Introducing Indoor Cat To Semi Outdoor Cats

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a complicated situation to figure out.

I might end up rescuing an indoor cat in need.
I live in a house and although I don’t have any indoor cats, I have two very friendly stray cats from outside that come in during rain and most of the winter to eat and sleep. The cats are both fixed and vaccinated and sleep on our furniture. One uses the litter box in our basement.

I don’t know how to introduce them, technically the outdoors are the resident cats, but because this new cat needs to be inside only he will have to be able to feel at home inside the house and have preference for the furniture now. I don’t want a bad fight to break out (all cats are males).

Im also worried them eating each other’s food and the outdoor cats Injest stuff outside and could contaminate the indoors food and the litter box.

Another issue is the bedrooms upstairs I want the indoor cat to be able to go in, but the outdoors aren’t allowed up there in them, but with all 3 cats in the house at once how can I work this out without the outdoors sneaking in the rooms?

Three young kids also visit weekly, so this cat will have a lot of change coming here.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the outdoor cats come inside, and sound like they consider your place "home", is there any chance of making them inside only cats?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if you are going to do this, I think this time of year is best. You said the outdoor cats come in during the rain and during the winter. The new cat will have less to adjust to if it arrives now.

When you bring in the new cat, confine him to a bedroom upstairs for at least 3 weeks. Litter box up there, food and water. This gives the cat time to adjust to the new surroundings - new smells, new sounds, new routine. And at the same time, the cat is in a safe place where you can monitor the adjustment. Cats can become overwhelmed by a relocation, and stop eating. So the new cat will come in to the upstairs bedroom, exploring the rest of the house will happen later on, in a month or more (depending on how it adjusts).

Meanwhile, it is going to rain at some point, the outdoor boys come in and remain downstairs. They are immediately going to know someone new is around - scent will tell them that. The scent of the new cat will be on you, not only 'in the air.' Just go with that, don't even think about an introduction, that's my thought. Push off the introductions for a month or more. Because it seems to me that you have time to work on things piece by piece, and that is always easier on cats.

Once the new cat seems satisfied this is now home, and is eating and adjusting well, leave the door open and let the cat roam the house while the others are OUT. Return newbie to bedroom before having the outdoor cats inside. This allows newbie to learn the rooms, the floor plan, where furniture is to jump up, crawl underneath. Do that a few times, so all have time to pick up on the scent of the other.

I'm not sure how you manage to keep the current cats out of the upstairs, unless there is a door. So the new cat will learn (perhaps, I'm just guessing) to be downstairs with you during the day, and upstairs in the evening.

Then one day, perhaps 6 weeks from newbie's arrival, they will all be inside downstairs at one time. Have a water squirt bottle handy and monitor. Expect arched backs, a hiss or 2.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since the outdoor cats come inside, and sound like they consider your place "home", is there any chance of making them inside only cats?
I have been trying. One cat refuses to use the litter box and will poop and pee on furniture if we don’t let him out when he cries at the back door. The other cat will use the litter box but sometimes has accidents, he is 14 and long haired. It’s been difficult doing the in/out routine but I tried training them to come in for their own safety however they don’t want to stay in permanently just to eat and sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freedom Freedom , upstairs bedrooms do have doors. If the cats are in we simply shut the bedrooms doors so they can’t go in. However if I get this cat it will be hard to let him in the room plus keep and eye to make sure nobody else goes in, especially at night, but this spare bedroom is probably going to be his favorite spot he gets his own bed, perhaps the other two cats won’t go in if he is there he will have his scent only in the room?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't count on that.

Given the situation with the 2 cats you have, I'm not sure you are wise to take in this 3rd cat. One cat already pees on the furniture; that IS going to escalate, with a new male in the home. Even if they have no contact.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been trying. One cat refuses to use the litter box and will poop and pee on furniture if we don’t let him out when he cries at the back door. The other cat will use the litter box but sometimes has accidents, he is 14 and long haired. It’s been difficult doing the in/out routine but I tried training them to come in for their own safety however they don’t want to stay in permanently just to eat and sleep.
How many litter boxes do you have? With the 2 cats, the "rule" would state 1 per cat, plus 1, so a total of three. To "encourage" them to use the litter boxes, you could try Cat Attract litter. Or try putting some unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter. That sometimes helps outdoor cats understand that's its ok to "go in the litter box".

Also, when they have "accidents" do you clean with an enzyme cleaner? That's the only way to totally remove the scent.

Since people can successfully turn true feral cats into inside only house pets, don't give up hope on your two.

Here are some TCS articles that might be helpful:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

Also, if you get the 3rd cat, here's How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

And about litter box accidents, here's a few more articles:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Combat Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine | TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home | TheCatSite
How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions | TheCatSite
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens | TheCatSite

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have a cat gate that works well keeping our cats upstairs ( pr pretty much anywhere in the house) when needed ... I have to take a picture later ... 6ft wire shelving- 3 pieces accordion style attached with zip ties ( like a screen) with a hard plastic shelving liner attached on the cat side ... Our cats were originally in the upstairs community space and have their litter boxes and play trees there ... and roam the house supervised over the day ... one of our cats doesn't like our dogs and while he occasionally sits on the stairs he chooses to stay upstairs in his realm ... they feel safe in their room and when there is a scare downstairs the all run upstairs ... you can use a similar system for your new cat ... make one room his or hers... and let them mingle on their terms ...