Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“Eats. Not treats.”

That’s my new response to her twice daily pushy routine. It might be working. While dinner was still a disappointing 2/3 remainder. Second dinner fell to an encouraging 1/4 remainder. Breakfast is looking half eaten. I think if she makes one more pass before lunch, she can get to 1/3 remainder. As long as she’s eating more than she’s leaving behind, I’m willing to put off the wet willy another day.
Good UPdate. Keep up the good work, Betty. Good actions yield better results.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Picked up the bupe this afternoon. Really wanted to peel back the covers on her afternoon nap and ambush her with her first dose. But I also want to wait another day to see how Eats Not Treats shakes out. I feel like I’m always too quick to react and not waiting long enough to see how changes take.

And honestly, after two years, I still don't know what the right amount of food for her is.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Picked up the bupe this afternoon. Really wanted to peel back the covers on her afternoon nap and ambush her with her first dose. But I also want to wait another day to see how Eats Not Treats shakes out. I feel like I’m always too quick to react and not waiting long enough to see how changes take.

And honestly, after two years, I still don't know what the right amount of food for her is.
I empathize about "too quick to react and not waiting long enough to see how changes take." ALWAYS in a rush. That's one big reason why I have insomnia. Laying there overthinking, for hours. It's terrible. And yeah, always wanting/needing to get it right, whatever "it" is, especially if it concerns a cat.
Glad you've got the bupe.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s still pooping more than I think she’s eating. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Nothing wrong with them. Look good. Low odor. But where is the input coming from? 🧐

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner: half remained
Second dinner: half remained
Breakfast: she did better, but 1/3 remained.

She’s still eating. But this doesn’t seem like enough.

At lunch time, I ambushed her with a bupe shot (shot like liquor, not like vaccine.) She took it rather well. And now we wait to see if she eats better over lunch and dinner. This dose should take us well into dinner. She can have another before bedtime if this is working for her.

Admittedly, I have my doubts over just how much she really needs to eat considering our previous concern was weight gain. But I want to see if we can find a stable spot for her. If she reaches a healthy weight and stays there, then I won’t be in too much of a rush to fatten her back up. I guess as long as she’s still eating and not having any more spits, I want to see where she shakes out. Almost two years with her and I still don’t know how much I should be feeding her and how little is too little for her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner: half remained
Second dinner: half remained
Breakfast: she did better, but 1/3 remained.

She’s still eating. But this doesn’t seem like enough.

At lunch time, I ambushed her with a bupe shot (shot like liquor, not like vaccine.) She took it rather well. And now we wait to see if she eats better over lunch and dinner. This dose should take us well into dinner. She can have another before bedtime if this is working for her.

Admittedly, I have my doubts over just how much she really needs to eat considering our previous concern was weight gain. But I want to see if we can find a stable spot for her. If she reaches a healthy weight and stays there, then I won’t be in too much of a rush to fatten her back up. I guess as long as she’s still eating and not having any more spits, I want to see where she shakes out. Almost two years with her and I still don’t know how much I should be feeding her and how little is too little for her.
Well, unfortunately, 50 years probably wouldn't be more enlightening, because cats aren't consistent eaters. They just aren't. The only cat I've ever known who was, was my roomies' cat, who was fed exactly the same thing (Science Diet wet & dry, mixed) every time, and who was obese and unhealthy, probably largely as a result of this (awful) vet-prescribed "diet" :headshake:
What I've always done is to feed set amounts morning, noon (if they've finished morning meal) and night, a varied diet of high quality wet food. And yes, they have high quality dry free choice as a second choice. Fresh water available at all times. This has been my formula for success for life. Sometimes they eat it all. Sometimes very little. Mostly, with Elvis, it's somewhere in the middle, and he comes back and grazes, which is normal feline behavior. Works for us, even though I, like you, worry whenever there is left over food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unfortunately, 50 years probably wouldn't be more enlightening, because cats aren't consistent eaters. They just aren't. The only cat I've ever known who was, was my roomies' cat, who was fed exactly the same thing (Science Diet wet & dry, mixed) every time, and who was obese and unhealthy, probably largely as a result of this (awful) vet-prescribed "diet" :headshake:
What I've always done is to feed set amounts morning, noon (if they've finished morning meal) and night, a varied diet of high quality wet food. And yes, they have high quality dry free choice as a second choice. Fresh water available at all times. This has been my formula for success for life. Sometimes they eat it all. Sometimes very little. Mostly, with Elvis, it's somewhere in the middle, and he comes back and grazes, which is normal feline behavior. Works for us, even though I, like you, worry whenever there is left over food.
When Krista's IBD was well-managed between episodes of tooth resorption, she would finish her plates in a timely manner. When she was eating raw, she would show up on the kitchen counter, eat her portion until the plate was clean, and then go back to her very important cat business until the next meal. When I was giving her canned, she often showed up for a first pass. If she didn't finish it on the first pass, the remainder didn't stay on the plate very long. It was when she was leaving remainders that I was often calling up the vet to beg for another dental. "Yes, I know we just did one. Tooth resorption doesn't happen on your schedule."

I liked it a lot better when Betty's first passes were a lot bigger (sometimes even finishing the plate in one go) and she didn't often need more than a second pass to finish the plate. When she was on steroids, I don't remember worrying about her eating (other than her getting fat.) Her passes are a lot smaller than they used to be. I also see her eating with her paw again. This suggests to me that either nausea, but more likely pain, is holding her back since she's still taking ondansetron twice a day. If she is having pain, this might also explain why she's being more reserved about her meds lately often taking a number of tries to take them up.

Last I left her, she was looking like she was enjoying the bupe buzz, and not at all motivated to eat yet. She can take more time if she wants. I just need to see if the bupe improves the amount she eats. The frequency is still up to her. That would require a wet willy to adjust that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Krista's IBD was well-managed between episodes of tooth resorption, she would finish her plates in a timely manner. When she was eating raw, she would show up on the kitchen counter, eat her portion until the plate was clean, and then go back to her very important cat business until the next meal. When I was giving her canned, she often showed up for a first pass. If she didn't finish it on the first pass, the remainder didn't stay on the plate very long. It was when she was leaving remainders that I was often calling up the vet to beg for another dental. "Yes, I know we just did one. Tooth resorption doesn't happen on your schedule."

I liked it a lot better when Betty's first passes were a lot bigger (sometimes even finishing the plate in one go) and she didn't often need more than a second pass to finish the plate. When she was on steroids, I don't remember worrying about her eating (other than her getting fat.) Her passes are a lot smaller than they used to be. I also see her eating with her paw again. This suggests to me that either nausea, but more likely pain, is holding her back since she's still taking ondansetron twice a day. If she is having pain, this might also explain why she's being more reserved about her meds lately often taking a number of tries to take them up.

Last I left her, she was looking like she was enjoying the bupe buzz, and not at all motivated to eat yet. She can take more time if she wants. I just need to see if the bupe improves the amount she eats. The frequency is still up to her. That would require a wet willy to adjust that.
Yeah. It may take a little time. Sure sounds like she will benefit from that dental. Hoping it works out for her to keep that appointment.
None of these things should ever happen to any cat. :sigh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t seen her start on lunch yet. But wow! This cat is feeling no pain. I saw her hopping and running towards me when she usually just does an Eeyore slow walk. Hopefully she’ll start in on lunch and realize her mouth doesn’t hurt. Hopefully. 🤞

I’m hoping we can keep the dental first. I’m also hoping they find something that can be extracted and provide her relief.

I am thinking I may also try Solensia with her after all since bupe isn’t sustainable. Solensia may not be sustainable either. But I want to see more of this no pain Betty for as long as it does work.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t seen her start on lunch yet. But wow! This cat is feeling no pain. I saw her hopping and running towards me when she usually just does an Eeyore slow walk. Hopefully she’ll start in on lunch and realize her mouth doesn’t hurt. Hopefully. 🤞

I’m hoping we can keep the dental first. I’m also hoping they find something that can be extracted and provide her relief.

I am thinking I may also try Solensia with her after all since bupe isn’t sustainable. Solensia may not be sustainable either. But I want to see more of this no pain Betty for as long as it does work.
Well, yeah, of course, but with no harmful side effects/long term effects/total and complete emptying of the wallet.😑

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yeah, of course, but with no harmful side effects/long term effects/total and complete emptying of the wallet.😑
I suppose I should check with insurance. Because yeah. That’s a pricey subscription without help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose I should check with insurance. Because yeah. That’s a pricey subscription without help.
Is there a way to do that without being penalized for it? because I've heard that that's an aftereffect of contacting insurance in some instances (though I don't know if this is true or not).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to do that without being penalized for it? because I've heard that that's an aftereffect of contacting insurance in some instances (though I don't know if this is true or not).
I sent an email. If they penalize me for an inquiry, I’ll go directly to the Better Business Bureau.

Well. The bupe was a bust. She may be feeling no pain. But she’s also feeling no hunger. Lunch went untouched. At dinner she wouldn’t take her meds. She didn’t even want the tiny tray of cake frosting that I use to dip her meds and whatever is left goes to her starter strip on dinner. 😾So yeah. Zero appetite. I’m not going to wet willy her for this. I’ll just let her roll off it and we should see some eating activity around bedtime. Hopefully she’ll let me give her a gabapentin later so she doesn’t have to go all night without one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent an email. If they penalize me for an inquiry, I’ll go directly to the Better Business Bureau.

Well. The bupe was a bust. She may be feeling no pain. But she’s also feeling no hunger. Lunch went untouched. At dinner she wouldn’t take her meds. She didn’t even want the tiny tray of cake frosting that I use to dip her meds and whatever is left goes to her starter strip on dinner. 😾So yeah. Zero appetite. I’m not going to wet willy her for this. I’ll just let her roll off it and we should see some eating activity around bedtime. Hopefully she’ll let me give her a gabapentin later so she doesn’t have to go all night without one.
Oh noes! *C'mon, Betty!*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave her a couple NW Naturals raw rabbit nibbles. They are freeze dried raw like Stella and Chewy but smaller size. Like a couple of berries. So she ate something tonight. Now I’m just going to let her ride it out. She keeps looking to the food plate like she’s almost hungry again. But not yet. I buped her at noon. This is her first dose in nine months. It may take up to twelve hours to wash out of her. I’m not going to fuss anymore over her tonight. I’ll change out her dinner whether she eats it or not at second dinner time and maybe by morning she’ll sober up and have a nibble. I don’t dare give her any more of those raw rabbit berries until she’s had another poop. Bupe can constipate her. Raw rabbit with bone can constipate her. A/D can get her moving again. Hopefully by morning she’ll want her cake frosting and meds again.

Ugh. She’s restless and wiggly like a cat stoned on bupe. She wants to sleep and can’t. She thinks about eating but doesn’t. Poor girl.

I may try this again. But at a lower dose. I didn’t realize how much pain she was in until I saw her running and playing on her own without pain. Even though she’s not hungry for food, she bounced up the Katris to the counter to give me an earful about a treat.

Maybe I just take away the I/D lunch and leave some raw rabbit berries for her. It would probably fit better with her daytime appetite. She wouldn’t need as much because it’s calorically dense like dry food. It’s something to try.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. By 9pm, she finally visited her plate. At that time, I think she realized she had skipped the gabapentin.😿

She took about a bite or two and walked away. But at least she was hungry again. That meant I was able to get her to take her gabapentin and ondansetron with a little bit of extra cake frosting. 😼

Whew! We survived The Bupening! 😸

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. By 9pm, she finally visited her plate. At that time, I think she realized she had skipped the gabapentin.😿

She took about a bite or two and walked away. But at least she was hungry again. That meant I was able to get her to take her gabapentin and ondansetron with a little bit of extra cake frosting. 😼

Whew! We survived The Bupening! 😸
Relieved. That's good news. Hopefully Betty is back on the road to normalcy, eating-wise...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s probably because she skipped lunch and dinner. But second dinner was a clean plate by morning. Breakfast looks like a sweaty mess well on its way to completion. If she takes one more pass…

I am thinking the gabapentin doesn’t last her twelve hours and that if it’s only lasting eight hours, she’s running out by lunch. That could explain why she spends so much of lunch buried in her blanket fort.

I gave her a rabbit nugget with a drop of Vitality Science’s hemp oil. I think a drop has to be not enough. But that’s their recommended dose. Let’s start there. I actually bought this one because the dose was small enough to hide on a treat. And that’s exactly what I’m doing. I put the drop on top of the rabbit nugget and she eats both without question. She’ll get another nugget with a drop of hemp oil at lunch. Let’s see if that makes any difference. And if she’s pooping again soon, we can see about replacing or supplementing her lunch with a few more of these nuggets. But we’ll take that one slowly. Eats. Not treats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s probably because she skipped lunch and dinner. But second dinner was a clean plate by morning. Breakfast looks like a sweaty mess well on its way to completion. If she takes one more pass…

I am thinking the gabapentin doesn’t last her twelve hours and that if it’s only lasting eight hours, she’s running out by lunch. That could explain why she spends so much of lunch buried in her blanket fort.

I gave her a rabbit nugget with a drop of Vitality Science’s hemp oil. I think a drop has to be not enough. But that’s their recommended dose. Let’s start there. I actually bought this one because the dose was small enough to hide on a treat. And that’s exactly what I’m doing. I put the drop on top of the rabbit nugget and she eats both without question. She’ll get another nugget with a drop of hemp oil at lunch. Let’s see if that makes any difference. And if she’s pooping again soon, we can see about replacing or supplementing her lunch with a few more of these nuggets. But we’ll take that one slowly. Eats. Not treats.
Yeah, preferably eats. And THEN maybe treats. Good UPdate. So far, so good!
They should have timed-release gabapentin.