introducing a stray/semi-feral to a indoor cats household

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question, are you sure that is the carrier you used? The reviews on it are pretty bad, 25% gave it a 1 star rating. Most complained of poor construction, zippers breaking and seams ripped. If I am going to do this I want to do it right and after hearing about the horrors of your one kitty hurting himself, I definitely want to go with a soft carrier.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Quick question, are you sure that is the carrier you used? The reviews on it are pretty bad, 25% gave it a 1 star rating. Most complained of poor construction, zippers breaking and seams ripped. If I am going to do this I want to do it right and after hearing about the horrors of your one kitty hurting himself, I definitely want to go with a soft carrier.
Yep that is the one.  I have been using it for over 2 years and have not had a problem with it.  Yet my guy is not aggressive in it at all.  He is more frightened and doesn't move at all. 

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there again, So I ordered the carrier, it certainly is spacious enough! Question though, do you remember 4 metal pins? There are no instructions and i'm sure they add strength but I don't know where they go. (4 metal rods, about 6 inches long with an hook, or right angle bend at one end.

So, we are taking the next step, offering a kitty litter box with dirt and Dr. Esleys litter and a cat scratch post in the screened porch where he comes in.

Next is putting treats and feeding him in the crate starting tomorrow and we will take it from there.

We live in the city but last night I heard a coyote and was relieved to see him this morning sleeping on his chair! I just want to get him inside in one piece and then we can totally take time in the introductions.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi there again, So I ordered the carrier, it certainly is spacious enough! Question though, do you remember 4 metal pins? There are no instructions and i'm sure they add strength but I don't know where they go. (4 metal rods, about 6 inches long with an hook, or right angle bend at one end.

So, we are taking the next step, offering a kitty litter box with dirt and Dr. Esleys litter and a cat scratch post in the screened porch where he comes in.

Next is putting treats and feeding him in the crate starting tomorrow and we will take it from there.

We live in the city but last night I heard a coyote and was relieved to see him this morning sleeping on his chair! I just want to get him inside in one piece and then we can totally take time in the introductions.
When taking a quick look at mine, it appears they go on the inside of the carrier at the top( the two long sides) and also above and below each window.  They just slide in.

When you start to feed him in the carrier.  Begin just outside of the carrier for a day or two.  THen move it just inside for a day or two.  Keep moving it back every 2-3 days until he is eating all the way in the back.  Just take it slowly. 

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I need advice. Ever since I put the carrier in the room he has changed! He still lets me rub him all over and even purring and head butting and sitting and lying next to me. But, he doesn't sleep in the screen pierce any more and he will leave food if placed inside the crate. He will venture in for a bite or two in the am, not the pm...and get this, if I am there and pet him he will go in and eat, only when in his own foes he leave. my read us when he was TNR, he must have been trapped in the pm and spent some time in it before they recovered him. So how do I get him inside without me pushing him in and loosing his trust? To get him to the vet and then into the spare bedroom?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once he goes into the carrier and you have the opportunity to close the door, go for it! He may be annoyed but once he sees the vet and gets re-settled back into his room, he will adjust.

We all worry so much about losing their trust but believe me, they get over it.

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support...let me clarify. He comes into the screened porch and sleeps there most nights, that's where I feed and pet and play with him and the carrier is. But if I shove him into the carrier and bring him to the vet, once he gets a clean bill of health I wouldn't put him out there. I would put him in the guest bedroom that would be al ready for him. And there he would stay until he calms down and then the process of introducing him to our 3 other cats.

I have read everything that I can put my hands on and seem to be doing most things right.

But, I am still really nervous! Many of the people I have talked to said don't do it, keep him an outdoor kitty, he won't ever get along with the other cats!

He also has been doing a lot of hunting, bringing into the porch and eating birds and mice, though I try to keep him full!

Any last words before I do this? 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be sure in the guest room that the bed is picked up off the floor or laying flat on the floor.  It will be the first place he will run to hide and it's almost impossible to get them out. 

I brought a feral/stray cat into my home over 2 years ago.  He had a room of his own for a solid year.  I also had another cat in the house and a large dog.  It took some time, but he adjusted well and then we started the intro process.  I made lots of mistakes along the way, but in the end it all worked out.  It did take lots of time and effort.  I must say that the feral/stray I brought inside is the sweetest most loving cat.  He most likely had belonged to someone and then they left him behind.  He lived outside as a feral cat for 1.5 - 2 years.  He was very wild and hide under my deck for 6 months before allowing me to see him. 

Thank you so much for helping this cat.  You seem very well organized and very well read.  We are all here to help you along the way.  Let us know how it all goes.

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In October of 2014 I brought in to my house a ferral cat that I had been feeding since she appeard as a 5 month old kitten theprevious April. She was very cautious. I was never able to get closer than 5 feet to her. I had to catch her in a cage trap. I took her to the vet in the cage and then had the vet put her in a carrier to take home.

I had a floor to ceiling cage built in my utility area. When I let her loose in there she went nuts...flying like a frightened bird up and down all over the large cage. I thought I had made a mistage bringing her in.

It is now 14 months later. I named her Glenda. I moved 300 miles from where I brought her in the house. I can now come within 2 feet of her before she runs away. She sleeps with my other 3 cats. I sometime find her sleeping on my bed in the morning and no, Glenda does not dash to the door when it is opened. Actually, she runs away from an open door. I feel so wonderful on cold winter days when I see Glenda cureled up on the sofa with one of her buddies warm and safe.

Was it easy...no. Was it worth it...yes!

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, here is a follow up on Romeo. After Romeo brought in his most recent kill, a Cardinal....with resolve I said that the next morning I was going to get him into the carrier and he was going to the vet and then with a clean bill of health, have him de-wormed, de-flead, vaccinated and nails trimmed.

Oh what a drama! The next morning, I fed snacks to him in the carrier and then zam, 6:00 am zipped him in (I had been practicing the technique with the new carrier I purchased up a recommendation that it was soft sided so he wouldn't hurt himself in a panic)

I left the screen porch to go get my keys, 7:02 he was sitting at the door peering in at me (still there at all?). He had found a small hole and unzipped the door.

I couldn't believe it? So, I got his breakfast and petted him and set the plate right in front of the carrier, gathered the courage and literally grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and his rear end and shoved him in and held him while zipped it up again, making sure it was closed and putting a large towel over it. He was frightened but didn't lash out and try to fight.

So, this time I close the screen door access to outside (his customary way in and out) and go to get my keys and lo and behold, he completely busted through the back wall at the side seem (piece of s*** carrier) and he was climbing in panic up the screened wall. So, again, there is a happy ending.....

I remove the brand s*** carrier, go get our large hard one and go back out and put it in front of the door where he was used to going in and out. I started laying a path a treats (I'm thinking Hansel and Gretel here) and he starts follow them up and then I grab him, thrust him in, tip the carrier up and close him in. 

Covering the carrier with a towel, (I don't know who was worse for wear) and took him to the Vet at 7:00.

Well the rest is all good news, he got a clean bill of health and I took him home around 2:00 to his new bedroom. I let him be until dinner time and then went in, couldn't find him anywhere until he meowed hoarsely from inside the small cloth chair, (yes, inside).

Anyway, the next morning, I crawled under the chair and heard him be a little more talkative and I reached up and pet him.

That night was the best! I got home and did the same thing, calling him and he came out and we had a petting a purr fest and he ate a few snacks.

The next morning, we did the same thing but he ate a little breakfast and I noticed that he used both of his litter boxes (doctored with Dr. Eisy's stuff) for #1 and 2, so that is awesome!

Today is day three, I heard him meow a few time in the night, but same thing, coming out and eating a little.

I know he will be fine, he is just trying to relearn life from the inside out! His concerns now are the big closet mirror that reflects the big windows.

So, thank you all for the support and advice (except for that carrier), he is just a well meaning little kitty trying to survive. I am so glad that he won't be wet, cold, hungry and lonely!

I also am going to take this thing so slowly, he has to be confident in the room until we take the next step into the hallway, and then another room and then I will worry about the introductions to the other cats. Slowly, he goes, step by step.....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad that you were able to persevere and get him in a carrier.  I am the one that recommended the carrier.  I am very sorry it did not work for you.  I have used mine 15+ times with 2 different feral cats and never had a problem.  Once again I am sorry my recommendation caused you so much strife.  I hope the rest of the journey is more uneventful.

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries, you offered all sorts of good advice and the last thing I wanted was for him to get hurt. There were many rainy notes when he would scratch at the glass door peering in, I believe he picked us and did want to be here. Otherwise there would be no way he would have allowed it, he also loves those Temptation snacks, he almost goes into a trance when he eats them...maybe they put something addictive in them to make them so appealing he forgets his fear? I read someplace that their minds are very compartmentalized, there is no room for fear and play at the same time, or mother and fear and he equates food with mother. He nuzzles at the snacks. It's weird, he used to not eat if I was present but now only eats a little when I am there. Well, thanks again, it's all good moving forward and you helped me take the first steps. It's nice to have this sort of forum to listen to everybody's advice from their experience.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hit "return" too soon!

Meant to add that our little feral girl we took in last summer (I mentioned her several times earlier in this thread) has become such an amazing joyous part of our lives. And it seems like every day one of us (either me or my husband) says something like "we're so lucky she chose us." She's given us so much more than we give her!

I may have told this story before ...but I came downstairs one day recently and my husband didn't see/hear me...and I saw something that made me tear up. He was holding Flick, letting her look out the window, and I heard him whisper to her "I promise you'll never be cold or hungry or afraid ever again. We're so lucky you chose us." Do I have the sweetest husband or what?

So needless to say, all of that time we spent integrating her into our established group was more than worth it, as I'm sure it will be for you and Romeo too. Flick says "keep at it-Romeo's worth it!"

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, that is special! My husband is exactly the same way! I have a theory about that actually. Most men like dogs, hate cats. I think it is because dogs do what they say and cats do what they want and most men need to have that control. I think a good test of their character is how they act towards cats. I certainly know that if they can't tolerate a free spirit then we aren't going to get along because at the end of the day, I will still have my opinion! That's my saying, dogs just do what you say but at the end of the day cats still have an opinion!

crazeaboutcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I need a little guidance to make sure I'm doing this right. Romeo has been in the guest bedroom for 9 nights now. He seems to have good days and bad, never mean but scared.

As much as I cat proofed it and provided a couple of comfy spots, his go to is still inside the chair, not on the chair.

We have a routine and I visit him 8 or so times a day to bring food, snacks, play, clean out litter boxes (too which he uses with much gusto)!

Some days he is waiting, purring and wanting to engage and other days not so much. 

He only eats when I am there, though and most the time returns to under and then into the chair.

He seems to becoming accustom to all the house sounds but interestingly, when the room gets stuffy I open the top part of the window to get some air in and he gets frightened by all the outside sounds that he used to live with. If he hears a car he runs etc.

The window is a strange concept for him and he really doesn't like looking out.

The other cats know there is something in there and we play games of flinging treats under the door.

Lately, when he is out and I am leaving or coming in he looks out into the hallway and I let him look through a small opening, even allow the cats to have eye contact.

My original plan was to keep him in the guest room until he felt absolutely secure and safe and didn't hide and then allow him an opportunity to explore the house room by room with the other cats out of the way and always allowing him, his room for retreat.

Is that right? Is he going to at some point stop hiding unless I am there and lure him out with a snack?

The other thing is that he is a short little cat (and now round) and outside spent his time under cars, under the house and low-lying areas (the opposite of one of my cats who lives on the mantelpiece, above the cupboards, on the beds and backs of chairs. He has not explored the chair, the top of the dresser, the top of the cat scratch post, the top of the pedestal bed......he is land locked, which make his room that more uninviting.

What is everyone's thoughts?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he is a bush dweller!!  There are bush dwellers and tree dwellers.  The feral/stray that I brought into the house over 2 years ago is also a bush dweller.  To this day, he rarely jumps onto furniture.  He does have a small perch about 2.5 feet off the ground that he does like to sit on.  Yet he never goes very high. 

If possible, I would remove the chair that he is hiding in.  You want to kind of force him to be out and about.  He can still have hiding spots, but they need to be appropriate.  Maybe get him a cat bed that has two openings where he can get inside and be cozy.  Even a sturdy cardboard box would work. 

As for the sounds he is hearing, it's natural for them to frighten him.  My boy was very afraid of every sound he heard outside too.  I tried opening the top part of the window too, but had to shut it as it frightened him so.  I just used the ceiling fan instead.  For the first year he would hide when he heard mowers, trimmers or snow blowers.  He is better about that now.  Yet, the vacuum still scares him and he will hide for hours. 

A tip for introducing the cats is to get a cheap wooden screen door and attach it to the door frame with tension rods when you want the cats to see each other safely.  This way you do not deface the door.  It's kind of a pain to get it up and down, but it works very well.  I got one at Lowes for $20 and the tension rods were just a few dollars.  I will post a picture below of my set up.  I used a baby gate as reinforcement in the door way and only did this setup with supervision.  You can start by by doing this ( two baby gates stacked up on each other work well too, but you have to be sure they don't end of falling and scare the cats) to just let the cats see each other and maybe sniff.  Next you will want to move to feeding the cats on either side of the door.  I will also post a great video on cat to cat intros.  The key is to take it slow.  I mean really slow.  When I introduced my feral/stray and my resident cat, I rushed the process and it ended up setting me back for months.  It was not fun at all.  It takes so so much patience and so so much work.  Yet it all can depend on the tempermant of the cats. 

Here is the video and below will be the pictures of my screen door set up.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd forgotten our whole dilemma about bringing little feral "Flick" (pictured in posts # 50, 73 & 74 STARTED in 2014 in this forum in post #40!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!! Made me tear up thinking how far from feral our little Flick is now :) (we're not big fans of "dressing up our cats"but she's so tolerant.....purred through the whole "process"...but I digress (I love this little fluffy one SO much!)

Sloooooooow is the big key - @ShadowsRescue screen door is invaluable----when we didn't have that, once we used a louvered room divider - same thing. For us, big key has been providing feelings on opposite sides of the door so all can smell each other it not see each other, which ratchets up the panic/territorial feelings. Short version (thatwe actually do over weeks )--eventually open door just a bit so they can touch/sniffeach other but no more. We often do it (since my husband's home too ) with each of us Ina side, and reward both sidesaftera successful feeding with a little "high value treat"- whatever the cat Rrreereaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy digs!!!! Find their weakness-shaved turkey, gerber chicken baby, cheese (small amounts, tuma, mackerel.....whatever will let them know they REALLYdid good! We work up to "hi value treat" with door widely cracked in front of each other. It's a rocess ---but you've gotten this far!!!! Which is great! And make sure you spend lots of time JUST with Romeo....read to him,sit & read mail & newspaper aloud, even sit and eat dinner with him. Make him feel comfortable -and that he's not alone -someone he's comfortable with - YOU- is on this journey with him! Do more than just breezing in & doing "cat chores " with him-spend some time with him as you can when he's out in the rest of your place. If you have a tv in there -or can move one there, or can bring a laptop in & work or watch videos --- even better.do things that aren't "cat" but include him. Keep us posted!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As for the sounds he is hearing, it's natural for them to frighten him.  My boy was very afraid of every sound he heard outside too.  I tried opening the top part of the window too, but had to shut it as it frightened him so.  I just used the ceiling fan instead.  For the first year he would hide when he heard mowers, trimmers or snow blowers.  He is better about that now.  Yet, the vacuum still scares him and he will hide for hours. 
All our cats hate the vacuum. As soon as I open the closet door, they all hide - sometimes until dinner time!

Last edited by a moderator: