Introducing dog

Laurie00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m new to the site.
I have 5 rescue cats, ages 6-12.
My husband and I used to rescue doggies, but then switched to kitties.
I would like to adopt a dog, but my kitties’ safety is top priority.
I was wondering your opinions on whether I should introduce a puppy or an adult dog.
I feel a puppy would be better, since I can train, but my husband thinks an adult dog (one that has been known to get along with cats). I know puppies can be needy and may annoy the cats at first, but with the right training could grow up with them.
I have always had a dog before I got married, and even trained them, but my husband thinks an older dog is better.
Just wondering your opinions.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are adults (6 to 12 years you say?), so introducing a puppy that could be hyper active may annoy them. Puppies would want to play most of the day, which cats would want to sleep. SO for me I think it would be better to adopt an older dog - one that has previous experience with cats.

THANK YOU for also planning to adopt a dog aside from being kitty heroes.

Welcome to TCS as well!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think an adult dog that is known to get along with cats and had been trained in basic commands like sit, stay and leave it would be the best choice. If the dog can sit still while the cats are in the room sizing it up, it helps tremendously with relationships. Just just can’t get that for months with a puppy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have done both. The current, and very old GSD, was adopted as a puppy specifically because I wanted him to be immediately trained to accept cats. As an added plus, he was rescued initially by a cat rescuer who had 10 cats in the house, so by the time he got to me he was completely bonded to cats. He loves them but has no use for dogs as he was taken away from his mom when he was much too young. He is not a "dog person" and does not see why anyone wants to own one. ;)

On the other hand, his predecessor was a full grown male GSD when he was rescued and he was quite easy to train to leave the cats alone. So, I think it could go either way.

You probably know a lot about dogs since you did dog rescue, so I would avoid the problem breeds like sight hounds, basenjis, terriers with very high prey drive, some spitz breeds. If an adult dog has come from a home with cats, that would be great and your cats would eventually figure out that the dog was non threatening. Around here, most of the dog rescues and shelters do not test to see if a dog is cat tolerant. Of course, it can be a hard thing to do and you can't risk the life of a cat just to see if the dog will put up with him.

To give you a tiebreaker, my husband says that he will only accept a puppy who can be trained if we get another dog as he won't risk the cats to an adult who might be more unpredictable.

Katy Perkins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get a puppy, this will work even better. The cats won't be frightened by the dog's size and will quickly get the upper hand. The dog will respect them. Put them in the same room for short periods of time, building up to longer periods of time, where the cats can jump up somewhere out of the puppy's way if they need to.

If you get an older dog, try to get one with an established history of getting on well with cats or other pets. This is often on the dog's resume when you are looking for a dog.

Dogs that might chase cats are hounds including beagles and greyhounds, and most terriers, which are all bred to track and chase and hunt smaller prey. Plus I'd say any wolf-looking dogs like Huskies, Akitas, or German shepherds, which tend to require experienced dog owners and are a bit ‘sharper’ than some other breeds.
(esacarecom)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ime, most dogs can learn to live and accept cats with time and training. I added three adult pit mixes to my cats and have fostered or watched many other dogs, huskies, labs, aussies, etc. Most of them wanted to chase a cat given the chance or have decent prey drive but learned what's acceptable quick. They all get separated at first and leashed when loose in open areas so no chasing or lunging or bad behavior can happen without control. Kenneled when we leave until complete trust is earned. Main thing is being smart and safe about intros and reading the animals.