Introducing Cats - Logistics Questions.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic!!

"Twyla popping out at Hooper from a cardboard box: - I LOVE this. She has accepted him!!!

"They would take short rest breaks in sight of each other" - FANTASTIC!!

" I would either observe from a distance, go around the house doing simple chores and even left the house for a couple of minutes. I only got close to intervening twice." This is wonderful. Exactly our goal.

"She still growls and hisses" - It is just communication. To let Hooper know what to be careful with. If he understands she is successfully teaching him "manners". I don't see any issues with it. It should continue to lessen over time.

"So I have a specific question: I stopped the session because it seemed Twyla was getting tired and wanted to quit (she started getting growly and was a little more aggressive - though not too bad). My question is do I let them keep going until one retreats somewhere to rest? At points it looked like Twyla was trying to do that but Hooper would always follow her." - It is totally fine to stop the session if a cat looks like they need a break and the other cat isn't "getting" it. Hooper doesn't realize she doesn't have endless energy. He just loves her. At some point we will let Twyla "tell" him but for now ending it in a positive way is the right thing to do.

"This was the most sustained activity I have ever seen from her" - Fantastic. I think she is enjoying him.

"but I can't expect her to keep up with a nine month old." - Totally agree. and I do worry about her doing too much but she will figure out what is too much. Just keep an eye on her like you did today and help her to end it for now.

"I put him in his room with a snack about twenty minutes ago and he is quiet (most likely sleeping)" - Great, making it positive.

" and she is quietly laying outside of his room looking like the cat that swallowed the canary, after patrolling the house to check for him." - Hahahahaha, you think she loves him?!?!?!?!?!?! VERY cool!!!

"I am getting cheated out of lap time and even bedtime with Twyla because she spends more time upstairs!" - Oh my. Twyla is a cat's cat. Maybe she will convince Hooper to come and cuddle together with you. :)

"They are definitely in the "obsessed with each other" phase. " - Yes they are. Just keep making positive associations and positive encounters. They are like they are at Disneyland.

"I hope that will ease up some as they spend more time together." - It will. It is hard to know when though. They are loving life.

"I also wish Twyla wouldn't go upstairs so much. She has to go fairly carefully because of her arthritis (she has one back leg that gets pretty stiff) and I worry that the frequency might aggravate it.": - I would ask the vet but Twyla will do what she wants. Hopefully Hooper spends more time downstairs in the near future. It must not be bothering her too much if she is doing it. I am guessing you will see her go up there less if it is bothering her.

REALLY great job. This is a wonderful update. Just keep up the great work and keep making those positive associations and positive encounters. You, Twyla and Hooper are doing an AMAZING job!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!!!! How GORGEOUS are they?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I like Twyla is loving life. And Hooper looks so regal!!!

Thanks for sharing. You are so fortunate to have found them and they are to have found you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another good 2 hours today, along with Twyla getting a 10 minute uninterrupted nap on a chair. The big thing was Hooper walked in on Twyla using the litter box in my closet. She continued doing her business and digging while he just sat there and watched. She was able to walk away without incident. Pretty good, right? Only stopped today because I had to leave. Would have been comfortable having it go longer. They definitely still need a little indirect supervision, though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic.

"The big thing was Hooper walked in on Twyla using the litter box in my closet. She continued doing her business and digging while he just sat there and watched. She was able to walk away without incident. Pretty good, right?" I would say this is PERFECT!!

"Only stopped today because I had to leave. Would have been comfortable having it go longer." - That is great. I am not surprised at all. You have done an amazing job.

"They definitely still need a little indirect supervision, though." - Yes, that is common. If Twyla didn't have arthritis I would say they could be together all the time now. But given she does have arthritis I would continue with increasing the time together and still monitoring (directly and indirectly). I would like to get more confirmation that Hooper is understanding when she needs a rest and to be left alone. So the more you can get Hooper to leave her alone (and trying to do it in the same territory and not having to put him in his room) the more we can tell if Hooper is there. It might take a little time but Hooper will get there. I am really impressed (and this goes to my last point) that Hooper let her finish in the litter and then let her walk by. They may be closer than I think.

REALLY GREAT job!!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About 4 hours today with a break in the middle. Had a great half hour at the end in the bedroom while I folded laundry. Twyla settled into the warm laundry pile on the bed and Hooper jumped up a couple of times and it was no big deal. He jumped into the laundry basket and was playing with the shadow of her tail. She then moved into her bed and started making biscuits. Hooper still wanted to play but I could tell Twyla was tuckered out so I shut her in the bedroom and after about 10 more minutes of play Hooper passed out with me on the couch. I am trying to alternate so it is not always Hooper who gets shut in when a session is over.

Still need to work on him knowing when she is tired and to leave her alone AND for both of them to not constantly feel the need to find the other cat in the house. I get exhausted watching them!

Amazed to watch old lady Twyla chase Hooper at one point today! Still a fair amount of wrestling and warnings being issued, but also times they walk by each other peacefully.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic!!

"Twyla settled into the warm laundry pile on the bed and Hooper jumped up a couple of times and it was no big deal. He jumped into the laundry basket and was playing with the shadow of her tail." - I am SO PROUD of Twyla and Hooper!!! And of course all the work you have put in. Not only must have been the cutest thing but it shows their trust.

"She then moved into her bed and started making biscuits." - Awwwwwww, a sign of being comfortable. AWESOME!!

"Hooper passed out with me on the couch" - Awwwww PURE LOVE KITTEN!!! You think Hooper is loving life?!?!?! :itslove:

"I am trying to alternate so it is not always Hooper who gets shut in when a session is over." - That is good. Just make sure it is a positive experience for whichever cat it is.

"Still need to work on him knowing when she is tired and to leave her alone AND for both of them to not constantly feel the need to find the other cat in the house." - Yes but it is :itslove: . He will figure it out. But they are just so excited they have each other. It is a good issue to have.

"I get exhausted watching them!" - Yep. I am really amazed at how Twyla has responded. She really has gotten a boost of youth in her step. REALLY COOL!!!

"Amazed to watch old lady Twyla chase Hooper at one point today!" - It really is. She loves playing with him. It is so heartwarming to hear.

"Still a fair amount of wrestling and warnings being issued, but also times they walk by each other peacefully." - I would have to see it but judging by how much restraint they have, how they act after and how they really love each other it seems like rougher play to me. If it was something to really worry about they would not be acting the way they are. And Twyla is still teaching him manners. Of course, we want to keep it within reason and watch for any changes but some cats just like to interact like that. I have 2 feral boys in my feral colony that are REALLY rough and they LOVE each other. It is nuanced to see if it is just rougher play or a problem so just keep updating us and watch for any changes in behavior. But I think it is just the way they are interacting. It sure sounds like they absolutely love each other.

Keep up the great work!! When you go back to work they may have a little blip since it is change but you have succeeded in a successful intro. WELL DONE!! :lolup::yess::hyper::clap2:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Four solid hours yesterday and a little more than that today (with a super short time out in the middle). I try and keep them in earshot and will go and supervise if I hear any growling or screaming (usually happens when Hooper won't back off) since that means wrestling.

I think I am pushing Twyla's limits sometimes, but she usually comes back ready for more! She constantly surprises me with how much she actively engages in play. They start out really civil, than go into play mode for a long time. Yesterday they voluntarily left each other alone for about a hour and a half then had a snack together and a little more play before we called it a day.

They played really well together today for about two hours and then Twyla started to get more annoyed and a little agitated because a thunderstorm blew in. She is scared of storms. So I stashed Hooper in his room for about fifteen minutes, which gave Twyla time to get into her hiding spot in the upstairs bathroom. I let him back out and he left her alone for over an hour until she came out. They engaged each other a bit but she was getting pretty grouchy so I gave her dinner and closed her in the bedroom once she went in there (just in time because Hooper went into full lunatic mode!). So Hooper is getting a couple hours of solo time. At one point they engaged in a wrestling match practically on my lap.

Their litter box behavior is so weird. Twyla now only wants to use the bedroom closet box (not sure if it is because she prefers the clay litter there to the grass seed type in the other boxes). She will use the box and Hooper will just sit and watch until she is done and walks away.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...At one point they engaged in a wrestling match practically on my lap.
Your two cats are so adorable.

What did you actually do, when this 'wrestling match' was taking place 'practically on your lap'?
I guess Hooper and Twyla are so relaxed, now, that they don't even bother to notice that their human is trying to relax beside them.
Or maybe they wanted you to be part of their fun. :blush:
Their litter box behavior is so weird. Twyla now only wants to use the bedroom closet box (not sure if it is because she prefers the clay litter there to the grass seed type in the other boxes). She will use the box and Hooper will just sit and watch until she is done and walks away.
:lol: :lovecat2: :blackcat:
Don't some fancy hotels or restaurants have those people who give you towels, and such, in washrooms?
More so in Europe, I think.
Hooper seems to be like those bathroom attendants.

How did Hooper get his name?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I try and keep them in earshot and will go and supervise if I hear any growling or screaming (usually happens when Hooper won't back off) since that means wrestling." - Exactly the right thing to do.

"I think I am pushing Twyla's limits sometimes, but she usually comes back ready for more! She constantly surprises me with how much she actively engages in play." - It is pretty amazing. He is giving her that extra boost.

"They start out really civil, than go into play mode for a long time." - Yep, they can;t resist the fun.

"Yesterday they voluntarily left each other alone for about a hour and a half then had a snack together and a little more play before we called it a day." - THIS is FANTASTIC!!! EXACTLY what we are looking for and want to see.

"They played really well together today for about two hours" - GREAT

"and then Twyla started to get more annoyed and a little agitated because a thunderstorm blew in. She is scared of storms. So I stashed Hooper in his room for about fifteen minutes, which gave Twyla time to get into her hiding spot in the upstairs bathroom." - Understandable. I am not worried.

"I let him back out and he left her alone for over an hour until she came out." - This is great, he is learning.

"They engaged each other a bit but she was getting pretty grouchy so I gave her dinner and closed her in the bedroom once she went in there (just in time because Hooper went into full lunatic mode!)." - That is good. Hahahahaha, Hooper. LOTS of ENERGY!!

"At one point they engaged in a wrestling match practically on my lap." - Were they doing it over your lap or did on just get restless and want to play?

"Their litter box behavior is so weird. Twyla now only wants to use the bedroom closet box (not sure if it is because she prefers the clay litter there to the grass seed type in the other boxes). She will use the box and Hooper will just sit and watch until she is done and walks away." - Yep, some cats can be fascinated. It is great he just walks away. And she doesn't seem to mind. As long as it stays positive that is fine.

Great update!! Keep doing what you are doing, they are doing great!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, shoot! I had to pull it back a little today after about 90 minutes. They were playing like maniacs and Twyla paused and had a coughing fit. Not 100% sure if it was her asthma starting to flare back up or if she is working on a hairball. Earlier she had vomited up a little undigested food with some hair in it. After the fit she really wanted to be left alone and they got into a couple of major wrestling matches before I managed to distract Hooper. I sat with her on the couch for a few minutes until she calmed down and then I managed to scoop Hooper up and put him in his room. She did follow me up the stairs to see what was going on.

Her asthma flares about every four months so this is right on schedule, and it happened during very vigorous activity. So now I am wondering if I need to start her on a course of pred or wait a day or two to see if she barfs a hairball. Also wondering if I need to shorten their sessions until I know for sure. She has also been having some watery eyes the past week and tends to snore when she sleeps so I wonder if that is related. She is about due for her semi-annual check up so maybe I should just try and get her in next week to see what the vet thinks. If I do put her back on steroids do I need to pull back on the interactions?

How did Hooper get his name?
Hooper's name and my getting Twyla both come out of a sad sequence of events. Two years ago I lost my partner (Eric) of eleven years right before Christmas. We had two cats, Abby and Lucy, and he always wanted to get a black male cat to even things out. His favorite movie was "Jaws" and so he wanted to name the cat Hooper after the character in the movie. I didn't want a third cat because Abby was semi-feral and introducing Lucy to her was very difficult. Two months after Eric died I had to have Abby put to sleep at 17 (multiple health problems) and two days after Abby was put to sleep Lucy died suddenly at home (she had CRF and HCM). Needless to say, I was heartbroken.I was not planning to get any more cats for awhile and wanted to get a bonded pair when I did. Instead, after about four months a co-worker approached me because he wanted to rehome his older cat. Well, that was Twyla. I was reluctant, but took her in and I am so glad I did. Having her made a big positive difference in my life. Flash forward a year and a half and a starving black male kitten showed up on my back patio. Of course I had to rescue him! And what else could I name him?

"At one point they engaged in a wrestling match practically on my lap." - Were they doing it over your lap or did on just get restless and want to play?
Twyla was sitting quietly next to me and Hooper jumped up on the bed. He just wanted to play and she did not!

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was ending not because of a relationship issue but a health issue. Nothing to worry about regarding their relationship. Poor Twyla.

"I sat with her on the couch for a few minutes until she calmed down and then I managed to scoop Hooper up and put him in his room." - Very good.

"She did follow me up the stairs to see what was going on."- VERY interesting. Not something a cat that has a bad relationship (fear) or lacks confidence would do. Another positive sign.

"She is about due for her semi-annual check up so maybe I should just try and get her in next week to see what the vet thinks. If I do put her back on steroids do I need to pull back on the interactions?" - I think I would move up her check up given all this. I don't think I would pull back on their together time but I would distract Hooper more so that Twyla doesn't get too worked up. I know it is hard but try your best. Hooper might surprise us and understand Twyla may not be up to all the play that she was before this flare up.

I am so sorry about your losses. I think Eric would be very proud. Loss is very hard but when we make such powerful positive differences in more lives I think we turn sadness into something more uplifting. I truly believe Eric, Abby and Lucy would be very proud of you.

Thank you so much for all you are doing!! You have saved 2 more lives.

"Twyla was sitting quietly next to me and Hooper jumped up on the bed. He just wanted to play and she did not!" - Very good. Yes, this does happen. Not an issue.

Keep up the great work and please let us know how Twyla is doing. I hope she gets over this very soon. She and Hooper are so special!!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was ending not because of a relationship issue but a health issue. Nothing to worry about regarding their relationship. Poor Twyla.

"I sat with her on the couch for a few minutes until she calmed down and then I managed to scoop Hooper up and put him in his room." - Very good.

"She did follow me up the stairs to see what was going on."- VERY interesting. Not something a cat that has a bad relationship (fear) or lacks confidence would do. Another positive sign.

"She is about due for her semi-annual check up so maybe I should just try and get her in next week to see what the vet thinks. If I do put her back on steroids do I need to pull back on the interactions?" - I think I would move up her check up given all this. I don't think I would pull back on their together time but I would distract Hooper more so that Twyla doesn't get too worked up. I know it is hard but try your best. Hooper might surprise us and understand Twyla may not be up to all the play that she was before this flare up.

I am so sorry about your losses. I think Eric would be very proud. Loss is very hard but when we make such powerful positive differences in more lives I think we turn sadness into something more uplifting. I truly believe Eric, Abby and Lucy would be very proud of you.

"Twyla was sitting quietly next to me and Hooper jumped up on the bed. He just wanted to play and she did not!" - Very good. Yes, this does happen. Not an issue.

Keep up the great work and please let us know how Twyla is doing. I hope she gets over this very soon. She and Hooper are so special!!

I was able to get Twyla's mid-year checkup scheduled for Monday. She will get her annual blood work, etc, and we can talk about the respiratory issues. I honestly don't think she would have started coughing if she hadn't been running and playing so much. Some of that overdoing I was worried about earlier!

She seems much better now. After I shut Hooper in she went to sleep under the guest bed and I let him back out. After about an hour I heard them playing quietly at the top of the stairs and I then gave them some supervised play downstairs, keeping physical contact to a minimum. She is now getting private nap time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is about due for her semi-annual check up so maybe I should just try and get her in next week to see what the vet thinks. If I do put her back on steroids do I need to pull back on the interactions?
As you're already thinking, see what your vet thinks about her physical activity/exercise and steroids :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
If I do put her back on steroids do I need to pull back on the interactions?
I was able to get Twyla's mid-year checkup scheduled for Monday. She will get her annual blood work, etc, and we can talk about the respiratory issues. I honestly don't think she would have started coughing if she hadn't been running and playing so much. Some of that overdoing I was worried about earlier!

She seems much better now. After I shut Hooper in she went to sleep under the guest bed and I let him back out. After about an hour I heard them playing quietly at the top of the stairs and I then gave them some supervised play downstairs, keeping physical contact to a minimum. She is now getting private nap time.
I've never had an asthmatic cat, so I hope that if Twyla does have to go back on the steroids that it will help ease her breathing/coughing and settle down any flare-ups. It might be a hairball like you said since she did vomit. So it's very hard to say.
Good on you for getting her an appointment checkup for Monday.

If Twyla does vomit again,...can you keep a sample, to show the vet on Monday.
Hooper's name and my getting Twyla both come out of a sad sequence of events. Two years ago I lost my partner (Eric) of eleven years right before Christmas. We had two cats, Abby and Lucy, and he always wanted to get a black male cat to even things out. His favorite movie was "Jaws" and so he wanted to name the cat Hooper after the character in the movie. I didn't want a third cat because Abby was semi-feral and introducing Lucy to her was very difficult. Two months after Eric died I had to have Abby put to sleep at 17 (multiple health problems) and two days after Abby was put to sleep Lucy died suddenly at home (she had CRF and HCM). Needless to say, I was heartbroken.I was not planning to get any more cats for awhile and wanted to get a bonded pair when I did. Instead, after about four months a co-worker approached me because he wanted to rehome his older cat. Well, that was Twyla. I was reluctant, but took her in and I am so glad I did. Having her made a big positive difference in my life. Flash forward a year and a half and a starving black male kitten showed up on my back patio. Of course I had to rescue him! And what else could I name him?

Calicosrspecial said it so meaningfully.

My condolences on your losses, as well, Twylasmom Twylasmom . I think when we lose people we love, that it is a thousand times more difficult, than when we lose our beloved animals. Yet the timing of when you lost your partner Eric, right before Christmas, would be tremendously difficult in itself, and then to have to go through losing your cats so shortly afterwards is just more sadness.

(I lost my mom to colon cancer in sept of 2018. She was elderly at 85, but didn't show any signs of the illness until it was too late.
It's been a year and four months but I still wake up and think she's still around. I'm not sure if I want that feeling to end or not.
My animals also have helped me a great deal, in that I have to get up, feed them, take care of them, play with them, and slowly begin to try and enjoy the things I used to before.)

I'm glad that Twyla came into your life, when she did, and that little kitten Hooper showed up on your back patio door.
It's true, you could nott have named him anything other than Hooper, and I think that Eric would be smiling down, with your former fur crew. It's like maybe he guided Hooper to your back patio, in some way.

Now if only Hooper can learn to understand Twyla's limitations, and health issues, then maybe things will slow down a bit.
Doubtful, since they enjoy playing so much, but never can tell.
Who knows, maybe it's Twyla who loves acting like a kitten again, and just has to learn her limits, too.
I hope both cats do well this weekend. :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I was able to get Twyla's mid-year checkup scheduled for Monday. She will get her annual blood work, etc, and we can talk about the respiratory issues." - Great.

"I honestly don't think she would have started coughing if she hadn't been running and playing so much. Some of that overdoing I was worried about earlier!" - :( It is too bad she had a reaction from it.

"She seems much better now." - I am so glad to hear this.

" After I shut Hooper in she went to sleep under the guest bed and I let him back out. After about an hour I heard them playing quietly at the top of the stairs and I then gave them some supervised play downstairs, keeping physical contact to a minimum. She is now getting private nap time." - They can't resist each other. Do you know how initiated the play at the top of the stairs? Good job on managing the play. Sounds like you did a good job and made everyone happy.

Last night my little black kitty came into bed to get love before sleep time like she always does. She and my oldest girl (who sleeps with me) got a lot of love like always. I was thinking about Hooper as I was giving her love and she was purring. Hooper needed help and found you (luckily). My black kitty was in desperate need when she came to me. She was injured, gave up on life, and let me pick her up and take her to the vet. She healed and joined the other 3 cats and 4 dogs. She loves so much and thinks I did so much for her but she doesn't realize she does so much more for me. I truly think animals help us more that we help them a lot of the time. When we open our hearts and feel true love (in each direction) it is truly special. And that love I think helps us cope with the losses we have gone through.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I pulled back the length of their interactions from four to just under two today because I wasn't sure how Twyla would do. I kept them under more close supervision and tried to divert when they were headed for a wrestling match.

Twyla acted like nothing had happened yesterday and has not had another coughing fit since the one yesterday. She was actively playing with Hooper and a wand toy at different times and took several trips upstairs, etc .They did wrestle a few times but it was obvious neither was going to give up and leave the other alone anytime soon so I ended the encounter. I didn't want her to over exert herself and bring on an attack. I'm not really happy about backing off on the length of time together but I want to talk to the vet before we go all out again.