Introducing my cat to a dog

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I hope you are all healthy and doing well. Due to the current situation in the world, I am temporarily moving in with my boyfriend for a week or two which means I will be taking my cat with me. She has been to my boyfriend's house and met with his dog briefly over the summer and she really didn't like him. He is good with cats but loves to play which causes her to run and him to chase. There is a sun room which is going to be blocked off and be the designated cat zone, I got her a Feliway collar and some treats that are supposed to help calm her down as well. I'm just worried because not only does she have to live in a new house for 2 weeks but she also has to adjust to the dog, but seeing as we will be moving in with each other in the next year, she will have to do this sooner or later anyway. I'm just trying to get as much information on introducing cats to dogs, especially if the dog is hyper. What can I do to make this introduction and the next two weeks as stress free as possible? Thanks in advance!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another suggestion would be for your BF or you to work off some of the dog's excess energy by taking him for longer walks, running with him or an active game of fetch. While the dog is outdoors you can let your cat out to roam his house.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had cats and dogs for years and it can work out. Since the dog is not aggressive toward the cat, that is a good first step. The cat does need her own safe space, and a high cat tree or shelves would help. It has to be one where the cat can safely look down on the dog, not just sit eye level. Even if the dog is friendly toward cats, don't let the dog rough house with her. Some dogs like to pester cats with no intention of hurting them but the cat doesn't get it. Teach the dog a command for the cat. I used "kitty no-no" and it has worked for several generations of GSDs. It would not surprise me if they became friends eventually since the dog is kindly disposed toward the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! Her cat tree is a little hard to transport but I have already set up a space for her where she can get up on a book shelf to keep an eye on the dog. Letting the dog exercise is also a really good idea, he definitely gets really excited about her being there so hopefully being tired out will help keep his attention away from her.We're heading over there tonight so I'll update you all on how things are going!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! So last night, there was no interaction between my cat Fiona and the dog Moose because I wanted Fiona to settle down from the car ride. This morning, we introduced them through a baby gate and at first Fiona was hissing and growling. I was distracting Moose with treats to see if he would ignore her and he was very interested in his treats :lol: after a few minutes of sniffing the cat and getting treats, he eventually laid down next to the gate. Fiona continued to hiss at him for a few minutes before I think she realized he wasn't paying attention to her anymore and she also laid down by the gate. She did growl at him every few minutes, I think to just kind of remind Moose not to get too close, but I think this is very good progress!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry that last post was for yesterday :lol: So yesterday Fiona spent most of her time on her bed and only left to use the litter box and eat. But this morning when I got up, she had gotten up on the bookshelf and was looking out the window, so more good progress! I'm still struggling to get the dog, Moose, calmed down though, I've started putting him outside every time he starts acting really excited twords the cat. I'm also teaching him to "stay" so hopefully when it comes time to remove the baby gate and Fiona comes out of the room I can get him to sit and stay where he is.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So overall things went well! Today is our last day here and I think the dog is more afraid of my cat :lol: I do have a quick question about traveling though. My cat usually ends up pooping in her carrier which I read can be because of stress or being car sick. I usually remove her food several hours before we travel so her stomach is empty, make sure she has cool air blowing on her, but nothing really works ( this has been a problem since I got her) I did some research and read that Benadryl can be used to not only mildly sedate a cat for travel, but is also used to treat motion sickness. Is this something that is safe to do at home? I know that she needs a very small dose, according to her weight, she would need about 1/3 of a tablet. Has anyone used it before to help with travel stress?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an Article about traveling with cats including road trips that may have some helpful information for you:
Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips] – Cat Articles

Regarding your question about giving her Benadryl I have read pros and cons especially if your cat has any underlying health issues. For that reason, I would suggest speaking with your vet. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)