

I don't think the hiss was a big thing at all...and I actually thought it was a good thing.
The way you both handled it, was fantastic.
Here's why.

When RC first sees NC...he stops playing..at the 1:15 mark....and zeros in on her. Super focused.
But the good thing is...she does not move at all.
He barrels his way towards her...at a very fast rate of speed.
This totally startles and scares her.

(It would be like a double size person, moving so quickly towards you...and you have no idea what they want. What do you do.
Hopefully put up your hands, redirect them away, trip them over, or kick them in the shins...and run.)

What does a cat do...well...she did extremely well...since she only hissed.:)
He deserved a slap. But she didn't do that.
He went right up to her, extremely fast, ..and then when she did hiss...he acted all scared...which is also good...since he moved back...and actually disengaged himself...from something he caused to begin with.
He also did that thing with smacking his lips, at the 1:28 mark...which I think I mentioned that my cats do after an adrenaline rush..or after the excitement is over.

Anyways, what I love about RC...is that he definitely knew that he was the one misbehaving...since he took himself well out of the situation...and actually went behind the gate.
I would have shut the gate, right there, and given him a 5 minute time out.

It's only fair...that you both ..have to treat the cats equally.
If you only favour one,...the other will feel it.
I know that both of you...love them both...because that is so obvious
with the way you play, talk, and just are around them.
but because now...you are in the "training part" of the intros...then you have to show an equal hand.

(sorry if this sounds a bit harsh or critical...it's not what my intentions are...and I cannot convey my tone online. I guess I just see NC there, and she looks subdued in the beginning, ...but okay after the confrontation.)
And I wasn't sure if she was still experiencing constipation, not feeling a hundred percent, or tired...or maybe she just wanted to Play, too. I don't know. She just looked a little withdrawn, in the beginning...later she looks more assured...after you go up to her, near the end.)

Anyway, what your gf did their at the 1:35 mark, kind of getting the feather toy between them, and corralling RC towards the other room was so excellent.
Also Excellent, when your gf...lightly touches the back of NC with the feather toy...to kind of break her out of that negative experience...that just happened to NC.

What's good is that you also stood up for NC...by using your voice...and saying Boogie's name...just remember to pair it with the word "no"...."Boogie No"...so that Boogie associates the word, "no"...with something that you don't want him to do.
I liked the way you said "now, now", too...just remember to pair it with either cat's name...also...like, "Boogie, now, now.".
Eventually, your cats will just know by the tone and pitch of your voices, what you actually want.
Try to experiment a bit with different low and high tones...and see if they respond.
Like FeebysOwner mentioned in the other thread...you have to continuously use Repetition if you want to modify their behaviour.

(And Boogie, totally knew he was wrong, there. He had the same look in his eyes, and the way he swung his head and body around...is exactly like my boy cat does too...acting all, "whoops, how do I get myself out of this one, and make it seem like it was the female cat over-reacting...so they think I'm perfect". My guy does these moves all the time. Acting all innocent, and leaving the scene...as fast..but as normally as he can.)
Probably in all seriousness, that is the best way for a cat to leave any confrontation, ...fast and smooth.

What was funny about your RC, though...was that it looked like he took himself...into the penalty box...for unnecessary roughness.:lol::wink:

The way NC responds to your voice, is still amazing to me, because at the 1:59 mark, you call her name, and she turns, and listens to you, ...and really she looks all fine there. Like whatever just happened half a minute ago...didn't really bother her, all too much.
She looks more interested in whatever your gf is doing, or in the toy now.
And afterwards, too, when you go over to her...she looks fine, and more interested to whatever is happening in the direction she is looking at.
RC looks more guilty to me, under those bar stools...but it's so good that he takes himself...so far away from the area where he purposely confronted her.
She looks to just be sniffing the air at the 3:19 mark.

Whatever you are both doing...is working...in these intros.
And now you're just on the part of 'training the cats'.
But if you do have to go back, and re-do the steps...in sequence...then that's okay, too.
I mean, the cat behaviourist is supposed to be trained, and schooled in this stuff, right.
So I don't know.

I guess I'm just not seeing that they are doing really badly, or that she will become a super boss.
She will be bossy, because she is smaller, female...and that is so natural for them to be.
While male cats will respect that. And often times give in to whatever female cats want and direct them to.
It's just the way, male and female cats act around each other.
The way your two act, ...I wouldn't even worry about watching them. They seem to show a lot of restraint, curiosity, and seem to want to get closer, too.
At this point, even them staring at each other...doesn't seem bad..unless one wants to start playing with the other one...and the other one is just not ready, yet.
I honestly think that you both have these intros well in motion.
I will try the double play but it is difficult as the 2 cats play differently. RC rarely gets really in the mood and even when he is playful he is easily distracted without NC, so if NC was around he always stops and watches her. The other night I bought one of those balls in a track toy for NC who started going crazy for it, and RC just stares at her like "how can she go nuts over such a silly thing?" 😂 NC on the other hands is always up for play any time for any toy. We had times before where we were playing with RC, and NC starts getting interested and RC notices her, and it ends up being NC Play time again... So we usually play with them separately. There usually is no hissing during play or treats time as NC doesn't really pay attention to RC during those times. Especially during feeding or treats time, she hasn't hissed even once during treats time in 3 days.

RC sometimes does act like he is sick of being bossed around. It's definitely a lot of power exchange. Sometimes NC will notice RC and actually go towards him while he is out of the way (today he was under a clothes drying rack, and she slowly tried to approach him). He gets a scared look on his face and would move to another spot but sometimes he doesn't and stand his ground. Sometimes he winces at the sight of her, sometimes he approaches the pet gate when she is deeper in her room. They're weird 😂

Speaking of weird, RC made a deliberate attempt to watch NC use the litter box today... She was doing it in her room, separated by the hallway gate, but I thought that was kind of funny... I was telling him, no wonder she hates you, you're such a creeper!!

She is hard to keep out for too long as she still is hyper focused on food. Today she was out during a meal time and we looked away for one moment and she stole a noodle from my pad thai 😂 we put her back behind bars and she felt it was a great injustice. It's hard to decide what to do for her as she is using those loud sad lonely meows when she is behind bars or locked in her room... She knows I'm weak.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess you have two overly dramatic 'acting cats' over there. :blush:
Depending on the litter box time and if food is around.
Each going for the oscar of 'best cat in a docu drama" category.
Creeper and Food Stealer...they seem like a lovely pair.:lol: :cool2: :drool:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's interesting how uncaring NC is around RC sometimes, enough that she loafs with her front paws tucked under
20210313_221132.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that it looks negative to you?
Don't some cats just sleep with their paws tucked under?

Hey, remember how you mentioned that RC was around your previous roommates' cats.
Did any of them play with RC?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that it looks negative to you?
Don't some cats just sleep with their paws tucked under?

Hey, remember how you mentioned that RC was around your previous roommates' cats.
Did any of them play with RC?
No I mean it looks positive. I heard that cats don't loaf if they feel unsafe as it means it can immediately ready their paws to fight or run.

Neither of the previous cats were much into playing with him. The 1st was way fearful but played well on her own. The 2nd was fine being with him but kind of ignored his invitations to play (he would tag her and run but she would not chase him)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No I mean it looks positive. I heard that cats don't loaf if they feel unsafe as it means it can immediately ready their paws to fight or run.

Neither of the previous cats were much into playing with him. The 1st was way fearful but played well on her own. The 2nd was fine being with him but kind of ignored his invitations to play (he would tag her and run but she would not chase him)
.That makes sense about the not loafing if they feel unsafe, but I've read so many different things about it, that I'm not sure anymore.
Somewhere, I read that it means they are totally relaxing, other place said it means that they may be in pain, or ill. So I don't know, maybe it all depends on everything else, going on with them, too.

I went and looked it up, and it also said that they 'self regulate body temperature' that way. Huh. When I see my cats do it...they are usually sleeping on a cat or dog bed, so I'm kind of skeptical that they are cold. And hopefully not ill, so maybe just more relaxed.
Fulfilling the Stereotype: Why Do Cats Loaf? | Cat Checkup

The article above talks about that butt wiggle, you had asked on the other thread, too, and says, "If your cat has its rear pointed skyward and wiggles it back and forth, it’s getting ready to attack. Not in an aggressive way, but a fun-loving way. It’s telling you it’s playtime! "
I kind of figured that the cat was just getting ready to run, like warming up their muscles or something, ...but I've only noticed my cats doing it, if they are getting ready to make a huge sprint, or zoom, similar to what you said, ..about the 'tag and run' game.

So interesting that your RC likes the tag and run game, but with mine...the female prefers it, and the male likes to try and wrestle...or throw his extra weight around. My male totally likes to intimidate.

The reason I asked about if the other cats played with RC, is because then you'd see if he had a different style of playing for each cat involved. But I guess since they really didn't play with him, you can't actually tell which style he prefers...unless he likes to chase both his humans around the apartment, too. Or when he plays with his wand...if he enjoys more the laying down position...or the running and quick turns. I forgot that he's a senior, though, since he looks in really good shape, and you've already mentioned that he still gets the zoomies. That's fun and enjoyable to watch.

Did your Vet say anything about the b12..or anything useful about the constipation?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
.That makes sense about the not loafing if they feel unsafe, but I've read so many different things about it, that I'm not sure anymore.
Somewhere, I read that it means they are totally relaxing, other place said it means that they may be in pain, or ill. So I don't know, maybe it all depends on everything else, going on with them, too.

I went and looked it up, and it also said that they 'self regulate body temperature' that way. Huh. When I see my cats do it...they are usually sleeping on a cat or dog bed, so I'm kind of skeptical that they are cold. And hopefully not ill, so maybe just more relaxed.
Fulfilling the Stereotype: Why Do Cats Loaf? | Cat Checkup

The article above talks about that butt wiggle, you had asked on the other thread, too, and says, "If your cat has its rear pointed skyward and wiggles it back and forth, it’s getting ready to attack. Not in an aggressive way, but a fun-loving way. It’s telling you it’s playtime! "
I kind of figured that the cat was just getting ready to run, like warming up their muscles or something, ...but I've only noticed my cats doing it, if they are getting ready to make a huge sprint, or zoom, similar to what you said, ..about the 'tag and run' game.

So interesting that your RC likes the tag and run game, but with mine...the female prefers it, and the male likes to try and wrestle...or throw his extra weight around. My male totally likes to intimidate.

The reason I asked about if the other cats played with RC, is because then you'd see if he had a different style of playing for each cat involved. But I guess since they really didn't play with him, you can't actually tell which style he prefers...unless he likes to chase both his humans around the apartment, too. Or when he plays with his wand...if he enjoys more the laying down position...or the running and quick turns. I forgot that he's a senior, though, since he looks in really good shape, and you've already mentioned that he still gets the zoomies. That's fun and enjoyable to watch.

Did your Vet say anything about the b12..or anything useful about the constipation?
I heard the crouch can mean bad things (but now always), and some people assume the crouch is also a loaf? Like when they are kind of in a loaf shape but their front paws are still out and ready to go. Like this: https://www.petcathealth.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/cat-269062_640.jpg

RC doesn't seem like he's into wrestling. When he plays with feather toy or mouse, he likes watching and chasing it a bit with his eyes or body. Once he catches a toy he doesn't do much kicking or holding. He never really attacked my hands or feet before either.

Vet said blood work is all clear and fine. No issues with B12 and her constipation stopped before the vet visit so was definitely the tiki cat shreds. When I feed her pate I mix in water which she cleans well but with shreds she just eats them and doesn't really clean the broth.

Edit: during free roam time I was playing with NC, when RC was walking by and she became super focused on RC. NC always gets really into intense feather play so I thought she might have redirected her focus onto the bigger target as any kind of call or distraction wouldn't stop her from focusing on RC. RC noticed and walked to a dead end(how smart of him). For some reason I didn't feel like it would be bad so I decided to not step in to physically remove NC. She did not wiggle her butt this time but after staring intensely she flattened her entire body, ears forward, and ran at RC. RC didn't react much other than slight recoil anticipating being smacked, but.... For some reason.... NC did not hit him!!! She ran right up to him, hissed and then turned around and ran off.

I put her in time out and she's been meowing loudly trying to get out again. RC simply watched and then walked off elsewhere, and now he's watching her meow desperately to escape.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard the crouch can mean bad things (but now always), and some people assume the crouch is also a loaf? Like when they are kind of in a loaf shape but their front paws are still out and ready to go. Like this: https://www.petcathealth.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/cat-269062_640.jpg
Thank you for the above photo. Now I notice the difference. I mistakenly interchange the actions of crouching with loafing,...all the time. So loafing is with paws tucked under...and crouching is not. I have to try and remember that.:bluepaw:
Vet said blood work is all clear and fine. No issues with B12 and her constipation stopped before the vet visit so was definitely the tiki cat shreds. When I feed her pate I mix in water which she cleans well but with shreds she just eats them and doesn't really clean the broth.
What a relief that her bloodwork and B12 are all okay.:yess:
And that her constipation stopped...due to you noticing, and stopping that particular food.:thumbsup:

(So interesting, my cats are the opposite, ...they hate, hate, hate shreds...and will only eat pate, or lick the gravy...with added warm water, too. Though, like your girl...they always leave portions on their plate, too.
A friend gave me some cans of free shredded wet food, which he received freely, but I have to use an electric handheld blender like this one,Verify your identity that I bought at walmart,...to mush up all the shreds...and make it into a soupy like pate. I throw it into a zip lock bag after, and only give out the portions, that I need.
The stuff we do for these beautiful little cats of ours...I know they appreciate...but I often have to tell them...that they better learn to like all flavours...but naturally, they don't listen.:catrub:)
Edit: during free roam time I was playing with NC, when RC was walking by and she became super focused on RC. NC always gets really into intense feather play so I thought she might have redirected her focus onto the bigger target as any kind of call or distraction wouldn't stop her from focusing on RC. RC noticed and walked to a dead end(how smart of him). For some reason I didn't feel like it would be bad so I decided to not step in to physically remove NC. She did not wiggle her butt this time but after staring intensely she flattened her entire body, ears forward, and ran at RC. RC didn't react much other than slight recoil anticipating being smacked, but.... For some reason.... NC did not hit him!!! She ran right up to him, hissed and then turned around and ran off.
:clap: Hahaha...I didn't see this Edit, until now.
(you know there is no problem with adding another post. I don't think there is any rule against it. :blush: :thumbsup:)

Plus, it would be like keeping a journal, ...of what the cats are doing, at that particular moment in time.
(I think, even though, I might be doing the replying...that there are potentially many others that are reading your thread, lurking, and hopefully getting tips from your posts and videos, too. :) People just sometimes don't want to reply, once a thread has gone over two pages long.)

Wow. What you described above sounds like Play, to me. :think:
Running at RC, ...and not hitting him...and then hissing...turning...and running off.
I don't know...It sounds like maybe, just maybe...she was getting him back, ..for that 'fast scary full on walk towards her'...the other day, in video from march 9th.

(my female smacked my male right in front of me, when my male and I were looking outside the window. He looked at me, and I looked at him...and said..."Tripp buddy, I know that smack came out from no where, ...but you probably did something yesterday, and are getting what you deserved, today. idk. I'll have your back, but only if she constantly smacks you." She didn't continue the smacking, but I did have to tell her to not be so dramatic, or go after him.)

(So I just put my body between them...and have to casually walk them into different areas or rooms...(like you would with boxers in a ring, I suppose).
They cool off pretty quick, and actually act like all is forgiven, but not forgotten...(or is that forgotten but not forgiven. 🤷‍♀️)
Either way, they are fine afterwards. It's how they interact, at times. It's just them.)
I put her in time out and she's been meowing loudly trying to get out again. RC simply watched and then walked off elsewhere, and now he's watching her meow desperately to escape.
Do what you think is best.
You both have great instincts for your cats.:)