Introducing a new cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, we are generally successful drawing Cora away from the other girls but everytime she is wanting to play which seems like a good thing. Belle is a difficult child, we got her from a breeder at a cat show and she does not fit the breed standard for scottish folds, she is not at all cuddly or playful, she has always been extremely picky over food and unresponsive ignoring attempts to get her to play unless it suited her. When Aza arrived she immediately jumped into playing and Belle just stepped back and let her do all that hard work and that has been the last 4 years or so. We have found a couple of new toys which are getting a reaction from Belle but hi energy play is not in her vocabulary and cuddling is definitely out. I have seen Jackson's programs (which seem a bit too miraculous to be real) and I have been aware of the under bed blocking but while we do have a big apartment we don't have any materials to block off the bed so that is unfortunately out.
"Thanks for your reply, " - You are very welcome. Of course, anytime.

"we are generally successful drawing Cora away from the other girls " - That is really terrific and should show the resident cats that she does not pose a threat.

"but everytime she is wanting to play which seems like a good thing." - Play is a very good thing. It can be mis-interpreted but eventually it is communicated that they want to play and don't mean harm. Like everything, it often takes time and repetition. But it really is terrific. Cora is being extremely good and helpful.

" Belle is a difficult child, we got her from a breeder at a cat show and she does not fit the breed standard for scottish folds, she is not at all cuddly or playful, she has always been extremely picky over food and unresponsive ignoring attempts to get her to play unless it suited her." - OK, good to know. So if confidence building doesn't work as well then try to distract Cora to make sure it is a positive encounter. She'll learn that Cora is not a threat. Play is just one part of confidence building. Food, Height and Love (which can be anything from eye kisses, to safe rubbing, to just positive encounters, hanging out, etc). Some cats build confidence by just being left alone, not forced to do anything etc. As long as they are happy, doing what they want to do.

" When Aza arrived she immediately jumped into playing and Belle just stepped back and let her do all that hard work and that has been the last 4 years or so. " - Ok

"We have found a couple of new toys which are getting a reaction from Belle but hi energy play is not in her vocabulary" - Ok, even a little play is great. Then feed after play.

" and cuddling is definitely out." - Ok, that is fine. Love can be eye kisses, just hanging out. Warm and comfy bedding. Things like that. There are many ways to make her feel loved, safe, comfortable and at home.

" I have seen Jackson's programs (which seem a bit too miraculous to be real) and I have been aware of the under bed blocking but while we do have a big apartment we don't have any materials to block off the bed so that is unfortunately out." - Ok. Maybe storage boxes, or something. The reason we want to block off low places is we don't want a "dead end" as a cat that feels trapped might have only fight to get out of. So we always want to try to eliminate one way only places. So we want multiple "escape routes". That is why Height can be a positive for confidence in addition to being able to surveil the large area, etc.

Don't worry. They are doing great, I am really only reading positives. Sure. Belle may not be perfect BUT she is doing great and accepting for the most. I don't read anything to suggest there is going to be a real issue. We have some work but normal work. Aza is going to be a big help I think in helping Belle along and Cora is doing everything right. And Belle is actually doing really well so I really am not worried. It may not be going as fast as you want but it is going great. And the more trust you have in them the more they should have in each other.

All is going to be well. Just ask anything anytime and update us. I am really happy at this update. Keep up the great work!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we are now approaching the end game, winter has finally arrived in Kiev with daytime temperatures of - 7c so we have been really working the introduction and with the aid of some dried rosehip and YouTube TV for cats the girls are now spending several hours together. We are still getting hisses but they are mostly when Cora encounters Belle or Aza unexpectedly and we are not brave enough yet to let them sleep together but I can see it coming. The picture shows Cora high near the TV, Aza relaxed on the rocking chair and not really visible Belle under the chair
IMG-3467c604b4562131f5f80924430e91b9-V.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we are now approaching the end game, winter has finally arrived in Kiev with daytime temperatures of - 7c so we have been really working the introduction and with the aid of some dried rosehip and YouTube TV for cats the girls are now spending several hours together. We are still getting hisses but they are mostly when Cora encounters Belle or Aza unexpectedly and we are not brave enough yet to let them sleep together but I can see it coming. The picture shows Cora high near the TV, Aza relaxed on the rocking chair and not really visible Belle under the chair View attachment 405034
WOW!!! This is GREAT!!!! (other than those cold temps!!!!) :)

Belle is difficult to see but Aza and Cora look GORGEOUS!!!

GREAT JOB!!! Keep up the great work!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent update. :clap:

I can relate to your -7C temps, as we've had a couple cold days here in Canada too. :cold:

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 nights ago Belle and Aza were closed in the living room while Cora was with us when at about 4 AM there was a horrible scream and a cat rushed under my bed, when I investigated we found that Belle and Aza had managed to open the door and I had Belle and Cora under the bed. I think Cora reacted noisily because of surprise. There was no conflict, not hissing swiping or anything else, Belle came out when called and everything ended up OK. We are now beyond introductions, they are learning to live with each other - there are still hisses when they get two close but as Gru says "there must be a minimum of 6 feet between Cora and any other cats - especially that one". Life is settling down and the braver we get the better they respond. I still don't think we will be leaving all doors open this year but I am sure that soon I will be posting pictures of 3 cats sleeping in one place

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you alll and all of your furry kids

Paul Alina, Aza,Bell and Cora

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 nights ago Belle and Aza were closed in the living room while Cora was with us when at about 4 AM there was a horrible scream and a cat rushed under my bed, when I investigated we found that Belle and Aza had managed to open the door and I had Belle and Cora under the bed. I think Cora reacted noisily because of surprise. There was no conflict, not hissing swiping or anything else, Belle came out when called and everything ended up OK. We are now beyond introductions, they are learning to live with each other - there are still hisses when they get two close but as Gru says "there must be a minimum of 6 feet between Cora and any other cats - especially that one". Life is settling down and the braver we get the better they respond. I still don't think we will be leaving all doors open this year but I am sure that soon I will be posting pictures of 3 cats sleeping in one place

"2 nights ago Belle and Aza were closed in the living room while Cora was with us when at about 4 AM there was a horrible scream and a cat rushed under my bed, when I investigated we found that Belle and Aza had managed to open the door and I had Belle and Cora under the bed." - Ok

" I think Cora reacted noisily because of surprise. " - Sounds right.

"There was no conflict, not hissing swiping or anything else," - GREAT

" Belle came out when called and everything ended up OK." - Great. how they act after tells us how severe they thought it was. Sounds like they were fine. :)

" We are now beyond introductions, they are learning to live with each other - there are still hisses when they get two close but as Gru says "there must be a minimum of 6 feet between Cora and any other cats - especially that one"." - GREAT!!!

" Life is settling down and the braver we get the better they respond." - Great. Exactly, cats respond to our emotions so the more confident we are the more they tend to be.

" I still don't think we will be leaving all doors open this year" - We'll see

" but I am sure that soon I will be posting pictures of 3 cats sleeping in one place" - Awwwwwwwww

"Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you alll and all of your furry kids" - Thank you. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours!!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

Just thinking about you and your family and everyone there. Hoping everything stays safe. I wish and hope more can be done to keep all our friends there safe. All I can personally do is offer my prayers for you all. I hope they are answered.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Calico,
Thanks for your prayers, nothing is more powerful or welcome - I cannot say too much as I don't want to upset the moderators again but I can say GREAT NEWS!!.

Cora and Aza have been sitting around my tablet watching you tube videos of birds mice and creepy crawlies and having what seems like a good time, Cora did hiss at Aza tonight but I don't think she was expecting to have her bum sniffed at. Cora and Belle is still a work in progress not least because Belle is a lazy bum who spends a lot of time asleep, when they are together they are still spending a lot of time staring at each other but we are watching their interactions while still letting them act as freely as possible - we are sure we are making progress but we are not ready to let them be together while we are sleeping, eating or out yet. Time is our friend

Lots of love

Paul and Alina
3 kitties.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Calico,
Thanks for your prayers, nothing is more powerful or welcome - I cannot say too much as I don't want to upset the moderators again but I can say GREAT NEWS!!.

Cora and Aza have been sitting around my tablet watching you tube videos of birds mice and creepy crawlies and having what seems like a good time, Cora did hiss at Aza tonight but I don't think she was expecting to have her bum sniffed at. Cora and Belle is still a work in progress not least because Belle is a lazy bum who spends a lot of time asleep, when they are together they are still spending a lot of time staring at each other but we are watching their interactions while still letting them act as freely as possible - we are sure we are making progress but we are not ready to let them be together while we are sleeping, eating or out yet. Time is our friend

Lots of love

Paul and AlinaView attachment 410039
"Thanks for your prayers, nothing is more powerful or welcome" - You are very welcome. I hope they are answered.

" - I cannot say too much as I don't want to upset the moderators again but I can say GREAT NEWS!!." - Understood.

"Cora and Aza have been sitting around my tablet watching you tube videos of birds mice and creepy crawlies and having what seems like a good time," - Awwwww, FANTASTIC!!!! Positive Encounter!! :)

"Cora did hiss at Aza tonight but I don't think she was expecting to have her bum sniffed at."- A hiss is just communication and if ti si respected that is totally fine. Yep, a bit too much in her "personal space". :)

" Cora and Belle is still a work in progress" - Ok

" not least because Belle is a lazy bum who spends a lot of time asleep," - Hahahahaha. Bella can't be too afraid or scared though.........

" when they are together they are still spending a lot of time staring at each other" - Ok, try to get them to look away from each other. If they can get that trust and make it into a positive it can be really good.

" but we are watching their interactions while still letting them act as freely as possible" - Great.

" - we are sure we are making progress" - It sounds like it. As long as nothing really negative is happening it will build trust.

"but we are not ready to let them be together while we are sleeping, eating or out yet." - Yes, that is fine. I really believe it is all about making every encounter as positive as possible while avoiding or minimizing negative encounters while making those positive associations.

" Time is our friend" - Agreed!!!

Maybe Aza will be the bridge to more progress.

Keep up the great work. The picture looks amazing!!! If they are doing that well they are going to be just fine in time.

Please keep us up on the progress. :)

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have some pretty huge progress, after Aza and Cora spent some time together watching YouTube we have felt comfortable going out and leaving the two of them together and I would even be happy with them overnight. Still working on Belle though. She came within a metre of Cora just now and there was a very noisy but no contact reaction. I just wish life would slow down a little to give us more time with the 3 kitties together.

Paul
Kiev

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have some pretty huge progress, after Aza and Cora spent some time together watching YouTube we have felt comfortable going out and leaving the two of them together and I would even be happy with them overnight. Still working on Belle though. She came within a metre of Cora just now and there was a very noisy but no contact reaction. I just wish life would slow down a little to give us more time with the 3 kitties together.

Paul
Kiev
"We have some pretty huge progress," - Great!!!

" after Aza and Cora spent some time together watching YouTube we have felt comfortable going out and leaving the two of them together" - WOW!!!

" and I would even be happy with them overnight." - Great!!!

" Still working on Belle though." - Yes, understandable.

" She came within a metre of Cora just now and there was a very noisy but no contact reaction." - Ok, noise is a warning. So if nothing bad happens after the noise (the noise is respected) then it actually is not bad at all. If it avoids a negative then it actually is positive.

How did Cora act?

How did each act after this encounter? If they were "normal" shortly after that would be a great sign.

" I just wish life would slow down a little to give us more time with the 3 kitties together." - Yes, agreed. :/

But it sounds like the cats are doing pretty well. As long as there is no fighting and everyone is mostly happy then it is not so bad.

So far all seems good and their future together looks good. Belle may never be close to Cora but as long as they can live happily together that is all we can ask. Though maybe Cora will win over Belle...............

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Calico, Belle was trying to walk past Cora into the kitchen when Cora screamed at her and then ran into the kitchen herself. There were no after effects Belle doesn't seem upset and Cora seemed to forget about it very quickly. So we are hopeful that we are making progress.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Calico, Belle was trying to walk past Cora into the kitchen when Cora screamed at her and then ran into the kitchen herself. There were no after effects Belle doesn't seem upset and Cora seemed to forget about it very quickly. So we are hopeful that we are making progress.
"Hi Calico," - Hi!!

" Belle was trying to walk past Cora into the kitchen when Cora screamed at her and then ran into the kitchen herself." - Ok. Interesting.
How was Belle walking? Normal? More slowly? Lower to the ground? What was her tail position?

How did Cora run back into the kitchen? Low to the ground? Negative body language?

Was Cora more defensive? Did Belle show any signs of intimidation etc?

"There were no after effects Belle doesn't seem upset" - GREAT!!!

" and Cora seemed to forget about it very quickly." - GREAT!!!

How they act after tells us a lot about what they thought about it. So a "fast rebound" suggests it was not a big deal. More of a defensive, "don't hurt me" type response.

Given everything I know it sounds like it was fine and something that will help build trust in time. Not an issue at all.

" So we are hopeful that we are making progress."- I think they are!! :)

Keep up the great work!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul and Alina and Aza, Belle and Cora,

I know you may not read this until later but I wanted to know you are all in my mind and my prayers are for you, your family and all the people of Ukraine. My heart is broken, my sadness is great, but my love for you all is stronger than ever. I hope my prayers and all those prayers will be answered and that your health, safety, freedom and happiness thrive forever. These times are so difficult and horrific but good and great will triumph. You all are always in my heart and my prayers.

With all our love. :itslove:

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your mail, it means a lot to hear this support. Aza and Cora are still getting along amazingly well I was trying to feed Cora tonight at one end of the kitchen while Alina was getting ready to feed Aza and Belle at the door but I ended up with Cora and Aza wrapping themselves around my legs, very sweet. Cora is still hissing at Belle every time they see each other but as long as we watch nothing has escalated. We need to be very aware that it's Belle who is being the aggressor and when Cora is trying to get away it sounds absolutely dreadful but Cora can jump onto the fridge and the kitchen units where Belle only gets up there if we put a scratching post in place for her to use as a ladder so Cora has a safe place to retreat to and it's high level for superiority. We will keep trying to wear them down as much as we can in case we have to take to the underground parking but at present we are ok in our apartment.

The vermin repellent is working and the Russian Rats and their Belarusian fleas are still outside the city thanks God!

Paul and Alina
Kiev

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Solidarity completely! Looking forward to it FINISHING and we can come help you rebuild! Anything we can do???? Please stay safe and keep us updated on your well-being. 🇺🇦

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, We are in Solomonski Raion which is south and west of the centre but the Russians are currently to the north apparently they haven't been able to advance south at all today, we manage to get out today to a local supermarket and were able to stock up very well and share with an old friend of Alina's, Rita is 86 and lives on her own with a tiny pension so she is going to be ok for a week or so.

All I can suggest is prayer and donations to the international red cross we will keep our heads down

Paul and Alina 🇬🇧🇺🇦