Introducing a deaf cat to another cat.

Jmusc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a deaf cat 2 weeks ago from the Humane Society. Let me start off by saying she is the sweetest thing ever. I have been moving very slowly with introducing her to our resident cat. They have been doing great with one exception... when the resident cat moves unexpectedly the deaf cat gets defensive and tries to attack her. I understand why she does it but I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and if so what did you do?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Deaf Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Socializing deaf kitten with older resident cat.
Teaching and Training a Deaf Cat

Welcome to The Cat Site! It is great that you have given a home to a special needs kitty. You sound quite experienced with cats and since the introduction is actually going very well, the articles may provide only a little more additional information. Your question is vey specific to the deaf cat being startled by the other resident, not aggression coming from other sources, and I wonder if over time this will abate. You have only had the new cat for 2 weeks, so she is still adjusting to your life and family. She may have a mixed, not necessarily bad, background and that is causing her to be cautious in her new surroundings.

Mr. Meow Mr. Meow ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmusc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Deaf Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Socializing deaf kitten with older resident cat.
Teaching and Training a Deaf Cat

Welcome to The Cat Site! It is great that you have given a home to a special needs kitty. You sound quite experienced with cats and since the introduction is actually going very well, the articles may provide only a little more additional information. Your question is vey specific to the deaf cat being startled by the other resident, not aggression coming from other sources, and I wonder if over time this will abate. You have only had the new cat for 2 weeks, so she is still adjusting to your life and family. She may have a mixed, not necessarily bad, background and that is causing her to be cautious in her new surroundings.

Mr. Meow Mr. Meow ?
Thank you for recommending the Articles. I have been doing a lot of research but really couldn't find a lot of info on deaf cat introductions with other Cats. Every article I have come across says it can be very challenging. As of right now I don't leave them together unattended. The way I see it is if both Cats can have their back to one another they feel somewhat safe...so I think we are headed in the right direction. I think it is just going to take time and figuring each other out. We have her adoption check up visit on Thursday and I plan on asking the vet this same question.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, been busy with work and it's been hard to check in here.
I do have experience in this area. So for starters, we'll focus on your other cat and what can be done to help ease the introduction process.
Don't assume that your current cat can/will understand that your other cat cannot hear. With this in mind, small changes that will be helpful for your deaf cat but almost unnoticeable for your hearing cat are going to be important. One thing I'd suggest is to get a collar with lights on it and put it on your cat that can hear. The lights will allow your deaf cat to see/notice your other cat easier, reducing the chance of your hearing cat sneaking up on your deaf cat. Another thought is a safe, non-toxic "scent" (either in wipes, spray, dry shampoo etc.) to put on your cat that can hear. The smell will also help your deaf cat figure out where your other cat is easier. You can also give deaf kitty places to hide where her back is protected so no one can sneak up on her.
Now, for what you (and other humans) can do to help out. Toys that have smells, tastes and lights are good enrichment items. Access to windows to see birds (or even cracked) to get the smells of the outside world. Leaving the tv on with a "cat video" playing is another good example. One thing you should always do to avoid having fear accidentally redirected on you, is to walk heavy into any room she's in. You want her to feel the vibrations so she's not accidentally startled. You can also use a back scratcher to get her attention (either with a tap on the back, or to wave it in her line of sight), as using your hands or feet can put you in a dangerous position if you assume she sees you, but she actually doesn't. And finally, search for ways to teach your cat sign language. Yes, it's possible! Getting your cat to understand things like "play", "food", "come", and much more is not just mentally enriching for your cat, but it's also a great bonding experience for you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmusc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, been busy with work and it's been hard to check in here.
I do have experience in this area. So for starters, we'll focus on your other cat and what can be done to help ease the introduction process.
Don't assume that your current cat can/will understand that your other cat cannot hear. With this in mind, small changes that will be helpful for your deaf cat but almost unnoticeable for your hearing cat are going to be important. One thing I'd suggest is to get a collar with lights on it and put it on your cat that can hear. The lights will allow your deaf cat to see/notice your other cat easier, reducing the chance of your hearing cat sneaking up on your deaf cat. Another thought is a safe, non-toxic "scent" (either in wipes, spray, dry shampoo etc.) to put on your cat that can hear. The smell will also help your deaf cat figure out where your other cat is easier. You can also give deaf kitty places to hide where her back is protected so no one can sneak up on her.
Now, for what you (and other humans) can do to help out. Toys that have smells, tastes and lights are good enrichment items. Access to windows to see birds (or even cracked) to get the smells of the outside world. Leaving the tv on with a "cat video" playing is another good example. One thing you should always do to avoid having fear accidentally redirected on you, is to walk heavy into any room she's in. You want her to feel the vibrations so she's not accidentally startled. You can also use a back scratcher to get her attention (either with a tap on the back, or to wave it in her line of sight), as using your hands or feet can put you in a dangerous position if you assume she sees you, but she actually doesn't. And finally, search for ways to teach your cat sign language. Yes, it's possible! Getting your cat to understand things like "play", "food", "come", and much more is not just mentally enriching for your cat, but it's also a great bonding experience for you both.
These are really great tips! Thank you!