Introducing Dog [15 Years] To New Cat [6 Months] - Help :(

mChes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I wasn't sure where else to post this question, but this seemed to be the most appropriate. I'm so sorry that this will be a long post. I just wanted to give all the details of what I'm doing.

I recently (about a week+ ago) adopted a 6 month old stray cat (Haki) and have been acclimating him to the apartment by keeping him in the bathroom. He's very sociable and has been adjusting incredibly well to the situation. In the bathroom at least. I'd love to have him roam around the rest of the apartment... but...

The problem is that I have my 15 year old Silky Terrier (Coco). I've read so many introduction articles, but I'm still having some trouble thinking of solid methods of practice. I've had Coco has a single pet since I've had her at 2 months old, so she's never really been socialized with other animals in her "territory."

Even though Coco is very old numerically, she still has an insane amount of energy and spunk. Honestly, the only time she's genuinely tired is after a 1-2 hour walk, and she eats dry food like a champion. So, I'm not entirely worried about the cat and dog getting along energy-wise, but I need them to get along in the first place!!:stars:

The problem I'm having is figuring out a solid practice to help my dog get used to Haki. Here are the reasons I'm having trouble with figuring something out:

1. Coco's attention span is non-existent. If she deems something boring, she'd much rather be basking in the sun or sleeping in my closet. I tried practicing the "look, look away" type practice with her (on leash) and the cat (in boyfriend's lap), but after 2 minutes, Coco never really focused on the cat, got bored, and removed herself from the situation entirely, even with treats.
2. Coco doesn't care about other animals if they aren't in her direct attention. I've tried scent swapping and letting her sniff around the bathroom, but she doesn't even seem to notice Haki at all. She looked at me like "What do I do with this?" when I gave her a towel with the new cat smell. She walks into the bathroom, sniffs around, and leaves immediately. Even on walks, she doesn't engage with other dogs even though they come running at her. The only time Coco even notices is when Haki moves at all.
3. Coco isn't really excitable or aggressive. Like I said earlier, she loves lounging around in the sun and sleeping during her free time. The only time she gets excited is over food, but that excitement lasts for as long as she's eating. She's perfectly well-behaved otherwise. Even as a puppy, she was very sweet and quiet. I haven't seen her bark / chase after a squirrel or rabbit in years either.
4. I can't commit to a routine. My current work has very odd hours as I am a part time tutor. Some days I'm working 2 hours, some days I'm working 6. I know routine and practice is necessary for this introduction, but I'm afraid I won't be able to commit the necessary routine to help Coco become accustomed to her new roommate. I have been considering a pet trainer, but I'm also not sure how effective it would be while Haki is still adjusting to everything and Coco's lack of aggressive behavioral problems / attention span.

Literally the only time Coco seems to notice is when Haki moves. He could be sitting there and she'd just stare then walk away. The worst was when I accidentally left the bathroom door open 3 days after getting Haki, and he snuck around the corner. Coco freaked out when she saw him for the first time and ran at him, so thank god I'm quick enough to grab her. She does notice him occasionally now when she follows me into the bathroom, but she growls / yips a bit until I call her name and she's like "welp, I'm bored" and leaves. It's just when he moves that she barks and tries going after him, but I don't want to traumatize the cat by letting him walk around with her when he is still relatively new to the household.

I've tried crate exposure by putting Haki in Coco's dog crate and having her look at him while on leash. When she first noticed him, she went for the crate, but never actually made aggressive biting motions, more like "testing nips." After about 40 minutes of on and off attention, she resorted to trying to sniff through the bars with occasional low growls. I'm not sure I want to do this exercise again due to scaring Haki.

I have been feeding them near each other under my supervision to help with the adjustment. The cat on the bathroom floor, Coco outside the bathroom. She looks at him briefly then goes back to her food while Haki happily munches away with occasional glances. I practice the "look and ignore" method with Coco immediately after she's done eating (she eats in like 5 minutes) and while the cat is still nibbling at his wet food. It seems to be working since her whines and snorts are getting quieter, less frequent, and she's actively turning her attention to me after staring for a few seconds; but, I'm not sure if doing this twice a day for 10 minutes would be effective, or if my dog is even retaining anything.

To those who have dogs and cats in the same household, how did you do it??? Are there other introduction methods that aren't mentioned on the internet? Are there ways I can effectively and efficiently perform the introduction adjustment? Or is it too late for my dog and I just have to keep them separated forever?? :sigh:

Sometimes I feel like I'm on the right track, but then things seem to just roll backwards immediately after. I've never had two active pets before, so I'm truly at a loss at whether I'm even doing anything right. Right now, I'm just glad that Haki is so sweet and hasn't swiped at my dog yet despite her scary advances (though he does hiss at her sometimes now when he sees her). :cringe:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mChes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s an article that gives some great tips:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
I've read this article countless times. But what do I do if the scent exchange doesn't work or if the dog doesn't notice the new cat smell at all? Do I have to keep my dog on a leash all the time inside the apartment if I want to keep the bathroom door open for the cat to explore? Should I be keeping her in a crate all the time if I'm not home? Basically, should I be keeping my dog under house arrest to teach her while the new cat explores?
Coco is very good at keeping her composure when the cat is sitting or eating while I train her to ignore the cat. She looks then looks back at me without whining or barking. It's just when the cat moves.
Haki is still new and is scared of everything, so he's not very keen on moving around much with people around either. I don't want to traumatize him to stay under the couch forever because Auntie Coco is loud :nervous:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
mChes mChes I haven't read the article and probably should but rather speaking from personal experience so here goes....
Every cat and dog are different and you know your dog's temperament and what pushes his buttons the most. I'll try to cover the detailed info. you provided and answer your questions.

I would not recommend feeding them near one another. We have always kept our cat's food away from the dog. You wouldn't want an episode where the dog gets upset if the cat tries to eat his food or visa versa. Plus some cats like to graze and not eat all their food at once. Most but not all dogs eat their food rather heartedly. You should have a safe room for Haki away from Coco where her food/water bowls are and her litter box. BTW, dogs love to sniff and snack on kitty poop - they think it's a gourmet treat. :rolleyes:

Regarding putting Haki in Coco's crate, it's usually the other way around. Put Coco in his crate and let Haki explore the house. That's why Coco got upset because you put Haki in his den. I always introduced my dog and cat by having a loose leash on the dog. If Coco is comfortable with Haki and won't chase her you can let him drag the leash around the house. That way you can pick the leash up quickly if you notice aggressive or undesirable behavior. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:

I would recommend using the "leave it" command anytime you want Coco to ignore Haki. Praise Coco with treats or toys, whichever motivates him when he is listening to you. Even for the smallest accomplishment and appropriate behavior. Be patient, it will take time but they will more than likely become good friends. Coco is an older pup and Haki is still a kitten. When you have to work or leave the house put Haki in her safe room, that way you will have peace of mind and so will the animals. Best of luck, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I should probably go read that article now. :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mChes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mChes mChes I haven't read the article and probably should but rather speaking from personal experience so here goes....
Every cat and dog are different and you know your dog's temperament and what pushes his buttons the most. I'll try to cover the detailed info. you provided and answer your questions.

I would not recommend feeding them near one another. We have always kept our cat's food away from the dog. You wouldn't want an episode where the dog gets upset if the cat tries to eat his food or visa versa. Plus some cats like to graze and not eat all their food at once. Most but not all dogs eat their food rather heartedly. You should have a safe room for Haki away from Coco where her food/water bowls are and her litter box. BTW, dogs love to sniff and snack on kitty poop - they think it's a gourmet treat. :rolleyes:

Regarding putting Haki in Coco's crate, it's usually the other way around. Put Coco in his crate and let Haki explore the house. That's why Coco got upset because you put Haki in his den. I always introduced my dog and cat by having a loose leash on the dog. If Coco is comfortable with Haki and won't chase her you can let him drag the leash around the house. That way you can pick the leash up quickly if you notice aggressive or undesirable behavior. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:

I would recommend using the "leave it" command anytime you want Coco to ignore Haki. Praise Coco with treats or toys, whichever motivates him when he is listening to you. Even for the smallest accomplishment and appropriate behavior. Be patient, it will take time but they will more than likely become good friends. Coco is an older pup and Haki is still a kitten. When you have to work or leave the house put Haki in her safe room, that way you will have peace of mind and so will the animals. Best of luck, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I should probably go read that article now. :biggrin:
Hopefully things work as smoothly as you make it sound !
When might it be appropriate to introduce the two animals ? It's been a little less than 2 weeks and I haven't really let the cat out to roam the apartment because he still hides from me in the safe room. I didn't think overwhelming him with the rest of the apartment and dog was a good idea if he's still eyeing me cautiously and scooting into hideaways

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If he's acting timid it's okay, you mentioned he was a stray. Talk softly, sit on the floor and let him come to you when he's ready. If you let him roam the apartment put Coco in another room or have your boyfriend take him for a walk. The introductions can wait until he's comfortable with you and his new home. Once he's come out of his shell you can put up a baby gate between his safe room and the rest of the apartment. But leave a gap big enough for Haki to get under the gate and back in the room yet small enough so that Coco can not get under or in the room. Take it slow, there's no rush and you want him to adjust to his new surroundings. It takes time but eventually you'll look back and feel like the time flew by.