Introducing Advice

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have this kitten 3 months old or so, and I'm about to get another kitten for him to have a playing mate since I don't have enough time for his great playful energy.

I have introduced a kitten to an older kitten (5 months) and I did it gradually they didn't get along for like 10-14 days.
so when I get this kitten, would it be possible to introduce then to each other immediately? without those procedures that I had to do before?
I'm not saying that because I am too lazy to do it or being careless, actually I don't have enough time nor room to do so, I mean I will do it if I have to but would be difficult.

since young kittens adjust with each other faster, would that be enough information for me to just let them be in one room and they will get used to each other?

please tell me what's best and what's just possible

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put some type of gate on the door, or stack 2 baby gates?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never introduced cats, so only know what I've read here, but from the various threads I've read, I know it is extremely frustrating when 2 cats in the same household do not get along. And it isn't just scrapping. Bullying can occur which can cause one of the cats to stop using the litterbox.

Because your kitten is still young, and you're considering getting another kitten, maybe you might get away with a quick introduction, but be prepared to do the official introductions if they don't become friends right away.

Here are the TCS articles that address cat introductions.
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
The Multi-cat Household
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought the new kitten home.
she doesn't seem to care about the fact that there is another kitten already and she seems pretty comfortable here.
the resident kitten is not quite comfortable, he's constantly hissing and growling and trying to attack the new kitty but the weird thing when she looks at him he gt scared and stand down, apparently the resident kitten isn't brave enough to attack or fight the new one, and the new one is brave enough to stare at him while he tries to attack without even standing up.

what do you think? is it going well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey,
It's been three days, and now the hissing and growling have considerably decreased, but still the resident kitten won't leave the new kitty alone, he'd jump at her any time he sees her move, she screams and try to get away from him but he won't let her.

I've been told that it's hard to know either they're playing or fighting.
if it's how they're supposed to play, then it's just the resident kitten who wants to play 'cause the new one would never engage such activities with him and she doesn't seem to like it.

can anyone tell me if it's okay or should I do something?
is it playing or fighting?