Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty has a purr button. Which is to say, her whole body is a purr button. Pets, rubs, kisses, brushing and she’ll start purring. But it doesn’t always last very long. It seems her purr button needs repeated presses. She’ll be sitting on my shoulder and chest in bed at night and we’ll be watching some TV together. I’ll roll my head over and kiss her and that’s all she needed to start purring again. Then she’ll stop purring after a short while and I’ll have to kiss her again. It’s tough work keeping this one happy. 💪😻👍

I’m not sure how much Betty bird watches. I’m she watches some. But just in case, she got some Game Birds and Wild Fowl cards to look at this week. I’ve been trying to compete the Wild Birds set from 1932 for some 10+ years. I didn’t notice a nearly identical Game Birds and Wild Fowl set from 1927 got into my eBay purchases and collection. Now I’ve got to go back and buy the cards from the right set and I’m tempted to complete the other one too.
ED32D53E-56A0-43C9-952B-B59D73D81C44.jpeg 9DBD2323-D3D6-4A49-8CA1-C6397D1FE0BD.jpeg 01B4B7AE-1098-40B6-A164-E5B93BD0F950.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty has a purr button. Which is to say, her whole body is a purr button. Pets, rubs, kisses, brushing and she’ll start purring. But it doesn’t always last very long. It seems her purr button needs repeated presses. She’ll be sitting on my shoulder and chest in bed at night and we’ll be watching some TV together. I’ll roll my head over and kiss her and that’s all she needed to start purring again. Then she’ll stop purring after a short while and I’ll have to kiss her again. It’s tough work keeping this one happy. 💪😻👍

I’m not sure how much Betty bird watches. I’m she watches some. But just in case, she got some Game Birds and Wild Fowl cards to look at this week. I’ve been trying to compete the Wild Birds set from 1932 for some 10+ years. I didn’t notice a nearly identical Game Birds and Wild Fowl set from 1927 got into my eBay purchases and collection. Now I’ve got to go back and buy the cards from the right set and I’m tempted to complete the other one too.
View attachment 437956View attachment 437958View attachment 437959
*Well, she's a GIRL, daft!!! You can't expect her to be satisfied with just one kiss, now can you?*:happycat:I don't suppose you fall asleep when this is happening? I've missed the ends of SO MANY films & programs and for some unknown reason I seem to wake up as the end credits are rolling. So films and TV never get old, because I never know the end (kind of like Bjork in "Dancer in the Dark" and yeah, I know about Lars van Trier but it's a great film anyway; if you haven't seen it, I do recommend it).
I have some vintage cards, but none as beautiful as those! I have a wonderful cat breeds set. I'd get up and check these and give you more info, but I have a cat on my lap, so I can't.:petcat:Looks like Betty's quite interested in those!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:gaah:

I feel like I’m coming down with something. Hopefully just a cold because I don’t have time to be out for two weeks again. Thankfully my throat feels better than it did. But my sinuses are starting to act up and I have a dry cough. Not a particularly fierce one. Just stubborn. So I’ve started on Mucinex and I’ll be staying home resting today instead of going to the taproom. I just need to be able to drive to the vet and back twice tomorrow. Then I can go down for a week before I have to muddle my way through a car drop off.

Betty finished her plate last night on the overnight. She left a rather large (12 grams) remainder on dinner. No feeder. Total: 145 calories. 7-day daily average: 145 calories.

Saturday weigh-in: stable 10.58.
D5A1B08F-49D7-4FFE-9A8C-12047E8A47AA.jpeg
It seems we may have finally leveled off. It took us ten months, but I think I finally figured out how much to feed her. 😹

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was odd. The doc wants me to give Betty gabapentin in the morning to relax her. When he told me how much liquid she would need, I said, "No way! She's not taking six droppers! Is there a pill or capsule formulation? She'll take those willingly." I picked up the capsules yesterday. Size 3. Betty has taken a size three before but not easily. No worries. I have size four capsules, a capsule filling machine, and a spatula. I can re-pack that Tic Tac. I put four empty capsules into the machine thinking it will probably be two plus a little. The entire size three capsule emptied into one size four with room to spare. What was the point of putting that into the larger capsule? Maybe they are intentionally making it harder to swallow to hopefully put it out of reach of children? 🤷‍♂️ It is a human formulation as the insert said there are no veterinary formulations. Tonight I will add half a Cerenia to her stack. Plates up at midnight. She'll get the single size four gabapentin and then we'll both go back to bed for a very fitful third sleep while she wonders where breakfast is and I'll just be the vet morning wreck that I usually am. And we'll find out just how much she likes her new carrier once she sees what it's for.

I'm feeling a little loopy from the Dayquil and Mucinex I took earlier. But my symptoms feel better. I will rally in an hour after I've plated Betty's lunch to see about finding one or two more cases of food for her. I picked up two yesterday. But that's not going to be enough. Not when we go through a case a week. I have the most well-fed sink since half the case goes down the drain. Better than on the carpet though. But anyway. Once I get out the door, I should be able to rally long enough to get her food and my food and maybe a Covid test for good measure. Though I don't feel nearly as poorly as I did in July. But I also just got boosted two weeks ago.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
That was odd. The doc wants me to give Betty gabapentin in the morning to relax her. When he told me how much liquid she would need, I said, "No way! She's not taking six droppers! Is there a pill or capsule formulation? She'll take those willingly." I picked up the capsules yesterday. Size 3. Betty has taken a size three before but not easily. No worries. I have size four capsules, a capsule filling machine, and a spatula. I can re-pack that Tic Tac. I put four empty capsules into the machine thinking it will probably be two plus a little. The entire size three capsule emptied into one size four with room to spare. What was the point of putting that into the larger capsule? Maybe they are intentionally making it harder to swallow to hopefully put it out of reach of children? 🤷‍♂️ It is a human formulation as the insert said there are no veterinary formulations. Tonight I will add half a Cerenia to her stack. Plates up at midnight. She'll get the single size four gabapentin and then we'll both go back to bed for a very fitful third sleep while she wonders where breakfast is and I'll just be the vet morning wreck that I usually am. And we'll find out just how much she likes her new carrier once she sees what it's for.

I'm feeling a little loopy from the Dayquil and Mucinex I took earlier. But my symptoms feel better. I will rally in an hour after I've plated Betty's lunch to see about finding one or two more cases of food for her. I picked up two yesterday. But that's not going to be enough. Not when we go through a case a week. I have the most well-fed sink since half the case goes down the drain. Better than on the carpet though. But anyway. Once I get out the door, I should be able to rally long enough to get her food and my food and maybe a Covid test for good measure. Though I don't feel nearly as poorly as I did in July. But I also just got boosted two weeks ago.
what is the gabapentrin for? i thought that was for seizures? Is it to chill her out before Monday?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is the gabapentrin for? i thought that was for seizures? Is it to chill her out before Monday?
Yes. It's to chill her out. I've had other vets offer that to me for Krista once she earned a reputation for being spicy at the vet. But I haven't had it as part of pre-flight instructions. Still, she does get anxious in the car ride. We'll give it a try. So far, I've been pleased with the two docs she's seen at this VCA. If this is the way they do things, then let's give it a try.

With how nervous I already am about her appointment, maybe I should take the gabapentin. 🤦‍♂️ 😸

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It's to chill her out. I've had other vets offer that to me for Krista once she earned a reputation for being spicy at the vet. But I haven't had it as part of pre-flight instructions. Still, she does get anxious in the car ride. We'll give it a try. So far, I've been pleased with the two docs she's seen at this VCA. If this is the way they do things, then let's give it a try.

With how nervous I already am about her appointment, maybe I should take the gabapentin. 🤦‍♂️ 😸
Yeah. I know the feeling. Empathize bigtime. Hoping it all goes very smoothly and very well.
Hope you feel better, too! Too bad you had to miss your pleasant afternoon. But that makes sense. Gotta stay as strong and well as possible for Betty! Hoping you both have a nice evening and peaceful night.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been tough to find Betty’s food lately. I was able to secure two cases each from two different VCAs out of at least six that I called. There’s another VCA I called that said they would be getting ten cases tomorrow. I drove somewhere else to secure the second two cases today in case this sick thing really takes me down.

It was surprisingly easy to keep going today once I got started. Which was a good thing. Because if I thought finding Betty’s food was a challenge, I’m so 😡 with the supply chain nonsense. It seems like I can’t do my grocery shopping in less than three different stores these days. Today it was four. Two Safeways that didn’t have what I wanted, a Lucky’s that had most of it, and a CVS for a couple of Covid tests and some snacks.
F05CF8A7-933D-4765-B55F-DE3CE840777E.jpeg
The Binax lollipop tastes like snot. And it looks like I’m not pregnant.
😹👍

Betty had a very perky first pass on dinner tonight and finished the remainder early even with the Cerenia in her. We went lights out early and she’s currently napping away on my shoulder. I have a “plates up” alarm for midnight. And I have a “Gab” compartment in her pill case for tomorrow morning.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up just before midnight to the sounds of Betty smacking away on her second dinner. Wouldn’t be fair to call it overnight since I took it up as soon as she finished her latest pass at it. 12 gram remainder. She probably would have finished it if she had all night. I got to turn off the midnight alarm without alerting Betty.

I woke up snotty at 5:15am and took a shot of DayQuil. I pretended to wash her dish from the overnight which was already washed since midnight. I got Betty’s glob of A/D and her gabapentin ready and summoned her to her med spot. Because she’s such a fuss glutton, this was as simple as getting on my fours near her poof. I can’t summon her by name. I’m not sure if she knows it. Or cares. But I can always summon her by getting down on the ground where she can see me. She looks forward to the opportunity of brushing against me and my face. And she will cross the apartment for that chance. She may not follow me around when I walk upright. But she always follows me when I crawl on my fours for her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹😻 So I got her to come to her med spot and take her gabapentin as I’m literally telling her, “Now Betty. I know I’m tricking you this morning. You only get this one and no breakfast. And in a few hours, you’re going to the doctor to possibly have some teeth removed.” And all the while she’s rubbing against me and purring and saying, “I’m a little confused that there isn’t a second or third capsule and I guess I can settle for fuss if there’s no food coming.” She hasn’t bothered me about breakfast and she’s sleeping on my chest and shoulder right now as I wait an hour before I start getting myself ready.

Ugh! It’s raining. Good thing she’s medicated so hopefully she won’t add to the stress of the morning.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:gaah:
Doc called and had to cancel today’s procedure for personal reasons. I understand why and I don’t need to share it. It’s fair and I accept it. But Betty is still doped up and my stomach has been doing the nervous number for the last hour or two. I really think I should be the one taking the Cerenia and Gabapentin. I’m giving it a few more moments as the artificial sunrise (my smart lights) illuminates the room. Then we’ll do her breakfast routine a few hours late. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔 She can eat as much or as little as she wants today. At least we get a dry run of the gabapentin.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I was pulling it together for a drop off and a sleep kind of day. Now my stomach has gone through all of that for nothing and I find I’m still sick and now nauseated. At least Betty has an appetite this morning. Boy does she ever! She just finished breakfast in one go!
92BB8D05-40B4-4365-9365-B3E511B31F04.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I was pulling it together for a drop off and a sleep kind of day. Now my stomach has gone through all of that for nothing and I find I’m still sick and now nauseated. At least Betty has an appetite this morning. Boy does she ever! She just finished breakfast in one go!
View attachment 438071
*SO empathizing*! Some people take stuff like that with no problem. I'd be where you are, or worse. I've always hated it when people change plans, especially those involving going through all that kind of stuff, and even more especially when a loved one has to go through it, too🤬 Yeah, people have emergencies. I hope his was. Have they rescheduled? Poor Betty and poor you. I'd definitely be praying to the toilet god after something like that.
Good, though, that your test is negative!:agree:
You have Lucky's up there?!! We used to too, but haven't for a long time. I used to shop there and liked it. Yeah, enough with the supply chain and pandemic excuses. Get it together, people! The veterinarian/clinic appointment problems are the WORST to me. It's made such a huge problem in the activist community and set us back just when we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of spay/neuter. But our determination isn't wavering.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*SO empathizing*! Some people take stuff like that with no problem. I'd be where you are, or worse. I've always hated it when people change plans, especially those involving going through all that kind of stuff, and even more especially when a loved one has to go through it, too🤬 Yeah, people have emergencies. I hope his was. Have they rescheduled? Poor Betty and poor you. I'd definitely be praying to the toilet god after something like that.
Good, though, that your test is negative!:agree:
You have Lucky's up there?!! We used to too, but haven't for a long time. I used to shop there and liked it. Yeah, enough with the supply chain and pandemic excuses. Get it together, people! The veterinarian/clinic appointment problems are the WORST to me. It's made such a huge problem in the activist community and set us back just when we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of spay/neuter. But our determination isn't wavering.
Yes. It was a family emergency. Truthfully I always have a nervous gut and butt before big things like this: vet drop offs, doctors appointments, vaccination (I don’t like needles.)

My stomach is starting to settle. I managed a bagel and cream cheese.

Betty is loopy. But doing alright. She’s like a ten pound bean bag right now. Or maybe a ten pound bag of rice for as much shape as she has.
2C1455D1-B19C-4857-BC4F-271BA3208973.jpeg F42FABE7-E210-4514-9ED1-413EAACF498F.jpeg 3B49413E-9E9D-4181-9169-016F06646F0F.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It was a family emergency. Truthfully I always have a nervous gut and butt before big things like this: vet drop offs, doctors appointments, vaccination (I don’t like needles.)

My stomach is starting to settle. I managed a bagel and cream cheese.

Betty is loopy. But doing alright. She’s like a ten pound bean bag right now. Or maybe a ten pound bag of rice for as much shape as she has.
View attachment 438075View attachment 438076View attachment 438077
I'm the same, so again, much empathy. My mom was what we'd now call bulimic, and I have been, too; not on purpose, but because of emotional intensity. That's returned recently after a long time of not being troublesome, so I really try to mind-over-matter things, but it doesn't always work. The cretins next door were at it a little bit last night right around my bedtime, and sure enough, this morning I woke up really trying not to get sick. So far, so good but I know their holidays are coming and I dread those.
Family emergencies are understandable and forgiveable...but so sorry you and Betty are having to deal with this. I know the veterinary shortage is an ongoing problem; but I'm sure you'll agree in wishing there'd been a "Plan B" (as in "Vet B") this morning. Ah well, what's done is done. Hoping you and Betty can relax, decompress, and maybe spend some cuddle time together before/around/after work.