Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I left her this morning, she was crashed out hard on the bed. But still above the covers. When I changed out her lunch plate, she never came back for a second pass and she burrowed in deep. I hope I do not have to wake her at 3:30 again today.

I put a small corner of I/D pate on the plate. She didn't seem to like this back when we were first trying the prescription foods. But I still have a lot of it and it would be easier on her teeth. So here's a small corner for her to take a second stab at it. That said, it really doesn't look very appetizing. It's a firm, non-descript hockey puck. I don't blame her that she likes the real chicken pieces better.
Yeah, I'd opt for those, too, if I was Betty. Which I'm not. So maybe -- just maybe! -- she'll tough it out and try the I/D again. Hoping so, anyway.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Color me impressed! She not only ate the I/D puck (pate) mound at lunch. She seemed to prefer it at dinner. I’ll onboard her with this one slowly. But as long as she likes this, I’ve got a lot of it to go through. 🐷👍

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wonder why she sleeps on my head. I seem to encourage it. When I woke her up, I stick my face into hers. She likes it when I spend time with her on the floor after dinner. She pretty much expects it and demands it. And if I try to multitask like I am right now with her in my arms lap in front of me, she’ll get up and brush her face and body against mine. PAY ATTENTION TO ME! 😽😻 Good thing I’m no longer allergic to cats. This one is always in my face. Literally!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wonder why she sleeps on my head. I seem to encourage it. When I woke her up, I stick my face into hers. She likes it when I spend time with her on the floor after dinner. She pretty much expects it and demands it. And if I try to multitask like I am right now with her in my arms lap in front of me, she’ll get up and brush her face and body against mine. PAY ATTENTION TO ME! 😽😻 Good thing I’m no longer allergic to cats. This one is always in my face. Literally!
Baby Su slept on my head or next to it. I miss her, and that, SO much. Elvis is laptopping on his cat blanket. We keep each other warm on these cool days/nights. Sometimes he'll sit up in his Royal Cat position and we do boops and kisses. It's pure bliss. *And it would be a real problem if I was allergic to cats. I've had friends who were and they just toughed it out, because no way were they going to spend one day without cats in their lives. I'd be the same way. Life without cats would not be worth living. Or even contemplating.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is apparently telling me to hurry it up with the I/D pate onboarding. She keeps finishing that pile first. I'm not sure how much she ate of the other I/D or I/D-A/D mix this morning. Maybe there's hope for other pates she previously snubbed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is apparently telling me to hurry it up with the I/D pate onboarding. She keeps finishing that pile first. I'm not sure how much she ate of the other I/D or I/D-A/D mix this morning. Maybe there's hope for other pates she previously snubbed.
Oh yes! If there's one thing cats are not, it's consistent in their gastronomic preferences. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind if her preferences change. I just wish that whatever they change to, she would eat enough of it.

Last night, I served her dinner Neapolitan style. She had I/D pate on the left, a mound of pure A/D on the right, and a sloppy mess of spork pre-chewed I/D in the middle. She actually did a very good job of cleaning the ends and leaving the middle. This morning she got the same and did the same. For lunch, I decided to give her a pate sampler exchanging the I/D stew mess for a mound of GI Kitten. In true cat form, she sniffed it, and decided it was nap time instead. Hopefully she'll wake up and do a good job of cleaning two of the three mounds. That's all I really need from her this meal.

Last night, right before bedtime (which would explain why I didn't spend any time taking pictures or trying to analyze it), I stepped on the strangest brown salami/pepperoni. I'm not even sure it came from Betty. It had the thickness, shape, and texture of a cold pepperoni slice. It looked vaguely like maybe cat food. But it picked right up off the carpet like joke vomit. "Betty, if this came from you, we're giving you a WTFreebie on this one." I really should have put it in a baggie and stuck it in the fridge to inspect another time. But instead, it went down the sink. I'm not in any rush to see another one of those again. Whatever it was.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind if her preferences change. I just wish that whatever they change to, she would eat enough of it.

Last night, I served her dinner Neapolitan style. She had I/D pate on the left, a mound of pure A/D on the right, and a sloppy mess of spork pre-chewed I/D in the middle. She actually did a very good job of cleaning the ends and leaving the middle. This morning she got the same and did the same. For lunch, I decided to give her a pate sampler exchanging the I/D stew mess for a mound of GI Kitten. In true cat form, she sniffed it, and decided it was nap time instead. Hopefully she'll wake up and do a good job of cleaning two of the three mounds. That's all I really need from her this meal.

Last night, right before bedtime (which would explain why I didn't spend any time taking pictures or trying to analyze it), I stepped on the strangest brown salami/pepperoni. I'm not even sure it came from Betty. It had the thickness, shape, and texture of a cold pepperoni slice. It looked vaguely like maybe cat food. But it picked right up off the carpet like joke vomit. "Betty, if this came from you, we're giving you a WTFreebie on this one." I really should have put it in a baggie and stuck it in the fridge to inspect another time. But instead, it went down the sink. I'm not in any rush to see another one of those again. Whatever it was.
Well YEAH! That's what I'd do, too. Some things are just too bizarre to dwell on or deal with (or both).
And yeah, if you were presented with that plate, what would YOU leave?
Right. Me too. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging from the first mostly empty breakfast plate since her last mirtz'ing, I think maybe we finally got the mix right. Last night she got a pate sampler for dinner and basically just ate the fudgy A/D. So clearly she still likes the A/D. She just doesn't like the I/D stew as much or taking meds with it. This morning I mixed the I/D pate with the A/D and with 30'ish minutes to spare on breakfast, that plate is looking as clean as I expect it to get. Let's hope this wasn't a fluke.

She got her self-warming pad yesterday. She didn't really discover it until bedtime. There was a moment there where she was laying on it and I could see her debating whether she wanted to stay on it or join me on my shoulder/chest. She joined me on my shoulder/chest. Later in the night when she tried to sleep on my side-sleeping neck or aggressively get into little spoon position, I rolled her over (pin her to my body and the two of us roll over) to the mat. It took a couple of gentle but firm pushes to tell her, "this is where you sleep when I'm already sleeping." But she got it. Until after her first pass on breakfast when she wanted to thank me by painting her breakfast nose on my face. 😽🤦‍♂️ I pushed her back to her pad and she stayed there until I woke up from third sleep. She'll learn. I still want to share that chest/shoulder time with her. But when I roll over to sleep, she needs to not sleep on my head or neck.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging from the first mostly empty breakfast plate since her last mirtz'ing, I think maybe we finally got the mix right. Last night she got a pate sampler for dinner and basically just ate the fudgy A/D. So clearly she still likes the A/D. She just doesn't like the I/D stew as much or taking meds with it. This morning I mixed the I/D pate with the A/D and with 30'ish minutes to spare on breakfast, that plate is looking as clean as I expect it to get. Let's hope this wasn't a fluke.

She got her self-warming pad yesterday. She didn't really discover it until bedtime. There was a moment there where she was laying on it and I could see her debating whether she wanted to stay on it or join me on my shoulder/chest. She joined me on my shoulder/chest. Later in the night when she tried to sleep on my side-sleeping neck or aggressively get into little spoon position, I rolled her over (pin her to my body and the two of us roll over) to the mat. It took a couple of gentle but firm pushes to tell her, "this is where you sleep when I'm already sleeping." But she got it. Until after her first pass on breakfast when she wanted to thank me by painting her breakfast nose on my face. 😽🤦‍♂️ I pushed her back to her pad and she stayed there until I woke up from third sleep. She'll learn. I still want to share that chest/shoulder time with her. But when I roll over to sleep, she needs to not sleep on my head or neck.
Is her pad on her (you might think of it as "your") bed? If your bed's large enough to put it there, she'd get the best of both worlds (and so would you;):biggrin:). Betty is a very accomodating cat. Elvis? He sleeps where he **** well pleases. And I deal with it. And that's fine by me as he owns the place.
Hoping for more PAWSitive gastronomical reports!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her pad on her (you might think of it as "your") bed? If your bed's large enough to put it there, she'd get the best of both worlds (and so would you;):biggrin:). Betty is a very accomodating cat. Elvis? He sleeps where he **** well pleases. And I deal with it. And that's fine by me as he owns the place.
Hoping for more PAWSitive gastronomical reports!
I know dern well that if I want to change Betty's behavior, I have to start where she is and move out from there. So yes, the pad is on the other (right) half of the bed. Sadly, I think we both prefer the left half of the bed. That's where that pin and roll maneuver comes into play. I anticipate we'll argue over this for many nights before a victor emerges. Lunch remainder looked pretty good. Fingers and whiskers crossed that she will continue to enjoy the new mix and that tomorrow's weigh-in says I don't need to mirtz her or worry about her tiny intake.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
She got her self-warming pad yesterday. She didn't really discover it until bedtime. There was a moment there where she was laying on it and I could see her debating whether she wanted to stay on it or join me on my shoulder/chest. She joined me on my shoulder/chest.
The "lure' of human physical contact is so strong with our kitties. It is almost an instinctive habit. Having the physical warmth, and cuddle is too strong.. I really love it, but not when I am sleeping, and Geoffrey has my legs/feet pinned down.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elvis has come to really enjoy getting under the covers, purring, and limpeting to me. I'm a right-side-of-the-bed person, and he'll attach himself to either side, whichever side I'm facing.
*Just don't get your hopes up on winning, daftcat75 daftcat75 :insertevillaugh: Of course by now you know Betty better than to think she'll concede, don't you?:lol:
Looking forward to a good weigh-in!
Awww, that's too bad, artiemom artiemom Cindy! You'd think that would be uncomfortable for Geoffrey, too. *Cats. There's just no figurin' 'em.*:redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump::think:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First week without mirtz: 9.38. I was expecting a dip since her eating dips without mirtz. I will need at least one more week to see if weight loss continues or levels out. She feels alright at this weight.
CA52EDC0-9AF1-4648-9E68-52C79E8ED67E.jpeg 19FEC56A-661A-4392-8BE1-317B5E5762C9.jpeg
She’s liking the blanket a lot. She still wants to sit on my neck or aggressively snuggle when I’m side sleeping. But she’s staying out when I lift and correct her to the pad. I still give her lap time during meals and chest time at bedtime and after her breakfast before third sleep. She still gets plenty of body warmth bonding time. But when I decide it’s time for me to sleep, she’s got decoy warmth that seems acceptable to her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First week without mirtz: 9.38. I was expecting a dip since her eating dips without mirtz. I will need at least one more week to see if weight loss continues or levels out. She feels alright at this weight.
View attachment 464805View attachment 464806
She’s liking the blanket a lot. She still wants to sit on my neck or aggressively snuggle when I’m side sleeping. But she’s staying out when I lift and correct her to the pad. I still give her lap time during meals and chest time at bedtime and after her breakfast before third sleep. She still gets plenty of body warmth bonding time. But when I decide it’s time for me to sleep, she’s got decoy warmth that seems acceptable to her.
She looks great, too -- look at her glossy coat! and she's very svelte. PURRfect, I'd say :hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob::goldstar:
Glad she likes her blanket. Contrary to what some may believe, a nice soft, warm, clean blanket is a girl's best friend. :cloud9:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't really have a lot to post. I feel like she's still not eating enough. But she is still eating. She is starting to feel skinny again. Last Sunday was 9.38. I'm expecting more weight loss. Perhaps 9.1. This morning she took a first pass on breakfast. It sounded like she ate more than she did. She never did take a second pass and I ended up dumping 28 grams of a 35 gram serving. She's been taking her meds okay if I grind up some dry food and cut in half (spare pill cutter) either a kibble piece or a Greenie (sometimes both) and sandwich that capsule between the two halves plus the ground kibble dust. Yeah, it's a bit more work. But it's better than wrestling meds into her. She also takes a healthy first pass on breakfast and dinner with pieces of kibbles stuffed in, stacked on top, and dusted with any powder remaining from her meds. I know I'm putting more dry food in her wet food. But there are meals where I pick lots of pieces of dry out of her uneaten wet food to take an "after" weight to compare with the "before". In other words, even though she's getting access to more dry food which she seems to appreciate, I don't know that I can count on those extra pieces to fill in the remainders of wet food she's leaving. Out of all of this though, I do seem to be seeing more spurts of playful energy out of her--as if the lower weight is suiting her joints better. I don't like feeling her vertebrae and the hollow of her hips as much as I am used to. But if it's better for her, I don't know. It's her joints. I just want her to be happy and to feel like she's eating enough. And less than 3 oz a day doesn't seem like it should be sustaining her. Not that she's leading all that active a life. I'm probably going to have to pull the blankets off her at 3:30 today if she doesn't wake before then.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't really have a lot to post. I feel like she's still not eating enough. But she is still eating. She is starting to feel skinny again. Last Sunday was 9.38. I'm expecting more weight loss. Perhaps 9.1. This morning she took a first pass on breakfast. It sounded like she ate more than she did. She never did take a second pass and I ended up dumping 28 grams of a 35 gram serving. She's been taking her meds okay if I grind up some dry food and cut in half (spare pill cutter) either a kibble piece or a Greenie (sometimes both) and sandwich that capsule between the two halves plus the ground kibble dust. Yeah, it's a bit more work. But it's better than wrestling meds into her. She also takes a healthy first pass on breakfast and dinner with pieces of kibbles stuffed in, stacked on top, and dusted with any powder remaining from her meds. I know I'm putting more dry food in her wet food. But there are meals where I pick lots of pieces of dry out of her uneaten wet food to take an "after" weight to compare with the "before". In other words, even though she's getting access to more dry food which she seems to appreciate, I don't know that I can count on those extra pieces to fill in the remainders of wet food she's leaving. Out of all of this though, I do seem to be seeing more spurts of playful energy out of her--as if the lower weight is suiting her joints better. I don't like feeling her vertebrae and the hollow of her hips as much as I am used to. But if it's better for her, I don't know. It's her joints. I just want her to be happy and to feel like she's eating enough. And less than 3 oz a day doesn't seem like it should be sustaining her. Not that she's leading all that active a life. I'm probably going to have to pull the blankets off her at 3:30 today if she doesn't wake before then.
The mfrs. of wet food pretty much say 1 oz. per lb. of cat weight daily. Of course, most, if not all, cats would be gorkers if that was adhered to. But less than 3 oz. a day? BETTY! What are you doing, catching mice behind your dad's back??? That's bizarre. Elvis weighs around 12 lbs. (that was his weight when he joined us. I don't weigh him, but that seems about right and his physique is "just right" going by the looking-down-from-above cat weight chart) and on a good day, eats around 8 1/2 oz. plus whatever dry he grazes on and around a dozen Feline Greenies. He maintains his physique very well. He was starting to thin out a bit -- probably loss of muscle mass, as he's 16 -- and I started pushing lunches on him. It's working fairly well. He is definitely a social eater. He'll invariably join me when I'm eating.
Sounds like a nice, friendly but firm talk with Betty might be needed? It's all very well for her to have "spurts of playful energy." That's really nice. But she's clearly slacking on her food. :hearthrob: :angrycat::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purrfection! I made her A/D to I/D pate mix slightly richer this week (about 1:1 now) and let her have more kibble pieces a day. She’s been eating more than she’s leaving and her weigh-in would suggest that we found her happy weight (9.44). 😸👍 No mirtz required.
B693E7D4-E161-429A-80CF-7A47F874276E.jpeg 1A09EF9C-2242-4FAE-B463-E1F22B1E26CC.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purrfection! I made her A/D to I/D pate mix slightly richer this week (about 1:1 now) and let her have more kibble pieces a day. She’s been eating more than she’s leaving and her weigh-in would suggest that we found her happy weight (9.44). 😸👍 No mirtz required.
View attachment 465358View attachment 465359
Is that the BEST news or what?!! :yess::goldstar::hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob::clap:
Sounds like an occasion to celebrate at the taproom. And at home.