Introducing Geoffrey...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got off the phone with the vet. I am just in shock.

Geoffrey has very bad teeth. He had resorbtive lesions at 3 teeth. One was so bad, there was an actual hole in the tooth.

All on right side. Two upper and one lower.

I was forewarned that he should have a dental every couple of years, eventually resulting with him having no teeth. Dam

Geoffrey must have been In So much pain. 😿😿😿I cannot believe it. He loves his dry food.

I wonder how fast the FORLS comes on. Wonder if this is the real reason why he was given up. 😾

Who I took him in for his initial Vet visit, one tooth was pointed out— as to bear watching. One year later; this. 🤬

I can pick him up in a couple hours.
He has dissolvable stitches, has to be on soft food for a week. He was given a long duration pain med (3 days). No antibiotics.
Have to make a follow up appointment in 2 weeks.

Poor cat will never trust me again. Each time he sees my jacket, he will run.

Poor baby

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Geoffrey, they are so good at hiding pain, how are we to know. Just think how much better he will feel in a few days and the trust will come back. Speedy recovery Geoffrey .
Aww, poor baby. I agree. It may take a little time, but maybe he'll be better now that the bad teeth are gone. It sucks that they hide these things so well.

I can empathize. I had a small intermittent toothache on my lower left, so went to the dentist a couple of wks ago. X-ray showed the tooth I had a root conal on, maybe a yr ago? The nerve was getting an infection, so was put on a dose of amoxicillin. Im going to have to go to an endodontist for a "retreat" to get that part of the nerve our, I guess. Praying that he can do it, & thats all thats needed. (My exam & 3D xray is the 29th) That will all be expensive enough ( even w/ my Aetna disc. Plan) .
I don't want to have to get a bridge! I had to do that on the lower right yrs ago. No fun, & that would be just under 3,000!! Don't want that!
Always something!!

Sending lots of love to you & "Mr.G." XO!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor Geoffrey. At least he's gotten the bad teeth removed now, so once he heals, he'll be pain-free. :redheartpump:

And, though you're not there yet, and hopefully won't be for a long time, I've read that cats can still eat dry food with no teeth. I think because they really don't chew their food. You know how when they vomit dry food, the pieces tend to still be whole.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hugs and special thoughts for Geoffrey. :grouphug: If it helps, Carleton had 3 teeth pulled last year due to FORL. Actually he's our second cat that has had this health problem. However, he ate so much better after having the extractions that I'm hopeful the same will be true for G. Sending special thoughts to you and your boy.:vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, though you're not there yet, and hopefully won't be for a long time, I've read that cats can still eat dry food with no teeth. I think because they really don't chew their food. You know how when they vomit dry food, the pieces tend to still be whole.
My vet has a toothless cat who still can eat dry food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the little man today?
Thanks for asking.

Today, he is hiding under the bed, refusing to eat.
Even when I take it over to him.

He came out when I got up. I think he was expecting me to pull out the wand toy— our usual morning routine. I am making him stay calm-/ no playing for a few days. He has stitches.

I think the nerve block wore off or is wearing off.

He did jump on the bed, waking me, around 4AM
He wanted to tell me that he used his litter box— a huge, grapefruit size pee clump.

Last night, he was constantly pacing. Could not stay still; wanting to rub his face everywhere. Occasionally looking outside at the street lights. He was so out of it. Geoffrey’s eyes were half closed.

He did pee a couple of small lime sized clumps, when he came home.

The weird thing is that he cannot meow. Not even a faint kitten meow. I am concerned about that. He has a very soft high pitched semi meow. Now, not even that.

I always suspected that he may have some trauma to his neck/vocal chords. Wonder if the tube irritated it more.

I have to update the Vet tomorrow. I will ask about that.

Poor baby.
He is at the most inaccessible spot, under the bed.
Meatloafed, not moving. He must’ve exhausted, terrified, and in pain.

Geoffrey will be ok. Just needs time to readjust.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you give him a little bit of soft classical harp music, and/or read something pleasant to him?

They need to be super careful and gentle when they intubate prior to surgery, and also when/if he was turned over during.

Definitely do let them know he's lost his voice (hopefully only temporarily!), plus he could be sensitive to latex if that's the material of anything they used.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, hopefully he is getting some rest today, if he was up most of the night. I do remember pain meds, the buprophafine used to keep Angel wide awake. Made it hard to use if he needed it, but needed sleep too. :/.
Do you think if you blended his food in the blender w/ a little broth he might lap it up, since it'd be liquid? At least then you know he's getting something. He's got to be hungry by now. Poor little buddy.

continuing to send love & prayers your way!