Introducing a new cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we made some progress, eating by the door is going well. we decided to let the kids see each other and yes there was some screaming and swiping at the glass, today we repeated this with Belle and Aza on the balcony and Cora in the apartment. Cora walked away so our problem is basically Belle provoking Cora. Moving past this is our next problem and I guess that is just down to time :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck. Hopefully in time, they'll get along well enough to all have full run of the apartment.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We seem to be at an impasse, The cats need to see each other in order to be acclimatized but if I leave the room Belle and Cora are at the window, waving paws and shouting at each other - if they were together the fur would be flying. I have no idea at all what I can do to get past this except keep doing what we are doing. Belle is a notoriously fussy eater but when they are eating there are no problems, face to face even but I can't keep feeding them 24/7 Aza is already 4.8 kilos and looking portly, Belle and Cora are at 3.8 kilos and I don't wnt them any heavier. Ideas please !!!!!

Paul9856

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little more on this, Belle is approaching the door and window and then we get a hissing and swiping match but its not protracted and Belle IS walking away as is Cora so I have some hope that once they meet in the fur and without restraint we may have a fight or two as they establish the pecking order but that it won't be constant - please God

Paul9856

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advice in Russian suggests that there is a limit to how much benefit we get from feeding the kitties together, yes they ignore each other while eating but then we are straight back to the same old. Belle and Cora have just met with Cora on a loose lead. There was no actively hostile action, some hissing when the distance closes BUT the weather forecast suggests we only have a week before we can no longer use one balcony so we are being advised to just let them meet and only step in if it gets violent. What do you suggest? Please help as you are my only source of information in English and the alternative is a Ukrainian villager who may not be as concerned

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I unfortunately have never actually introduced cats, so my advice only comes from what I've learned here on the site. But if you do try letting them meet, do not use your hands to try to separate them if a fight occurs. Have a piece of cardboard, or something like that, which you can put between them to separate them.

Hissing, even growling, isn't all bad. It's bloodshed or fur flying that you need to watch for, and if it comes to that, you'll probably need to separate them again, and start over at the beginning with the introductions.

Good luck.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I hadn't expected to do any introduction due to a visit to the dentist but we cked up our courage to try and with Cora in a harness and a packet of tuna bits for distraction we tried an off lead intro. Only about 5 minutes although it felt like hours, a couple of hisses and one swipe which had both cats heading in opposite directions so we are calling this a success and tomorrow we will try for all day (or 10 minutes in real time)

Paul and Alina :catrub: