Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For others doing cat introductions, I want them to know that progress continues to happen, even after several months. Over the past week, Twyla and Hooper have started peacefully sleeping on the bed together on a regular basis! She gradually started back getting on the bed at night and he has for the most part learned that the bed is not the place to initiate play. It is not always comfortable for me as they both want to be touching me and I am a hot sleeper! During the day, Twyla sleeps upstairs and Hooper sleeps downstairs, with Twyla coming down a couple of times for food and playtime. They still play quite a bit and loudly (sometimes in the middle of Zoom meetings) but also give each other "kisses" and head butts. They are both happy cats. I probably won't do updates anymore since our introduction has been successful. Your suggestions really helped!

View attachment 336615View attachment 336616View attachment 336617View attachment 336618
This is such a great thread for how there are ups and downs, doubts, etc but hanging in there and staying with the program leads to success. It all comes down to knowledge and effort. Twylasmom has done an AMAZING job!!!

That last picture is so telling of their relationship. Twyla exposing her belly to Hooper. The biggest sign of trust between them.

I am going to miss pictures of these gorgeous cats!!! I have definitely fallen in love with them!! They are really special cats!!

Thanks for the updates and all you have done for them to give them love and a great home!! :clap2: 😍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I said no more updates but...things have gotten even better! Twyla now spends the majority of her time downstairs and will sometimes actively seek out Hooper for playtime OR snuggles. Last night she jumped on the couch and looked at me, looked at Hooper and decided to snuggle up to Hooper. They are really and truly buddies.

Napping on the bed. I left the house to run errands and they were still snuggled up when I came back.
2020-06-08 13.54.26.jpg

Twyla using Hooper for a pillow.
2020-06-09 18.54.59-2-1.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I said no more updates but...things have gotten even better! Twyla now spends the majority of her time downstairs and will sometimes actively seek out Hooper for playtime OR snuggles. Last night she jumped on the couch and looked at me, looked at Hooper and decided to snuggle up to Hooper. They are really and truly buddies.

Napping on the bed. I left the house to run errands and they were still snuggled up when I came back.
I so love Twyla and Hooper updates!
Your updates, photos, videos....really make any week and month better.

I cannot believe how Hooper has grown up so fast. They both look so relaxed and snuggly.
Twyla using Hooper for a pillow.
:lol: :crackup::cloud9:
They still play quite a bit and loudly (sometimes in the middle of Zoom meetings) but also give each other "kisses" and head butts. They are both happy cats.
Your last set of photos had me laughing, too.

The first photo: indeed looked like both cats were participating in a Zoom meeting, or watching one. :cool2:
Second photo : looked like Twyla was giving the 'mailroom team-members' pointers on how to wrap packages. :thumbsup:

Third photo: Made me a little nervous, because even though Hooper looks 'like a boss'...umm.....he was very close to items that seem a bit breakable, ...if he accidentally knocks into them. (I suggest museum putty or some sort of strong anchors for any nice breakables.) I just kind of remember when they both played with a pen on your counter...and sort of dropped the pen....and then kind of looked down at it...and it was hilarious. (Not sure if dropping a nice vase would be the same as dropping a pen.) :fear::hide:

But Hooper still looks good, and like he belongs on that side-table...so ...not sure what I would do. :)
Fourth photo: looks like the meeting was over ...and fun playtime started. :blush:

Hope you all have a fun and relaxing weekend.
Fantastic update.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to find a way to keep them out of the box spring in my bedroom. It would be one thing if one just wanted to hide in it, but they have ripped it open in a couple of places and play hide and seek in there when I am trying to sleep. Cute, but annoying.

Any simple suggestions? It would be a challenge for me to take the mattress and box spring off the frame by myself. Queen size and heavy. I have underbed storage boxes under there but that does not deter them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I could think of might be to remove all/most of that material on the bottom of the box spring?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me vs.cats. Round One: I have removed the fabric covering from the bottom of the box springs. They can still walk through them but all opportunities for "hammocking" have been removed. This was observed with much consternation and efforts to hinder the work by the offending parties were employed. Cats current mood: Disgruntled. I have rounds two and three planned if necessary. Stay tuned!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to find a way to keep them out of the box spring in my bedroom. It would be one thing if one just wanted to hide in it, but they have ripped it open in a couple of places and play hide and seek in there when I am trying to sleep. Cute, but annoying.

Any simple suggestions? It would be a challenge for me to take the mattress and box spring off the frame by myself. Queen size and heavy. I have underbed storage boxes under there but that does not deter them.
The only thing I could think of might be to remove all/most of that material on the bottom of the box spring?
I'm glad you answered this one, Furballsmom Furballsmom . :cool2:

Because I would have just taken a 'number 50 staple gun' and stapled more fabric to the underside. Ummm...yeah...that's so much more work...than taking the fabric off.
(Plus the cats would have figured out a way to tear it off anyhow.
How the underbed storage boxes don't deter them...is puzzling me. :think: )

Then I would have probably gone to buy some wooden boards, to match the bed frame, stain it the same colour,...and have no idea how to hinge it to the bed frame...to close it off from the cats.(OMy cats...that is so much work...just thinking about it makes me tired.) :thud:
Me vs.cats. Round One: I have removed the fabric covering from the bottom of the box springs. They can still walk through them but all opportunities for "hammocking" have been removed. This was observed with much consternation and efforts to hinder the work by the offending parties were employed. Cats current mood: Disgruntled. I have rounds two and three planned if necessary. Stay tuned!
Wow...looks like Round One...goes to the human. haha. :blush:

(I've got an Ikea bed frame with wooden slats...so not much help from me, here.)

***Sounds like the cats are 'disgruntled' about losing their 'cat's den' ...or nice 'sleeping hammock'. :clover:
***@Twylasmom ...maybe build them a few of those...and they won't be too disgruntled...and looking for more places to play...while you want to sleep.

I'm still looking forward to hearing about Round Two, and Three...though.
Will the cats win the challenge...or the human.:lovecat2: :winkcat: :biggrin:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, what I did with Waffles (he might have lived in the box spring had I not done this) is get a fabric staple gun and heavy staples and a flat sheet (it may have been a full size worked, for sure a queen size would) and I did have to slide the mattress off and turn over the box spring, using leverage- I didn't spend 40 years as a nurse and not learn how to leverage things to move them :) - and stapled the sheet to the wood on the box spring.
If you have help it's doable. Worked perfectly. The mattress was much harder to move than the springs. But like you said above not sure it's something you'd want to do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: Makes my day better!!!

I love your cats!!

Twyla is the first pic. CLASSIC!!!

Hooper in the 3rd pic. Loving life!!

And of course the two in the 4th pic. Family!!

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:itslove:

My goodness are they gorgeous!!!

Think they are loving life?!?!?!?!?!?

Total trust and love. Doesn't get any better!!

Well done Twyla, Hooper and Mom!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!!! PURE LOVE!!! How beyond ADORABLE are those pics?!?!?!?!?!

Talk about making someone's day!!! I LOVE the closeness, the trust, the love. I know how it lifts my feelings I can't imagine how ecstatic you are to see this!!

Hooper sure knows he is adorable in pic 3!!! Strike a pose.

And Twyla's leg over Hooper.

I think saving Hooper was the right thing. :D Twyla seems to be loving life!!! I think they found their soulmates.

Really great job on every level!! :clap2:

And thanks for sharing. I honestly can't get enough of them!! They are just so darn adorable!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Would you be able to get the big guy on a diet?
???
Hooper is at a healthy weight, he is tall, muscular and solid. Twyla is a little chubby, and is on a measured amount of calories per day, but progress is slow.

Last edited:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!!! PURE LOVE!!! How beyond ADORABLE are those pics?!?!?!?!?!

Talk about making someone's day!!! I LOVE the closeness, the trust, the love. I know how it lifts my feelings I can't imagine how ecstatic you are to see this!!

Hooper sure knows he is adorable in pic 3!!! Strike a pose.

And Twyla's leg over Hooper.

I think saving Hooper was the right thing. :D Twyla seems to be loving life!!! I think they found their soulmates.

Really great job on every level!! :clap2:

And thanks for sharing. I honestly can't get enough of them!! They are just so darn adorable!!!
They absolutely adore each other. I often come home from work and find them napping together on the couch. They also still play like crazy, wrestling, hide and seek and chasing each other around the house. Hooper is a sweet boy and Twyla is definitely more playful and active. I enjoy them so much!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They absolutely adore each other. I often come home from work and find them napping together on the couch. They also still play like crazy, wrestling, hide and seek and chasing each other around the house. Hooper is a sweet boy and Twyla is definitely more playful and active. I enjoy them so much!
I can totally tell. It really is a bond. REALLY special!!!

I LOVE that they are so close. I am guessing Hooper kind of worships Twyla.

Yep, the wildness. It is interesting to be able to interpret that. Some cats get pretty rough but they know the limit. That is hat tells us so much.

I LOVE that Twyla is more active and enjoying life. She has gone through some things and loss so to see her find almost a new life is wonderful. Hooper was destiny it seems. Such a positive addition. The way we dream it to be.

The family unit. You all are family with all the love and respect there can be. It honestly doesn't get any better. There is nothing more beautiful than true love!!!

You honestly have done such a great job. Really special!!!