Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have much new to report. Hooper has been roaming the house a lot more and is much more confident about things like loud noises, the television, etc. He has even used Twyla's litter box. So far there hasn't been any interaction through baby gates. Twyla has just been avoiding going upstairs and I decided to wait on trying the gates downstairs until Hooper is neutered.

He had his surgery this morning and comes home tomorrow. I left his room open in case Twyla wanted to explore and she did! She hissed once upon entering the room and then just walked around and sniffed everything, including his litter box and his hiding place. She seemed pretty relaxed so I would say she is comfortable with his scent.

I'm going to give Hooper a day or two to recover and then I have to start working on next steps!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we are at through the gate introductions. Having to do it with Twyla in my bedroom (her safe place) and Hooper with the run of the downstairs. A typical interaction has Hooper very curious and Twyla hissing and growling quite a bit. Both will eat treats. After a couple of minutes Twyla just walks away and doesn't come back, but I leave gates up and door open so she can hear and Hooper will come back and sniff. Can progress be made if face to face interactions are so short? I admit I am feeling discouraged and that I waited too long to get to this point and it is now a cat to cat rather than cat to kitten introduction.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are at a difficult point. Making progress with gate introductions, but still a lot of hissing and growling (from Twyla) happening so I don't think we are quite ready for face to face introductions. The issue now is that Hooper is starting to rebel against being shut in his room. It can be a struggle to get him in there and he will cry and cry. I am doing my best to ignore the crying since I know that giving in will make things worse. I had a really busy week and was gone a lot so no one got as much attention as usual, so he has been crazy with pent up energy and I have needed to say "no" and walk away from him a lot. This weekend I am trying to give him as much time to run around as I can, including unsupervised time during which I hang out with Twyla in the bedroom, so hopefully I can give him some run of the house by himself at times when I am not home.

Twyla seems to be doing okay. After a close hissy/growly interaction she will retreat about six feet into her room and just watch Hooper, and then get bored and go take a nap. She doesn't really initiate interactions. She eats well, has normal litter box habits and is very relaxed during her alone time.

I am not quite sure of how best to facilitate the face to face interactions when it is time, especially since I won't have a helper. I know that Hooper will need to expend a lot of energy prior to the introductions! Any suggestions? I know that some people put the new cat in a carrier and let the other cat sniff around, but I'm not sure about that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This weekend I am trying to give him as much time to run around as I can, including unsupervised time during which I hang out with Twyla in the bedroom, so hopefully I can give him some run of the house by himself at times when I am not home.
Good for you!!

I apologize if you've tried this already, but would either of these cats, Twyla maybe, benefit from music? You're right, Hooper sounds like he needs to wear off some serious energy...

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep a radio on for Hooper (when I remember). I also have a couple of Feliway diffusers going. I don't know that music would do much for Twyla. Honestly, she is doing pretty well, given her age and the fact that she has been an only cat for a couple of years. We just had afternoon wet food treat at the gate and she jumped off the bed and immediately started eating and growling as well as she could while eating, lol. They were about 8 inches apart. Afterwards, she walked a few feet away, turned her back and washed her face. Hooper just chirps at her and is very curious.

My schedule is more stable this week so hopefully we can establish a more regular routine and continue to make progress.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today we had the best interaction yet. They ate their treats face to face through the gate, Twyla still hissed some but growled less. She then sat about three feet away and watched Hooper, who was turning on all the charm he could muster - sweet talk, rolling over, etc. I then got out a wand toy and played with Hooper and then tried to entice Twyla to play. She wasn't really into it but was tracking it and then batted at it when Hooper walked away for a minute. The whole thing was about 10-15 minutes - the longest so far. Everything is definitely on her terms.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Big question - are we ready for interactions without the gate? Twyla still gives warning growls and hisses at times but also just sits and watches as Hooper trills at her, plays on his side of the gates, or even when he tries to climb the gate. She generally keeps a distance of about 3 feet though will sometimes get closer if treats are involved. She always ends the contact first by walking out of view, usually after about 5 to 15 minutes. Neither is being physically aggressive though Hooper gets agitated because he wants to get closer.

My plan when it is time is to make sure each has been fed and played with and then let Hooper out of his upstairs room while Twyla is downstairs in the rest of the house. All interactions to date have been with Twyla in her room and Hooper in the rest of the downstairs since she has no interest in going upstairs to check him out.

Below pictures show Twyla about 3-4 feet away from Hooper who is between the blanket and the gate. There is a wet treat in the dish but she wouldn't go to it.

Edited to add we are about at week 10 but there was no interaction for the first three weeks or so.

IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you give it a try and see? Maybe remove it but have it at the ready if necessary, something like that?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried putting my tallest baby gate (it is extra wide) between the living and dining rooms. Of course Hooper jumped it almost immediately and Twyla jumped on him, growling and hissing. They separated quickly and spent the next 45 minutes with Twyla holding a location and vocalizing if he got too close. Hooper tested his boundaries but they kept a good distance apart. Not too bad for a first try! Here's a sample moment (notice Twyla sitting on the coveted interactive toy).
IMG_0119.JPG

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The second attempt today was not as successful. Hooper's room is upstairs and Twyla was waiting at the bottom of the steps when I let him out, and she basically kept him cornered on the stairs. We tried again a little later and he made it to the entryway, but then went into my bedroom (Twyla's safe room) so of course she went after him. (It wasn't bad). He was able to run out and I shut the door between them ending the encounter for today.

I may need to use the baby gate to keep Twyla in the living room until Hooper comes downstairs as the interactions were better there, at least for now.

My big question is - should I close the bedroom door during the get to know you sessions? That is her safe space, but I don't want fights to break out under the bed or have him hide under there where I can't get him out. I don't want that to become the war zone.

Am I rushing this step? It just seems that the intros through the gates are at a standstill, she will eat at the gate but then back off a couple feet and isn't interested in playing or making closer contact.

Twyla seems to be doing ok otherwise, I can tell she is stressed after the encounters but her habits are all pretty normal. Hooper is also doing well and I am giving him as much roaming time as I can.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure how that would work? Trying to prevent Hooper running in there while they are in the rest of the house together.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I misunderstood, I'm sorry.

What you're concerned about is that if you close the door she'd lose her safe place.

I don't know, this might be up to her. How much does she utilize that room? Has she been relying on it less and less or about that same? If about the same as earlier, I wouldn't close the door yet. If gradually less, then eventually you should be able to close that door.

And since you have a nosy Hooper to deal with, this line of thinking doesn't help you at all...

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have put a piece of peg board at the top of my gap, cardboard may work too, maybe a coupe pieces put together
You can use wire ties for the bottom part put will have to get creative for the sides, you could use netting too.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Day 3 was better than day two. Twyla tends to pick a spot and hiss if Hooper gets to close. If he violates the boundary she will charge him but no fur flying or anything. I put an interactive toy between them and though neither played with it it seemed to help ease the tension. I did get them to eat a couple of treats about a foot and a half apart. After 30-40 minutes Twyla went to her safe room door and waited until I opened the door, so the encounter ended peacefully. This is similar to what she does with through the gate meetings, she just walks away.

I think we are going to work these short sessions for a while, until she is ready for lengthier encounters. At a certain point she just wants to go take a nap!

Hopefully documenting all this might help others in their introductions. I know reading other people's experiences has helped me!