Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
her paw at him! Of course she got hissy when he responded and they ended up wrestling, but she definitely invited him to play. She was obviously feeling much better today.
That's really cool! Actually inviting Hooper :banana1: Here's hope for that continuing!

So what about making some homemade cat puzzles. (pretty much all these ideas are from other members)
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
(the above link was provided by Furballsmom Furballsmom ..and also @Hellenww.)
(I just did a "search" for 'cat food puzzles'....in the upper right hand corner...and you get many threads that mention them.)
Thanks for reminding me of this. I need to do this

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had a couple of cute moments this evening. Hooper came into the bedroom and Twyla was sitting on the corner of the bed. He came over, stood up to greet her and they had a good nose to nose and sides of face touch. He came up on the bed, got on the cat tree, etc. while she watched. Later I was tossing toys for them on the floor and Twyla flopped down in front of Hooper, rolled partially on her back and reached out her paw at him! Of course she got hissy when he responded and they ended up wrestling, but she definitely invited him to play. She was obviously feeling much better today. She still gets tired of his non-stop energy (as do I!) but I feel that if we could get to a point where they don't always have to be constantly in each other's business that they could be out together longer. That feels like a step that it is going to take a while, because she wants to nap when he wants to play.

WOW!! This is FANTASTIC!!! It is just a matter of time now. Success is in view.

"Hooper came into the bedroom and Twyla was sitting on the corner of the bed. He came over, stood up to greet her and they had a good nose to nose and sides of face touch. He came up on the bed, got on the cat tree, etc. while she watched." - This is amazing. She trusts him. This is exactly what we try to accomplish.

"Twyla flopped down in front of Hooper, rolled partially on her back and reached out her paw at him!" - Shows us a few things. Cats would never expose their most vulnerable area (belly) to a cat they don't trust. That shows how much trust there is. And it sounds like Hooper wasn't scared of Twyla jumping down. Again, a sign of trust.

"Of course she got hissy when he responded and they ended up wrestling" - Yep, she is telling him to "watch it" and "be careful". Part of the teaching process. She is doing her part in the intro process.

"She still gets tired of his non-stop energy" - Totally normal.

"I feel that if we could get to a point where they don't always have to be constantly in each other's business that they could be out together longer." - Absolutely will happen. Hooper at some point will "get the point". Yes, it does take some time but just keep doing your part and Twyla will do hers. They are going to be fine.

I LOVE this update. GREAT progress!! You are almost there. Well done!! Keep up the great. Ask anything anytime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know you mentioned that you have many toys for Hooper and Twyla, but are you into 'arts and crafts'.
A member on another thread, @Animal Freak, mentioned how mental stimulation for a cat is very effective for tiring them out.

So what about making some homemade cat puzzles. (pretty much all these ideas are from other members)
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
(the above link was provided by Furballsmom Furballsmom ..and also @Hellenww.)
(I just did a "search" for 'cat food puzzles'....in the upper right hand corner...and you get many threads that mention them.)
We have a couple of puzzles - one that can hold toys or treats and one food puzzle. Unfortunately Hooper isn't very food motivated when he is in hyperdrive! Rotating toys really helps, as does vigorous games of fetch. I am enjoying the fact that he will sometimes calm down enough to nap on my lap.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I let them interact with minimal intervention today. They swatted and wrestled a lot, with Hooper usually backing off and Twyla holding a position (either lying down or sitting). Looked like a combination of play and boundary setting, with Hooper usually the one to back off. He would go under the bed and she would either go after him, reach a paw at him, or wait for him to come to her, sometimes taking the opportunity to wash her face. It ended after about 30 minutes when they both got into chase mode, and Hooper wouldn't let up. Twyla tires of that and wants to get away. I need to try and get a video!

I dream of the day they aren't constantly in each other's face.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably try to do a bit more distraction if possible. Play or treats. Something to just show each of them that it is not "all go" all the time,

The fact they are not hurting each other is a positive.

Watch how they act after these encounters.

Sounds like Hooper is respecting her and it sounds like Twyla is not afraid of him. Or Hooper afraid of her. They both are showing restraint which tells us their is respect and trust. The fact she is washing her face is awesome. Shows you how she views it. Seems a lot like play.

Your dream will come true. This is the process. Twyla is teaching him some manners and social skills. He is learning. This is what cats love, another cat to play with. Of course it is wild and gets to be too much but they work that out with help from us.

What you experienced is normal. Just try to maybe try to distract a bit (if possible) and keep working on making those positive associations and positive encounters. If you can safely have Hooper sleeping on you and Twyla somewhere around that could be wonderful.Make it so Hooper thinks "I am too comfortable here to wanna mess with her".The could be a path to getting more of that downtime started. Of course, Hooper is a young cat with loads of energy. Try it after Hooper eats and is full. Could help slow him down a bit. Most cats love to play, then eat, then groom. then sleep.

Hang in there, it is a question of WHEN they will get along rather than IF. They will get along. Just keep making those positive associations and positive encounters.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would probably try to do a bit more distraction if possible. Play or treats. Something to just show each of them that it is not "all go" all the time,

The fact they are not hurting each other is a positive.

Watch how they act after these encounters.

Sounds like Hooper is respecting her and it sounds like Twyla is not afraid of him. Or Hooper afraid of her. They both are showing restraint which tells us their is respect and trust. The fact she is washing her face is awesome. Shows you how she views it. Seems a lot like play.

Your dream will come true. This is the process. Twyla is teaching him some manners and social skills. He is learning. This is what cats love, another cat to play with. Of course it is wild and gets to be too much but they work that out with help from us.

What you experienced is normal. Just try to maybe try to distract a bit (if possible) and keep working on making those positive associations and positive encounters. If you can safely have Hooper sleeping on you and Twyla somewhere around that could be wonderful.Make it so Hooper thinks "I am too comfortable here to wanna mess with her".The could be a path to getting more of that downtime started. Of course, Hooper is a young cat with loads of energy. Try it after Hooper eats and is full. Could help slow him down a bit. Most cats love to play, then eat, then groom. then sleep.

Hang in there, it is a question of WHEN they will get along rather than IF. They will get along. Just keep making those positive associations and positive encounters.
I can easily go back to providing a little more distraction than I did today.

My big challenge is orchestrating having them meet with either one on my lap or asleep near me, though I totally agree it would make a big difference. I live alone so don't have anyone that can help by going to open a door or take down a gate. I have tried to sneak away when he is asleep on the couch to let Twyla out but so far he wakes up and follows me every time. I have been able to go sit on the bed with Twyla before he wanders into the bedroom and that does help a little. Hooper also hides whenever anyone comes over so that has made using helpers not very practical. Any suggestions on how to orchestrate this is welcome. He is always waiting at his door when I go to let him out.

I usually go and let her out when he is sleepier. I will also feed them together but he is often more interested in her than the food (though he usually lets her eat in peace)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think your Hooper could learn to wear a harness?

(A cat harness can be good for cats, when you have to take them to the vets. By having the harness on, they are prevented from jumping off the exam table, and running all over the room.)

(My previous rainbow cat, took weeks to learn to wear one,....he hated it at first, rolled and rolled, but eventually got used to having one on. I did not have the new type of soft, velcro ones...but rather the ones with straps. I also had to teach him to wear one, in very short time intervals, ...so as not to get him too upset. Also, never leave one on a cat unless you can see them.)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can easily go back to providing a little more distraction than I did today.

My big challenge is orchestrating having them meet with either one on my lap or asleep near me, though I totally agree it would make a big difference. I live alone so don't have anyone that can help by going to open a door or take down a gate. I have tried to sneak away when he is asleep on the couch to let Twyla out but so far he wakes up and follows me every time. I have been able to go sit on the bed with Twyla before he wanders into the bedroom and that does help a little. Hooper also hides whenever anyone comes over so that has made using helpers not very practical. Any suggestions on how to orchestrate this is welcome. He is always waiting at his door when I go to let him out.

I usually go and let her out when he is sleepier. I will also feed them together but he is often more interested in her than the food (though he usually lets her eat in peace)
I think a little distraction can be good. It is really about having them have a positive encounter. It really doesn't matter if a person is there or not but it does make it easier to have a person there providing a conduit of positivity. Anything to have them together without any negativity (which is a positive).

Yes, if it is not possible it is not a big worry. Just if it can happen it is good. It is basically all the same. If we are sitting on the floor with them, or having them on our lap, etc. It is just about creating a positive environment and having them and showing them that the other cat doesn't mean harm.

"I have been able to go sit on the bed with Twyla before he wanders into the bedroom and that does help a little." - If this is the only way that is fine. This is perfect. The interaction they had the other day by the bed was PERFECTION. If it is only that happening often it will work.

Yes, they tend to be waiting at the door and follow us. But if we can distract them and keep their attention as we move through the common territory then that could work. The difficulty usually is that the cat sees the other cat and wants to play so it is really important to keep their focus on a treat in your hand or a toy or something.

"I usually go and let her out when he is sleepier." - Yes, that is a very good time to do it.

"I will also feed them together but he is often more interested in her than the food (though he usually lets her eat in peace)" - Feeding together is really a great way to build that trust etc. Try to make sure he is maybe a bit more hungry or it is really attractive food. Something he goes wild about if possible. It is GREAT that he let's her eat in peace. THAT is really important in building that trust. That is why they have progressed so much.

The issue you have and what we all tend to have is the new little,one just thinks they are in Disneyland with this new playmate and they get so excited and of course the resident cat just isn't as interested and has some doubts early on (seems like Twyla is having a lot less doubts about him lately - Twyla seems more tired of "messing about" rather than feeling threatened by him now). Hooper is going to learn (and I think he already has to some degree) that play 24/7 is not possible. So distracting and giving Twyla a break can help.

Hopefully that helps a little. Let me know if it doesn't. You have done a great job so far, we'll get this last little bit. It just takes some repetition and some teaching by Twyla to get Hooper to understand the "rules".

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today has definitely been a step backwards kind of day. Hooper just wouldn't calm down and was non-stop chasing and going crazy (this after being out for four hours and having them eat together at the gates). They were playing nicely and peacefully through the gate and so I let Twyla out a little earlier than I planned because she was insistent (she absolutely refuses to use the litter box in the bedroom). I managed to keep him distracted while she did her business but otherwise it was pretty chaotic and my attempts at distraction were pretty useless. Everyone is fine but days like this are pretty discouraging.

Should I just call it a day or try again later if the opportunity presents itself?

Edited to add:
He finally calmed down quite a bit, so I snuck away from the couch where he was sleeping to open the bedroom door for Twyla. He ended up following me so I very quietly sat on the bed. Twyla was curled up in her cat bed. He came up and they touched noses and then he slowly opened his mouth as if to bite her neck. She drew back and he stopped, then wandered the bed and room a bit and then sat quietly looking out the window from the cat tree next to the bed. A few minutes later he came up to her again, with me doing some gentle redirection with a pillow. He walked around to her backside and slowly opened his mouth as if to lick her but instead pulled off a little bit of loose fur. It wasn't aggressive and she really didn't respond to what he was doing and couldn't even be bothered to get up or hiss. Everyone was calm at that point so I took him up to his room. So what does THAT behavior mean?

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"having them eat together at the gates" - How did they do? Focused on the food and not too much on each other?

"They were playing nicely and peacefully through the gate and so I let Twyla out a little earlier than I planned because she was insistent (she absolutely refuses to use the litter box in the bedroom). I managed to keep him distracted while she did her business but otherwise it was pretty chaotic and my attempts at distraction were pretty useless. Everyone is fine but days like this are pretty discouraging." - Great that they were well behaved at the fate and GREAT that he could be distracted while she used the litter. When you saw chaotic, was it just rough stuff? Was there any hiding (for long periods not short).

When you say everyone is fine - does that mean they acted normal after the chasing, batting, etc?

Was there any serious issues - meaning did you see any fear in wither cat? Or any change in behavior? Or any real fighting?

If they rebounded quickly and you think Hooper may be a bit tired out (I know it is hard to tire them out) then I think you could try again but not a big deal if you don't.

One thing. Does Twyla like the bedroom? I know she doesn't like to use that litter box. I do want to make sure she is using the litter box when she needs to. Hooper is going to be fine in integrating into the house so I would probably err on the side of Twyla having more access to the litter box she likes.

I was going to answer to the question about trying again but I see you did it (which was my advice if you thought it would be positive). And I would call the interaction in the bedroom very positive. Here is why:

"He came up and they touched noses" - Not a sign of distrust. A sign of trust. GREAT.

"and then he slowly opened his mouth as if to bite her neck. She drew back and he stopped" - Yep, cats will do that. Like a Love Bite. AND he stopped!!! :yess: That tells me he is learning that Twyla doesn't accept some of this stuff. If there was a problem he would be attacking her. He didn't nor did she attack him. This is a major positive.

"hen wandered the bed and room a bit and then sat quietly looking out the window from the cat tree next to the bed" - WOW, this is AWESOME!!! Not paying attention to Twyla???? WELL DONE HOOPER!!! And it shows us that Twyla is getting through to him. Teaching him.

"A few minutes later he came up to her again, with me doing some gentle redirection with a pillow." - Good job trying to distract.

"He walked around to her backside and slowly opened his mouth as if to lick her but instead pulled off a little bit of loose fur." - Another love bite. If he anted to attack, hurt he could have. He chose not to. THAT is a GREAT sign. BTW, one of my ferals is exactly like this. Always giving the other boy a love bite.

"she really didn't respond to what he was doing and couldn't even be bothered to get up or hiss." - And if you don't believe my take on it Twyla is telling us the same thing. I can;t tell you how positive her reaction is. TRUST. The cats will tell us when there is a problem. Twyla saw it as a non-event. This tells me you have basically succeeded. We need to finish off the last little bit but this went as well as it can. If there were issues this would not have been like this.

"Everyone was calm at that point so I took him up to his room." - successful positive encounter!! :lolup:

"So what does THAT behavior mean?" - It means he has no intention of hurting her (if he wanted to he could have), it is play/love, she doesn't fear him and she trusts him (no cat would let another cat get behind them if they didn't trust them).

Everyone was calm and it was a positive encounter. I think this tells us a lot. I tells us that they are basically intro'd. Meaning the trust is there. We still need to finish the process off, getting them to not focus totally on each other (mostly Hooper to Twyla) which we just need to get over the novelty of having this new, cool playmate. She is teaching him so rules and he obeys at times (no as often as we like but he is young).

Just keep making the positive associations (feeding them near each other (treats or a meal, gate or no gate which ever works that they eat instead of focus on each other) and keep trying to make the encounters as positive as possible.

My take is Hooper feels really comfortable with Twyla and wants to play pretty much all the time with her. She tolerates and trusts him but after a while gets annoyed as adult cats aren't about play all the time like young cats. He will get the point that Twyla is not always wanting to play. Use distraction etc to get him to "let up" and hopefully Twyla will do her part to communicate her displeasure.

I know it feels frustrating as they are chasing and it isn't ever calm and feels chaotic and distraction is hard as a toy or food is not as attractive as another cool cat but actually there are a lot of positives in this. I am really pleased because we are not worried about one cat hurting another cat (intentionally) but rather just trying to limit the bother of one cat to another. Watching how they act after (calm, normal) tells me that they think it is fine (though in the heat of the moment Twyla is probably getting tired of it).

Do you ever see Twyla instigate chases etc? And how does Hooper act? I think when Twyla chased him under the bed and pawed and then groomed herself might have been an instance, any others?

They are fine. Just keep making positive associations and positive encounters. The novelty of Twyla will reduce in time.The bedroom is a really good place it seems to make positive encounters.

Don't worry, you are doing great.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"having them eat together at the gates" - How did they do? Focused on the food and not too much on each other?

"They were playing nicely and peacefully through the gate and so I let Twyla out a little earlier than I planned because she was insistent (she absolutely refuses to use the litter box in the bedroom). I managed to keep him distracted while she did her business but otherwise it was pretty chaotic and my attempts at distraction were pretty useless. Everyone is fine but days like this are pretty discouraging." - Great that they were well behaved at the fate and GREAT that he could be distracted while she used the litter. When you saw chaotic, was it just rough stuff? Was there any hiding (for long periods not short).

When you say everyone is fine - does that mean they acted normal after the chasing, batting, etc?

Was there any serious issues - meaning did you see any fear in wither cat? Or any change in behavior? Or any real fighting?

If they rebounded quickly and you think Hooper may be a bit tired out (I know it is hard to tire them out) then I think you could try again but not a big deal if you don't.

One thing. Does Twyla like the bedroom? I know she doesn't like to use that litter box. I do want to make sure she is using the litter box when she needs to. Hooper is going to be fine in integrating into the house so I would probably err on the side of Twyla having more access to the litter box she likes.

I was going to answer to the question about trying again but I see you did it (which was my advice if you thought it would be positive). And I would call the interaction in the bedroom very positive. Here is why:

"He came up and they touched noses" - Not a sign of distrust. A sign of trust. GREAT.

"and then he slowly opened his mouth as if to bite her neck. She drew back and he stopped" - Yep, cats will do that. Like a Love Bite. AND he stopped!!! :yess: That tells me he is learning that Twyla doesn't accept some of this stuff. If there was a problem he would be attacking her. He didn't nor did she attack him. This is a major positive.

"hen wandered the bed and room a bit and then sat quietly looking out the window from the cat tree next to the bed" - WOW, this is AWESOME!!! Not paying attention to Twyla???? WELL DONE HOOPER!!! And it shows us that Twyla is getting through to him. Teaching him.

"A few minutes later he came up to her again, with me doing some gentle redirection with a pillow." - Good job trying to distract.

"He walked around to her backside and slowly opened his mouth as if to lick her but instead pulled off a little bit of loose fur." - Another love bite. If he anted to attack, hurt he could have. He chose not to. THAT is a GREAT sign. BTW, one of my ferals is exactly like this. Always giving the other boy a love bite.

"she really didn't respond to what he was doing and couldn't even be bothered to get up or hiss." - And if you don't believe my take on it Twyla is telling us the same thing. I can;t tell you how positive her reaction is. TRUST. The cats will tell us when there is a problem. Twyla saw it as a non-event. This tells me you have basically succeeded. We need to finish off the last little bit but this went as well as it can. If there were issues this would not have been like this.

"Everyone was calm at that point so I took him up to his room." - successful positive encounter!! :lolup:

"So what does THAT behavior mean?" - It means he has no intention of hurting her (if he wanted to he could have), it is play/love, she doesn't fear him and she trusts him (no cat would let another cat get behind them if they didn't trust them).

Everyone was calm and it was a positive encounter. I think this tells us a lot. I tells us that they are basically intro'd. Meaning the trust is there. We still need to finish the process off, getting them to not focus totally on each other (mostly Hooper to Twyla) which we just need to get over the novelty of having this new, cool playmate. She is teaching him so rules and he obeys at times (no as often as we like but he is young).

Just keep making the positive associations (feeding them near each other (treats or a meal, gate or no gate which ever works that they eat instead of focus on each other) and keep trying to make the encounters as positive as possible.

My take is Hooper feels really comfortable with Twyla and wants to play pretty much all the time with her. She tolerates and trusts him but after a while gets annoyed as adult cats aren't about play all the time like young cats. He will get the point that Twyla is not always wanting to play. Use distraction etc to get him to "let up" and hopefully Twyla will do her part to communicate her displeasure.

I know it feels frustrating as they are chasing and it isn't ever calm and feels chaotic and distraction is hard as a toy or food is not as attractive as another cool cat but actually there are a lot of positives in this. I am really pleased because we are not worried about one cat hurting another cat (intentionally) but rather just trying to limit the bother of one cat to another. Watching how they act after (calm, normal) tells me that they think it is fine (though in the heat of the moment Twyla is probably getting tired of it).

Do you ever see Twyla instigate chases etc? And how does Hooper act? I think when Twyla chased him under the bed and pawed and then groomed herself might have been an instance, any others?

They are fine. Just keep making positive associations and positive encounters. The novelty of Twyla will reduce in time.The bedroom is a really good place it seems to make positive encounters.

Don't worry, you are doing great.
Eating together : Twyla is always focused just on the food. Hooper sometimes is but his focus will shift from food to Twyla.

Chaotic moments: mostly Hooper chasing Twyla as she is just going about her business, using the scratching post, etc. Usually just a brief tussle and they separate but no one hides. Twyla will head back to the bedroom when she gets tired of him and I will either close the door or put gates back up. She doesn't hide but will sit and watch him, wash, or get in her bed. They acted normal afterwards, though Hooper was still wound up.

Neither seemed afraid, and nothing that I would call a fight, just relentless chasing.

Does Twyla like the bedroom? Yes, she does. She sleeps with me and it is also her preferred place to sleep during the day, either in her bed on the bed or a shelf in the closet that gets sun. She also has a cat tree to look outside, food and water dish and the litter box in the closet. They do seem to do well in there.

Twyla doesn't usually instigate a chase, but will instigate play. Hooper will back off, but come back pretty quickly.

I was hoping you would say those were love bites! He is just obsessed with her and is always checking the gate to see if she is up. She will also go upstairs sometimes and sit outside his door. He just needs to not be such a stalker!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Eating together : Twyla is always focused just on the food. Hooper sometimes is but his focus will shift from food to Twyla" - This is fantastic. Twyla not focusing on Hooper tells me that she is not worried/afraid of him and of course is enjoying something positive with him. Yes, he is focusing on her because he is so excited. Again, it is how the cats react that tells us a lot about where they are.

How far away are the food bowls and is the gate up or is there any barrier between them?

"Chaotic moments: mostly Hooper chasing Twyla as she is just going about her business, using the scratching post, etc. Usually just a brief tussle and they separate but no one hides. Twyla will head back to the bedroom when she gets tired of him and I will either close the door or put gates back up. She doesn't hide but will sit and watch him, wash, or get in her bed. They acted normal afterwards, though Hooper was still wound up." - Again, fantastic. Hooper just loves her, wants to play it sounds. It is like a kid at Disneyland. They want to ride the rides and not leave. Twyla is Disneyland it sounds. And again, it is how they react after that tells us what they thought of it. Sounds like she calmly just goes away to rest and she grooms and watches him. If she seems relaxed and fine then she is telling us that he may be an annoyance at times but she doesn't see him as a threat or a serious negative. Hooper will be wound up because he wants to play. He is just enjoying Twyla too much to just settle down. It is like chocolate, some of us 😻 (me) just never want to stop eating it. :D

Sounds like the chasing is play. Mine love a good chase, it is some ways cats love to play. It is hilarious when the chases go back and forth and when one tries to get the other one to chase. As long as it leading to fights and abnormal behavior I am not worried about it. Of course, we do want to try to distract to show the other cat all is fine and that there are other options for fun. Of course, for young cats it is very hard. Just try to make it as positive as possible for Twyla and of course Twyla has to do her part to tech him what is acceptable and what isn't (which it sounds like she is doing).

"Does Twyla like the bedroom? Yes, she does. She sleeps with me and it is also her preferred place to sleep during the day, either in her bed on the bed or a shelf in the closet that gets sun. She also has a cat tree to look outside, food and water dish and the litter box in the closet. They do seem to do well in there." - Great. Yes they do well in there probably because she is so confident in there. Sounds like a great set up for here. Does she ever use the litter box in there?

"Twyla doesn't usually instigate a chase, but will instigate play. Hooper will back off, but come back pretty quickly." - Great. Again, shows what she is thinking. Hooper comes back because he trusts her and loves it.

"He is just obsessed with her and is always checking the gate to see if she is up." - I would have to see it but I am guessing he just LOVES her. She is Disneyland

"She will also go upstairs sometimes and sit outside his door." - Wow, searching him out. Doesn't sound like she is trying to "limit his territory" or anything negative (given all I have read about all the interactions) and it doesn't sound like she is afraid of him (avoiding him)..

"He just needs to not be such a stalker!" - Hahahahahaha, yep!!! But the really good thing is he does give her a break at times. The novelty of a new playmate will wear off a little as time goes by AND Twyla teaches him decorum.

I am really proud of Twyla how well she is doing with him. And of course, all your efforts to get them to this point. Keep up the great work.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick answer to how close they will eat - heads practically touching with the barrier up, about a foot apart without the barrier (on a good day).

I was able to get some videos today. These were after a series of chases and several rolling around, screaming and hissing incidents. First and second ones show Twyla maintaining a position and watching Hooper. The second one is after he went into the bathroom and she followed a few minutes later to see what he was doing. In the last one he was stalking her as she was walking, I just missed catching her flopping onto the floor into the position shown. Wasn't able to get video of him chasing and pouncing on her throughout the house. She also went after him under the bed at one point. About an hour divided in two sessions, both ended peacefully and Hooper got a treat when put in his room. He will get more personal playtime this evening.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the delayed response.

"Quick answer to how close they will eat - heads practically touching with the barrier up, about a foot apart without the barrier (on a good day)." - Fantastic.

1st Video- Twyla sure is GORGEOUS!!! She seemed relaxed, positive body language. Hooper I couldn't see much. He liks going underneath there?

2nd Video - PERFECTION!!! GREAT body language from both. TOTAL respect, play mode. Hooper had every chance to attack etc. None of that. Twyla not at all afraid of him. PERFECT!!!

3rd Video - PERFECT. Is Hooper adorable or what?!?!?!?! GREAT body language. Both relaxed, trusting. Hooper wanted to play but was hesitant. Twyla has no fear. I LOVE how Hooper looks away. A sign of trust. And Hooper is behind Twyla and no sign of fear. Trust again. PERFECT.

4th Video - Hooper's body language relaxed, positive. Wants to play, Twyla puts her ears back ready for rough stuff and Hooper backs off. And Twyla seems relaxed pretty much the whole time.

Overall, I see two cats that have a lot of trust between them. You basically succeeded in their intro. You built that trust between them. Sure they play too rough and we don;t want it to be misinterpreted (so we do want to try to distract) but it looks to me like Twyla is doing a great job teaching him it is not ok to be so rough and play all the time. I don't see anything in these videos that cause me any worry. Not even a little. Honestly, they are perfect. I know the videos do not represent all the encounters but I do believe they represent the intent of the cats and the beliefs of the cats (towards the other one). They are going to be fine.

Of course, we still need to make sure every encounter is as positive as possible (distract as needed) and keep making those positive associations (feeding together and doing the bedroom interactions (or if you can in other areas as long as it is positive). Basically get encounters like they are having in these videos. Because these videos are fantastic!! Anytime they are together like this where nothing happens that is negative is a positive.

Really great job, keep up the great work!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the delayed response.

"Quick answer to how close they will eat - heads practically touching with the barrier up, about a foot apart without the barrier (on a good day)." - Fantastic.

1st Video- Twyla sure is GORGEOUS!!! She seemed relaxed, positive body language. Hooper I couldn't see much. He liks going underneath there?

2nd Video - PERFECTION!!! GREAT body language from both. TOTAL respect, play mode. Hooper had every chance to attack etc. None of that. Twyla not at all afraid of him. PERFECT!!!

3rd Video - PERFECT. Is Hooper adorable or what?!?!?!?! GREAT body language. Both relaxed, trusting. Hooper wanted to play but was hesitant. Twyla has no fear. I LOVE how Hooper looks away. A sign of trust. And Hooper is behind Twyla and no sign of fear. Trust again. PERFECT.

4th Video - Hooper's body language relaxed, positive. Wants to play, Twyla puts her ears back ready for rough stuff and Hooper backs off. And Twyla seems relaxed pretty much the whole time.

Overall, I see two cats that have a lot of trust between them. You basically succeeded in their intro. You built that trust between them. Sure they play too rough and we don;t want it to be misinterpreted (so we do want to try to distract) but it looks to me like Twyla is doing a great job teaching him it is not ok to be so rough and play all the time. I don't see anything in these videos that cause me any worry. Not even a little. Honestly, they are perfect. I know the videos do not represent all the encounters but I do believe they represent the intent of the cats and the beliefs of the cats (towards the other one). They are going to be fine.

Of course, we still need to make sure every encounter is as positive as possible (distract as needed) and keep making those positive associations (feeding together and doing the bedroom interactions (or if you can in other areas as long as it is positive). Basically get encounters like they are having in these videos. Because these videos are fantastic!! Anytime they are together like this where nothing happens that is negative is a positive.

Really great job, keep up the great work!!!
Thank you so much! They have had two sessions today, the first was pretty awesome, but I think they were over stimulated during the second and had several wrestling matches, then a peaceful interlude and then a really big tussle, afterwards Hooper shot under the bed and Twyla followed and they just sat and looked at each other before he ran out of the bedroom and I ended things for the day. They were both in a very relaxed state the first session, Hooper was in a quieter mood and followed me into the bedroom when I went to get something. Twyla saw him and woke up, he jumped on the bed and they did a very long greeting with nose touches, attempted love bites and Hooper trying to throw his front leg over Twyla's back, which she gently rebuffed. There was a lot of the same type of activity as on the videos, but Hooper was distracted enough that Twyla was able to go use her box, wander around the living room and do some birdwatching before coming back to the bedroom. The second encounter wasn't planned, Twyla was right at the door to the bedroom and came out ready to rumble! Talk about letting her set the pace. After I put Hooper up in his room, Twyla came out and ate and passed out hard in my lap. Putting that boy in his place is hard work!

So about ninety minutes combined. Hopefully we can build on that. I am either observing, sitting in the same room with one or both of them, or distracting Hooper when he gets too pouncy and overly focused on her. I am finding it is better to not use the gates, but just keep the door shut and periodically open it to invite an interaction or not. The gates are so noisy to take down that it is like sending Hooper an alarm.

My big issue right now is me not trusting them together without me being really close by. I guess that is where time and patience comes in.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"the first was pretty awesome" - :hyper: :yess:

"They were both in a very relaxed state the first session, Hooper was in a quieter mood and followed me into the bedroom when I went to get something. Twyla saw him and woke up, he jumped on the bed and they did a very long greeting with nose touches, attempted love bites and Hooper trying to throw his front leg over Twyla's back, which she gently rebuffed. There was a lot of the same type of activity as on the videos, but Hooper was distracted enough that Twyla was able to go use her box, wander around the living room and do some birdwatching before coming back to the bedroom." - This is FANTASTIC!!! Exactly what we are looking for. He wants to play, Twyla says "not so fast" he respects that and then she feels comfortable to go in the other room and come back. Doesn't get any better than this. The fact they can and do do this tells me all is well.

"The second encounter wasn't planned, Twyla was right at the door to the bedroom and came out ready to rumble! Talk about letting her set the pace. After I put Hooper up in his room, Twyla came out and ate and passed out hard in my lap. Putting that boy in his place is hard work!"

"had several wrestling matches, then a peaceful interlude and then a really big tussle, afterwards Hooper shot under the bed and Twyla followed and they just sat and looked at each other before he ran out of the bedroom and I ended things for the day. " - Wrestling could just be rough play. If there wasn't any fear or hair out/blood etc then they are careful not to hurt each other. It is a choice they make not to hurt the other one which goes to their intent. It seems like that is there thing - Hooper likes to go under the bed and they watch each other. The fact it doesn't escalate is very positive. And it sounds like Twyla did well after it so she sure doesn't view it as negative. How was Hooper after it?

90 minutes is great. In a week or 2 (depending on how they are doing) we may just have you go about your business and have them together for as long as possible. I know what you mean, it is hard to trust them. I honestly think they will not hurt each other but it still may be a bit too rough and too intense to let them be unsupervised. I think they both respect each other and love each other and so no signs of wanting to hurt the other cat so I don't think the risk is injury but more a set back in the trust they have towards each other (that it may escalate without interaction). But I would like to see the tussles on video if possible just to get a better sense.

Don't worry, you are almost there. You have done a great job.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After 3 gloomy, rainy days it is beautiful and sunny here. Somehow this has ramped up the crazy in both cats. I gave up after 20 minutes. Argh!