Introducing adult cats..

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

so I’m looking for a little advice. My boyfriend and I are moving in together. I have two adult cats (male, female, 4 years old adopted as a bonded pair) and he has one cat (male, about 3 years old.) we had one instance where the three of them interacted (his cat got into the “safe” room we made for my cats,) it was mayhem. I want to work on their relationships slowly, as all the experts say to do. I’m just curious if anyone has ever had any luck introducing an adult cat to a bonded pair of adult cats. I’m nervous they will not get along and rehoming any of them would be devastating.
Thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
So, are you swapping scents back and forth with favorite blankets, or even just gently rubbing a cloth, or one or two if your worn unwashed socks (bfs and yours) on each of them repeatedly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
So, are you swapping scents back and forth with favorite blankets, or even just gently rubbing a cloth, or one or two if your worn unwashed socks (bfs and yours) on each of them repeatedly?
So I haven’t tried this yet! I am not moving for about a month and a half. Is this something I would benefit doing sooner rather than later?

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok great! Should it be the same items? For example: I rub a cloth on my two cats and use that same one on his? Or different ones for each individual.
I appreciate your help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The same, for example if you and your bf can wear the same Tshirt, then don't wash it, then rub it on one cat, then the second cat, the third cat and round and round between the three cats a few times.

If they have favorite blankets or pillows they sleep on, swap those between the houses several times.

You will still need to proceed with a safe room for the cat(s) who is moving and utilize introduction methods but this way, that process should be shorter and easier. Calming products and Cat Music may also help when everyone is together :)

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're here for any questions you have as you go through this, and we're rooting for all of you :)!

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're here for any questions you have as you go through this, and we're rooting for all of you :)!
So I’ve started the scent swapping. My cats seem to have no interest. They’ll give it a quick sniff or two and walk away. His cat really gets his nose in there. For a solid minute. He will get up and stand there with his mouth open. He’s an energetic cat and my boyfriend says he stand with his mouth open before he “attacks” him. It’s more like he gives best hugs. No claws. But he does play aggressively with my boyfriend. He doesn’t hiss or growl.
I’m guess I’m just curious if either reaction is good or bad. My cats don’t seem to mind/notice the smell much, and his notices it but I can’t tell if it’s a positive reaction or not.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're rubbing the cloth on all of them? I'm thinking their reaction is neither here nor there, but do continue with it :) the idea is not just to introduce the different scents to them (their noses) but to transfer all the scents to each cat (onto their coats).

Last edited:

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just moved today. I moved into the house that one cat lived in already. He started hissing at the door almost instantly.

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I bought some of the feliway diffusers. I only plugged them in about 3 days ago. So here’s hoping they work. I expected this to be a challenge, but I guess I didn’t expect the resident cat to react that way. He didn’t even see the cats, he could only smell them. He was stalking the door for a little while, but he seems to be over it for now. I think I’ll have my work cut out for me, but I’m keeping an open mind.

I’m feeling a little bit of guilt, like I just brought my cats into an unhappy situation. They’re very timid/shy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there with this. Go gently with your two - they will do just fine in a room by themselves for a while. Keep us posted as to what happens, I'm sending all sorts of good thoughts your way!!

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So all has been going well for the last week. We started scent swapping, then I started feeding them on each side of the door. So today we tried to feed them wet food with gates across. I used a blanket to cover and lifted it just a little. Only my male cat would come out, my female cat wouldn’t. But my male cat and the resident cat were able to eat and look at each other in peace for a minute or too. But then my cat got a
Little too close to sniff him, and the resident cat hissed, mine jumped and I gasped (unsure if that’s what startled my boy to begin with) This caused my cat to run away under the bed. I am not getting discouraged, I know a hiss or two is okay. And it’s only day 1 of them seeing one another.
Do you have any suggestions on what I could do a little differently next time?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually think maybe nothing differently yet, in order to sort of reach a point of "now we can consider this bridge crossed" for you and all of the cats.

In other words, do what you did today repeatedly so that the resident cat and your male cat have more time and opportunity to see each other and reach a state of "ok, this is ok" and for your female cat to become confident enough to come out.

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Thank you for all of your help :)

Ntlaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So. We finally got to a point where our boys aren’t hissing at one another. (My girl is going to take some time) one boy even lays down and shows his belly while making eye contact. But our resident boy will reach his paw in when the other is close. No claws, he did a slight meow but he makes that whenever he wants treats. I’m just wondering if that’s a sign of aggression, he doesn’t seem agitated in anyway. But I don’t want to rush this.I tried to post a video but can’t here.