Introducing a new puppy to the brood!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be getting an 8 week old golden retriever puppy in 1 week. I have 3 cats aged 18 months, 14 months and 11 months. I have introduced cats and dogs before and never really given it as much thought as introducing cats. I have had goldens in the past and they always have gotten along with the cats I've had. Looking forward to your advice on our introductions! Below is a pic of my beautiful Sadie I lost last April to cancer with my oldest cat who adored her!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take it slow. Ther cats will most likely jump up to a safe height and observe the newcomer, let them see the puppy playing with you and exploring the house. Cats are usually not afraid of small puppies like they are of large grown dogs. The puppy will want to make friends and rush the cats, who will in no uncertain terms teach the puppy to keep its distance. It shouldn't take long, a few weeks for everyone to settle down. The thing is to protect the puppy from scratches to the eyes, or attacks. It usually only takes one swat to let the puppy know not to expect open arms. The longer you can keep direct physical contact from happening and let the cats just observe from a safe place, the easier the introduction will be. If at all possible, the first few times should be with the puppy crated but in the same room so they get used to the smells, sounds, and movement. All of them are young, so I don't think you'll have much trouble at all! a precious family! PS I'm so sorry about your Sadie, may she RIP......

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere condolences on the loss of Sadie. I know how difficult it is to lose a wonderful and loyal dog. :hugs: Thank you for the pic, her memory will live on in your heart. :hearthrob:

One of the most important things when the new puppy comes home is to have an escape route for the cats as well as a safe place for them. This Article on how to make your home bigger has some good advice and ideas:
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – Cat Articles
A crate if used properly is very beneficial especially when you are not home or to give the puppy a time out. Baby gates are helpful as well. Obedience training should be started at an early age, puppy classes are helpful for socialization too. One of my favorite canine authors is Patricia McConnell, particularly her book, The Other End of the Leash.

Best of luck and don't forget to post pics of your new golden pup and his/her name. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links, I will be sure to read them! My cats have two trees where they will be able to get up high (one in family room and one in living room) as well as the furniture/desk etc. We will be crating - one in family room, one in bedroom - so I think that will give them time to see the puppy in her crate and feel comfortable. I'm really not anticipating too many problems and I hope they will all become bonded family member as my three cats have. Here is her 5-6 week old pic.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 5.11.53 AM.png

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the photo, she is absolutely adorable. You must be smitten. :hearthrob: Goldens are such wonderful companions and family dogs. Please keep us posted when she comes home and, of course, always more pics.:camera:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really not anticipating too many problems and I hope they will all become bonded family member as my three cats have. Here is her 5-6 week old pic.
I'm guessing by now she is home and starting to settle in to your household. Any updates on her and the kitties? New pics are always welcome too. :camera:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. She is 15 weeks this week. She is a beautiful dog, but I will tell you I"m struggling. She is very alpha, very nippy, is into everything all the time. She bites us almost all the time. She constantly chases the cats and tries to bite them. With the nicer weather I have been walking her on the pavement (with the vet's blessing) and letting her spend more time supervised in our enclosed yard. I will be happy for her 16 week shots next week so we can go through parks etc. I'm going to be honest it's wearing me down.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to be honest it's wearing me down.
Puppies can definitely be a lot of work. That's one reason why our last dog was a young adult, (1 - 1/2 yrs. old). ;) Hang in there, it will be worth it a year from now. I'm sure she's teething. For that reason I'm guessing you have a variety of toys for her to teethe on. Some chew toys can be frozen which help with swelling/inflammation. You can even tie a towel or washcloth in a knot and put it in the freezer. Once she has all her shots signing up for puppy classes would help too. However, I would not recommend going to a pet store chain for them since there are more knowledgeable experts/trainers who have these type of classes.

As far as chasing the cats, keep a leash on her and let her drag it around the house when the cats are out so you can grab it and give a correction. You can also put her in a crate to safely let the cats explore and/or put up baby gates. I'm sure you already know these tips but I just thought I would mention them. Get lots of rest since puppies have an abundance of energy. :biggrin: Thanks for the update.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes we have been doing all those things and the progress is just really slow. I will try the frozen washcloth though, hadn't thought of that. She is currently outside with a freezer treat (I made it in a small container with water, apple, dog cookies and carrots and froze) so that will keep her busy! Puppy classes would be great, but I really don't see that happening for some time in our current state. We do keep her on a leash in the house so I can grab her quick and we have been actively working on her sitting and staying as the cats walk by. I am a frontline worker and I try to work with her the 4 days I am home, but there are 3 I'm gone all day and I don't think there is the consistency sometimes that should be. I'm also tired, probably irritable to some extent with shorter patience that I usually have which I'm sure is playing into it. Thanks though for your input. I just had a nice nap with 2 of my three cats and there calmness helps a lot!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can even tie a towel or washcloth in a knot and put it in the freezer.
This was a HUGE HIT! Thank you! I'm going to do some more today and put a smidgeon of salt free chicken broth on them. She carried this in her mouth while greeting my husband this morning instead of biting him!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puppies are notorious for nipping and being naughty, just like the little whirlwinds we call kittens! She will outgrow it, and since dogs are pack animals will look up to you for guidance. Just like with small children it takes much repetition and a firm guideline to follow. Letting a small divergence from training slip by means a long backslide, and in many instances, starting over. Don't be afraid to let your displeasure be known, dogs are very sensitive to our emotions and moods. I have found that giving much praise and concentrating on what is good behavior beats concentrating on the bad. Distraction is great too, just as you have found out, a mouth that has something in it cannot nip! Beautiful little family!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This was a HUGE HIT! Thank you! I'm going to do some more today and put a smidgeon of salt free chicken broth on them. She carried this in her mouth while greeting my husband this morning instead of biting him!
Glad it worked! :thumbsup: Sometimes the homemade, practical things we can make ourselves work better than buying an expensive toy or product that our pets ignore.;)