Introducing a New Kitten

MyUserName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TL;DR - Got a new kitten and introduction was going we'll until face to face meeting. Older cat seems to be harassing the kitten and not too sure what's next.

Adopted a stray kitten [F ~6mo] I found in the neighborhood about 3-4 months ago and my resident cat [F 1.5yo] isn't making things easy.

Followed all of the guides out there - separate rooms at first, smell transfer, space swap and the past couple months the door to the kittens room has been propped open about 2" so they can interact.

When the door is cracked they get along fine and even seem to play at times, but when the door is opened the resident cat harasses the kitten to no end. She'll chase the kitten wherever she goes and starts to bat at her until I make some loud noises (coins in an empty can) then she'll back off for a bit and we start all over again. Longest time so far was about 2-3 min.
If the kitten is just sitting still then the resident cat will run at her at full speed and stop short, assuming this is to get her running again.

Older cat seems to be in more of a playful mood while she's at it and doesn't seem to be using her claws, but started clipping them just to be safe.
Kitten is not a fan of this she generally ends up cowering under something hissing and looking for an escape.

Been at it for about 3 weeks for a few hours a day on most days and no progress.

Guess the question I have is do I just let them hash it out as long as it doesn't escalate into a fight or do I continue to intervene. Starting to feel like I'm just being over protective of the kitten and slowing the process as a result.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance for the help.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be trying to manage the process too hard. Cats of this age will become friends well over 80% of the time, and where its the kitten that is hesitant and not the older cat, the odds are even better. Kittens are too adapitble to stay terrified for long -- cats get less adaptible as they age, with kittens being the absolute best at (eventually) adapting to changes. But they need unrestricted time together to work things out, for the kitten to get over fear of the size difference and overly playfull 1 1/2 year old. It probably doesn't help that your making loud noises. Absent some sign that the bigger cat is being hostile, instead of just overly playful which is super common for 1 1/2, the best best is to let them work it out.

Although I'd bet good money that the 1 1/2 year old is just your typical overly eager overly active young adult, put up a video if you have doubts. Its hard to insert it directly, but if you put it on youtube or wherever, putting a link in a post is easy.

TLDR You've been trying hard, doing the generally right things, but given the ages, I think you have to let them do their thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think A ArtNJ is right on the money. The only thing I would suggest is buying a pair of baby gates, and letting the kitten have a room to herself for an hour or so at a time. Just a bit of rest between learning how to deal with the older, very active cat. They can still see/smell/communicate with each other, but the little one can get some relaxation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyUserName

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well ArtNJ, you were dead on. Just gave them some uninterrupted time alone and all of 3 days later they are getting along fine. Older cat still tries to play, but will leave the kitten alone after a bit. Kitten now has free roam of the house and haven't had a single incident yet.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.