Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an acclimation room setup. The box is in the nook behind my desk chair. That’s not a sustainable location. So one friend told me just leave her locked away in her acclimation room tonight and you’re saying open it up tonight. Maybe I need to make a new thread for this question?
Well, it's a personal choice, bottom line. If there were other cats there, I would definitely say to close the door. But there aren't. So it's really your choice. I can't see a reason against either alternative. As for TV, unless you sleep with it blaring, I can't see any reason she'd be scared by it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s up off the floor! Progress. 👍

We had shared an assertive ear rub session. I came up and started lightly scratching her ear seeing she might be more receptive now that she’s not hiding anymore. And she was, “Yeah. Gimme some of that!” 😻
DD4BAC30-A9E4-4284-87D3-D03B57FE2AF1.jpeg 2B04BCAA-400B-432D-BD97-9DFF4D5CA6D0.jpeg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

We had shared an assertive ear rub session. I came up and started lightly scratching her ear seeing she might be more receptive now that she’s not hiding anymore. And she was, “Yeah. Gimme some of that!” 😻
View attachment 408806View attachment 408807
Up off the floor already...Wow...Nice one. :thumbsup:
Her Confidence is Building up quick.:cool2:
That you managed to get in that 'assertive ear rub session'...with her enjoying it,...is a great sign. :)

Is she tracking you with her eyes? and ears?
Or just pretending to not watch you?
The funny thing will be when you both will happen to look at each other,...at the same time,...and then look away, quickly. :blush:
Getting to know each other's movements, sounds, and timetables will be fun.

Your Betty White is beautiful. :clover:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up off the floor already...Wow...Nice one. :thumbsup:
Her Confidence is Building up quick.:cool2:
That you managed to get in that 'assertive ear rub session'...with her enjoying it,...is a great sign. :)

Is she tracking you with her eyes? and ears?
Or just pretending to not watch you?
The funny thing will be when you both will happen to look at each other,...at the same time,...and then look away, quickly. :blush:
Getting to know each other's movements, sounds, and timetables will be fun.

Your Betty White is beautiful. :clover:
We’ve made more progress since this. She’s perched or rested on all three levels of one cat tree and the top two levels of the other. I left the door cracked for her and she briefly popped her head out and looked around. But back into her room before I could turn my head around and see what she got up to. Oh. And then just now she popped out again. She’s flirting with me and her environment. 😻

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve made more progress since this. She’s perched or rested on all three levels of one cat tree and the top two levels of the other. I left the door cracked for her and she briefly popped her head out and looked around. But back into her room before I could turn my head around and see what she got up to. Oh. And then just now she popped out again. She’s flirting with me and her environment. 😻
:crackup::lol: Yeah, it definitely sounds like she's 'flirting with you and her environment'....what a great phrase and observation. :crackup::biggrin:
It seems like you chose, quite a fearless Betty White cat...or the universe chose her for you.
(Earlier, I was going to say,...give it like a whole week or two, daftcat75,...and she'll come around, when she feels more Confident.
Nope. Was I wrong. Glad I'm not into predicting, or taking on a betting pool,...as to when Betty White will leave her room. I would lose.)

Wonder if we should guess the time, when she will completely leave her room. 🤔
Probably tonight.
Guessing when she will look out the windows. Tomorrow...or tonight. She moves fast. :blush:
First meow...tonight. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 408806View attachment 408807
*BALM for the soul!* to see her confidently owning her tree! She's absolutely gorgeous, but then YOU KNOW THAT :hearthrob: :hearthrob::goldstar::clap2:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did end up in bed with me several times. But I think she was trying to sweet talk me. She seemed less interested in sleeping last night. Rather she has a soft plaintive meow as she wandered the kitchen, presumably looking for kibble. She seems to be nibbling at the Fancy Feast. She finished about 3/4 of a can yesterday. Only a few bites this morning. Hopefully that will pick up soon as she gets more settled in and learns that there will be no kibble in this house. I fear that if I started her on it, I would get lazy like most of Krista’s and all of Cabbie’s time with me. I didn’t sleep well last night with new parent jitters, “are you going to eat your dinner?” and a kibble addict foraging all night. 🤦🏼‍♂️It’s also been nearly 18 months since the last time I had to share my bed.
1847DC9C-B348-4A42-805D-91DBB9B9F4F5.jpeg 12E84935-B5FC-47C9-80D6-ECC1DFAAC8CF.jpeg 748B5238-5D87-4641-8E37-1254439A41C2.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did end up in bed with me several times. But I think she was trying to sweet talk me. She seemed less interested in sleeping last night. Rather she has a soft plaintive meow as she wandered the kitchen, presumably looking for kibble. She seems to be nibbling at the Fancy Feast. She finished about 3/4 of a can yesterday. Only a few bites this morning. Hopefully that will pick up soon as she gets more settled in and learns that there will be no kibble in this house. I fear that if I started her on it, I would get lazy like most of Krista’s and all of Cabbie’s time with me. I didn’t sleep well last night with new parent jitters, “are you going to eat your dinner?” and a kibble addict foraging all night. 🤦🏼‍♂️It’s also been nearly 18 months since the last time I had to share my bed.
View attachment 408868View attachment 408869View attachment 408870
She's just so beautiful! Look at that little FACE! Wow, that's fast progress. She knows she can trust you. *I do feed Blue Buffalo "mature cat" dry and they love it. It's high quality as dry goes. Another idea is to just sprinkle a few on her wet food. Or give just a few as treats. That might be allowable?* :hearthrob: :clap2: :goldstar:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just so beautiful! Look at that little FACE! Wow, that's fast progress. She knows she can trust you. *I do feed Blue Buffalo "mature cat" dry and they love it. It's high quality as dry goes. Another idea is to just sprinkle a few on her wet food. Or give just a few as treats. That might be allowable?* :hearthrob: :clap2: :goldstar:
We’ll see. I have no idea how much she ate before she came home with me. Krista used to do her own slow transitions to new food to make certain it agreed with her. Maybe Betty is doing the same. I don’t want to give in too quickly on what may only be a short-term adjustment for her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And at least in the short-term, I have Tiki Cat wet food. I'd rather have a fish addicted cat who eats only wet food than a kibble addict. But for the even shorter term, I have a few tube treats that I could use as toppers or mix-ins.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And at least in the short-term, I have Tiki Cat wet food. I'd rather have a fish addicted cat who eats only wet food than a kibble addict. But for the even shorter term, I have a few tube treats that I could use as toppers or mix-ins.
Yeah, I hear and see so much good about the squeezeups! though I've never bought them. How about: Blue Buffalo Tastefuls chicken, BB Wilderness varieties such as red meat feast, chicken & turkey, trout, and chicken & trout, Soulistic varieties (any or all)? These are all very popular here. And there are always the dried bonito/tuna flakes and powder. Those are pretty irresistible.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I hear and see so much good about the squeezeups! though I've never bought them. How about: Blue Buffalo Tastefuls chicken, BB Wilderness varieties such as red meat feast, chicken & turkey, trout, and chicken & trout, Soulistic varieties (any or all)? These are all very popular here. And there are always the dried bonito/tuna flakes and powder. Those are pretty irresistible.
So a new wrinkle. I don't feel so great today. Not a cold. Not a fever. I suppose it could be Covid with all the wildcard oddball symptoms that have been observed. But I don't exactly feel like driving around for a PCR or antigen test. Mostly I feel tired with a little brain fog. Breakfast didn't have enough taste even with the Tabasco it was swimming in. And I was having some heart palpitations when I was laying down after breakfast. Since I took a "pawternity leave" day yesterday for Betty, I'm going to see how much I can get through today before I call it quits. I don't exactly feel flattened. But not 100% here either. I'm not sure if I want to be driving around for pet food. I have the fish flavored Tiki Cat and I also have Rawz.

But mostly, she's just been sleeping underneath the tree, in her little nook down there once again. She seems alright when I check in on her. Perhaps she's just sleepy from a night of foraging yesterday. I'll test her interest in a tube treat when she has more interest in being awake.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
First of all, congratulations! I am sure that Betty White is starting to understand that she has had the incredible luck to be rehomed into one of the best places possible. It is so wonderful that you have decided to share your life and amazing cat expertise with another little soul. Take care of yourself! I look forward to the new adventures of Betty White.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So a new wrinkle. I don't feel so great today. Not a cold. Not a fever. I suppose it could be Covid with all the wildcard oddball symptoms that have been observed. But I don't exactly feel like driving around for a PCR or antigen test. Mostly I feel tired with a little brain fog. Breakfast didn't have enough taste even with the Tabasco it was swimming in. And I was having some heart palpitations when I was laying down after breakfast. Since I took a "pawternity leave" day yesterday for Betty, I'm going to see how much I can get through today before I call it quits. I don't exactly feel flattened. But not 100% here either. I'm not sure if I want to be driving around for pet food. I have the fish flavored Tiki Cat and I also have Rawz.

But mostly, she's just been sleeping underneath the tree, in her little nook down there once again. She seems alright when I check in on her. Perhaps she's just sleepy from a night of foraging yesterday. I'll test her interest in a tube treat when she has more interest in being awake.
Really hoping you feel better soon! and even though it's natural to wonder, I'm just hoping it isn't, of course. If you get the flutters again, bear down on your diaphragm. This works for me. Hoping you have enough food for you both until you feel better and beyond. Worst case, you can always order delivery, for one or both. Keep us informed!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really hoping you feel better soon! and even though it's natural to wonder, I'm just hoping it isn't, of course. If you get the flutters again, bear down on your diaphragm. This works for me. Hoping you have enough food for you both until you feel better and beyond. Worst case, you can always order delivery, for one or both. Keep us informed!
I may have that weird cat that doesn't like tuna. She finally came calling around noon and was circling and rubbing against me like "why aren't you feeding me?" She had no interest in Tiki Cat Tuna with Pumpkin (one of Krista's favorites!) She also had no interest in Fussie Cat Chicken and Duck tube treat. Still she circled and rubbed and meowed against me like, "what else you got?" I do have a few 3 oz cans of Rawz Rabbit (and many 5.5 oz cans!) from before Krista passed. She actually sniffed that a bit longer than the tuna and with a lot of encouragement, took a few nibbles. But that was that. So I don't know. I'm not exactly out of food choices. But I'm afraid of what I might do to her gut if I try too many. I'll leave the rabbit out and hopefully she'll nibble some more. Whenever I feel better, I'll go to the grocery store and buy some of the more popular brands. I wish I had taken some of her food from the shelter. 🤦‍♂️ It was Hills something or other. The vet may have some and she does need to go in soon for her initial look over. Whatever findings in that visit may become her pre-existing conditions for insurance. I would like her to be eating by then.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have that weird cat that doesn't like tuna. She finally came calling around noon and was circling and rubbing against me like "why aren't you feeding me?" She had no interest in Tiki Cat Tuna with Pumpkin (one of Krista's favorites!) She also had no interest in Fussie Cat Chicken and Duck tube treat. Still she circled and rubbed and meowed against me like, "what else you got?" I do have a few 3 oz cans of Rawz Rabbit (and many 5.5 oz cans!) from before Krista passed. She actually sniffed that a bit longer than the tuna and with a lot of encouragement, took a few nibbles. But that was that. So I don't know. I'm not exactly out of food choices. But I'm afraid of what I might do to her gut if I try too many. I'll leave the rabbit out and hopefully she'll nibble some more. Whenever I feel better, I'll go to the grocery store and buy some of the more popular brands. I wish I had taken some of her food from the shelter. 🤦‍♂️ It was Hills something or other. The vet may have some and she does need to go in soon for her initial look over. Whatever findings in that visit may become her pre-existing conditions for insurance. I would like her to be eating by then.
Yeah, you may have to start her on her "usual" and gradually introduce some better quality or more varied choices. A lot of the Hills stuff has pork, which I can't and won't do. My roomie fed her boy nothing but Hills weight control wet mixed with dry. He became more and more obese on those and passed far before his time, at 13, morbidly obese. She DID feed him whenever he asked, which was a lot. She simply didn't know better, and that vet was awful. I will NEVER go to him. That said, a lot of vets do push that particular brand because it's pushed to them. I've seen it in too many veterinary clinics not to know this to be a fact. She's quite a young cat, though, and hopefully she is in good health -- she certainly looks it! -- so even if you have to start with her "usual" it doesn't mean you can't expand upon that. I agree about trying too many things on her this soon, though. Everyone needs to have some cards in their hand, so to speak, and it'd be great if she liked some nice quality but not too hard to find selections! Many people have said that Fancy Feast and Purina ProPlan are good choices, fairly high quality but not too rarefied, and popular with many cats. The times I've tried FF, they haven't liked them; I used to feed ProPlan but stopped, for not particular reason. It's Blue Buffalo and Soulistic all the way, for us.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you may have to start her on her "usual" and gradually introduce some better quality or more varied choices. A lot of the Hills stuff has pork, which I can't and won't do. My roomie fed her boy nothing but Hills weight control wet mixed with dry. He became more and more obese on those and passed far before his time, at 13, morbidly obese. She DID feed him whenever he asked, which was a lot. She simply didn't know better, and that vet was awful. I will NEVER go to him. That said, a lot of vets do push that particular brand because it's pushed to them. I've seen it in too many veterinary clinics not to know this to be a fact. She's quite a young cat, though, and hopefully she is in good health -- she certainly looks it! -- so even if you have to start with her "usual" it doesn't mean you can't expand upon that. I agree about trying too many things on her this soon, though. Everyone needs to have some cards in their hand, so to speak, and it'd be great if she liked some nice quality but not too hard to find selections! Many people have said that Fancy Feast and Purina ProPlan are good choices, fairly high quality but not too rarefied, and popular with many cats. The times I've tried FF, they haven't liked them; I used to feed ProPlan but stopped, for not particular reason. It's Blue Buffalo and Soulistic all the way, for us.
I'm on the hold line waiting for someone to answer at the shelter. I don't think they will. The shelter has seemed to go into "we can't do 💩" mode ever since the pandemic hit. And it finally forwarded to voicemail. 🤦‍♂️ Who knows how many days it would take for them to return my call. I guess I'm getting on some clothes and pulling myself together for an in-person visit to see if they can send me home with some of her shelter food. I could possibly buy more through the vet until we can transition.

She did take a few more bites of the Rawz. It's not totally offensive. Maybe she'll warm up to that one. Figures. She wants the hardest to find food. 🤦‍♂️