Introducing my cat to our new dog

jupiterandmidnight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, just about a month ago we lost our eldest cat Jupiter :( She was very old and very loved <3 We have always wanted a dog, so almost two weeks ago we adopted a sweet pitbull. We did not think that this would be an issue because our other cat, Midnight, always seemed to want to be near Jupiter (the cat who passed) although Jupiter was not very fond of her. Midnight has had some litter box issues in the past although at this point in time she is using a box that we have placed upstairs and has not had any incidents.

Our new dog does not know how to use stairs, so for the most part the dog has stayed on the bottom floor, while the cat has been living upstairs. Since her litter box and food are in the basement, we have moved it upstairs as to not force her too far out of her comfort zone. Midnight has ventured downstairs a few times but has freaked out and fled at the sight of the dog. The dog does not flinch when she sees the cat. While the dog was in her crate, Midnight came up close to her and the dog did not move a muscle. She does not mind cats at all. Although the dog did not move, Midnight puffed her tail, looked like she was going to pounce, but then sprinted back upstairs. Besides this she has only come down once or twice for a short period of time to eat breakfast. One of these times ended with a bit of a scare since the dog jumped because she did not see Midnight coming.

Midnight has had trouble with anxiety and has taken medication for it (regarding the litter box situation) We feel so bad that she has to stay upstairs all day and we want her to be able to live a comfortable life with our new family member. Our dog is so sweet and mellow and we know that she will not hurt her, but we want to find a way to introduce them and get them used to each other without pushing Midnight too far out of her comfort zone and stressing her out.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations! :)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats and dogs just won't fare well with each other and sometimes they do. My dog loves his cats, but he and my youngest, Kiki, have issues. She growls a lot and that gets him excited and he chases her - never-ending circle.

Also, it takes a dog a bit of time adapting to it's new environment and become completely familiar with the routine. You've also just had a recent loss and I personally believe animals grieve too. So, now Midnight has to adjust to a loss of a fellow companion, welcome a new one and have her environment all readjusted. I would say give this time let Midnight stay upstairs safely with her food and litter and just give it lots of time, there is no rush. Your dog can be taught to be passive in front of kitty. When my dog gets too excited with Kiki even though she growls at him I command him to 'show her down' to which he has to go down and not be threatening.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always had dogs and cats at the same time. I have to agree that this is all very recent, the lost of your Jupiter and the introduction of the puppy. The reaction of Midnight is really very normal, especially for an older cat. She is afraid of the dog and it sounds as if she does not have any previous experience of them, so the puppy is the enemy.

If you follow a very slow socialization process she will adjust over time. No matter how sweet the puppy is, it is up to him to be controlled and to learn to behave around Midnight. He sounds like a sweetheart and I have know pits who seemingly took to cats easily as a friend. But Midnight has to feel absolutely safe around him and he can't be allowed to do anything that would frighten her. If you train him and he understand commands such as sit and stay and is truly under voice control she will start to feel better about him. If you have to, give him a command to make sure that he understands that the kitty is off limits or can't be rough housed with. My GSDs all knew/know "kitty no no" if they got too enthusiastic.

This will work out just fine if you are careful about how you introduce them. It is good that the cat's food and necessities are where the puppy cannot access them as that does give her some feeling of safety.