Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Your confidence is admirable. I hope it's rooted in fact. The cops here are corrupt as he!! and I wouldn't place any confidence in them.
daftcat75 daftcat75 That's pretty good calorically, but leaving the feeder untouched?!! Why, Betty, why?:gaah:
Your driving menaces sound like ours down here. This city is notorious for its bad, too-fast, aggressive drivers. Hoping there's no damage behind your bumper!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Your confidence is admirable. I hope it's rooted in fact. The cops here are corrupt as he!! and I wouldn't place any confidence in them.
daftcat75 daftcat75 That's pretty good calorically, but leaving the feeder untouched?!! Why, Betty, why?:gaah:
Your driving menaces sound like ours down here. This city is notorious for its bad, too-fast, aggressive drivers. Hoping there's no damage behind your bumper!!!
She doesn't need to touch the feeder. I'm happy if she doesn't because that's likely where I'm taking away calories. My original goal for the week was to aim for 140 calories a day because that's where she was at last week when she finally stopped gaining weight. But this week, I'm simply collecting data so that I can say for sure that MOS is treating her better than FOS. But seeing breakfast cleared before 9am seems pretty convincing to me already.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't need to touch the feeder. I'm happy if she doesn't because that's likely where I'm taking away calories. My original goal for the week was to aim for 140 calories a day because that's where she was at last week when she finally stopped gaining weight. But this week, I'm simply collecting data so that I can say for sure that MOS is treating her better than FOS. But seeing breakfast cleared before 9am seems pretty convincing to me already.
:yess:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably should have picked up the feeder last night when I saw most of the plate already eaten. But I'm in data collection mode for reporting the difference between FOS and MOS. Most of the plate AND most of the feeder. 164 calories yesterday. 🐷🐷🐷

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think her eating pants and jacket went to the cleaners after her 165 calories day. She earned the right to leave remainders yesterday and leave them she did. Only lunch was finished completely. 125 calories. Or 144 calories average between the two days. As long as today picks up a little, I’ll take it.

I also only just realized that because I am no longer zeroing out last week’s data when I copy it over for a new week, I now have a rolling 7 day average of her daily calories with last week’s data standing in for the days not yet recorded this week. Rolling 7 day average: 146 calories.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's being extra needy this morning. And she's on pace to leave a large breakfast remainder (about half of it) if she doesn't return to the plate in the next hour. After repeatedly begging me for fuss and more fuss, she's content to sleep away on the daybed in the office. I guess today is a Bring Your Cat to The Office Day. 😽 This means she's more likely to beg for fuss than food when she wakes. I need to run out to the store for coffee over lunch. Hopefully her eating pants will return from the laundry by then. 😸 And hopefully that will reset our division of labor. I have to work in the office. She needs to eat and sleep in the other rooms during the day. This is the proper order of things.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's being extra needy this morning. And she's on pace to leave a large breakfast remainder (about half of it) if she doesn't return to the plate in the next hour. After repeatedly begging me for fuss and more fuss, she's content to sleep away on the daybed in the office. I guess today is a Bring Your Cat to The Office Day. 😽 This means she's more likely to beg for fuss than food when she wakes. I need to run out to the store for coffee over lunch. Hopefully her eating pants will return from the laundry by then. 😸 And hopefully that will reset our division of labor. I have to work in the office. She needs to eat and sleep in the other rooms during the day. This is the proper order of things.
:crackup::lovecat3:👖😻🥣*they're anthropocentric. What can I say?:sigh:
You can never get, or give, too much fuss.
I've got onion bagels. And ciabatta. And I'm not sharing. :bliss:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it turns out she halved her breakfast remainder. You would think for a cat that eats her meals atop a Chemistry book, she may have absorbed a little about half-lifes through her dinner reading. Betty, if you half the portion and you come back and half it again, you still have to come back two more times to get down to a forgivable remainder. So half of a half, she left a 1/4 portion remainder on breakfast. Not terrible. She has to leave remainders given how much I plate for her. These days, since she doesn't eat leftovers, it's put it on the plate or put it down the sink. So so since I still can't predict when she's going to leave a remainder, she gets plenty plated with the expectation that I'll be picking up remainders sometimes. Remainders is kind of a new thing for her since she started pred. I'm not quite confident about where she's going to leave them to simply resize those portions. I'm sort of hoping (okay, really hoping!) that she'll just level off naturally at a level that allows her to maintain but not gain any more weight.

It's a gray rainy day. Maybe morning looked too much like dusk and she still thought we should have been snuggling with coffee and Star Trek. I made it out to the store to pick up more coffee. I was down to my last pod which I really wanted in the afternoon. Now I don't have to face the morning without coffee. And that seems to have reset our division of labor. She's snoozing away in her corner cloud after a small first pass (but a first pass nonetheless!) on lunch and I'm back in the office without an office meownager interrupting me every five minutes.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had our first sniff and snub this week since changing to MOS. To be honest, I'm not sure it was as much about the food as it was the company. The vet who will be performing her dental on Monday finally called me back during her dinner. I had to put him on speaker while I managed to get her two pills in her. Or rather, I dipped and dropped, and she scooped and swallowed. But when I put the food in front of her, she started to wander off. She probably didn't want to eat with the doctor. I don't blame her. I managed to entice her into a few carpet morsels before she left out of range. Final answer! Lunch plate was clean. A dinner remainder won't be the worst.

The doc and I had a good talk and covered many concerns. I'll be picking up a gabapentin prescription (in pills because that's too much liquid) to relax her the morning of the procedure. I'll be giving her Cerenia the night before. X-rays will be taken. Ears will be looked at but no vigorous cleaning allowed. Only easy pickings or nothing at all. We can revisit ears after her dental recovery rather than complicating it. No proactive antibiotics. If she has any extractions, she has a follow up appointment to assess the healing. No food after midnight except that tiniest amount of A/D to get the gabapentin in her the morning of the procedure. I'll drop her off about 8am and I should receive a call around 10 or 11 about what was seen after cleaning and X-rays and if extractions need to be performed. I'll probably pick her up around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I felt like we were very much on the same page on everything which helped allay the concerns I had of not speaking with this doc since January. I have been dealing with the other doc in the practice since February. But her schedule is booked for the rest of the year. It was his that I could get her on for this dental. After re-connecting with him and going over all my concerns with him, I remember why I feel good about this VCA over the cat-only practice down the street (besides the fact that I couldn't get an initial appointment at the latter for a month out from adoption.) Cat-only practices aren't always the best.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After her 1/4 portion breakfast remainder, she finished lunch and dinner. But she only ate half the overnight and none of the feeder. She hit the plate once before midnight and slept hard through the remainder of the night. I woke up once or twice and found her still sleeping in the same spot next to me on the bed the whole night through. 125 calories. Not quite the rally after a reduced day that I was expecting. Rolling 7 day average still above last week.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is Betty's dental? Sending wishes...:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Missed this earlier. I drop her off on Monday morning. The doc will probably start between 9 and 10 and I'll get a call about an hour into it after all the cleaning and X-rays. At this time, he'll let me know what he sees and if any extractions will be necessary. I fully expect an extraction or three. I just hope the recovery is straight-forward and uncomplicated. I'll pick up a few more cans of A/D this weekend in case she needs something softer and more appealing than her normal I/D stew.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missed this earlier. I drop her off on Monday morning. The doc will probably start between 9 and 10 and I'll get a call about an hour into it after all the cleaning and X-rays. At this time, he'll let me know what he sees and if any extractions will be necessary. I fully expect an extraction or three. I just hope the recovery is straight-forward and uncomplicated. I'll pick up a few more cans of A/D this weekend in case she needs something softer and more appealing than her normal I/D stew.
I don't blame Betty. I had a crush on Spock since kidhood and I'd probably take him over food, too. And I could probably find excuses in any later Star Treks, too. So there.
Doctor sounds excellent! Hoping for minimal extractions needed, if any; but it'll be great if she does need and gets, with speedy, comfy recovery.
Hoping you get the A/D with no problem.
*Yeah, I empathize about coffee. Just couldn't do much without my morning mug and lunch mug or iced glass, depending on weather.*
Hoping for a rainy weekend here. Got some rain last night and a little today. Very good cuddling-with-cat ambience.*

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like there’s a two day turnaround on cleaning her eating pants. After a couple of 120’s days, she managed 154 calories yesterday. I didn’t put out the feeder because she hasn’t touched it in a couple nights anyway.

Speaking of feeders, the Bird Buddy got an update and I got new birds. They (the developers) keep in touch with newsletters since the Kickstarter ended in 2020. The next firmware update should have much improved battery and we may even get a whole week out of the solar roof.
F44449B0-7C9C-457F-8251-931F325E187C.png

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like there’s a two day turnaround on cleaning her eating pants. After a couple of 120’s days, she managed 154 calories yesterday. I didn’t put out the feeder because she hasn’t touched it in a couple nights anyway.

Speaking of feeders, the Bird Buddy got an update and I got new birds. They (the developers) keep in touch with newsletters since the Kickstarter ended in 2020. The next firmware update should have much improved battery and we may even get a whole week out of the solar roof.
View attachment 437920
…looks to be a housefinch, but hard to say since the red perch reflects upwards.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
…looks to be a housefinch, but hard to say since the red perch reflects upwards.
Yes. That’s what the app said. I got multiple shots and that was a good one. Here’s the cover photo of my House Finch collection. And a few tidbits from the app as well.
6AF77B3F-B6FD-4935-AEB6-D5B318FFF76A.png
8402116E-1B22-496B-A2A8-F2457C4E21BC.png