Introducing Adult Females

Milknhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there -
It’s my first post. I just lost my female Maine Coon (pictured) of 16 years to CHF. My partner moved in with me last month & he has a 4.5 year old female named Luna. She’s done well with the transition of moving but I imagine she hasn’t fully become territorial of this place as it’s still New & probably smells of my old cat.

Luna is very friendly & social. She loves to go for “walks” in the halls of our building & to “high five” all the other building’s cats under the doors. She even brought another cat inside the apartment with her once. She seems to really like cats & want a buddy.

I am obviously heartbroken after losing my cat. And I am eager to adopt another one. Luna is wonderful but she’s bonded with my partner & it’s so hard to not have that close bond with a cat. Because personality is very important to me, I don’t necessarily want a kitten. And I’m very much interested in adopting a female.

My friend has been fostering a 5 year old female named Bubbles and I’m very much in love with her. She’s super docile. She just had kittens roughly 2 months ago.

The folks at the shelter are saying that you should never integrate adult females & that you especially shouldn’t do so after they’ve had babies.

Here are my questions :
- Am I insane to try to introduce to young adult females?
- Does the fact that Bubbles recently had kittens have any bearing on how well she’d do with another cat?
- is there anything special I should do considering they’re adult females that differs from the normal integration process?

I’d love any feedback from experienced cat owners - especially those who’ve suscessfully integrated adult females.

Thanks in advance!
- Danielle

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome - we're glad you're here!!

"Never" is a very strong word, so no, I don't think your insane :). Females can tend to be more territorial though, that's true.

The kittens have been weaned and are gone? Has Bubbles been spayed? Has Luna been spayed? If not, you will want to take care of that aspect of things.

Try some MusicForCats . com or the app Relax My Cat, and take a look at this;

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milknhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes! Great questions. Thanks for asking. The kittens are weaned and have been gone a couple weeks. Both are sprayed. Bubbles has been in foster care with my friend since her kittens were taken.

I’ve read LOTS about integrating cats. We have multiple bedrooms to allow for safe spaces, a super tall baby gate for later in the process & are fully prepared for it to take at least a month or two.

I’m mostly just shocked by the shelter’s response to my wanting to adopt another female. They seem to think that only males can integrate with females. And I’m interested in talking with others who have experience before I make a decision.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only have experienced with introducing males, but one of my good friends is currently introducing two females. We both thought it’d be a process, since one of them is a tortie! But sometimes, it really boils down to personality. She made sure to pick a chill female.

They are actually free-roaming now after only a week with no fights and only minor territory disputes! Meanwhile, our new boy is still not going over the best with our others after a few months.

According to my friend, she put window seats in every room of her house and it’s really helped with them figuring out territory.

The lady who does my nails also has 3 female cats, and they didn’t have a problem with integrating!

Milknhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding! I anticipate that it might be difficult. And that’s ok. :)

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I introduced my two adult girls, Chilli and Chai, with relative ease. It took about a month to complete the introductions, but that was mostly because Chai was semiferal and stayed in her safe room for a while while she learned to trust me. We had lots of staring, a little hissing, and no growling or spats. Both cats had calm and sweet personalities. Chilli, the original cat, is friendly but more independent and dominant with other cats - Chai was very submissive, mellow, and cuddly. Chai absolutely fell in love with Chilli, and was very respectful of her as the dominant cat, enduring many swats at first. Chilli eventually let her sleep next to her and groomed her occasionally, and they played together often. Chai would purr if Chilli so much as looked at her. They weren’t inseparable besties (well, in Chai’s mind they were!) but they got along perfectly well, hung out near each other all day, and definitely benefited from one another’s company.

I took my time introducing them and used LOTS of treats, toys, and catnip. :) However, both of them had lived with other cats before, which I think was helpful. If your Luna already likes other cats, I think that’s promising! Personally, I would definitely give it a go. After Chai died, Chilli was noticeably lonely. I introduced a female kitten and it took barely a couple days for Chilli to accept her. That’s a kitten, of course, but still two females. The kitten is now almost 8 months old, and the two are very friendly and wrestle and groom each other all the time.

Chilli and Chai:
D78669AC-B926-429E-B032-E65A8067E11D.jpeg

F03AB6F9-0BDD-42C4-A4F2-968169D6950F.jpeg

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take several months, you never know, but from the info I'd go for it too. With the info Luna likes other cats, that is a great starter. Bubbles is an unknown obviously.
I have never introduced two female cats, but I have had female cats who were submissive to the other male cat and not territorial (which is the case with my current two.) It comes down to personality in the end IMHO.
As all the articles, patience and going at the cats' speed are factors to keep in mind.
Would like to hear how it goes if you decide to!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst (long running relationship) of cats that lived to fight in a serious manner I've ever lived with were a male and a female, about 2 months apart, that grew up together from kitten hood.
We have 4 girls. They're in colonies, 2 girls each, and within them the girls in one get along great, and the others tolerate one another. There's some minor hissing and annoyed stare-offs but usually they sleep next to each other and groom each other, so it can certainly be done. Most of the time, two female cats aren't the best of friends but sometimes they are.
I don't quite get the shelters stance on this. Households all across the globe have introduced a female cat into a house containing an established female cat and everyone is fine. (And not a lot of people go to the trouble of doing scent swapping. They put the new cat in a bathroom, wait until their existing cat doesn't look like a Halloween cat and stops spitting at everything that moves then let the new cat out and whatever happens, happens.) Like I said, we have four girls, and one of them is bullied...by a male.
I think it'll be fine :wave3:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two female cats - Saipha and Mishka. Admittedly, I introduced them when Mishka was a kitten and Saipha a year old. After a little bit of hissing from Saipha, they bonded and are best friends now. Mishka absolutely adores Saipha and always looks for her after a nap for some quality mutual grooming time.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've worked at and volunteered at shelters for years -- and I find this SUCH a fascinating subject. I can honestly say that I've rarely found the sexes of the cats to be much of an issue (assuming both are fixed) - - in my experience the personality/temperament of the individual cats is one of the two biggest factors - - the other being how they're introduced. In the app. 25 kittens/cats I've had the pleasure of living with, and the over 125 or so we've fostered and helped home, I've never found a pattern (again - as long as everyone's fixed!) regarding sex.

I know some people swear "I never adopt more than one male at a time" - - but I know just as many who say "I never adopt more than one female at a time." When I'm helping adopt, and I hear that, usually if I dig a little about why the adopter feels that way, it comes back to a specific experience they've had at some point with cats they've had (or friends have had). With a good, sloooooow, calm introduction (and lots of love and patience) --I think any combo's possible!

Milknhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback. Just before adoption, Bubbles was held for medical reasons. She hasn't been doing so well since she's been spayed & is now back in foster care with my friend. However, I proceeded in adopting a young 14 month old female from a different shelter a few days ago. Interestingly, this shelter made me fill out an application, write an essay on my integration plan & conducted an interview with me - but never at any point did they scoff at the idea of two females living happily together. So strange!

I have the new kitty [yet unnamed] quarantined to my room with intermittent free-reign times in the house. Luna is curious & confused. They've seen each other quite a few times. Luna has hissed a couple times but the new kitty is super happy & just purrs away - clearly very excited to meet Luna. I plan on going very slow. But I feel like it's a great match. The new kitty is very happy, kind & polite. She doesn't even play with her claws out! She's the quintessential beta cat - which seems like a great match for my friendly alpha girl at home. I don't think she'll ever have any interest in challenging for territory, sleeping spots, etc. She just wants to roll around and purr.

I don't know why the shelter was so adamant in preventing me from adopting a female. It makes me sad to think how many good homes *weren't* found because they didn't educate people properly. I believe it's important to tell people that cats are cats - and nothing you do will guarantee any of their behaviors. All you can do is love them & do your best to meet their needs. But gender is definitely not the biggest indicator of success. I think cat personality & cat owner attentiveness are. Ah well. I gave a new kitty a home and I'm doing my best to love both my girls.

I really appreciate this community & all their kind words.

And here's the new kitty...

Attachments

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
They've seen each other quite a few times. Luna has hissed a couple times but the new kitty is super happy & just purrs away - clearly very excited to meet Luna. I plan on going very slow. But I feel like it's a great match. The new kitty is very happy, kind & polite. She doesn't even play with her claws out! She's the quintessential beta cat - which seems like a great match for my friendly alpha girl at home. I don't think she'll ever have any interest in challenging for territory, sleeping spots, etc. She just wants to roll around and purr.
Very nice. That is the personality of Mooshoo, my 13 month old. It's been very cool how she deals with Waffles (who is a very nice kitty too, but has his moments.) So good to hear good news.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah!!!!!! Both Luna and Bubbles are BOTH gorgeous - - and VERY lucky to have such caring, smart, loving thoughtful and considerate guardians!!!!! I agree -- I hate to think how many adult cats don't find homes because of people's ignorance (even those running the adoptions at shelters) regarding "what gets along with what." I know many shelters are very cautious about who they adopt to (unfortunately, sometimes to the point of being off-putting - particularly if not explained WHY they're screening carefully - - -but I have to say "writing an essay" was a new one for me! And I've been employed at multiple shelters -- - some cat-specific. A landlord phone call, a mandatory meeting with any children that will be in the house, even a home check I get - - - but an essay? Like you - - I can only imagine how many wonderful adopters are put off by this -- and be things like "no female +female adult adoptions".....breaks my heart.

I obviously more than 10,000% agree with your assessment and think you stated it quite well - - - that it's cat personality and owner attentiveness (and I'd still add introduction technique) that are the best indicators in how happy your household will ultimately be. I think you, your partner and your two gorgeous babies have a long, happy road ahead!!!! I think the only issue - - -you might need more kitties :) I'd certainly be thrilled to have someone like you adopt any of my fosters!!!!!

And here are two pics of three of ours - introduced as adult females - - and Flick, the grey one, was a feral we socialized - - -pretty much blows away the "2 females bad" out of the water :heartshape:. They couldn't snuggle any tighter when they slept - hard to see where Ally ends and Flick - the grey - begins! We lost Ally - the lh tiger - last year at 19 years of age - - but until then, she and Flick were best buds right off the bat!!! And the other pic (ignore the unmade bed) is Ally and Moo - also both females, who loved each other dearly (we lost Moo a few months ago at 18). So "fi" from me on two females won't work!

Keep us posted on your guys - - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to be kept up!

ally and moo snuggle.jpg