Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we’re three days into the new dose and I see no drop off in appetite. 🐷👍 It’s probably too soon to see any other changes yet. It will take her at least a week to build up a hairball if she’s not going to pass them. As predicted, quartering the pred resulted in losing half the pills. So no cost savings going from half to quarter. But funny enough, it took less time to make up her preds because I don’t have to stuff that pred half down with the tamper before sealing up the capsule. But look at all that wasted pred up in the top right corner. 🤦🏼‍♂️
5D02AA58-0665-4652-9B02-F2A43A390048.jpeg
Come to think of it. I am seeing a little more self-play with her toys since the reduction. Some of it may also be the Cosequin. Which brings me to an interesting worry I now have. What if the pred was helping her arthritis? In any case, I don’t want her on pred for that because it was causing her to gain weight. Which is not good for her arthritis. Whether it’s the Cosequin or the pred reduction or both, more play is better for her arthritis. 😺👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we’re three days into the new dose and I see no drop off in appetite. 🐷👍 It’s probably too soon to see any other changes yet. It will take her at least a week to build up a hairball if she’s not going to pass them. As predicted, quartering the pred resulted in losing half the pills. So no cost savings going from half to quarter. But funny enough, it took less time to make up her preds because I don’t have to stuff that pred half down with the tamper before sealing up the capsule. But look at all that wasted pred up in the top right corner. 🤦🏼‍♂️
View attachment 451353
Come to think of it. I am seeing a little more self-play with her toys since the reduction. Some of it may also be the Cosequin. Which brings me to an interesting worry I now have. What if the pred was helping her arthritis? In any case, I don’t want her on pred for that because it was causing her to gain weight. Which is not good for her arthritis. Whether it’s the Cosequin or the pred reduction or both, more play is better for her arthritis. 😺👍
ABSOLUTELY. More play is better all the way around *for a little less "round" :lol:*
Can you take the machine apart and get that part? You could almost certainly get close enough measurement if you could access it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ABSOLUTELY. More play is better all the way around *for a little less "round" :lol:*
Can you take the machine apart and get that part? You could almost certainly get close enough measurement if you could access it.
I'm not disabling any safety features on this machine. I've essentially been cutting her pills with a razor for almost a year now and those safety features have allowed me to keep all my fingers. Pred is cheap. I'm not worried that I'm wasting half a pill. The trouble is that the pills are thick and only scored in one direction. Cutting them in that direction doesn't powder the pill. But cutting them in the other direction results in one side turning into fragments and crumbs. I don't know that I would trust packing those fragments and crumbs into a capsule and calling it a dose. The ondansetron is a smaller pill that is cranky to half but does alright with a quartering. I've been trying for months to figure out how to get even halves and I think it just squirms at the last minute. But I feel a lot less trepidation monkeying around with her ondansetron dose. I'm not even sure she still needs this drug. But it's low impact. Better to keep giving it and worry about it after we finish the pred weaning (however far we're able to go with that.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not disabling any safety features on this machine. I've essentially been cutting her pills with a razor for almost a year now and those safety features have allowed me to keep all my fingers. Pred is cheap. I'm not worried that I'm wasting half a pill. The trouble is that the pills are thick and only scored in one direction. Cutting them in that direction doesn't powder the pill. But cutting them in the other direction results in one side turning into fragments and crumbs. I don't know that I would trust packing those fragments and crumbs into a capsule and calling it a dose. The ondansetron is a smaller pill that is cranky to half but does alright with a quartering. I've been trying for months to figure out how to get even halves and I think it just squirms at the last minute. But I feel a lot less trepidation monkeying around with her ondansetron dose. I'm not even sure she still needs this drug. But it's low impact. Better to keep giving it and worry about it after we finish the pred weaning (however far we're able to go with that.)
Yeah, they do squirm. And understood. Thought it might be easy to take apart and reattach, because one would think it might need a cleaning once in awhile, especially if people use it for more than one kind of pill. The other thing would be to get those pill-splitters people use for their own drugs, the small, simple kind. IDK if they'd work for you. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ623WM/?tag=thecatsite although this looks a lot like yours. It says it can quarter them. Can it? *Inquiring minds want to know.*:think:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they do squirm. And understood. Thought it might be easy to take apart and reattach, because one would think it might need a cleaning once in awhile, especially if people use it for more than one kind of pill. The other thing would be to get those pill-splitters people use for their own drugs, the small, simple kind. IDK if they'd work for you. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ623WM/?tag=thecatsite although this looks a lot like yours. It says it can quarter them. Can it? *Inquiring minds want to know.*:think:
That one is lacking the adjustable backstop that mine has. This isn't the only pill cutter I have. This is simply the tallest dwarf. 😹 They are all a little deficient.😞 But this one works the best out of all of them because of the adjustable backstop. 😎👍 It limits the squirm. But if the pill wants to powder, there's nothing the blade can do to prevent that. Ondansetron quarters well because it's a flatter pill that holds its own. It's got good bones. 😹👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well. It’s not a hairball. And it’s just a single pile. But we had another regurg. I’m not ready to blame the pred weaning just yet. Especially since she had the occasional regurg at every dose. When it was a hairball, it was multiple piles. Plus the hairball itself. I think sometimes she just eats too fast. She’s apparently no worse for the wear having nearly finished dinner and rolled over requesting belly rubs. With many cats it’s a trap. But this one enjoys chin and chest, booty and belly. The only bad touch with Betty is the one that ends too soon.
image.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well. It’s not a hairball. And it’s just a single pile. But we had another regurg. I’m not ready to blame the pred weaning just yet. Especially since she had the occasional regurg at every dose. When it was a hairball, it was multiple piles. Plus the hairball itself. I think sometimes she just eats too fast. She’s apparently no worse for the wear having nearly finished dinner and rolled over requesting belly rubs. With many cats it’s a trap. But this one enjoys chin and chest, booty and belly. The only bad touch with Betty is the one that ends too soon.
View attachment 451375
:flail:Betty is SO sweet! Elvis may be somewhat like her in that sometimes he'll whap me when I'm stroking him. Is it because I've stopped too soon? or because I'm doing it too much and he's tired of it? I wish I could understand his motive. :petcat:He was just here in the office and sounded like he was gonna puke. But nothing came out. *false alarm*

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 451353
When I quarter Geoffrey's Zofran, I use a pill cutter to half it, then I hold that half in a craft long handle curved tweezers. I cut that with a claw scissor. There is less waste that way. The Zofran tablet is oval and tiny. I tried cutting it both lengthwise and width. I think the lengthwise is easier to hold onto with the craft needle nosed tweezers.

Wonder if this technique would work for you?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I quarter Geoffrey's Zofran, I use a pill cutter to half it, then I hold that half in a craft long handle curved tweezers. I cut that with a claw scissor. There is less waste that way. The Zofran tablet is oval and tiny. I tried cutting it both lengthwise and width. I think the lengthwise is easier to hold onto with the craft needle nosed tweezers.

Wonder if this technique would work for you?
I’m not worried about the Zofran. I cut it long way first and then put the halves back together and cut the short way. The quarters aren’t even because that first cut is almost always off no matter how I try to line it up. But I’m also not convinced she needs this drug anymore. I keep giving it because it’s easy and low impact. It’s the pred that I have trouble quartering. And I don’t think it would hold up in your technique. I think the pill is just too thick, too thin, and doesn’t have good bones. Too thick in that it’s like several ondansetron’s stacked. Too thin because although there is height, it’s lacking in width. And it lacks good bones because it tends to powder and splinter more than a clean cut like the Zofran. Pred is cheap. I’ll just keep tossing the weaker halves.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11.12. Same as last week. 😔 She was a lot harder to convince this morning than most weeks. You’d swear those treats were poison and the scale was spiked. She just didn’t want to come down from the bed. And when she finally came over, she kept a healthy distance from the scale. She eventually was tempted by a stinky tripe treat or two. But she left one Cosequin behind. I offered it and a fresh one (in case that one was no good) and she said she was fine with one this morning. We are at the bottom of the bag. Maybe a fresh bag and a new day will change her mind.
213B3F24-678D-4F1F-8F80-1DD7B604B8D4.jpeg 3A2379A7-CFC6-4873-B260-B0D7E587EDC3.jpeg 67A08596-A42B-4E3F-B535-EE1718691562.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11.12. Same as last week. 😔 She was a lot harder to convince this morning than most weeks. You’d swear those treats were poison and the scale was spiked. She just didn’t want to come down from the bed. And when she finally came over, she kept a healthy distance from the scale. She eventually was tempted by a stinky tripe treat or two. But she left one Cosequin behind. I offered it and a fresh one (in case that one was no good) and she said she was fine with one this morning. We are at the bottom of the bag. Maybe a fresh bag and a new day will change her mind.
View attachment 451537View attachment 451538View attachment 451539
Hoping that'll be the answer.*A lady ALWAYS has the right to change her mind.* *And a comfy bed on a Sunday morning is VERY hard to leave.*:hearthrob::zzzcat::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New bag of Cosequin and she only ate one of the two piece serving. I also picked up a bag of Dasuquin too just in case. She reluctantly ate one of those. I don’t know how long those have been on the shelf. But I remember that Dasuquin bag from the last visit. It was the only one. Who knows how long it has been sitting there waiting for a home? 🤦🏼‍♂️ We got one of each into her this morning. Let’s see which one she’ll go for tomorrow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New bag of Cosequin and she only ate one of the two piece serving. I also picked up a bag of Dasuquin too just in case. She reluctantly ate one of those. I don’t know how long those have been on the shelf. But I remember that Dasuquin bag from the last visit. It was the only one. Who knows how long it has been sitting there waiting for a home? 🤦🏼‍♂️ We got one of each into her this morning. Let’s see which one she’ll go for tomorrow.
Isn't there a sell-by or use-by date on the package? Or an expiration date, or something? Wishing you success. On both. :hearthrob: :kneading::hearthrob::yess:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dasuquin has an expiration date of 10/2024. Ultimately shes the final arbiter. Today she took her two. In bed. And we spooned while waiting for breakfast to cook. 😽🥰👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is still meh on the new chews. She ate this morning's pair. But it took a lot of convincing.

On another note, can the Post Office please stop screwing up?!?!? :mad:

Betty's poobiotics and her newest test were scanned delivered but nowhere to be found. There are 23 other mailboxes in this mailbox stand. It's likely sitting in one of those other boxes. I opened a help case with the post office and they're usually pretty good about this if I do it the same day. But c'mon. This happens far too often! This is probably my third or fourth such request this year. Betty is on an off-day. But if these don't turn up by the end of the day, she's going to have to skip another day. I had waited until I got my paycheck on Friday to place the order with just enough capsules left to get through yesterday. It should have arrived today with enough time to give her tomorrow's dose without missing a beat. It still might.

On top of that, the property managers put up signs on Friday that we would have to move our cars for two days. Last time they booted us to street parking, I had a $4000 sideswipe hit and run. I decided to park at the airport instead. Crazy that I fly all the time and never worry about my car in airport parking. But it's been a heavy concern these past couple of days. Would they figure out I wasn't flying and tow it? Did it get damaged or broken into anyway? Hopefully the asphalt guys are on track to open up the parking this afternoon so I can pick up the car after work.

Looking forward to picking up a burger and a beer on the way home tonight, and collecting Betty's latest sample. I will hopefully have a test to put it into, and her poobiotics to give her tomorrow.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is still meh on the new chews. She ate this morning's pair. But it took a lot of convincing.

On another note, can the Post Office please stop screwing up?!?!? :mad:

Betty's poobiotics and her newest test were scanned delivered but nowhere to be found. There are 23 other mailboxes in this mailbox stand. It's likely sitting in one of those other boxes. I opened a help case with the post office and they're usually pretty good about this if I do it the same day. But c'mon. This happens far too often! This is probably my third or fourth such request this year. Betty is on an off-day. But if these don't turn up by the end of the day, she's going to have to skip another day. I had waited until I got my paycheck on Friday to place the order with just enough capsules left to get through yesterday. It should have arrived today with enough time to give her tomorrow's dose without missing a beat. It still might.

On top of that, the property managers put up signs on Friday that we would have to move our cars for two days. Last time they booted us to street parking, I had a $4000 sideswipe hit and run. I decided to park at the airport instead. Crazy that I fly all the time and never worry about my car in airport parking. But it's been a heavy concern these past couple of days. Would they figure out I wasn't flying and tow it? Did it get damaged or broken into anyway? Hopefully the asphalt guys are on track to open up the parking this afternoon so I can pick up the car after work.

Looking forward to picking up a burger and a beer on the way home tonight, and collecting Betty's latest sample. I will hopefully have a test to put it into, and her poobiotics to give her tomorrow.
*PRAYERS* and positive thoughts on Betty's needs being met, TODAY, and for your car to remain SAFE *with no charges!*

Hey, you know, things are getting crazier and more dysfunctional across all levels by the day. I'm not good with chaos and anarchy, but it's the law of the land here and now, so I'm really trying to adapt *because we know the alternative and it ain't good!* I've just been through a hassle with trying to pay my contractors for doing some really good and necessary work for me. My financial institution, which I've been with most of my life, has always been good about just about everything, but their new policy, which isn't "new" according to them but which I've never had to deal with, isn't, so much.
Another day, another crisis (times several). :please::paranoid::gaah::rolleyes::sigh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That spooning thing is great. I’ve finally managed to train myself to sleep on my back: now every morning I wake up w a cat on my stomach. Usually my stomach is purring, too.
When Betty and I were first getting to know each other last year, she would come into the office and just start crying at me for fuss. We would have "afternoon spoon" where I would take a break and she'd snuggle up close as she could on the daybed with me for 10 or 15 minutes. We don't really have afternoon spoon on the daybed anymore. But I'm probably on the floor for her at least a few times a day for her to sit in my arms lap for as long as I can remain propped up like "doing my online rounds" through TCS, Instagram, eBay, email, and a few other popular apps until I need to get back to work. She's actually sitting at my feet right now wondering if I'll do that for her.

June gloom hit hard this week. It was even raining yesterday. Betty has been burrowing hard in the mornings and doesn't wake for lunch until 2pm. But she still makes it through her lunch. But it's been another dark and colder day and I could go for another cup of coffee. Yes, even at 2 pm. Since I've been working from home, my coffee intake has actually gone down from several cups a day to usually no more than two. So Betty, we'll snuggle while the coffee is brewing.

And yeah, I'm a side sleeper. I spend the first 30 minutes or so in bed on my back with Betty draped over a shoulder and face pressed into mine or resting on my chest. When I can no longer lay on my back and because she has one arm pinned down, I simply press her body into mine with the other arm and then do a rollover dropping her off on the other side of me. She's a good sport about the maneuver. But it's the best we've come up with.

Betty is a snuggler. She'll spoon and snuggle at the drop of a hat. And because face rubs are her love language, I'll often lay down right next to her and, ("Incoming!") take a cat nose to the face from her. 😽 🥰

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Betty and I were first getting to know each other last year, she would come into the office and just start crying at me for fuss. We would have "afternoon spoon" where I would take a break and she'd snuggle up close as she could on the daybed with me for 10 or 15 minutes. We don't really have afternoon spoon on the daybed anymore. But I'm probably on the floor for her at least a few times a day for her to sit in my arms lap for as long as I can remain propped up like "doing my online rounds" through TCS, Instagram, eBay, email, and a few other popular apps until I need to get back to work. She's actually sitting at my feet right now wondering if I'll do that for her.

June gloom hit hard this week. It was even raining yesterday. Betty has been burrowing hard in the mornings and doesn't wake for lunch until 2pm. But she still makes it through her lunch. But it's been another dark and colder day and I could go for another cup of coffee. Yes, even at 2 pm. Since I've been working from home, my coffee intake has actually gone down from several cups a day to usually no more than two. So Betty, we'll snuggle while the coffee is brewing.

And yeah, I'm a side sleeper. I spend the first 30 minutes or so in bed on my back with Betty draped over a shoulder and face pressed into mine or resting on my chest. When I can no longer lay on my back and because she has one arm pinned down, I simply press her body into mine with the other arm and then do a rollover dropping her off on the other side of me. She's a good sport about the maneuver. But it's the best we've come up with.

Betty is a snuggler. She'll spoon and snuggle at the drop of a hat. And because face rubs are her love language, I'll often lay down right next to her and, ("Incoming!") take a cat nose to the face from her. 😽 🥰
That kind of "incoming!" is the BEST! :cloud9:
"Afternoon spoon" sounds blissful, too!
I'm a 2-mug-a-day coffee person. If you're out and about, it's a lot more tempting to get a coffee. Or two. Or more. Especially in places I've lived, which offer much better alternatives to that place we all know *and I don't care for.* I'm not a coffee snob -- I just don't like what they have to offer.