Introducing foundation cats/hybrids, of different exotic cat backgrounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Ms. Johnson-Bennett,

I have a question for you. Which, I hope you can help me with. I have a two year old, high percentage, F3 Savannah. Loki, is sweet as pie and hyper as a Jack Russell Terrier (now called: Parson's Russell Terrier, by AKC). He is good with people, cats, and dogs. Obviously, he has a high prey drive. Lastly, he has immaculate litter box "manners".

In the next two months, give or take, a few weeks, I will be getting a high percentage F2 Chausie male kitten. The breeder, of this kitten, is the same one, that, Loki came from. So, needless to say, I am VERY happy with her cats/kittens. I love how socialized, my Savannah came to me. He still has no fear of anything really, but, that is good with me

Anyway, my question is this: what is the best way to introduce them, after, the two week separation. By two week separation, I mean, when, I first acquire the kitten, I need to keep him in his own room, while, he adjusts to his new surroundings and bonds with me. 

I know scent mingling is very helpful when introducing cats. Now, my question is, do I do that while, they are separated for two weeks? Or, do I do that, after, the two week separation? Lastly, on that topic, how long should I do the scent mingling for?

I am fully aware, that, the Chausie kitten and the Savannah cat, should not be left alone together right away. However, at what point, do you think, it will be safe, to leave them alone together?

Lastly, my Savannah, lives with a DLH, who was about a year old, when, I acquired him. The Savannah, thinks of her as "mom". They are so bonded it is unreal. I also have, two DSH's. The DSH's, hate the Savannah. They hiss and growl at him. But, to this day, all my Savannah wants to do is be "friends with them". The Savannah, always tries to lick them, every chance he gets. But, the DSH's, always smack him in the face. Poor boy, never ever learns.

Thank you, in advance. If, you need any clarification, please let me know. Since, my spelling and grammar isn't so good.

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're going to have your hands full, aren't you?! Let the newcomer chill for about a week or so before doing any scent introduction. You'll have to make the determination based on how well the cat adjusts. Let him set the pace. If he seems happy, bonded and comfortable after a week then begin doing a scent exchange. I do this using a sock that I've rubbed on a cat's face to collect facial pheromones.

I think you need to also address the problem that your DSH cats have to redcue their stress. Introducing another cat into the mix will just heighten the anxiety level.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're going to have your hands full, aren't you?!

Indeed

Let the newcomer chill for about a week or so before doing any scent introduction.

Okay, thank you, very very very very MUCH!

You'll have to make the determination based on how well the cat adjusts.

I agree with that a hundred percent. Or, Loki, the Savannah, would be meeting his new "friend" at the airport with me

Let him set the pace. If he seems happy, bonded and comfortable after a week then begin doing a scent exchange.

Okay, again, thank you for the information

I do this using a sock that I've rubbed on a cat's face to collect facial pheromones.

GREAT IDEA, I would never have thought of that. Thank you again
. My only question about that is, should the sock be damp or dry?

I think you need to also address the problem that your DSH cats have to redcue their stress. Introducing another cat into the mix will just heighten the anxiety level.

I would love to. I am open to idea's. I live in a three story home. Or, three family home. I am not sure, which, is the correct term. Anyway, the lowest level, only my DSH's and people (my fiance, and kids) and dogs can go on. The Savannah can NOT. So, they have down there. Plus, they go in and out at whim, via, a cat door and the electronic collars they wear, The Savannah is NOT allowed outside. The DLH, despite, being found outsides, have NEVER, willingly, gone outside on her own, in almost three years. The DLH wants nothing to do with the DSH. Lastly, the DSH, certainly want nothing to do with DLH.

Okay, so what do you suggest? I am open to any idea's. The DSH are fourteen years old and seven years old. The seven year old. DSH, will come upstairs when, the Savannah is in his room. I have a cat safe room for him, when, I am at work and when I finally go to bed.

Thank you again
!!!
If, this needs any explanation, please tell me
. Since, like I said, my spelling and grammar is poor.

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the sock, it should be clean and dry. Don't use any fabric softener with scents. You want the only scent on it to be the facial pheromone that you'll be rubbing on it.

As for the two DSH cats and their stress level, are you going to keep them separated from the Savannah all the time? If that's the case then their stress level should go down. I wasn't sure from your two posts whether you are planning an intro with them or not. If you're never going to introduce the Savannah to the DSH cats then just make sure they never see that cat. Then, by the time you bring home the kitten, the older DSH cats should be more receptive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the sock, it should be clean and dry. Don't use any fabric softener with scents. You want the only scent on it to be the facial pheromone that you'll be rubbing on it.

Okay, thank you very very very very much again!

As for the two DSH cats and their stress level, are you going to keep them separated from the Savannah all the time?

This, is how it has been for a year and a half. The DSH's can and do come upstairs, when, the Savannah is not in his own room. But, that is cause, the DSH's "CHOOSE" to do that. When, they have had enough, they go back downstairs and or outside. Each level, of my home, has, a cat door, only they (DSH's and DLH)  can get threw. But, the Savannah, can't follow them. The DLH, could follow the DSH's, but she NEVER does.

If that's the case then their stress level should go down. I wasn't sure from your two posts whether you are planning an intro with them or not. If you're never going to introduce the Savannah to the DSH cats then just make sure they never see that cat. 

I am not sure how to do that. Unless, you think, I should just keep the DSH's on the last level, of my home and the hybrids and the DLH on the first two floors?

Then, by the time you bring home the kitten, the older DSH cats should be more receptive.

Okay, thank you again

As always, if, this needs any clarification, please let me know,

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Pam is no longer hosting this forum :) With further issues or questions, please take them to the behavior forum. Thank you. Locking this thread and all others now.

Status
Not open for further replies.