Introducing a New Female to M/F cats

hoons724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've adopted and successfully introduced two separate rescue cats to our home. The first cat (1 year old female tortie) was introduced to our resident 5 year old female weiner-dog. The assimilation was quick and successful and the two tolerated each other and were never threatened nor threatening to each other. A few months later, we rescued a 1 year old male siamese cat. Again the introductions were quick and successful. The dog didn't mind her new mates and the two cats quickly became friends playing together often.

Now a year later, we are considering rescuing yet another cat. A one year old siamese mix female (she has the siamese 'wedge' head, blue eyes, but calico-type points).

My question is, since I now have a resident male and female cat, will this create a new dynamic in introducing another female? Can I expect the resident female to be hostile towards the new female because of the male or should the process be the same as the first two?

My wife seems to think this will work just like before, but I'm concerned it will be completely different and more difficult due to the gender situation.

Some info that may be relevant: The cats are all indoor cats, they all have all their claws and all three are spayed/neutered and healthy. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!!!

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a spayed female and a neutered male when I found Chiquita on my doorstep. Chiquita is a tortoishell so I knew right away she was a female. Looked (and proved by vet) to be about 6 months old unspayed female. I had heard about the problem of introducing females to each other so I was nervous. I used the introduction method recommended by this site. After 1 week, I allowed Chiquita out of her safe room. Mojo, the male, took to her like a long lost friend. Dusky, the female, would let her approach but would hiss (never growl) and bat a paw for the first week of communal living. They are now licking each other, but if Chiquita is on play mode and Mojo is not available she will pounce on Dusky. Dusky will hiss at her if she is too rambunctious but will never engage. Chiquita is now exhibiting signs of wanting to suckle Dusky, something Mojo did as a kitten, even though Dusky was spayed when I brought him home. They are all getting along just fine. Make sure you follow the introduction steps and all will be good!