Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Or, have a covered one (large) with the opening facing a corner?
Could use a top entry one with out the top, and have a ramp going up to the top, cutting down the height if needed. Or maybe Hooper would go up the ramp too :headscratch:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she would feel more cornered in a covered box, and I have never had a cat that would use one. It would certainly help with litter flinging, though.

I was able to watch them this morning. He approached the box while she was peeing and got right up to her but she just continued her business. He backed off and she scratched around a little and then left. I think it just depends on their dispositions at that particular moment.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"She was definitely eating too quickly (and too much, because Hooper is a less motivated eater and she will eat his portion if I don't pick it up) and one of those days it was probably ten hours between meals." - That makes sense. A slow feeder might help her.

"I am thinking of scattering a few small dishes around the house during the day with a few kibble in each so they can hunt for it and see what that does." - I would probably not do that as she may just go and try to find it and overeat early and still be hungry later on. I would probably have either a timed dispenser and/or a slow feeder.

"I also think the elevated bowl will help, and it is a better option with her arthritis." - Agreed.

"As for the litter box, she already has a tendency to shoot over the sides of the box which is why I tape up pee pads." - Yes, is it because she is so long or her arthritis?

"I have caught Hooper in the act when she is in the box. He isn't being aggressive, but will either just sit right next to the box and watch, try to stick his nose in, or even get in the box with her! Usually she can get her business done before he shows up but he comes running the second he hears scratching noises. Hopefully this is something he will outgrow." - Yes, some cats are very interested........ :/ I think he will outgrow it but probably not soon enough. I would try to watch and then let him know it is not something you want him to do. I am not sure how well he listens but I would try. If words don't work then I would try using a toy or a treat to distract him but after he is watching her so he learns that (and we learn) that there is something more interesting than watching her.

"Twyla just tried to join Hooper on my lap a bit ago. It was unsuccessful but good to see." - That is great. Just keep reassuring them. They will be cuddling together at some point. I just get a sense.

I try and give them lots of things to investigate together. Their curiosity wins out every time. They are pretty cute together most of the time!

"I was able to watch them this morning. He approached the box while she was peeing and got right up to her but she just continued her business. He backed off and she scratched around a little and then left. I think it just depends on their dispositions at that particular moment." - That is REALLY good!!! Shows a lot of trust. I love that he backed off. Maybe (let's hope) that he is already getting better!!

Are you using the extra large litter box? I have a girl that is a real long body and she needs a big box. The sides are not as high as the smaller but higher 2 piece box but sometimes a larger one can give more space. But I know some cats with arthritis can have some issues even in larger boxes. :/ Puppy pads are a common and good solution.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using a 'sure flap RFID cat door'....and installing it in the wall of a room,...or door...if you think that would be easier for you?

(I did read some of the reviews, and watched some youtube videos, where the cat actually defeats the intention of the cat door by opening it using their paws and claws...which is kind of genius of the cat...but the company seems to have sent the owners a replacement door, or modified one,...so not sure if that worked better.)

(Knowing Twyla, she would probably figure out how to open it and disassemble it within a day, but not sure if Hooper would also catch on to this.)

I think this company also makes RFID feeders, but for what you need ...a timed feeder would be better, and one in where you may have to place wet food...so it would need a place to hold ice in, to keep the wet food fresh. I guess it depends on the type of food Twyla and Hooper need throughout the day.
Twyla might be throwing up not only because she eats too fast, but also because the acidity in her stomach might be too high, since she is used to more smaller meals spaced throughout the day.
I think they do make better timed feeders, both for wet and dry food, which might not be too expensive.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using a 'sure flap RFID cat door'....and installing it in the wall of a room,...or door...if you think that would be easier for you?

(I did read some of the reviews, and watched some youtube videos, where the cat actually defeats the intention of the cat door by opening it using their paws and claws...which is kind of genius of the cat...but the company seems to have sent the owners a replacement door, or modified one,...so not sure if that worked better.)

(Knowing Twyla, she would probably figure out how to open it and disassemble it within a day, but not sure if Hooper would also catch on to this.)

I think this company also makes RFID feeders, but for what you need ...a timed feeder would be better, and one in where you may have to place wet food...so it would need a place to hold ice in, to keep the wet food fresh. I guess it depends on the type of food Twyla and Hooper need throughout the day.
Twyla might be throwing up not only because she eats too fast, but also because the acidity in her stomach might be too high, since she is used to more smaller meals spaced throughout the day.
I think they do make better timed feeders, both for wet and dry food, which might not be too expensive.
I have used these timed feeders and been pleased with them, then gave the wet food when I'm home:

I now use the Surepet microchip feeders since my three are totally different in their eating- 1 piggy, and 2 grazers.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"She was definitely eating too quickly (and too much, because Hooper is a less motivated eater and she will eat his portion if I don't pick it up) and one of those days it was probably ten hours between meals." - That makes sense. A slow feeder might help her.

"I am thinking of scattering a few small dishes around the house during the day with a few kibble in each so they can hunt for it and see what that does." - I would probably not do that as she may just go and try to find it and overeat early and still be hungry later on. I would probably have either a timed dispenser and/or a slow feeder.

"I also think the elevated bowl will help, and it is a better option with her arthritis." - Agreed.

"As for the litter box, she already has a tendency to shoot over the sides of the box which is why I tape up pee pads." - Yes, is it because she is so long or her arthritis?

"I have caught Hooper in the act when she is in the box. He isn't being aggressive, but will either just sit right next to the box and watch, try to stick his nose in, or even get in the box with her! Usually she can get her business done before he shows up but he comes running the second he hears scratching noises. Hopefully this is something he will outgrow." - Yes, some cats are very interested........ :/ I think he will outgrow it but probably not soon enough. I would try to watch and then let him know it is not something you want him to do. I am not sure how well he listens but I would try. If words don't work then I would try using a toy or a treat to distract him but after he is watching her so he learns that (and we learn) that there is something more interesting than watching her.

"Twyla just tried to join Hooper on my lap a bit ago. It was unsuccessful but good to see." - That is great. Just keep reassuring them. They will be cuddling together at some point. I just get a sense.

I try and give them lots of things to investigate together. Their curiosity wins out every time. They are pretty cute together most of the time!

"I was able to watch them this morning. He approached the box while she was peeing and got right up to her but she just continued her business. He backed off and she scratched around a little and then left. I think it just depends on their dispositions at that particular moment." - That is REALLY good!!! Shows a lot of trust. I love that he backed off. Maybe (let's hope) that he is already getting better!!

Are you using the extra large litter box? I have a girl that is a real long body and she needs a big box. The sides are not as high as the smaller but higher 2 piece box but sometimes a larger one can give more space. But I know some cats with arthritis can have some issues even in larger boxes. :/ Puppy pads are a common and good solution.
I use large boxes with high sides and a lower entry area so it is easy for her to get in and out. I think the peeing over the top is most likely linked to her arthritis, it happens about once a week. She was doing it before it was diagnosed, but it was most likely already an issue. She is also a fairly long cat. The pads are an easy solution and quick clean-up.

Automatic feeders sound like the best way to go. If I put one upstairs and one downstairs that should cover it. Vomiting or regurgitating is an extremely rare occurrence for her so it was atypical for her to scarf and barf two days in a row. No incidents over the weekend when we are on the four meal schedule. Those daytime meals are small, but must make a difference. I also think it might be a little bit stress related, even though they are doing really well together, since it happens when they have been left alone together for longer periods. That is still pretty new for them, though they get more comfortable every day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I use large boxes with high sides and a lower entry area so it is easy for her to get in and out. I think the peeing over the top is most likely linked to her arthritis, it happens about once a week. She was doing it before it was diagnosed, but it was most likely already an issue. She is also a fairly long cat. The pads are an easy solution and quick clean-up." - Ahhhhh, makes sense. Yes, I am guessing it is probably her arthritis or maybe she gets a little stiffer after they are playing. The puppy pads are a great solution. Though I wish someone would make a larger, higher box with a low entry for all the cats that have that issue. :/

Agree on the auto feeders. Yes, the smaller meals and more frequent are probably the reason for not having the issue. It could be stress but I am guessing it is more hunger driven. So common. With the auto feeders we will see.

Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My feeders should come tomorrow but we have been barf free so far this week. No further litter box incidents either.

I am beginning to think that they may actually become snuggle buddies eventually! They now both come to the door to greet me when I get home and double team me until they get food.:lol: Tonight while I was fixing their food I saw Twyla give Hooper a couple of swipes with her tongue. Later, she jumped up and settled down on my lap while Hooper was lying beside me. :woo: After about a minute he decided to start grooming her, washing her face and ears, which she was tolerating until he started adding in love bites. After a bit of that she got annoyed and they wrestled a minute and she got down. He followed and they wrestled a bit more and then just wandered off. This morning I witnessed a ridiculous boxing match between them - sitting up on their haunches facing each other and slapping away.

Still putting Hooper in his own room at night so Twyla can get some quiet time with me (and so I can get some sleep!) but other than that they are out together all the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're terrific!!
This morning I witnessed a ridiculous boxing match between them - sitting up on their haunches facing each other and slapping away.
this really is hilarious when they do this sort of thing :lol:

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great on the feeders.

So great that she isn't having those issues. Have you feed smaller portions more often when possible? What change do you think is helping?

I think they are going to be snuggles buddies as well. :D Especially with this wonderful update. I LOVE that she groomed him!! :yess: AND she goes up on you with him there. No fear. LOVE it!!! Yep, they are siblings now. Can disagree and make up. The love is there and strong.

Hooper reminds me so much of one of my ferals. LOVES to groom then of course has to give love bites (which don't always go over well). But they get over it AND then repeat the grooming/love bites. :/ Cats....................................................

Awesome on having them out all of the time. I think it is fine he is in his room (he probably loves it).

GREAT work!!! I am SO PROUD of you for all your efforts!! You have done an amazing job!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick update. Overall they are doing really well, playing hard and sometimes too rough (still) but are also getting more comfortable hanging out together. Picture is from this morning. I have only seen Twyla get up on the top level of the cat tree once before but she defended her position shortly after this picture was taken. She is now sound asleep up there and Hooper is sleeping on the bed about six feet away, which is the first time I have seen them both sleeping in the same room!

IMG_0213.JPG

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The picture says it all. WONDERFUL!!!

Interesting she went to the top. And then defended that space. AND that Hooper accepted and slept near. I LOVE that she feel so confident to sleep there. Terrific!!

That picture is SO ADORABLE!!! 2 kitties LOVING LIFE!!! Doesn't get much better than that.

It is so funny Twyla likes her rough play. Go figure, I never thought she would but they do surprise us. I have definitely seen a different cat than I thought she was. She is so awesome. I just love her personality!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are having a nice day today so I cracked a couple of windows so they could breathe some outdoor smells. They have been doing variations of this for the past twenty minutes. Also, for two out of the last three mornings there has been no aggressive playing, but they make up for it in the afternoon.

IMG_0216.JPG

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, HOW ADORABLE!!!!

That could be turned into framed prints etc. For inspiration. The picture with Friendship underneath. Togetherness. Love. Etsy might have another product.

That picture is seriously moving. Like makes my heart go warm.

AMAZING picture. Seriously great photography!!

I LOVE how they are touching. I know what I am feeling and can't imagine how great you are feeling. SO WONDERFUL!!!!

Thanks for sharing the picture. MADE MY DAY!!! :D