Introducing A New Kitten

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 9 month old kitten named Nala. She is generally really skiddish but very sweet and playful. I got a month old kitten yesterday and my kitten just stared at it and hissed at her. So now I moved my new kitten, mufasa, to the bathroom. She has a bed with a roof, toys, litter box, food and water. I moved everything out of the way. Was that the right move? I only have a one bedroom apt. How long do they need to be separated? Is hissing normal? If so how do I know when she's ready to meet him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, after I hung out with my new kitten she hissed at me. I'm assuming it's because I had his scent on me. But now she doesn't hiss at me but she seems to be keeping her distance a bit more. Maybe I'm just going insane haha

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You're not going insane, don't worry. catman.gif Cat introductions can be filled with little moments like these and some hissing is absolutely normal.

You did the right thing by separating your kitten for now. There is no set time for how long to keep your two kittens apart - it's an individual thing depending on the cat. However, there is an article you might want to read because it describes all the steps that go into a successful introduction: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide If you follow this process, you greatly increase the chance that your cats will get along in the future. The fact that your Resident Kitten hissed at Mufasa is not an indication that things will go poorly, by the way. Resident Kitten is just responding to the appearance of a strange cat and letting her know who is the boss. Cats are territorial and your first kitten is feeling like her's has been invaded.

Sending lots of best wishes that everything goes well. And please write back if you have any problems. Oh, and last, but certainly not least, welcome to TCS! sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-101.gif

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, dear! I just noticed how long ago you sent in your question! I can not apologize enough that no one got back to you before now. We've switched over to a new platform and I'm afraid a lot of posts were missed while we were getting used to it. I am SO sorry!

By now your introduction problems may be resolved. How are things going? I hope your kittens are getting along and bringing you the joy a pair of such sweethearts can bring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh it's no problem! They are now best friends. They play and sleep together. Nala has definitely taken the mother card for sure. Thank you for checking in :)
Oh, dear! I just noticed how long ago you sent in your question! I can not apologize enough that no one got back to you before now. We've switched over to a new platform and I'm afraid a lot of posts were missed while we were getting used to it. I am SO sorry!

By now your introduction problems may be resolved. How are things going? I hope your kittens are getting along and bringing you the joy a pair of such sweethearts can bring!

Attachments