Introducing Echo!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering I've had Echo (Genevieve) for one month and one day, I figured it'd be a good time to finally introduce her. :lol2:

It all started on October 20 when our local humane society posted a picture of a two month old black kitten named Dory. A very good friend of mine tagged me in the post and said Dory needed friends (i.e. Indy and Tango). A joke about adopting her ("Wouldn't it be funny if we actually did adopt her?") ended up to actually filling out an application that night.

We didn't hear back from the shelter until shortly before they closed the next day. As I had figured, Dory had so much interest that she was already spoken for. But the employee on the phone said Dory had a sister named Genevieve who "looked just like her," but cautioned she had been feeling under the weather. She said Genevieve had a cold and a bit of an upset stomach, and that she needed to be syringe fed. Still, talking so much about adopting Dory really made us want a third cat again, so we made an appointment to meet her the next day on the 22nd.

When I first saw Genevieve during the appointment, I was surprised - she didn't look sick at all! The employee with us said she was a little shy at first. When I opened the door to her cage (she was all alone due to her cold), she moved against the back wall. I picked up a toy to get her attention, which made her come closer to me. I picked her up and she started purring almost right away. :hugs: It took only a few seconds for me to say, "I'll take her!"

Apparently, Genevieve was found in a hotel parking lot on (Canadian) Thanksgiving Monday. I don't know if she was alone or if she was found with Dory. The shelter figured she came in on a farm truck and ended up in the parking lot. There was at least one other black kitten (not Dory) found in that area who had a limb injury, and they figured that she could've been Genevieve's sister, too.

Long story short - the introduction of Genevieve to Indy and Tango sort of went as planned...? :lol: With Indy being the more laid back of the two, I figured she would take it better. She did, eventually. Indy approached and smelled her first, but she also hissed and growled at her, which I wasn't expecting.

I thought Tango would take it worse, and that proved to be correct. She hissed, growled, and even chased Genevieve down to swat in her general direction while making a strange barking sound. It was wild. Genevieve would run and hide at first, though she quickly learned she could swat back, too. :lol2:

Echo had free rein of a bedroom and half of the hallway for the first week. It was blocked off by a baby gate with a Feliway diffuser right next to it to, hopefully, make Tango chill out. For the first day or two, Tango would go up to the gate to watch, hiss, and growl at Genevieve. Tango was so upset with her that she even stopped meowing and trilling at me for those first two days. Indy quickly got over it by the second day. She liked watching Genevieve, though Genevieve would hiss and growl if Indy got too close to her.

Tango became more brave by starting to come into the bedroom to watch her closer (while randomly hissing, of course). Over the course of the first five or so days, when Genevieve was renamed Echo (my mom really wanted to name one of my cats), Tango seemed more interested in watching Echo than chasing her down and swatting at her. Then by the time Halloween came around, Tango was comfortable with playfully chasing her up and down the hallway.

And while Echo didn't seem to have any cold symptoms when we brought her home, she began sneezing about three days later. She had a really upset stomach for the first week or so, too. Trying to get her to eat during those first few days was pretty stressful. Thankfully, I never had to feed her by syringe at all, and she was 100% better by November 2, thanks to some time and medicine. And now she's very interested in stealing the other cats' food!

It's been one month and Tango's done almost a full 180. While I haven't seen Echo cuddle with either Indy or Tango, Tango and Echo play all the time. Tango likes following her around and watching her. Their favourite thing to do is go in the bathroom together, where Echo sits in the tub and Tango sits on the edge of the tub...? And she just sits there while Echo runs around and makes weird squeaky door cat sounds in the tub...? :lol2: Indy isn't the most hyperactive cat as it is, but she does run around with Echo, too. I've seen both of the big cats lick Echo's head. She isn't the biggest fan of that. :lol:

Echo is very cute. She has the loudest purr, the saddest kitten meow, and the strangest creaky door sounds. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem interested in getting into much trouble... aside from climbing the shower curtain. :rolleyes2: She has already gained her first real nickname, Licky, after her obsession with licking hands and phone cases, for whatever reason. :lol:

EchoIndy2.jpg

Meeting Indy for the first time. Echo's eyes says it all!

EchoCarrier2.jpg

That expression says, "Who are these two big kitties and why do they keep hissing at me?"

EchoRainbow2.jpg

:cloud9:

EchoHalloween2.jpg

I'm not someone who dresses up their cats... but it was Halloween, and despite her expression, she didn't seem to mind at all. :lol2:

EchoWorried2.jpg

This is also the face she makes right before she leaps up to grab onto the shower curtain. I know it well. :rolleyes2::lol:

EchoMeow2.jpg

I also know this face well when the cats get fed!

EchoChair2.jpg

Her eyes are way more gold coloured in real life.

EchoAlert2.jpg

Who's that??

EchoMouse2.jpg

The extent of her white hairs is seen here. :lol:

EchoCurtain2.jpg

Taken two seconds before my toothbrush and toothpaste was flung onto the counter so I could help her down. The Christmas tree should be worried once it goes up. :lol:

Last edited: