Introducing cats

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we're happy proud parents of 2 cheetoh kittens! aside from being a very tired cat mom, we're slowly doing the introductions so our resident Princess will see them and get used to them. The guides on this site really help! thank you! but what we anticipated didn't happen (haha when does it ever?)

From Lili's past history: she did not get along with other cats. Was abandoned twice. But found her happy home with us. She hates other neighbors cats and chases them out or gives them the death stare "Get off my land" speech.

So we knew this was going to be really slow and challenging. We thought she might be at the kittens' door ready to pounce and swipe at any moving furball.

Nope! instead, she completely ignores it. We've had two instances where she saw them (gate separated in between them) she hissed, ran away both times. Okay. So we did the scent transfer. Played with some toys, and got blankets with kitten's scent. She ignores it.

So now we're trying where Lili stays in our bedroom (this is her home base) and the kittens will run around the house for couple of hours so Lili will get used to baby kitty smells.

Any thoughts or perhaps improvements on what I can do? I'm not expecting one big happy family. I know Lili has issues. The kittens have themselves to play with but I know they're going to want to approach big sister sometime soon and of course, we want the entire house open to all three of them.

Any help or input would be great! thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many days have you had a gate up for? Its possible that this step will lead to more progress if you give it some more time.

Some of the guides add feeding the cats on opposite sides of the gate. I'm not a huge fan of this step, because it otten seems to cause everyone a lot of stress, and I don't know that it does anything that a little extra time won't. But you could try it, moving the food a bit further from the gate until it will work and gradually moving it closer. Also, if the older cat is avoiding the room with the gate, the feeding technique might be more useful than normal, as the whole idea of the gate is so the older cat can see the kitten without anything bad happening.

Beyond that, your sort of at the final step. The introduction process doesn't always get all the hissing and fear out, and thats ok. The cats can do some work on their own at the end. Still, be patient at this step and dont rush to move on. It would be nice if you can get to where there is no hissing, or at least to no hissing unless maybe the kitten is sticking paws through the gate or something.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And by all means, continue site-swapping. It mingles the smell of your resident cat with that of the kittens, and allows the kittens to roam around and get comfortable with no angst.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many days have you had a gate up for? Its possible that this step will lead to more progress if you give it some more time.

Some of the guides add feeding the cats on opposite sides of the gate. I'm not a huge fan of this step, because it otten seems to cause everyone a lot of stress, and I don't know that it does anything that a little extra time won't. But you could try it, moving the food a bit further from the gate until it will work and gradually moving it closer. Also, if the older cat is avoiding the room with the gate, the feeding technique might be more useful than normal, as the whole idea of the gate is so the older cat can see the kitten without anything bad happening.

Beyond that, your sort of at the final step. The introduction process doesn't always get all the hissing and fear out, and thats ok. The cats can do some work on their own at the end. Still, be patient at this step and dont rush to move on. It would be nice if you can get to where there is no hissing, or at least to no hissing unless maybe the kitten is sticking paws through the gate or something.
Gate has been up for about a week. First with the door closed now with it open with supervision (the babies climb the gate and screen door!)

So right now we're letting the kittens roam and our resident girl in our room. The babies are swiping under the door and our resident hissed. With some growling. I suppose the growling is normal too?

We tried the feeding method a few times with treats. We can try it again. She did have treats with them in sight but then instantly ran away. (I find this a little stressful)

I hope this site scent swapping works :) It's just a matter of time I hope!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Climbing the gate is pretty normal. You could try double stacking them -- the abillity to let them go about their day with the gate(s) up really helps!

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
... Adults don't usually hurt kittens and also don't perceive them the same as other adults. There is no reason not to hope that your cat will adjust to the kittens and even grow to like them. Every cat introduction is different ... hissing and growling is quite normal ... and so is paw slapping and, head bonking of adults with kittens - it is a gentle way to make a kitten back off - if they don't get the message they get pinned to the floor, sometimes with a bite that is well controlled. I am mentioning that because it might happen. in. the introduction process ... this doesn't mean your adult hates the kittens but she would act like a mom/adult would to keep the youngsters in line and establish her rules ( don't pounce on me ... stay away from my food... this is my sleeping spot ...) - Kittens learn quickly ... You are doing great - taking it slow and being careful ... my cats never eat together by the door during introduction ... it is not a spot they would usually eat ... so they just look at me like I have lost my mind ... instead ... we play with the cats under the door ... wands, strings, and mice fit under the door and we make it a game to entice both parties to the door ... with patience they will get used to each other and possibly even enjoy the company. It is absolutely perfect that you have two kittens!

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input! this makes me feel better and I'm glad I'm at least headed in the right direction. It's so hard to be patient when you just want them to be together so quick! but I know that would completely undo all our work.

The big challenge right now is resident cat is ignoring upstairs completely. She slept for the most part downstairs but eventually came to our room much later. My guess is she's just not used to their scent?

Update: Just today after herding the kittens into their room from our room (they seem to love spending time there), resident cat came into our room and slept on our chair. I think I could call this a small victory?

We're going to double stack the gates at the door and go from there, and continuing with the room swapping. One step closer! :)

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Second Update(s): Kittens were playing and reaching out at bottom of door. Resident cat just stared from her bed alert and alarmed...but went back to sleep.

Kittens still run around while resident kitty is outside surveying her land. Resident kitty comes in with no problem and goes upstairs with us now and sleeps with us (kittens are still enclosed in their room). I took kittens bed this morning and gave to resident kitty to smell. She smelled it, ignored it.

Then we did this...(see pic) haha looks like a showdown right? lol I played with the kittens, my husband played with resident kitty. Resident kitty was too alert and staring at the babies but then eventually ran away (maybe yelling out "OMG they STINK!")

Opinions...do you all think it's time to do the supervised visits sans barriers? I'm so scared to jump this step after all we've achieved.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You probably could...however, if you want to wait another day or two, just for your own peace of mind, DO IT! The more relaxed you are when you start the next phase, the more relaxed your cats will be.

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, that went out the door. Resident cat was outside and babies were having fun around our room. Some sort of miscommunication happened and resident cat was let in and in a flash chaos ensued. I don't even know what went down all I remember charging and running (possibly from resident cat) kittens hiding and family members flying about like chickens.

Back to separate rooms and room scent mixing again. I'll give them a few days to rest so they won't be on edge. I think we'll have to try putting a door stop and have them see each other through a crack. The gate thing isn't working and resident cat ignores their room/area. But she's all happy about going up to our room when they're gone to reclaim it as hers though ;)

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like we hit a wall here. :sigh:

After that little fiasco resident cat will now only sleep downstairs. Only comes upstairs to eat bits of food here and there but runs back down. The only time she'll come up is in the wee hours of the middle of the night to sleep in our room.

Kittens are around out and about only when she's outside. Then we herd them in when she's inside. Even then she only stays downstairs.

Any thoughts? I feel horrible. She's all by her lonesome downstairs and we give her lots of love and pets. Lots of treats as well. :confused:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This, too, shall pass. She had a shock to the system, and it will take longer than a couple of days for it to pass, but it will. You can, of course, encourage her with treats. The one thing I've learned with cats is that bribery of the right sort will get you EVERYWHERE. Cats are the corrupt politicians of the animal world!

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HUUUGEE Update. We've just been doing everything separate with them, using the patio screen door as a barrier between them and resident cat. Just hissing and the evil eye. Resident cat is now sleeping with us at night and spending time with us when kittens are in their room.

Then today kittens escaped and ran amok. Resident cat was on the couch giving them the stink eye. They were minding their own business until girl kitten decided to introduce herself. Resident kitty didn't feel like partaking in the jamboree and nearly swatted her. (our boy kitten all this time was just lounging and starting at this potential drama unfolding, possibly enjoying this) Girl Kitten doesn't listen at which point my husband stepped in and distracted her with a toy so resident cat won't stress out (eventually she had enough of the stinkers and asked to be let out and relaxed on the catio)

I'm thinking this is huge. So I'm thinking it's time for timed supervised sharing of the home. I'm getting excited but at the same time stressed because I don't want to go back to square one. We're doing such great progress.

On another note, one day we had the kittens in our room thinking resident cat was outside. We napped and played for an hour. When I was running around looking for resident cat because she was gone for so long and not responding to our calls, turns out she was IN THE CLOSET in our room the whole time sleeping. Wouldn't the kittens have sought her out in her hiding spot? I'm surprised at this. But I'm thinking this is a good sign too.

Any input on the timed sharing of rooms/home? I read where we should distract the kittens when they get too close to the resident cat but of course there's going to be times where they just want to interact (the kittens are so social and outgoing) resident cat sometimes runs away when they get too close so should I have some spots here and there for her to hide? our girl kitten is very energetic and playful more so than our boy. So would more interactive toys do the trick so she doesn't bother the older one?

Sorry for the long post. Am happy this is slowly working out. I want this done so we can all be happy :)