Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Introducing An Older Cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by freyaandzelda, Nov 8, 2018.

1. freyaandzelda

freyaandzelda Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 15, 2015
    Hello all! It's been quiet in my house, so it's been awhile since I posted. I unexpectedly agreed to take in a new cat, and I'm looking for advice. Shes an older cat, at 10 years, while mine are both about 2 years old. I just got her today, but I'm worried she won't mesh with the household. Not because of mine, but because of her. I just need to know how to handle a very standoffish cat. She growls and hisses at me when I so much as look at her. I put down food and water and her litter box in a separate room, I plan on taking introductions very slowly. Ive just kind of been hanging with her and leaving her to do her thing because I dont want to push it. I'm just not really sure how to go about everything because I've never had to introduce a new one before. My current two are thick as thieves, but I got them together as kittens. Any advice would be welcomed!!

Furballsmom purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    freyaandzelda purraised this.

3. freyaandzelda

Aug 15, 2015
    Thanks for replying! I'm just anxious because my other two are the only other cats I've ever owned, so I'm a little unsure how to handle the fear/aggression towards me!

Furballsmom purraised this.

4. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Try the music, also I think just leave her be for a little while other than dealing with the essentials of food etc. She needs time to get her mind around things at your house, sounds, smells, activity, who sounds like what, this smell means that, and that nothing is like it was at her other place

Then in a little while you can start sitting on the floor with her, without looking at her, and read to her or work on your computer. A few treats might help but don't have any expectations.
    She'll come around, just hang in there with her and allow her the space and time to think it all through and work it out :)
    Giving her that here at the beginning will pay huge dividends :redheartpump:

freyaandzelda purraised this.

5. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    FL/Orig: OH
    Hi. This is kind of 'iffy' advice, so I would totally understand if you didn't want to try. But, if the previous owner is still around, and this cat and the owner had a good relationship, perhaps have them over to your house to spend time with you - and your new cat? Maybe if the cat sees that you are friends with her old owner, she will accept you easier? I know, it is a 'iffy' proposition...

freyaandzelda and Furballsmom purraised this.

6. freyaandzelda

Aug 15, 2015
    Unfortubately, they're not. She belonged to my boyfriends sister, who got her from a shelter. His sister never got really attached to her, and she ended up moving to a place that doesn't allow animals, which is how I got her. Which I'm sure is adding to the fear, being moved from shelter to new owner to ANOTHER new owner. I hope to be her final move, though.

Furballsmom and FeebysOwner purraised this.

7. freyaandzelda

Aug 15, 2015
    Update: She has progressed with me a bit. She still keeps herself generally confined to the corner of the room, but she played with a wand toy with me, and in the morning when my alarm went off she jumped on the bed meowing and headhunting me.

FeebysOwner and Furballsmom purraised this.

8. Furballsmom

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Wow, that's wonderful!!