Introducing a second cat to feral cat

Duperous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In January I took in a feral cat, Donny (whose about 2 years old, I have other posts regarding him :p) anyways, he was usually outside with two other kittens. They were always together. (They were also trapped and are currently together at a cat rescue) Since taking him in, we have made a lot of progress, he eats in front of me, plays in front of me (not getting too close though!) he enjoys sitting at the window while I’m in the room. He will not let me touch him, and he still hides when I approach. Which is al expected, but I have noticed That when he sees other feral cats outside he begins meowing and almost howling, is he lonely? Would it be a good idea to introduce another cat to keep him company? The cries are so heart breaking when he’s at the window. 😭
When I would see him outside with the kittens, he was almost protective of them, always around and allowing them to eat the food I would leave before he would. Is another cat a good idea at this point or should I consider holding out?

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not get another cat until he is completely comfortable with you. A new cat could stress him out and make matters worse, and there is no guarantee he will get along with them.

If he was bonded closely to those kittens, he may be calling to the other cats thinking they are the kittens he lost. But it is easy to mistake howling and meowing as friendly when it is actually aggressive. Not saying that he is being aggressive, only that it is common for feral cats to make a howling noise when other cats trespass on their territory.

Maybe try distracting him from the window with toys or treats, to take his mind off it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am on the fence about this as well. True howling usually does not mean I want a friend and could be that he does not want other cats near his home. I am not saying that down the road you could not get another cat, but I think that you need to let him get more used to his new home and also to observe if you think that he wants a friend.