Introducing my new kitten

Madeleine kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
My partner and I live in an apartment and adopted an 8 week old kitten, Franklin, a couple of months ago. He is very playful and loving, he tends to scratch and bite a fair bit when playing as he just doesn’t understand what’s going too far.
After doing some research we learned that this could be because he hadn’t learned boundaries from another cat. We also wanted him to have some company when we go to work as he is such a playful kitty, we thought he would appreciate a friend.
We adopted a new kitten, Penelope, when she was approx. 10 weeks old. She was fairly timid at first as she was found in the street before we adopted her. She is a super sweet, affectionate, playful little girl and when she is comfortable, seems like the perfect companion for Franklin.

Franklin is now 5 months old and we have been introducing them very slowly ( Penelope is separated in our bedroom/ ensuite with all her food, water, toys and litter. We put their food bowls on either side of the door and they can see each other through a window).
We have tried introducing them a couple of times, sometimes they will touch noses but then Franklin proceeds to chase her and occasionally will catch up to her and bite at her neck while Penelope just stays still. I have researched it and most pages have said that this is Franklin being playful and just a sign of dominance but it’s a scary thing to watch as we just don’t know if he is hurting her. She doesn’t meow or hiss when this happens and he is never drawn blood but I am worried that that’s because she’s too scared to make a noise.
When this happens we put them in their separate areas and Penelope is straight away back to her usual playful self.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what I should do.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably is normal play and dominance behavior. If there's no loud screeching or fur pulled out, it's generally good. Check to see if their activity is episodic, where they stop and face off. That's good, too.

Body language can tell you something. Are their ears up? How about their tails? Are their nails out, or retracted? Are their eyes always dilated when they're playing? Is there some give and take during their rough play? All these things help you determine how well they're getting along.

They're still kittens and haven't learned the ins and outs of being a cat yet. Give them some time, including a little time apart for themselves, which you seem to have already been doing.

I have a male and female that are both adult cats and still exhibit the behavior you've described in your cats. They're well-bonded, despite the rough play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Madeleine kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok that’s good to hear! I think eyes may be dialated but ears are forward and no puffing up of their tails. He just always goes at her, it could be because I’ve separated them early into them displaying this behaviour but I feel like she hasn’t had a chance to reciprocate the rough play yet. I just want to make sure he’s not bullying her or hurting her.

Twinkie245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Franklin is asserting his dominance over Penelope. Perfectly normal behavior. Actually it sounds like they are getting along really well.

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have researched it and most pages have said that this is Franklin being playful and just a sign of dominance but it’s a scary thing to watch as we just don’t know if he is hurting her. She doesn’t meow or hiss when this happens and he is never drawn blood but I am worried that that’s because she’s too scared to make a noise.
When this happens we put them in their separate areas and Penelope is straight away back to her usual playful self.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what I should do.
Yep echoing the above. This is actually super positive. The main assurances is she immediately bounces back to being playful when she is released (if she was scared she would be fleeing and hiding). Hopefully what you might also note happening as she gets older and bigger is she starts chasing after Franklin.
I adopted kitten (10 weeks) six months ago a d brought her into my household with a 7 year old male I’ve had for five years. Same deal (only Lillie, the kitten, would squeal when she was pinned down, so sounds like Penelope ishaving a better time of it), as soon as she was released she didn’t seem to care - and as she got bigger, she had no issue getting her own back by chasing River around.

No action needed by you, this is normal cat communication of establishing manners and hierarchy. If you do get concerned Penelope has been pinned down too long, you can lightly tap them or make a noise to get them to seperate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Madeleine kab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok that’s great! Thanks so much for your help. We purchased a Feliway diffuser in hopes that it will help the cats calm down and make their meetings a more pleasant experience for both of them