Introducing Kitten And Cat To Resident Cat

michevan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!
Hope all is well.

I am in need of a little help. With the passing of one of our kitties, I adopted two cats simultaneously to accompany our current resident cat (Lucky -10 yr old). One is a 2-yr-old Persian mix (Nora) and 3-mo-old Maine Coon mix (Orion). Lucky and Nora had a bit of a rough start so we had to reintroduce them, separated for 2 weeks and now only allowing them to see each other during feeding time.

Right now, Nora is currently tolerant of Orion but seems to want to chase Lucky every time she sees him.

Is there anything else we can do to make the introducing more positive? Should I get a dog crate and have them each go into the crate and introduce them that way so they can figure it out without hurting each other? At a bit of a loss and feeling discouraged.

Thank you in advance!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, what does Nora do once she catches up to Lucky? is there fighting? as someone else said it can take time. Especially with an older cat. I just introduced two kittens to my two resident cats who are about ten to eleven years old, we are at five months, and things are finally getting to a peaceful place. if they are not hurting each other, just take it real slow and let them figure it out. I would not force them together, let them do it at their own pace. seriously one of my older cats just in the last two weeks made a huge break though with the kittens, does not hiss or swat at them anymore. Just takes time and patience. and sometimes wine (not for the cats)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michevan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, what does Nora do once she catches up to Lucky? is there fighting? as someone else said it can take time. Especially with an older cat. I just introduced two kittens to my two resident cats who are about ten to eleven years old, we are at five months, and things are finally getting to a peaceful place. if they are not hurting each other, just take it real slow and let them figure it out. I would not force them together, let them do it at their own pace. seriously one of my older cats just in the last two weeks made a huge break though with the kittens, does not hiss or swat at them anymore. Just takes time and patience. and sometimes wine (not for the cats)
There is definitely fighting as soon as she is near him, however I can't tell if claws are being used. She hisses and spits a bit. It makes me wonder if she had a bad encounter with a previous cat. Thank you for the response! And that's so great to hear you had a breakthrough with your kitties!