Introducing Cats (4 months in)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I intervene when the younger one is bothering the 3yo? Or just let it play out?
Probably achieve more by playing with the kitten as much as you can, but helping the older cat get a little break now and then might help a bit. Just don't feel like its your job. No way you could possibly be there every time, and you don't need to be.

Remember, distract in a low key fashion. Don't want to accidentally add to the big cat's stress.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably achieve more by playing with the kitten as much as you can, but helping the older cat get a little break now and then might help a bit. Just don't feel like its your job. No way you could possibly be there every time, and you don't need to be.

Remember, distract in a low key fashion. Don't want to accidentally add to the big cat's stress.
Okay! I've been using a wand toy to distract when I can. The older cats been under the barstools today, not so much the bed

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I intervene when the younger one is bothering the 3yo? Or just let it play out?
Hi avni avni ...can you post some recent photos of both Norbert and Nimbus?
I'd like to see the size differences?
(From your photos from November, the kitten looks very small to be bothering the Resident cat so much.)

Personally, I would intervene...if Nimbus is being so bothered by the little one. I know it's hard to referee all the time...but if you do it in the early stages...and help establish 'house rules'...then the little one...should catch on, and understand what is allowed and what is not.

Does Norbert not listen to any of Nimbus' cues, growls, or swipes?
What are each cat's 'play styles' like?
Do each of them have favourite toys?
Favourite spots to sleep?

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi avni avni ...can you post some recent photos of both Norbert and Nimbus?
I'd like to see the size differences?
(From your photos from November, the kitten looks very small to be bothering the Resident cat so much.)

Personally, I would intervene...if Nimbus is being so bothered by the little one. I know it's hard to referee all the time...but if you do it in the early stages...and help establish 'house rules'...then the little one...should catch on, and understand what is allowed and what is not.

Does Norbert not listen to any of Nimbus' cues, growls, or swipes?
What are each cat's 'play styles' like?
Do each of them have favourite toys?
Favourite spots to sleep?
Here's a picture I got a week or two ago. He's around the same size, if not just a bit smaller than her. He does sometimes walk away after nimbus gets upset with him but sometimes he just keeps going after her and then gives up shortly after. I try to intervene using toys. They both love feather teaser wand toys. Norbert is also just a very hyper 9mo old so he's constantly running around.

Nimbus likes to nap under or on my bed or on the shoe rack. Norbert naps on both cat trees, though recently nimbus has taken to hanging out in the condos.
IMG_20210101_151425_598.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He was neutered by the shelter vet at 8wks (2months)
That's good then, because I just wondered from viewing the photo if he had been or not.

He's kind of sitting on top of Nimbus in a mounting position...but some neutered male cats will also do this.
(I think I read that it's called some sort of "super romeo" in certain neutered male cats,.. that still have a lot of testosterone...even months after being neutered. Neutering just lessens their testosterone,...not eliminates it.)

Try not to let Norbert mount Nimbus in this way. I doubt she enjoys it, and if he is trying to Dominate her, then it will also lead to more rough play fights.

Try to separate Norbert in a safe manner...by either using a blanket, sheet,...or like you are already doing...Distracting him off her...with a toy.
Clap your hands.. or say, "hey, hey, hey"...whenever you notice this type of behaviour.
You'll train him to respond to the sound of your voice, or clapping hands....to listen to your 'house rules', too.
Here's a picture I got a week or two ago. He's around the same size, if not just a bit smaller than her. He does sometimes walk away after nimbus gets upset with him but sometimes he just keeps going after her and then gives up shortly after. I try to intervene using toys. They both love feather teaser wand toys. Norbert is also just a very hyper 9mo old so he's constantly running around.

Nimbus likes to nap under or on my bed or on the shoe rack. Norbert naps on both cat trees, though recently nimbus has taken to hanging out in the condos.
I think the problem is not really the cat introduction part...anymore.

But rather the 'cat play styles are not meshing together' part. Meaning one cat likes to play very rough, and pounce, jump, and wrestle...while the other is NOT at all into that style of playing.

You did mention that you were keeping Norbert in the bathroom, for a while, during the day while out, and at work.
Does Norbert have free access to everywhere in the apt. now?
Is he able to 'expend all that young energy' with the amount of times you play with him?
Say...like minimum of 1 hour of Play per day?

Because ArtNJ is so right....you'll achieve more by 'playing with Norbert as much as you can'.

This way expending off all his 'extra energy'.

Try some 'puzzle feeders', too....to get Norbert's mind stimulated more.
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

Last edited:

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good then, because I just wondered from viewing the photo if he had been or not.

He's kind of sitting on top of Nimbus in a mounting position...but some neutered male cats will also do this.
(I think I read that it's called some sort of "super romeo" in certain neutered male cats,.. that still have a lot of testosterone...even months after being neutered. Neutering just lessens their testosterone,...not eliminates it.)

Try not to let Norbert mount Nimbus in this way. I doubt she enjoys it, and if he is trying to Dominate her, then it will also lead to more rough play fights.

Try to separate Norbert in a safe manner...by either using a blanket, sheet,...or like you are already doing...Distracting him off her...with a toy.
Clap your hands.. or say, "hey, hey, hey"...whenever you notice this type of behaviour.
You'll train him to respond to the sound of your voice, or clapping hands....to listen to your 'house rules', too.

But rather the 'cat play styles are not meshing together' part. Meaning one cat likes to play very rough, and pounce, jump, and wrestle...while the other is NOT at all into that style of playing.

You did mention that you were keeping Norbert in the bathroom, for a while, during the day while out, and at work.
Is he able to 'expend all that young energy' with the amount of times you play with him?

Because ArtNJ is so right....you'll achieve more by 'playing with Norbert as much as you can'.

Exactly what I thought when I saw it too! He does this and then bites her but she gets away fast enough before I can do anything. But I'll definitely try to distract him with a toy to prevent further chasing (when I can. I work full time and I'm a student so it's a balancing act )

Thanks!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

yes! he has free roam now! i play with him when i get home from work and while im in my online classes. Nimbus will sometimes observe and I'll switch playing with the same toy between them while the other observes. Today, Nimbus let out a yowl-type of noise and norbert because he wouldn't leave her alone. I put him in the bathroom to give nimbus time to relax but she just went over to the door and played with his paws? but growled at them towards the end haha

I've tried puzzle feeders but i'll look into others! I definitely think it's a play style thing and that nimbus is just annoyed with the constant unwanted approaches

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, Nimbus let out a yowl-type of noise and norbert because he wouldn't leave her alone. I put him in the bathroom to give nimbus time to relax but she just went over to the door and played with his paws? but growled at them towards the end haha
It sounds like you are doing quite well...with keeping up the Playing with Norbert to wear off most of his young kitten energy.
Playing with them both sounds excellent

Also excellent that you put Norbert into a small 'time-out'...to give Nimbus a break.
He will learn from these small time outs.

It does not sound like Nimbus was too bothered by him...since she went over to play with his paws. lol
She might just be more of a vocal cat...but that's perfect with early cat intros...and 'getting to learn what each cat likes and does not like'.

With Nimbus teaching him...and even if she growls or hisses...as long as you train Norbert to listen to your Voice...or 'clap your hands'...to Distract...say, "hey, hey, hey"...then you might find that he will pay attention to you more. Norbert will know that you'll stand up for Nimbus...and intervene...thereby building up Nimbus' Confidence.
I've tried puzzle feeders but i'll look into others! I definitely think it's a play style thing and that nimbus is just annoyed with the constant unwanted approaches
yeah, I'd agree.
Norbert has to learn to not annoy Nimbus so much...so really the only way to do that is to Distract and get him to Play with other 'interactive toys'...and get his mind stimulated on something else...so he does not always focus on her.

There are some other good toys...that might help:
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
cat toys – TheCatSite Articles

As well as check out the reviews and cat toys on amazon:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Cat Toys
18 cat toys with thousands of positive reviews

If you check out some Youtube videos...they also have some diy cat toys...which will give you more ideas.

Another idea...would be to do some "clicker training" with Norbert...and Nimbus, too.
It does not have to be elaborate or detailed...Just some small sessions at first...to see how they would respond.
There are a lot of online sites and online videos on 'clicker training your cat'.

(I personally, have never tried, but one of the member's online last year, told me how she does it...and how it's done in small steps...extremely small steps...and she was able to get her cat to sit...and reach for things. It was kind of awesome hearing about it.
And it really exercised her cat's mind.)

I know you said you work full time and are a student...so it's hard to find the time...to do everything...so just take it day by day.
Find what works for you, Norbert and Nimbus,...and stick with it...through repetition.
Repetition will always get results...even if it's like doing something for 10 times...and the cat only listens twice..then at least it's a start.

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing quite well...with keeping up the Playing with Norbert to wear off most of his young kitten energy.
Playing with them both sounds excellent

Also excellent that you put Norbert into a small 'time-out'...to give Nimbus a break.
He will learn from these small time outs.

It does not sound like Nimbus was too bothered by him...since she went over to play with his paws. lol
She might just be more of a vocal cat...but that's perfect with early cat intros...and 'getting to learn what each cat likes and does not like'.

With Nimbus teaching him...and even if she growls or hisses...as long as you train Norbert to listen to your Voice...or 'clap your hands'...to Distract...say, "hey, hey, hey"...then you might find that he will pay attention to you more. Norbert will know that you'll stand up for Nimbus...and intervene...thereby building up Nimbus' Confidence.

yeah, I'd agree.
Norbert has to learn to not annoy Nimbus so much...so really the only way to do that is to Distract and get him to Play with other 'interactive toys'...and get his mind stimulated on something else...so he does not always focus on her.

There are some other good toys...that might help:
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
cat toys – TheCatSite Articles

As well as check out the reviews and cat toys on amazon:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Cat Toys
18 cat toys with thousands of positive reviews

If you check out some Youtube videos...they also have some diy cat toys...which will give you more ideas.

Another idea...would be to do some "clicker training" with Norbert...and Nimbus, too.
It does not have to be elaborate or detailed...Just some small sessions at first...to see how they would respond.
There are a lot of online sites and online videos on 'clicker training your cat'.

(I personally, have never tried, but one of the member's online last year, told me how she does it...and how it's done in small steps...extremely small steps...and she was able to get her cat to sit...and reach for things. It was kind of awesome hearing about it.
And it really exercised her cat's mind.)

I know you said you work full time and are a student...so it's hard to find the time...to do everything...so just take it day by day.
Find what works for you, Norbert and Nimbus,...and stick with it...through repetition.
Repetition will always get results...even if it's like doing something for 10 times...and the cat only listens twice..then at least it's a start.
Thank you so much for this advice! Norbert's been a real terror today but Nimbus isn't hiding so maybe her confidence is going up but she's been very vocal about him being close. I did find a scab between her shoulders (She's a longhair so it's hard to notice these things when they happen). She's white so blood would be easily spotted, there was none. I'm wondering if Norbert bit her too hard at time point.

I've tried clicker training with Norbert! He can sit on command now!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this advice! Norbert's been a real terror today but Nimbus isn't hiding so maybe her confidence is going up but she's been very vocal about him being close. I did find a scab between her shoulders (She's a longhair so it's hard to notice these things when they happen). She's white so blood would be easily spotted, there was none. I'm wondering if Norbert bit her too hard at time point.
As long as when Nimbus is being very vocal...that Norbert respects that...and somewhat freezes...stops...and backs off.

It does sound like Norbert bit her too hard, on the back of the neck.
Just try to make sure...he does not try and mount her...and bite to hold her by the neck...if he does. Take a towel, and place it over him if you see this...then another 'time-out'.

Nimbus might want to 'slap him silly'...so if you do see her swipe him...or swat him across the face, back, or head...don't be too surprised. She'll do it to him...he will get the message...and hopefully learn to play as she wants.
I've tried clicker training with Norbert! He can sit on command now!
What?? No way. :spew:
You must be joking.:blush:
Is Norbert...some sort of genius cat or something?:cool2: :lovecat2: :blackcat:
How could you train him so fast? :dunno:
What website did you use?

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he's been going into time outs when he bothers her by trying to mount or chase.

i used this technique! He learned very fast

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much avni avni . :hellocomputer:
That was fantastic to watch. :thumbsup:

(I kind of think Jones, her cat,...is a professionally trained cat...and so smart.
Did you see at the 1:48 mark....how he tries to pull the green treat bowl...his way...while she is talking to the camera. :crackup:
She didn't say how long it took her to train him....but he is amazing.
The ending blew my mind away...at 3:10 mark. WOW. :eek2: :jawdrop: :lol:)

I hope your training with Norbert goes just as well, too. :blackcat:
Awesome. :cool2:

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much avni avni . :hellocomputer:
That was fantastic to watch. :thumbsup:

(I kind of think Jones, her cat,...is a professionally trained cat...and so smart.
Did you see at the 1:48 mark....how he tries to pull the green treat bowl...his way...while she is talking to the camera. :crackup:
She didn't say how long it took her to train him....but he is amazing.
The ending blew my mind away...at 3:10 mark. WOW. :eek2: :jawdrop: :lol:)

I hope your training with Norbert goes just as well, too. :blackcat:
Awesome. :cool2:
Norbert is very treat motivated haha i would definitely not get results if i tried with Nimbus!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Progress is not linear haha they sat like this for a while but since then much hissing/growling from the big girl. When she's playful she'll go after him but get mad if he tried to play back smh

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Progress is not linear haha they sat like this for a while but since then much hissing/growling from the big girl. When she's playful she'll go after him but get mad if he tried to play back smh
Pretty amazing that they could sit that close to each other. :thumbsup:
And that Nimbus is actually able to sleep while Norbert is so near. :loveeyes:

But yes, you're right, ...cat intros are never linear. :stars:
What you might be seeing is Nimbus' way of actually playing...the "I'm allowed to chase you...but you can't chase me back....method"...which many, many cats...enjoy.

It sounds like she's still teaching him the 'rules of the cat games'...which of course, she makes up, too. :lol:
She's the resident cat, older and female, ...so he does have to learn to respect her rules.
You'll get there, Avni, ...it just takes more time.