Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I may not be getting out of bed anytime soon.....Twyla was looking out the window when I took the picture but now they are both snoozing, one on either side of my legs. Closest I have ever seen them sleep! Tonight we are doing a trial run of not shutting Hooper in at night. He is starting to rebel about being shut in. I have been hesitant because he usually drives Twyla away from any snuggle time with me, but she has been pushing back on that. Wish me luck!

IMG_0224.JPG

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I may not be getting out of bed anytime soon.....Twyla was looking out the window when I took the picture but now they are both snoozing, one on either side of my legs. Closest I have ever seen them sleep! Tonight we are doing a trial run of not shutting Hooper in at night. He is starting to rebel about being shut in. I have been hesitant because he usually drives Twyla away from any snuggle time with me, but she has been pushing back on that. Wish me luck!
Yeah, I can see the difficulty of getting out of bed, there. :lol::crackup::blush:
Who needs heat, when you have two little automatic leg warmers? :caticon::blackcat::cloud9:

Good luck tonight!

But also good luck in mastering the delicate art of 'extricating yourself out from under the blanket' while two fur cats snuggle and sleep, without disturbing these cute fur cats, and not waking or getting them to move in the process.
It doesn't look like it would be possible in how close they are, and you don't want to pull a muscle or do some sort of over-stretch just to get out of bed.
Ah, well...I guess they will learn to wake and roll over, when you roll or move, then. :biggrin: :clover:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
😍 Pure love. Doesn't get much better. What a wonderful way to start the day!!!

Thanks for sharing!! My heart is filled with joy from seeing them like this!!! I can imagine how happy, proud, etc you feel!! WONDERFUL!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We (meaning me, lol) are not quite ready to be out together all night. Too much crazy play when I am trying to get to sleep! But Hooper is only being shut in 7 or 8 hours a night. This evening Twyla was on my lap on the couch, and after a couple of minor disagreements, Hooper settled in next to me and they slept and sat quietly together for well over an hour, at which point I was the one who initiated getting up. They were facing opposite directions but there heads were literally an inch apart. Picture proof:

20200310_211733.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:) Yep, the cats do like to play around at night. :/ And we need our sleep especially nowadays.

With that said, it is totally fine to have Hooper sleep in his own bedroom. He doesn't seem to have any issues with it and it is a routine so he (and Twyla) should be fine. Cats tend to have their favorite sleeping places so if they like it I personally don't think having the door open or closed (as long as food, water, litter, ownership are in that territory) is an issue.

LOVE the picture!! The fact they are looking away tells me there is total trust. Sure there may have been a disagreement but it sure seems minor (logistical probably). They sure got over it quickly.

Overall, I call it totally fantastic. I am not at all concerned that Hooper sleeps in "his" room then gets to come out and have some fun. If we see any behavioral issues then we will deal with them but I don't expect any issues.

I never get over how adorable they are. I just LOVE that pic!! Not only are they just adorable cats I love how they get along so well. They really are brother and sister now. 😍

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I am now stuck teaching online for the rest of the semester and home all the time because of social distancing so lots of time to spend with my two. Overall, they are doing great and in the evenings they often spend time with me on the couch, though not necessarily together. At meal times they will sometimes change bowls halfway through - I guess they each want to make sure the other isn't getting something better. They also chase each other around and wrestle at least three times a day, they are both instigators. Maybe one day they will start to settle down? I actually think they do it more when I am home. Here is one of their friendlier (and quieter) encounters from earlier today:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love that they spend time on the couch with you at night. Even near is good. Anything that is positive is great. One of the greatest ways to continue to build trust and confidence between cats.

Hahahaha, yep, cats LOVE to see what the other cat has. The grass is always greener........... But I love that there is no aggression, negativity, etc. Another great sign of how much trust they have and confidence.

It is the things above that tell us so much as to how they are doing. I love to see they are doing great.

It is so funny. I had a picture of Twyla in my mind. That picture sure was wrong. She is a spitfire. She LOVES her new brother. Very confident, a bit of an instigator (in a good way). Hooper loves her, trusts her. They just love to play. Chase, wrestle. I always thought Twyla was a bit more "fragile". She is definitely doing well. Hooper was a great addition for her.

Hmmmmm, maybe one day. They just love their play though.

It is so common for the cats to play, have fun more when the parent is home. When we are gone they tend to sleep then they have that energy from us being around that they start to enjoy. VERY common. I am not at all surprised. And it is a good sign of how happy they are.

The video. They are something. Twyla does have some energy. And though it seems a bit rough, look at how Hooper is responding. And Twyla is very cognizant of her actions. To show restraint. There is no intention of hurting him. AND she is exposing her belly which shows us she totally trusts Hooper. A cat's belly is a very vulnerable part. Then Twyla gets up and tries to get Hooper to play with soft, gentle pawing. Then Hooper rolls over and exposes his belly. They are so funny.

Twyla looks like a kitten in that video. It really is cool to see her acting so young and enjoying herself. And Hooper, what can I say. He is really a good boy that just loves his sister.

They are not only gorgeous cats I just love their personalities.

Keep up the great work and thank you for the updates. I love to see them!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is where we are now - they are essentially out together all the time and peacefully coexisting, eating and playing together. Hooper is a big love bug and is a little codependent, he wants to be around me all the time.

The only thing that is distressing me is I seem to have lost Twyla as a snuggle buddy, though she will get up on the couch or bed with me briefly, she mostly sleeps upstairs on the guest bed. I understand that during the day, because that is usually when I am at work (and I am looking forward to being able to doing that again someday). She comes downstairs several times a day to get something to eat, play, look out the windows, and ask for attention but rarely gets on my lap. Now that Hooper is out at night she doesn't sleep with me much than either, though he usually sleeps on the cat tree and not the bed. She seems perfectly happy and healthy except for this change. I've been trying to determine if this is a dominance thing and Hooper has become the alpha or if she is just seeking out a quiet place to sleep, since she doesn't have that young cat energy and I am home ALL the time. I had been trying to keep Hooper shut in at night but that's not really working anymore. Do you think she will eventually adjust (it's only been a few nights) or is this the new normal?

I make sure to give her individual attention, but I sure do miss having her jump in bed or snuggle in my lap.

Have I mentioned I am home all the time? They are both probably sick of me, lol.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"they are essentially out together all the time and peacefully coexisting, eating and playing together." - Fantastic!!!

"Hooper is a big love bug and is a little codependent, he wants to be around me all the time." - Awwwwww, so sweet. Yes, they can really warm up. The "co-dependence" could be just love and also wanting to be there for some excitement (food, play, etc). And some cats are just more of a lovebug.

"The only thing that is distressing me is I seem to have lost Twyla as a snuggle buddy, though she will get up on the couch or bed with me briefly, she mostly sleeps upstairs on the guest bed. I understand that during the day, because that is usually when I am at work (and I am looking forward to being able to doing that again someday). She comes downstairs several times a day to get something to eat, play, look out the windows, and ask for attention but rarely gets on my lap. Now that Hooper is out at night she doesn't sleep with me much than either, though he usually sleeps on the cat tree and not the bed. She seems perfectly happy and healthy except for this change." - I have experienced this many times and have seen it many times. I think there are a few reasons. Usually I find the biggest reason is they feel so confident and comfortable with the other cat around that they now feel they have 2 others to "protect the territory". So before they were with us more and now they feel like they can be more independent. For some cats, they decide the other cat is more interesting so they tend to spend more time with them. It happens often, what the real reason behind it is I am not exactly sure. but those are my theories. I have experienced it and seen it many times.

One thing is, I know it is disappointing, saddening, etc. We feel like we "lose" our baby. But as long as they are happy, act normal, walk with confidence, etc then it is a sign we have done a good job. Since cats take on our emotions it is important to remain positive, confident, and loving around them. If they sense we are different some cats can get more cautious (of course some actually come to our aid to help with our emotions as well). What I do is just keep loving, giving food, inviting them up but not forcing attention. And cats will go in spurts. When it is warmer they will sleep or hang out on our laps less typically (which could be going on). Just keep loving her and I think we'll see what she chooses. But I know, it can be sad to see our baby "grow up".

"I've been trying to determine if this is a dominance thing and Hooper has become the alpha or if she is just seeking out a quiet place to sleep, since she doesn't have that young cat energy and I am home ALL the time." - I don't think it is a dominance thing. I do think it is probably the reasons from above. If it was dominance you would see it in her behavior and body language.

Also, as you do point out, I am not surprised she is not hanging out as much during the day since cats love routines and that her is routine when you are at work. Cats LOVE to sleep during the day and stick to their routines. So the change during the normal home times is most telling.

"I had been trying to keep Hooper shut in at night but that's not really working anymore." - I don't think it would change her behavior in any way. I don't think Hooper (directly) is the reason for the change.

"Do you think she will eventually adjust (it's only been a few nights) or is this the new normal?" - Very hard to know.Since it is only a few nights it could just be a blip. Cats can change a little. And it could be as simple as stress causing more human movement in bed that disturbs a cat and they chose another place and like it. But as long as they aren;t acting differently (in a negative way) then I wouldn't worry. But I know the feeling, it is saddening to feel like we are "losing" our baby.

My little girl was ALWAYS on me. And now she chooses the other cats to sleep with etc. It is a bit hard but I think it is not because of us but because the cat is more of a cat cat then we think.

"I make sure to give her individual attention, but I sure do miss having her jump in bed or snuggle in my lap." - That is the key. Just love her like always, give her attention. Encourage her to snuggle but don't force. Just hang out with her in her territory. Just love. I know, I miss my snuggle time as well with them and they do go in spurts and may come back and get some. I am not sure I always miss the walking over my head or the whiskers when they are sniffing my mouth etc. ;) It is kind of nice to get a good undisturbed night of sleep. :flail:

"Have I mentioned I am home all the time? They are both probably sick of me, lol." - Hahahahaha, I don't think so. At my stage of life I am home all the time anyway and they are always upstairs sleeping, looking out of the windows, grooming each other, etc. Then they come down for their lunch and go back up to groom and sleep. Cats.......................

I wouldn't worry. I can pretty much guarantee Twyla loves you more now then she ever has. She sure seems like she is loving life and feeling really confident. I do suspect that additional contentment is probably why she is a little more independent. I know that sure seems like my situations I have seen (currently and in the past).

I think you should be absolutely proud of what a great job you have done with them. :purr:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"they are essentially out together all the time and peacefully coexisting, eating and playing together." - Fantastic!!!

"Hooper is a big love bug and is a little codependent, he wants to be around me all the time." - Awwwwww, so sweet. Yes, they can really warm up. The "co-dependence" could be just love and also wanting to be there for some excitement (food, play, etc). And some cats are just more of a lovebug.

"The only thing that is distressing me is I seem to have lost Twyla as a snuggle buddy, though she will get up on the couch or bed with me briefly, she mostly sleeps upstairs on the guest bed. I understand that during the day, because that is usually when I am at work (and I am looking forward to being able to doing that again someday). She comes downstairs several times a day to get something to eat, play, look out the windows, and ask for attention but rarely gets on my lap. Now that Hooper is out at night she doesn't sleep with me much than either, though he usually sleeps on the cat tree and not the bed. She seems perfectly happy and healthy except for this change." - I have experienced this many times and have seen it many times. I think there are a few reasons. Usually I find the biggest reason is they feel so confident and comfortable with the other cat around that they now feel they have 2 others to "protect the territory". So before they were with us more and now they feel like they can be more independent. For some cats, they decide the other cat is more interesting so they tend to spend more time with them. It happens often, what the real reason behind it is I am not exactly sure. but those are my theories. I have experienced it and seen it many times.

One thing is, I know it is disappointing, saddening, etc. We feel like we "lose" our baby. But as long as they are happy, act normal, walk with confidence, etc then it is a sign we have done a good job. Since cats take on our emotions it is important to remain positive, confident, and loving around them. If they sense we are different some cats can get more cautious (of course some actually come to our aid to help with our emotions as well). What I do is just keep loving, giving food, inviting them up but not forcing attention. And cats will go in spurts. When it is warmer they will sleep or hang out on our laps less typically (which could be going on). Just keep loving her and I think we'll see what she chooses. But I know, it can be sad to see our baby "grow up".

"I've been trying to determine if this is a dominance thing and Hooper has become the alpha or if she is just seeking out a quiet place to sleep, since she doesn't have that young cat energy and I am home ALL the time." - I don't think it is a dominance thing. I do think it is probably the reasons from above. If it was dominance you would see it in her behavior and body language.

Also, as you do point out, I am not surprised she is not hanging out as much during the day since cats love routines and that her is routine when you are at work. Cats LOVE to sleep during the day and stick to their routines. So the change during the normal home times is most telling.

"I had been trying to keep Hooper shut in at night but that's not really working anymore." - I don't think it would change her behavior in any way. I don't think Hooper (directly) is the reason for the change.

"Do you think she will eventually adjust (it's only been a few nights) or is this the new normal?" - Very hard to know.Since it is only a few nights it could just be a blip. Cats can change a little. And it could be as simple as stress causing more human movement in bed that disturbs a cat and they chose another place and like it. But as long as they aren;t acting differently (in a negative way) then I wouldn't worry. But I know the feeling, it is saddening to feel like we are "losing" our baby.

My little girl was ALWAYS on me. And now she chooses the other cats to sleep with etc. It is a bit hard but I think it is not because of us but because the cat is more of a cat cat then we think.

"I make sure to give her individual attention, but I sure do miss having her jump in bed or snuggle in my lap." - That is the key. Just love her like always, give her attention. Encourage her to snuggle but don't force. Just hang out with her in her territory. Just love. I know, I miss my snuggle time as well with them and they do go in spurts and may come back and get some. I am not sure I always miss the walking over my head or the whiskers when they are sniffing my mouth etc. ;) It is kind of nice to get a good undisturbed night of sleep. :flail:

"Have I mentioned I am home all the time? They are both probably sick of me, lol." - Hahahahaha, I don't think so. At my stage of life I am home all the time anyway and they are always upstairs sleeping, looking out of the windows, grooming each other, etc. Then they come down for their lunch and go back up to groom and sleep. Cats.......................

I wouldn't worry. I can pretty much guarantee Twyla loves you more now then she ever has. She sure seems like she is loving life and feeling really confident. I do suspect that additional contentment is probably why she is a little more independent. I know that sure seems like my situations I have seen (currently and in the past).

I think you should be absolutely proud of what a great job you have done with them. :purr:
Thank you for this. And I agree that you are most likely right. She certainly isn't hiding or experiencing loss of appetite, just less interested in me and needing less atention! She did get on the bed for a bit last night. I was sleeping on my stomach and she was between my legs. A bit later I felt Hooper jump up on the bed and he settled down next to me and started bathing. She stuck it out until he started bathing her and then she left (at least I think that's what happened since I couldn't really see any of it!). Also, they are both calmer in general, Hooper is slowly losing some of that kitten energy. He will be one year old in a couple of weeks and Twyla will be twelve (I use May 1 as their presumptive birthdays).

I think with the way things are right now there is more of a tendency to worry about everything, and not a lot of opportunity to gain distance or perspective. I can't change what's going on in the world, so I fixate on things at home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"She certainly isn't hiding or experiencing loss of appetite"- That is great. The most important thing.

"She did get on the bed for a bit last night. I was sleeping on my stomach and she was between my legs." - :yess: :clap2:😍 Mine too last night.

"A bit later I felt Hooper jump up on the bed and he settled down next to me and started bathing. She stuck it out until he started bathing her and then she left (at least I think that's what happened since I couldn't really see any of it!)." - Awwww. Well, I guess I can't argue with her leaving. I know my one cat will stick her head in the other to get groomed. And sometimes she doesn't want to groom and swats her or just leaves. Cats...................................

"they are both calmer in general" - GREAT

"Hooper is slowly losing some of that kitten energy. He will be one year old in a couple of weeks and Twyla will be twelve (I use May 1 as their presumptive birthdays)." - Yes, they do sometimes. Let's hope. I will say some cats tend to love to get energy when they love their siblings. This morning my 2 10yr olds and my 8 year old were acting like 6 month olds. CRAZY wild!! But it is not as sustained as when they are young. Let's hope Hooper and Twyla stay calmer. But I would expect bouts of energy judging by how much they love each other.

"I think with the way things are right now there is more of a tendency to worry about everything, and not a lot of opportunity to gain distance or perspective. I can't change what's going on in the world, so I fixate on things at home." - TOTALLY. Sadly. We can't leave the home because of being at risk and that increases stress and increased stress can cause issues. It actually sounds like you are doing really well managing the stress as your cats don't seem affected. I know our stress here is high but we have built their confidence which must be helping them fend off the increased stress of the times. The more confident the cats are the more likely they will not be affected by the increased stress. Given how well your cats are doing I would say you have done a very good job of building their confidence. You have done a great job in everything. They are doing amazingly well. You should be really proud with not only saving another life but giving them both great lives. I know I am proud of you!!!

Just always feel free to post. I will definitely try to give you perspective. Always good to get another opinion. AND I will always give it to you straight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, they are both calmer in general, Hooper is slowly losing some of that kitten energy.
I think your perspective is good - you're able to see this, good for you!!

By the way, if you need a break you could try some of the live cams on explore . org - there are zen ones, sanctuaries, big cats, kitten rescues, dogs, birds, bats (the flying foxes are MARVELOUS), oceans, bears, honeybees, donkeys, horses ...

Last edited:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twyla came out and sat on my lap this evening. After a bit, Hooper jumped on the back of the couch and after about twenty minutes crawled down next to Twla. After about a half hour of snoozing she started bathing him. Then he bathed her. She eventually had enough and left. Amazing!
20200420_204145.jpg 20200420_204441.jpg 20200420_204533.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Twyla came out and sat on my lap this evening. After a bit, Hooper jumped on the back of the couch and after about twenty minutes crawled down next to Twla. After about a half hour of snoozing she started bathing him. Then he bathed her. She eventually had enough and left. Amazing!
Are these the same cats, Twyla and Hooper, that you started with at the beginning of this thread?? Haha. :blush: :wink:
Could they have been switched somewhere down the line...and perfect imitations of the same cats replaced?
(I think I'm watching too much sci-fi, now. :paperbag: )

Really gorgeous photos. :)
To think where they started, and how they act and look now....is truly Amazing!
Yay!

(I like the way smart Hooper decides to take the protected inside corner of the sofa...just so Twyla cannot accidentally push him off the couch. :lol:
It's great seeing and reading your updates on these two. :clover: )

For some reason, I find that your cat intros went faster than normal, but then I realize that you took a lot of effort into allowing both cats space, routine, and time for adjustment. Not to mention multiple Distractions and Play, toys, and many options for safe time apart.
I suppose it's also both Twyla and Hooper's personalities, as well as your own, to help them adjust to each other.
You really, really, have done an amazing job! :thumbsup: :cloud9:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 330983View attachment 330984View attachment 330985

😍

My heart is exploding with positive emotions seeing this. I can imagine how your heart is feeling!! This is SO HEARTWARMING to see/read!!!

Special is an understatement. It really is PURE LOVE!!! I mean, life doesn't get much better than this.

THANK YOU for helping me start the day on such a positively amazing note!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been over a week with Hooper being out with Twyla 24/7. Overall they are doing great but bedtime can be challenging. It's no problem if Twyla chooses to sleep in the guest room, but she likes sleeping with me. Hooper has a hard time leaving her alone and she gets annoyed and leaves. Last night was the exception, and they slept peacefully on the bed for 5 hours, with Hooper in a cat bed and Twyla next to me. Early mornings are rough as their prime chase and rough housing time is between 5 and 7 in the morning and they are not quiet! Unfortunately that is a time I would prefer to be sleeping.

One of their favorite things, and a great bonding activity is watching bird videos together. This will occupy them for 30 or 40 minutes and they will come out in the living room and wait for me to turn on the tv.

Here they are on a movie date:

IMG_0240.JPG

And here is Twyla smooching Hooper (he smooched her back a minute later and then they continued watching.
IMG_0239.JPG

Hooper showing off his tightrope walking skills:
IMG_0237.JPG

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HOW ADORABLE ARE THOSE PICTURES?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I think there is LOVE!!! 😍

Is Twyla grooming Hooper in pic 2?

"they will come out in the living room and wait for me to turn on the tv." - I LOVE this!! They are SO SMART!!

"It has been over a week with Hooper being out with Twyla 24/7. Overall they are doing great but bedtime can be challenging. It's no problem if Twyla chooses to sleep in the guest room, but she likes sleeping with me. Hooper has a hard time leaving her alone and she gets annoyed and leaves." - That is totally normal. Especially when a cat just loves the other cat. Not every cat loves to be with the other cat 24/7. They (like us) oftentimes like their "me time".

"Last night was the exception, and they slept peacefully on the bed for 5 hours, with Hooper in a cat bed and Twyla next to me." - AWESOME!!! They are figuring it out. The great news is they have a strong base of love to support their future.

"Early mornings are rough as their prime chase and rough housing time is between 5 and 7 in the morning and they are not quiet! Unfortunately that is a time I would prefer to be sleeping." - Yep. You are actually a little lucky. Mine start about 3:30-4:00am. :( Cats LOVE to be active in the late evening and early mornings. That is "hunting time" in the wild.

I just love Twyla and Hooper. You have done such an amazing job with them. Hooper's life was saved AND he has an amazing life and Twyla just has really responded to a new brother. It seems like it helped make her world even bigger and more fulfilling. She seems to have blossomed even more (she had a great life before so that is saying something). It is so heartwarming. Just wonderful on every level!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For others doing cat introductions, I want them to know that progress continues to happen, even after several months. Over the past week, Twyla and Hooper have started peacefully sleeping on the bed together on a regular basis! She gradually started back getting on the bed at night and he has for the most part learned that the bed is not the place to initiate play. It is not always comfortable for me as they both want to be touching me and I am a hot sleeper! During the day, Twyla sleeps upstairs and Hooper sleeps downstairs, with Twyla coming down a couple of times for food and playtime. They still play quite a bit and loudly (sometimes in the middle of Zoom meetings) but also give each other "kisses" and head butts. They are both happy cats. I probably won't do updates anymore since our introduction has been successful. Your suggestions really helped!

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG