Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has the koosh ball wand toy. I’m not looking for a replacement. Though I probably should because that will be inevitable. I was simply withholding it from her this whole time after I learned of her proclivity toward inappropriate ingestion. But now she gets it back because I know she’s doing much better than her carpet eating days—and it is clearly her favorite toy. Betty tested the rest and loves this one the best. And maybe a little more play means a little more frosting for her without the consequences. 😽👍

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has the koosh ball wand toy. I’m not looking for a replacement. Though I probably should because that will be inevitable. I was simply withholding it from her this whole time after I learned of her proclivity toward inappropriate ingestion. But now she gets it back because I know she’s doing much better than her carpet eating days—and it is clearly her favorite toy, Betty tested the test and loves this one the best. And maybe a little more play means a little more frosting for her without the consequences. 😽👍
Yeah! Sounds good! :hearthrob: :lovecat4: :hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a “this diet is 🐄💩” act of defiance, Betty finished overnight in one go shortly after I plated it at 9 pm tonight. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I sure hope she sleeps well tonight. It’s going to be a long stretch to 5 am. (4:30 probably…I often jump the gun for her so I can get back into bed quicker.)

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75
I wanted to let you know that I have been getting Rawz cans of pate and the shreds at Amazon.

Don't know if the prices compare..... to think I used to whine about wet food cases in the mid $30's 🙄. Now, I get excited if I see a case of 24, 3 oz or 5 oz under $50 !
Betty White is looking great ! 🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you know it, Docs Mom Docs Mom about the prices!!! Elvis' food costs more than mine. Of course, my cats have always had the best I could afford and they always will. But seriously?!!
Ah, daftcat75 daftcat75 so there's an ulterior motive to your generosity :insertevillaugh: *We don't have to tell Betty.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75
I wanted to let you know that I have been getting Rawz cans of pate and the shreds at Amazon.

Don't know if the prices compare..... to think I used to whine about wet food cases in the mid $30's 🙄. Now, I get excited if I see a case of 24, 3 oz or 5 oz under $50 !
Betty White is looking great ! 🙂
Pates are only supposed to be sold locally through independent stores and through a select number of authorized resellers (also indies.) I've been told that if it's a pate being sold on Amazon, it's been bootlegged from authorized resellers. However, the prices match up with what I have been paying from authorized resellers. Perhaps these are indie pet stores who also operate Amazon marketplaces? 🤷‍♂️ One thing that is both tantalizing and alarming is Rawz rabbit in the three ounce cans. I see these on Amazon. But I've been told that Rawz doesn't produce that size anymore. These would be great for Betty who doesn't have a 5.5 oz can appetite. But after our last tour with Rawz, I'd hate for her to enjoy them and then learn I can't get them anymore once this seller has sold their stock. Differences in batches between prior years and current batches makes me want to hold off on Rawz. In any case, I'd rather wait until it's a necessity. Because there's basically nowhere else to go when we get to Rawz. And if she doesn't like that... I may try Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers with her which is similar to her I/D chicken in gravy. Or Tiki Cat After Dark. For a "cake frosting" alternative, I may give Mouser another chance.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pates are only supposed to be sold locally through independent stores and through a select number of authorized resellers (also indies.) I've been told that if it's a pate being sold on Amazon, it's been bootlegged from authorized resellers. However, the prices match up with what I have been paying from authorized resellers. Perhaps these are indie pet stores who also operate Amazon marketplaces? 🤷‍♂️ One thing that is both tantalizing and alarming is Rawz rabbit in the three ounce cans. I see these on Amazon. But I've been told that Rawz doesn't produce that size anymore. These would be great for Betty who doesn't have a 5.5 oz can appetite. But after our last tour with Rawz, I'd hate for her to enjoy them and then learn I can't get them anymore once this seller has sold their stock. Differences in batches between prior years and current batches makes me want to hold off on Rawz. In any case, I'd rather wait until it's a necessity. Because there's basically nowhere else to go when we get to Rawz. And if she doesn't like that... I may try Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers with her which is similar to her I/D chicken in gravy. Or Tiki Cat After Dark. For a "cake frosting" alternative, I may give Mouser another chance.
I'd be very wary of those 3 ounce cans, then. Even if they are legit, what's the expiration date? Maybe things will change re: production.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be very wary of those 3 ounce cans, then. Even if they are legit, what's the expiration date? Maybe things will change re: production.
I won't buy Betty food that I will not be able to find again. That's why we stopped Rawz the last time. She got hooked on Krista's old stash but wouldn't touch the new cans.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wise decision. *It's so weird and disturbing that it varies so much.* *Expensive, too.*:sigh:
Small batch.

But even Betty's I/D has batch differences. Not huge differences. But clearly she loves this new case more than the last. At least for now. It may simply be the new case appeal. Perhaps in a few days when we're getting down to the bottom of the case, she may be as sluggish on the uptake as she was at the bottom of last case. To be honest, foods that don't have batch differences kind of scare me too. How do they render natural differences into the same homogenized mass every time?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small batch.

But even Betty's I/D has batch differences. Not huge differences. But clearly she loves this new case more than the last. At least for now. It may simply be the new case appeal. Perhaps in a few days when we're getting down to the bottom of the case, she may be as sluggish on the uptake as she was at the bottom of last case. To be honest, foods that don't have batch differences kind of scare me too. How do they render natural differences into the same homogenized mass every time?
Exactly. It's entirely possible that one cow tastes different from another, or one chicken from another, etc. depending on many factors. But when things vary THAT much, it disturbs me.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for mentioning that about Amazon. I will never order catfood from them again…usually use Chewy anyway. I did try once and the results seemed dubious, like they had split a can between 2 other cans, and had watered it down, but, I couldn’t prove it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for mentioning that about Amazon. I will never order catfood from them again…usually use Chewy anyway. I did try once and the results seemed dubious, like they had split a can between 2 other cans, and had watered it down, but, I couldn’t prove it.
I avoid that platform, period. I don't like the owner, and I don't like big business. There are plenty of other places to go IMHO. I do have to use it occasionally, like once every few years. But I don't even like to do that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went running for the first time in many months. Six months maybe? I injured my ankles in August (overuse?) and took a break until a race in October where they started bothering me again at the end of the race. What I didn't understand all this time is that most of that pain is scar tissue. And that just staying away from running doesn't heal them. I need to be doing the cross-fiber friction massage to break up the scar tissue and the rehab exercises to keep the ankles mobile. And finally, I'm supposed to keep exercising because there is a use-it-or-lose-it cost to fitness. And boy did I feel that out there. I don't think I made it more than a mile or a mile and 1/4 before the "can't"s in my head enforced a hard stop. Also, if I overdid it today, I wouldn't be able to get back out there on Wednesday. And between now and then, I'll be doing that cross-fiber friction massage and the ankle mobility exercises. And since I collect my weight in my gut and pretty much nowhere else, I'm glad it wasn't until the end of the run that I caught a glimpse of my baby bump. 🤦‍♂️ I know running is one of the worst ways to lose weight. That's not why I do it. But knowing how much harder it is to do my runs wearing a gut fat fanny pack, running is good motivation to take care of the diet aspect. As the good habits start collecting, I may even take up the pushups, squats, and dumbbells again. Running is the tip of the spear, not the whole effort, to deflate this front-facing hunchback. 🐪 I'm like an inverted camel. 😹 But more than that, running is like traveling yoga for me. It's where I get to step out of the usual stream of worries and concerns and focus on body, breath, and mindfulness. Speaking of breath, you know when you haven't turned the heater on in half a year and it has to blow out all the accumulated dust and junk? Yeah, that's what my lungs feel like right now.

In other news, Betty loves this new case. She slept through the changing of the plates, my leaving and coming back; and my shower and my protein shake. She finally woke and finished lunch in one go. There may be a few crumbs to lick later. But if she left that as a "remainder", I would call it done. She did much the same at breakfast too. 🐷👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went running for the first time in many months. Six months maybe? I injured my ankles in August (overuse?) and took a break until a race in October where they started bothering me again at the end of the race. What I didn't understand all this time is that most of that pain is scar tissue. And that just staying away from running doesn't heal them. I need to be doing the cross-fiber friction massage to break up the scar tissue and the rehab exercises to keep the ankles mobile. And finally, I'm supposed to keep exercising because there is a use-it-or-lose-it cost to fitness. And boy did I feel that out there. I don't think I made it more than a mile or a mile and 1/4 before the "can't"s in my head enforced a hard stop. Also, if I overdid it today, I wouldn't be able to get back out there on Wednesday. And between now and then, I'll be doing that cross-fiber friction massage and the ankle mobility exercises. And since I collect my weight in my gut and pretty much nowhere else, I'm glad it wasn't until the end of the run that I caught a glimpse of my baby bump. 🤦‍♂️ I know running is one of the worst ways to lose weight. That's not why I do it. But knowing how much harder it is to do my runs wearing a gut fat fanny pack, running is good motivation to take care of the diet aspect. As the good habits start collecting, I may even take up the pushups, squats, and dumbbells again. Running is the tip of the spear, not the whole effort, to deflate this front-facing hunchback. 🐪 I'm like an inverted camel. 😹 But more than that, running is like traveling yoga for me. It's where I get to step out of the usual stream of worries and concerns and focus on body, breath, and mindfulness. Speaking of breath, you know when you haven't turned the heater on in half a year and it has to blow out all the accumulated dust and junk? Yeah, that's what my lungs feel like right now.

In other news, Betty loves this new case. She slept through the changing of the plates, my leaving and coming back; and my shower and my protein shake. She finally woke and finished lunch in one go. There may be a few crumbs to lick later. But if she left that as a "remainder", I would call it done. She did much the same at breakfast too. 🐷👍
GOOD Betty UPdate!:hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob::cheerleader::goldstar:
Good on you, too, for starting running again, but you know not to overdo it right away. Working out sounds GREAT. *There's still a nice weight bench. In case.*
And at least you liken your physique to a 🐪rather than a🐫. Or a 🦛🐖 or someone else equally girthy. :insertevillaugh:Seriously, I empathize. With this big bag of Japanese snacks staring me in the face, I tried to put them in various places and now I will try to go easy on them. *HAH. WHO am I kidding.*:ohwell:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Runner's rhinitis got me! 🤧 I stopped running after a mile and a half. My nose kept running for two days. 🤦‍♂️ The weather hasn't encouraged a repeat run either.

I think these dark, wet days are upsetting to Betty. She seems to have no trouble sleeping on a sunny day. But when it's dark like this most of the day, she seems restless and agitated and sometimes vocal. "It's not dawn or dusk, so why am I still on the clock?" 😾

I'm upset by these dark days too. My laundry closet is out on my not-protected-from-the-weather deck. Whose dumb idea was it not to seal the upstairs decks or the roof above them so that rain (and any spilt beer) just falls straight on through? 🤬 It's a good thing I don't have anywhere to go until the weekend. But I would like a dry day and a dry deck to do laundry before then.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is totally the same way…it’s the unpredictability of the weather. I imagine it must be like this now as well for a lot of migratory species. He finally decided the weather was NOT and turned into a kitty do-nut. I feel your pain, re the laundry, and actually just helped a neighbor build a roof for her outdoor washer/dryer. She was ecstatic. Guessing your caretaker/landlord is not so open to fixes, and, you don’t want to rock the boat due to decent rent. Is there any sort of renters’ collective or board where you can bring these things up? Mom used to hang things on the line, indoors, when the weather was really relentless…wonder if there is anything impromptu you could do, like plywood over the washer/dryer, or a extended tarp?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is totally the same way…it’s the unpredictability of the weather. I imagine it must be like this now as well for a lot of migratory species. He finally decided the weather was NOT and turned into a kitty do-nut. I feel your pain, re the laundry, and actually just helped a neighbor build a roof for her outdoor washer/dryer. She was ecstatic. Guessing your caretaker/landlord is not so open to fixes, and, you don’t want to rock the boat due to decent rent. Is there any sort of renters’ collective or board where you can bring these things up? Mom used to hang things on the line, indoors, when the weather was really relentless…wonder if there is anything impromptu you could do, like plywood over the washer/dryer, or a extended tarp?
I feel like the "future residents" own the decks. Because anytime I try to do anything to improve my enjoyment of the deck, I get a nasty cease and desist letter saying stupid crap like "unsightly to future resident tours" or "hooks in the posts compromise the weather worthiness." I got that for hanging a bird feeder. Meanwhile my other neighbors are doing so much worse than me. The neighbor across from me has literally made his own homemade awning with tarp and I imagine hooks and where's his nasty letter? I've just about given up on doing anything with my deck. And you're right. I'm in a rent controlled apartment community that's not a total crap hole. This is a boat I do not want to rock.

The washer and dryer itself is in a utility closet. But I have to essentially dress for outdoor weather just to get to it. Puddles on the deck. Rain I would track back in. Not worth the effort on a rainy day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like the "future residents" own the decks. Because anytime I try to do anything to improve my enjoyment of the deck, I get a nasty cease and desist letter saying stupid crap like "unsightly to future resident tours" or "hooks in the posts compromise the weather worthiness." I got that for hanging a bird feeder. Meanwhile my other neighbors are doing so much worse than me. The neighbor across from me has literally made his own homemade awning with tarp and I imagine hooks and where's his nasty letter? I've just about given up on doing anything with my deck. And you're right. I'm in a rent controlled apartment community that's not a total crap hole. This is a boat I do not want to rock.

The washer and dryer itself is in a utility closet. But I have to essentially dress for outdoor weather just to get to it. Puddles on the deck. Rain I would track back in. Not worth the effort on a rainy day.
I'm thinking you could get, or make, something modular that is not affixed to anything in an invasive way. Take it out when you do the wash. Take it in when you're done. Like, yeah, a tarp on a metal frame, tall enough for enclose/shield you, on a 4-legged frame.
Really sorry about the nose. I have the worst sinuses, so I empathize. Hope yours gets better very soon.
And, how is your Best Cat???

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like their enforcement is spotty and targeted. What's really odd is that they don't seem to care about the unsightly deck furniture that's falling apart because there's no weather protection on my deck. I feel like any effort to make this deck workable is just going to be shot down by the uneven whims of the community managers. And there's a 50% markup between my rent and market rate. This is far too expensive a hill to die on.

The sun finally came out and I caved in to an early dinner for Betty. She is now taking her after dinner nap in her fluff hut. All is right once again in her world. Despite the sun being out, I know how deceptively cold it still is. I'll wait for tomorrow or Friday. Give the deck a chance to dry so I don't have to juggle footwear at the deck door. Or have to go out later during dinner and again after dinner to change from wash to dry and pickup the dry.

Super first world problem. 🤦‍♂️ 😸