Introducing a new stray cat to a group of stray cats in another location

usommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone here have any ideas about how to introduce one mostly-outdoor block cat to a new block that already has a group of cats living on it? I moved recently and learned that the block kitty on my old block is no longer welcome to live under the front steps of my old building. I'd like to bring her to my new backyard, but there is a group of kitties here already who like to come and hang in our yard. Am I being overly cautious in worrying about introducing a new kitty? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any insight is much appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do you have the ability/means to contain the new kitty for several weeks? Integrating it to the new group notwithstanding, the containment needs to happen so that the new cat becomes acclimated to the new location and sees it as home, rather than trying to get back to the old location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

usommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not really :/ she also is very much an outdoor cat and has never lived inside for any length of time (other than to just come in and say hello or take refuge from the cold for an evening).

usommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a side yard area, that's separate from where the other cats hang out, but it's not totally enclosed...there's a 4-5 foot high chainlink fence on one side and a more open entrance on the street side. do you think if we set up her current bed there that might serve as a decent catio?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not enclosed enough, but maybe some chicken wire to more fully close off any open sides? You'd want to cover the top too so she truly doesn't have a way to get out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago I relocated a cat once in circumstances such as you are describing. The cat left immediately when we got to my house, followed by the resident cats who chased her away. She never returned and I have always felt bad about it. You are between a rock and a hard place and leaving the cat at the old house is not a great solution. I would really try to consider the suggestions that Furballsmom Furballsmom gave and even if they don't work exactly for you, maybe something else will come to mind. She really does need a shelter that she cannot escape from.

usommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies -- how long do you think it would make sense to keep her separated in her own enclosed area? It makes sense why she should be in an enclosed space while she adjusts!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Members who have relocated ferals suggest for at least four weeks so that they become fully acclimated to the new location :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, you need to keep her contained in her new enclosure for at least four weeks. This will give her time to get used to her new home and for the neighbourhood cats to get used to her presence. You could either use a large dog crate or make her the kind of enclosure people keep chickens in, so that there is no way she can get out. If she gets out too soon she'll just try to head for her old home and you'll probably never see her again.

It's a good idea to cover her container for the first week so she can't see outside. Too many new sights and sounds will be overwhelming for her. Cover the enclosure with a tarp or a blanket, then gradually lift up one corner so she can peek outside.

If you have a spare bedroom or bathroom in your new place you could use that as her room at first, then if she's truly miserable inside enclose your outdoor space for her.