introducing a new kitten

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 2 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all! it’s been a long while since i posted here, i adopted quinn under 3 years ago (she’ll be 3 on june 22nd :party:) and i’ve been thinking of getting her a friend recently.

sadly when she was younger i wasn’t in the financial position to have more than one cat, but i am now, and i really think she’d benefit from another cat around the house. my main concern is that we adopted her at 8 weeks old, and due to her being the final kitten left, ever since she’s never been around another cat.

she’s seen cats in our garden and has been quite curious, and never shown any negative behaviours towards them like vocalisations or getting angry, and never seems stressed when i come home smelling like tons of different cats (i study animal management so am often around random animals and also love petting random cats in the street lol)

i just worry that she’s going to hate the cat/kitten or that she’s never going to warm up to it. i know how to introduce slowly but has anyone got anything that worked well specifically for them? i just worry she’s gonna be too rough with the kitten, since she was separated from her siblings at a younger age and can be a little biter at times!!

thank you for any advice!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is the crux of it... you just won't know. That being said, it is great you are contemplating this beforehand. Our cat Henry can be a bit wild so we contemplated for a while on whether to even get. 2nd cat. Cats can be fine on their own - often it is us who think they need a friend. We worried and worried whether he would do okay with a 2nd cat (namely not get too rough or relentless). We went to the shelters over and over, always hesitating. Always hoping we'd somehow find a kitten with the right personality. Not sure how we were supposed to know in such a short and strange environment though. And then one day we just did it. And somehow she turned out to be such a loving cat who tolerates his wild play. I know we lucked out bc our past cats were merely housemates (which is okay too). So you may just have to take the leap!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three year olds have a pretty high chance of befriending a kitten after a period of unhappiness, and that she is chill seeing cats in the garden is not totally irrelevant (just mostly irrelevant, as in the house can be different). As Kris said, you never know, but I don't see much reason to be overly concerned here.

As far as playing too rough, its mostly one year old adults that do that, and its not such a big deal in any event. That shouldn't be a concern.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
As the others have said it shouldn't bee too difficult.

My one bit of advice is to find a kitten who is still accustomed to being in a group. If the kitten is used to sharing/compromising it'll be more likely to let your older one take the lead.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered adopting an adult cat from a rescue? I've seen people on this forum recommend that you should get a new cat about the same age as the existing one(s), and also that it's better to get kittens in pairs so they have a playmate to be a crazy kitten with. On the other hand, I've also seen people say that an adult cat might accept a kitten because they're less likely to perceive this as a threat to their territory.

From what you've said about Quinn, it sounds like she wouldn't have a problem, but you should be informed by her personality. Would she be able to cope with a hyperactive kitten, or would she think it was wonderful? Would she be better with a cat about her age, or would she see them as a threat to her territory? If you decide to go ahead with either option, always take introductions slowly, step by step, being prepared to go back a step if things don't go well. These articles might be useful:

A Kitten or an Older Cat - Which Should You Choose?
How to Help a New Cat Adjust to Your Home
How to Successfully Introduce Cats
How to Introduce a Kitten to an Older Cat
Introducing Cats to Cats

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey!
I would consider an older cat as well. Visit some at shelters and interact with a few. You want to watch for one that is unreactive to other cats. That's a personality trait rather than the description "used to other cats" which can mean any personality that was forced to coexist with other cats.

Look to match based on personality, not age. Find one who likes to do similar activities as your cat. This helps with bonding.

I truly thought we would never find another cat because of the list of "qualifications" needed. And then we met Ghost by happenstance. A literal unicorn. So it's very possible, and you are already putting a lot of thought into it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi all! it’s been a long while since i posted here, i adopted quinn under 3 years ago (she’ll be 3 on june 22nd :party:) and i’ve been thinking of getting her a friend recently.
She may have a great birthday with a new friend to play with!