Introducing An Older Cat?

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! It's been quiet in my house, so it's been awhile since I posted. I unexpectedly agreed to take in a new cat, and I'm looking for advice. Shes an older cat, at 10 years, while mine are both about 2 years old. I just got her today, but I'm worried she won't mesh with the household. Not because of mine, but because of her. I just need to know how to handle a very standoffish cat. She growls and hisses at me when I so much as look at her. I put down food and water and her litter box in a separate room, I plan on taking introductions very slowly. Ive just kind of been hanging with her and leaving her to do her thing because I dont want to push it. I'm just not really sure how to go about everything because I've never had to introduce a new one before. My current two are thick as thieves, but I got them together as kittens. Any advice would be welcomed!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying! I'm just anxious because my other two are the only other cats I've ever owned, so I'm a little unsure how to handle the fear/aggression towards me!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try the music, also I think just leave her be for a little while other than dealing with the essentials of food etc. She needs time to get her mind around things at your house, sounds, smells, activity, who sounds like what, this smell means that, and that nothing is like it was at her other place

Then in a little while you can start sitting on the floor with her, without looking at her, and read to her or work on your computer. A few treats might help but don't have any expectations.
She'll come around, just hang in there with her and allow her the space and time to think it all through and work it out :)
Giving her that here at the beginning will pay huge dividends :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This is kind of 'iffy' advice, so I would totally understand if you didn't want to try. But, if the previous owner is still around, and this cat and the owner had a good relationship, perhaps have them over to your house to spend time with you - and your new cat? Maybe if the cat sees that you are friends with her old owner, she will accept you easier? I know, it is a 'iffy' proposition...

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortubately, they're not. She belonged to my boyfriends sister, who got her from a shelter. His sister never got really attached to her, and she ended up moving to a place that doesn't allow animals, which is how I got her. Which I'm sure is adding to the fear, being moved from shelter to new owner to ANOTHER new owner. I hope to be her final move, though.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: She has progressed with me a bit. She still keeps herself generally confined to the corner of the room, but she played with a wand toy with me, and in the morning when my alarm went off she jumped on the bed meowing and headhunting me.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still want to keep you guys updated on her progress! Nora is doing great. She has become quite affectionate with me. I did discover quite by accident that she does NOT like her paws being touched. She was next to me while I was laying down, and I just sort of let my hand rest and it touched her paw. She hissed and put her teeth on my hand (although she didnt bite down), and she looked quite contrite afterwards. I've briefly opened the door a couple of times for her and my other two to see each other. Zelda is cautious, but not aggressive. Shes content to sit and stare from a safe distance, as is Nora. Freya, on the other hand, took it upon herself to trot right into the room where I've been keeping Nora and proceed to investigate everything that smelled like new cat, and completely ignored the hisses and growls her proximity illicited from Nora.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm allowing the cats to spend quite a bit of time together. Freya and Zelda are fairly indifferent towards Nora, but she's still skittish towards them. She crept up on Freya while she was sleeping to sniff at her, and freaked when she was caught. Freya was mostly just confused. Also, she came to really cuddle with me for the first time today! She's not hesitant about letting you know when she's done with being pet, even if she isn't done cuddling. She'll growl deep in her throat, which still kind of freaks me out.